NATION

PASSWORD

Rainbledon: My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:21 pm

Tokuopolis
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 04, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Tokuopolis » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:33 pm

I was wondering if anyone made an updated version of this PMV with the mean 3 (as the Team Rocket Trio) and Grogar (as Giovanni)?

Does anyone else think it's weird that the other major races like Dragons, Griffons and Yaks never had a language of their own established but minor races like the Breezies and Zebras did?
Last edited by Tokuopolis on Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:56 am, edited 4 times in total.
I like Telegrams. My nation may or may not reflect my real views(it depends what I feel like).
Want to talk about your favourite western animations? Do it here!
“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.”-Voltaire (:P)
I'm not a professional. I'm a Pterosaur. Fandom Variety. Minneapolis and Thermopolis aren't in Greece, and neither am I.

Frenequesta
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 22, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Frenequesta » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:50 pm

Tokuopolis wrote:Does anyone else think it's weird that the other major races like Dragons, Griffons and Yaks never had a language of their own established but minor races like the Breezies and Zebras did?

Indeed. Though it’s implied the Yaks do have a native language based on common verbal tics, like using proper nouns where pronouns would be more appropriate, dropping articles, and generally simpler sentence structures when speaking. Griffons I can explain by the fact that there is a longer history of pony-griffon relations than between ponies and other species (if Gilda being in Dash’s flight camp is any indication).

Dragons are the toughest ones to explain. We’re told that ponies know very little about dragons, but dragons don’t seem to know little about ponies.
I’m mostly here for... something to do, I suppose.

Tokuopolis
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tokuopolis » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:35 am

Frenequesta wrote:
Tokuopolis wrote:Does anyone else think it's weird that the other major races like Dragons, Griffons and Yaks never had a language of their own established but minor races like the Breezies and Zebras did?

Indeed. Though it’s implied the Yaks do have a native language based on common verbal tics, like using proper nouns where pronouns would be more appropriate, dropping articles, and generally simpler sentence structures when speaking. Griffons I can explain by the fact that there is a longer history of pony-griffon relations than between ponies and other species (if Gilda being in Dash’s flight camp is any indication).

Yeah, early on in the show it was implied Griffons and Ponies got on well (for the most part) with Gustave in MMMystery on the Friendship Express, Equestria Games, and Princess Spike, and Giselle and the other sports griffons in Rainbow Falls, Equestria Games, and The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone. They just kind of retconned the race Copyhats of Gilda from season 5 onwards.

Frenequesta wrote:Dragons are the toughest ones to explain. We’re told that ponies know very little about dragons, but dragons don’t seem to know little about ponies.

My headcanon is that dragon bandits/highwaymen found it hard to get what they wanted when the Ponies didn't understand them ("Stand and Deliver; Your money or your life!" doesn't mean much if your victim doesn't understand you) so they learned Ponish and eventually switched to that language entirely.

They could make a whole episode about Halloween/Nightmare Nights costumes based on stereotypes about other race with these ponies!
Last edited by Tokuopolis on Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I like Telegrams. My nation may or may not reflect my real views(it depends what I feel like).
“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.”-Voltaire (:P)
I'm not a professional. I'm a Pterosaur. Fandom Variety. Minneapolis and Thermopolis aren't in Greece, and neither am I.

Tokuopolis
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tokuopolis » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:08 am

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:37 am

The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Blargoblarg
Minister

Founded: Sep 06, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Blargoblarg » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:10 am

Oh dear. I hope this isn't what the whole series will be like.
Claudia De la Cruz 2024 Article about her here
Democrats and Republicans are both right-wing capitalists owned by the rich and the big corporations. Major media in the US is also owned by the rich and big corporations.
Major study finds that America is an oligarchy, not a democracy
"Workers of the world, unite!" -Marx and Engels
You can read The State and Revolution by Lenin for free here
My 8values results My leftvalues results
I am autistic.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:12 am

Blargoblarg wrote:

Oh dear. I hope this isn't what the whole series will be like.

It looks like it was done by Robot Chicken. I'd hate it.
Last edited by Saiwania on Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Tokuopolis
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tokuopolis » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:22 am

Saiwania wrote:
Blargoblarg wrote:Oh dear. I hope this isn't what the whole series will be like.

It looks like it was done by Robot Chicken. I'd hate it.

Reminded me more of Peter Lord's morph TBH.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:08 am

A bunch of people in other places have been complaining about how Cozy Glow wasn't redeemed, because, "Everyone deserves second chanceeeeeees!"

Putting aside how pervasive and cheap the redemption "arcs" in the show got, I never liked it how fans call for redemptions for certain villains and then act like they've got nothing but moral motivations, it's all just because they believe people can change! Yeah, sure. But you notice how no one ever wanted a redemption for the Flim Flam brothers? Or Mrs. Rich? Or the dragon bullies? Nobody drew sappy art of them crying, apologizing, and being taken under the wing forgivingly by the main cast.

"Everyone deserves a second chance," but it just so happens that the only characters that people actively demand second chances for are the cute, pretty, or occasionally handsome ones. Cozy Glow, Trixie, the Sirens, Wallflower Blush, even King Somba sometimes, they all have fans passionately arguing that there's good in them and they deserve to be forgiven, but are mysteriously quiet on any antagonist who isn't likely to be declared someone's "waifu." What about their second chances? Sure, on the chance that one of them does get redeemed (like the dragons) they'll accept it just fine, but the fact that it never occurred to them before that those characters needed to be forgiven in the first place all while writing up an entire master's thesis on why the Shirley Temple pone is just an innocent child who didn't know what she was doing is, telling.

People can want what they want, that's fine and all, but it's annoying to me when people try to dress up their superficiality as moral self-righteousness. Just admit that you just think the character is cute, don't pretend you're solely motivated by a pure forgiveness philosophy.
⟡ and in time, and in time, we will all be stars ⟡
she/her

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:52 pm

Cozy Glow was a freaking lunatic. She got what she had coming.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Fire the Ameri.

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:24 pm

Cozy Glow was magnificent for her age. Clever, and full of ambition. I'm not a fan of the "turn to stone" ending. I'd prefer for her and Chrysalis to stay evil but be on the run or in hiding indefinitely. She's a good schemer as opposed to a simple but misguided bully. She has true darkness to be admired.
Last edited by Saiwania on Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

ArranVidLand
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby ArranVidLand » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:42 pm

The only MLP thing I've ever watched was 'MLP: The End of Flutter Valley (1986)' in 2005 when I was around 12/13 years old and I watched it because my mum bought it for my then 3 year old sister and I watched it with her to make her feel less scared and better :)

Somehow Related to Rarity
Attaché

Founded: Dec 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Somehow Related to Rarity » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:46 pm

Twicetagram and JYPE's puppet and crackhead nation

Here to make everyone eat kids

ICly The Ponyvillian Separatists of Twicetagrien Canterlotine Territories(PSTCT)

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:11 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:Cozy Glow was a freaking lunatic. She got what she had coming.

This. Redemption requires choosing to redeem oneself, and she certainly had chances for that (you know, being in Twilight's school and all).

Tokuopolis
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tokuopolis » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:15 pm

Finally saw the MLP Movie

It was pretty decent fun, but not as good as some of the episodes of the show.

The Storm King was a fun bad guy. I liked the underwater stuff with the Seaponies/Hippogriffs.

The animation was pretty nice.

Tokuopolis
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tokuopolis » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:00 pm

Blargoblarg
Minister

Founded: Sep 06, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Blargoblarg » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:03 am

Why Hasbro, why. Also,
Pinkie would totally beat Rainbow in a cake-making contest, wtf.
Last edited by Blargoblarg on Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Claudia De la Cruz 2024 Article about her here
Democrats and Republicans are both right-wing capitalists owned by the rich and the big corporations. Major media in the US is also owned by the rich and big corporations.
Major study finds that America is an oligarchy, not a democracy
"Workers of the world, unite!" -Marx and Engels
You can read The State and Revolution by Lenin for free here
My 8values results My leftvalues results
I am autistic.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:18 pm

Blargoblarg wrote:Why Hasbro, why. Also,
Pinkie would totally beat Rainbow in a cake-making contest, wtf.

That is true, but the interpretation I get is that Rainbow is super competitive enough to trying winning anything she puts her mind to; it is often the case that she is all about winning in a way. That she had the greater drive to one-up her competition, could explain the why for the outcome.
Last edited by Saiwania on Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Sith Acolyte

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Founded: May 08, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:18 pm

My question is, why don't these stop motion shorts have dialogues?

Frenequesta
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 22, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Frenequesta » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:30 am

Wilgrove wrote:

My question is, why don't these stop motion shorts have dialogues?

Don’t want to pay the voice actors? Yes, I know the Hello Pinkie Pie shorts had a substitute, but still. Maybe they realized not using the real VAs was a mistake.
I’m mostly here for... something to do, I suppose.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:11 pm

⟡ and in time, and in time, we will all be stars ⟡
she/her

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:31 pm

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:35 pm

I remember way back when there was this artist who drew ponies as Transformers. I should go looking for those.

EDIT: Found him.
Last edited by Ameriganastan on Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction