NATION

PASSWORD

Rainbledon: My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:02 am

Ameriganastan wrote:
Frenequesta wrote:To say nothing of Twilight’s manipulative “lesson.”

That too.

Celestia 2.0

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:27 pm

Well, they finally did it. Maud was in an episode and it was still awful. Never been a fan of these "Twilight goes crazy" episodes, and this one was especially obnoxious.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:17 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:Well, they finally did it. Maud was in an episode and it was still awful. Never been a fan of these "Twilight goes crazy" episodes, and this one was especially obnoxious.

It was, and the faces were really weird

Holy Marsh
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 09, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Holy Marsh » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:43 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:
Minoa wrote:So, I heard the next BronyCon tomorrow is the last one, at least in the United States.

By that name, yes. I understand that 'Everfree Northwest' (which is in Washington state or Oregon) is similar.

It is in Washington, going strong as well.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:17 am

Wasted premise. I wanted to see Angel actually talk. But it was just a Freaky Friday deal.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Fire the Ameri.

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:51 am

...Am I imagining things or was that the first time they actually said Doctor Whoove's and Octavia's names?
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Frenequesta
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 22, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Frenequesta » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:01 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:...Am I imagining things or was that the first time they actually said Doctor Whoove's and Octavia's names?

* checks “Slice of Life” transcript *

Yes.
I’m mostly here for... something to do, I suppose.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:36 pm

Frenequesta wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:...Am I imagining things or was that the first time they actually said Doctor Whoove's and Octavia's names?

* checks “Slice of Life” transcript *

Yes.

I thought so.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:20 am

Ooh, the finale is getting a prime-time airing time. Swanky.
Last edited by Ameriganastan on Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:13 pm

Today I learned that ponies are morons who will just blindly accept a random book's proclamation that an ostensibly fictional character is a real person.

"Guys, you'll never believe this! Harry Potter is a real life person! I know, I've met him! And he's a huge dick who strangles kittens in front of orphans!"
"sEeMs LeGiT!!11!"

This is a prime example of what I mean when I constantly say that the later authors never take two seconds to actually think their ideas through and just blindly chase whatever impulsive premise pops into their heads. Their unhealthy obsession with redeeming every single last antagonist goes without say at this point.
Last edited by Giovenith on Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
⟡ and in time, and in time, we will all be stars ⟡
she/her

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:21 pm

Giovenith wrote:
Today I learned that ponies are morons who will just blindly accept a random book's proclamation that an ostensibly fictional character is a real person.

"Guys, you'll never believe this! Harry Potter is a real life person! I know, I've met him! And he's a huge dick who strangles kittens in front of orphans!"
"sEeMs LeGiT!!11!"

This is a prime example of what I mean when I constantly say that the later authors never take two seconds to actually think their ideas through and just blindly chase whatever impulsive premise pops into their heads. Their unhealthy obsession with redeeming every single last antagonist goes without say at this point.

Yeah, they've been going overboard even for this show on that as it winds down. I mean who was asking for a redemption episode for Gargle and Ahuizotl?
Last edited by Ameriganastan on Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:11 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Giovenith wrote:

"sEeMs LeGiT!!11!"

Yeah, they've been going overboard even for this show on that as it winds down. I mean who was asking for a redemption episode for Gargle and Ahuizotl?

Not only is it boring, hamfisted writing, but I take some moral issue with it. I'm not comfortable with telling children that if anyone is cruel to them, they're inevitably just "misunderstood" and you should feel obligated to be nice to them in order to change them, for what I hope should be obvious reasons. In the real world, bullies don't magically become good people because you offer to be their friend, what usually happens is that they take advantage of your kindness and guilt you into putting up with their abuse by implying that you're not a "good friend" if you don't put up with it. It's the kind of mentality that leads people to tell girls that boys only pick on them because they "like them," or that making a bully and his victim apologize and shake hands somehow solves the problem.

The show used to understand this. The main lesson of "Griffon The Brush Off" is that it's okay to tell be people in your life to screw off, even if they were your friend. The episode doesn't explore why Gilda is acting that way because it doesn't matter - nobody is obligated to deal with your crap behavior. Even though she did get redeemed later, it was generally alright because A) She never did anything irredeemably terrible, B) She had to choose to do so of her own voalition rather than the main characters taking all the emotional responsibility for her, C) There was no stupid, flimsy excuse trying to pretend that her behavior was somehow "understandable." If the current writers did her first episode today, they'd frame it like Dash's speech was a mistake then have her, Pinkie, and Fluttershy run after her to deliver some bullshit speech about how Gilda should be nice because friendship is fun and blah blah blah and lo and behold Gilda would be nice.

The tragic irony of all this is around when the show first came out, when Faust was responding to criticism of the show, one of the things she said was, "On TV, though, I couldn’t tell one girl character from another and they just had endless tea parties, giggled over nothing and defeated villains by either sharing with them or crying–which miraculously inspired the villain to turn nice. Even to my 7-year-old self, these shows made no sense and couldn’t keep my interest." The show stayed true to most of that, but...
she/her

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:19 pm

Giovenith wrote:
Not only is it boring, hamfisted writing, but I take some moral issue with it. I'm not comfortable with telling children that if anyone is cruel to them, they're inevitably just "misunderstood" and you should feel obligated to be nice to them in order to change them, for what I hope should be obvious reasons. In the real world, bullies don't magically become good people because you offer to be their friend, what usually happens is that they take advantage of your kindness and guilt you into putting up with their abuse by implying that you're not a "good friend" if you don't put up with it. It's the kind of mentality that leads people to tell girls that boys only pick on them because they "like them," or that making a bully and his victim apologize and shake hands somehow solves the problem.

The show used to understand this. The main lesson of "Griffon The Brush Off" is that it's okay to tell be people in your life to screw off, even if they were your friend. The episode doesn't explore why Gilda is acting that way because it doesn't matter - nobody is obligated to deal with your crap behavior. Even though she did get redeemed later, it was generally alright because A) She never did anything irredeemably terrible, B) She had to choose to do so of her own voalition rather than the main characters taking all the emotional responsibility for her, C) There was no stupid, flimsy excuse trying to pretend that her behavior was somehow "understandable." If the current writers did her first episode today, they'd frame it like Dash's speech was a mistake then have her, Pinkie, and Fluttershy run after her to deliver some bullshit speech about how Gilda should be nice because friendship is fun and blah blah blah and lo and behold Gilda would be nice.

The tragic irony of all this is around when the show first came out, when Faust was responding to criticism of the show, one of the things she said was, "On TV, though, I couldn’t tell one girl character from another and they just had endless tea parties, giggled over nothing and defeated villains by either sharing with them or crying–which miraculously inspired the villain to turn nice. Even to my 7-year-old self, these shows made no sense and couldn’t keep my interest." The show stayed true to most of that, but...

Let's just hope Tirek, Chrysalis and Cozy Glow escape the finale unredeemed. Especially Chrysalis. I want her evil all the way. None of that rainbow bug bullshit they pulled on the other Changelings.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:14 pm

Agreed on the point of non-redemption, sans the rather unlikely scenario that Grogar is Discord teaching them friendship :p

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:15 pm

/already saw the leaked finales

Yeah, I'm garbage.
she/her

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:43 pm

I'm being a patient boy and waiting. Not like the heyday when you had to watch a leak cause the spoilers would be everywhere. Sometimes a fandom being near dead has benefits.

...Also waiting cause once it's done, it's done. No more show ever. I wanna savor the last few weeks like normal.
Last edited by Ameriganastan on Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:50 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:Sometimes a fandom being near dead has benefits

I suppose that's a relative thing really :p

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:52 am

i guess we needed one more episode of the CMC being twits before things wrapped up.

Also, why did they not ask Pinkie Pie? Or Scootaloo's aunts?
Last edited by Ameriganastan on Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Frenequesta
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 22, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Frenequesta » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:21 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:i guess we needed one more episode of the CMC being twits before things wrapped up.

Also, why did they not ask Pinkie Pie? Or Scootaloo's aunts?

For Pinkie Pie, perhaps they didn’t believe she would be a credible chaperone with how kiddish she acts.

For Scootaloo’s aunts, I don’t really know, but I think it’s worth pointing out that since this is an Ed Valentine episode, the script may have been written around S6 when he last wrote an episode (and apparently the showrunners had wanted to do a CMC age-up at least since then), so they probably just made minimal changes to the script and didn’t completely think it through with other episodes this season.
I’m mostly here for... something to do, I suppose.

South Central South-Park
Attaché

Founded: Sep 19, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby South Central South-Park » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:26 pm

It truly astounds me that grown men and adolescent teenage boys would actually sit down and watch a show made for little girls about ponies.
The newer generations just keep on disappointing in ever expanding new ways.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:53 pm

South Central South-Park wrote:It truly astounds me that grown men and adolescent teenage boys would actually sit down and watch a show made for little girls about ponies.

Open your mind a little, dude. I said the same thing a little over 8 years ago. And I'm still here cause it's a good show...also, this show for little girls occasionally pulls some very non-girly awesomeness.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

South Central South-Park
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby South Central South-Park » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:59 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
South Central South-Park wrote:It truly astounds me that grown men and adolescent teenage boys would actually sit down and watch a show made for little girls about ponies.

Open your mind a little, dude. I said the same thing a little over 8 years ago. And I'm still here cause it's a good show...also, this show for little girls occasionally pulls some very non-girly awesomeness.

An open mind is like a castle with its gates unbarred and its walls unmanned, you cant just let any degeneracy seep into your mind. Also an occasional non girly thing doesnt change the overall theme, tone and target audience of this kiddyshow for little girls. Seriously you guys cmon.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:06 pm

South Central South-Park wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:Open your mind a little, dude. I said the same thing a little over 8 years ago. And I'm still here cause it's a good show...also, this show for little girls occasionally pulls some very non-girly awesomeness.

An open mind is like a castle with its gates unbarred and its walls unmanned, you cant just let any degeneracy seep into your mind. Also an occasional non girly thing doesnt change the overall theme, tone and target audience of this kiddyshow for little girls. Seriously you guys cmon.

So completely dismissing a show as ¨degeneracy¨ because its for girls and kids? Very mature mindset you got there. :roll:
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

South Central South-Park
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby South Central South-Park » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:10 pm

Andsed wrote:
South Central South-Park wrote:An open mind is like a castle with its gates unbarred and its walls unmanned, you cant just let any degeneracy seep into your mind. Also an occasional non girly thing doesnt change the overall theme, tone and target audience of this kiddyshow for little girls. Seriously you guys cmon.

So completely dismissing a show as ¨degeneracy¨ because its for girls and kids? Very mature mindset you got there. :roll:

Im sure you're much more mature watching a show for little girls about unicorns, ponies and rainbows like other mature people. Do you watch Barney the dinosaur too, it seems like a show mature people like you guys would enjoy as well.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:14 pm

South Central South-Park wrote:
Andsed wrote:So completely dismissing a show as ¨degeneracy¨ because its for girls and kids? Very mature mindset you got there. :roll:

Im sure you're much more mature watching a show for little girls about unicorns, ponies and rainbows like other mature people. Do you watch Barney the dinosaur too, it seems like a show mature people like you guys would enjoy as well.

Yes because enjoying a kids show automatically makes you immature? :eyebrow: I must say that is some galaxy brain logic. I can understand not wanting to watch the show or being a bit turned off by the more uh questionable parts of the fandom. But I find it quite immature to immediately dismiss something and its fans as immature because it the show happens to be aimed at kids. Because god forbid adults enjoy stuff not traditionally aimed at adults.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction