NATION

PASSWORD

Summer 2015 Short Story Contest

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Respubliko de Libereco
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Respubliko de Libereco » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:21 pm

Since we're trying the "holistic scoring with rubric as a guideline" approach, I guess I'll try my hand at judging.

Helbardia wrote:
The High Lords wrote:
but I'm sure you'd feel bad on the inside, knowing it isn't really fully your work alone.

You people seriously don't swap advice or feedback on one anothers work?

That's more common in the Writing Discussion thread. In posting there, though, you still run the risk of a judge reading your work in an unfinished state, which might damage your chances. I recommend adding an appropriately-labelled spoiler tag.
Last edited by Respubliko de Libereco on Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Helbardia
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 03, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Helbardia » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:32 pm

[/quote]
you still run the risk of a judge reading your work in an unfinished state, which might damage your chances. [/quote]

Oh I see I had assumed they read them when the deadline was up, not as they were posted, now everything makes sense.

Respubliko de Libereco
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Respubliko de Libereco » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:35 pm

Helbardia wrote:
you still run the risk of a judge reading your work in an unfinished state, which might damage your chances.

Oh I see I had assumed they read them when the deadline was up, not as they were posted, now everything makes sense.

They do read them when the deadline is up, but if you post elsewhere without making it clear that you're posting a short story contest entry, a judge might accidentally end up reading it anyway.

Similarly, as long as the judges are checking this thread to see how things are going, there's a risk that any discussion happening in this thread could potentially affect the judges (even if they don't read the actual stories ahead of time).
Last edited by Respubliko de Libereco on Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:42 pm

Respubliko de Libereco wrote:Since we're trying the "holistic scoring with rubric as a guideline" approach, I guess I'll try my hand at judging.

OK. Since everyone else has been talking about serving as back-ups rather than just being the 3rd regular judge, the job is yours.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Helbardia
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Helbardia » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:27 pm

Respubliko de Libereco wrote:
Helbardia wrote:

They do read them when the deadline is up, but if you post elsewhere without making it clear that you're posting a short story contest entry, a judge might accidentally end up reading it anyway.

Similarly, as long as the judges are checking this thread to see how things are going, there's a risk that any discussion happening in this thread could potentially affect the judges (even if they don't read the actual stories ahead of time).

Oh, I gotcha, I'm not really concerned about potentially harming my chance at victory and whatnot. I'll play to win but it isn't my highest priority (unless you guys are planning on giving the winners money...). getting an honest to god scoring rubric back on a story is the real prize here as its very hard to get people to read you military science fiction short story as all most anyone will ever see is a big ol' tl;dr. (do any other writers here secretly hate painters or other picture-oriented type artists because they can just whip it out and be like "What do you think?" and people can just look at and be like "oh thats really cool." or "Generic complimentary statement as your work isn't engaging enough for me to give a crap.")

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
Respubliko de Libereco wrote:Since we're trying the "holistic scoring with rubric as a guideline" approach, I guess I'll try my hand at judging.

OK. Since everyone else has been talking about serving as back-ups rather than just being the 3rd regular judge, the job is yours.

Well I'd have volunteered to judge but you don't know who I am and am entering a piece so I felt like that might constitute a conflict of interest or something.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:31 pm

Helbardia wrote:
Respubliko de Libereco wrote:They do read them when the deadline is up, but if you post elsewhere without making it clear that you're posting a short story contest entry, a judge might accidentally end up reading it anyway.

Oh, I gotcha, I'm not really concerned about potentially harming my chance at victory and whatnot. I'll play to win but it isn't my highest priority (unless you guys are planning on giving the winners money...). getting an honest to god scoring rubric back on a story is the real prize here as its very hard to get people to read you military science fiction short story as all most anyone will ever see is a big ol' tl;dr. (do any other writers here secretly hate painters or other picture-oriented type artists because they can just whip it out and be like "What do you think?" and people can just look at and be like "oh thats really cool." or "Generic complimentary statement as your work isn't engaging enough for me to give a crap.")

I'm an artist first and a writer 2nd. Each one has it's own set of challenges and frustrations as well as its own rewards.

Nazi Flower Power wrote:

Well I'd have volunteered to judge but you don't know who I am and am entering a piece so I felt like that might constitute a conflict of interest or something.

It does not matter if I know you, but you can't be both a contestant and a judge.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:13 pm

I think I'll type up my story sooner rather than later and then transition back to exam revision. I could do it all afterwards, of course, which would make more sense but I am just terrible at sustaining interest in studying so the break is generally welcome. So, unless I decide I do not like the story, I will probably submit an entry within the next few days.

I think the general approach is probably the same in that you'd read the story and then consider the strengths of say characterisation or plot but simultaneously be able to decide relatively how significant the rubric elements are for each story rather than dealing with fixed weightings. Style, of course, is a little different this time around now that it's style and mechanics.

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
Helbardia wrote:
?! What a horrible sentiment. My goal is to write as good a story as possible and improve as a writer and collaboration is a wonderful way to do both of those things. Bouncing ideas off of other writers is also a great way to explore them in your own mind.

There's another thread where you can do that.

To be honest, that's one of the things I get out of these with the judge's feedback. The Writing Discussion thread is great but I am one of those people who really needs that kick up the arse to start doing anything and the deadline's a big incentive to finish things (and given that I've entered all but two, the deadline works for me). This was actually one reason why it took me a while to finish the previous judgements: I didn't want to spend less time on the feedback than I had when I was doing them more regularly.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:49 pm

Forsher wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:
There's another thread where you can do that.

To be honest, that's one of the things I get out of these with the judge's feedback. The Writing Discussion thread is great but I am one of those people who really needs that kick up the arse to start doing anything and the deadline's a big incentive to finish things (and given that I've entered all but two, the deadline works for me). This was actually one reason why it took me a while to finish the previous judgements: I didn't want to spend less time on the feedback than I had when I was doing them more regularly.

The judges' feedback is great if you want gauge how you're doing as a writer and then move on to your next story. It's not so great if you want to go back and forth with people workshopping a single story.

Helbardia
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Helbardia » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:29 am

Nazi Flower Power wrote:I'm an artist first and a writer 2nd. Each one has it's own set of challenges and frustrations as well as its own rewards.

That's a nice observation. Could you expound on them? Pretty please? It would be neat to hear about what my craft has over others, might keep me from feeling sorry for myself when I'm frustrated.
Last edited by Helbardia on Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:51 am

Helbardia wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:I'm an artist first and a writer 2nd. Each one has it's own set of challenges and frustrations as well as its own rewards.

That's a nice observation. Could you expound on them? Pretty please? It would be neat to hear about what my craft has over others, might keep me from feeling sorry for myself when I'm frustrated.

You can write professional-quality work without investing in specialized supplies, and it doesn't produce as much clutter as art.

Italios
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Italios » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:03 am

So... I asked a while ago but no one answered... Are there any backup judge spots? And do stories published as Factbooks count?
Issue Author #1461: No Shirt, No Shoes, No ID, No Service.

The High Lords
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The High Lords » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:32 am

Helbardia wrote:
The High Lords wrote:
but I'm sure you'd feel bad on the inside, knowing it isn't really fully your work alone.

?! What a horrible sentiment. My goal is to write as good a story as possible and improve as a writer and collaboration is a wonderful way to do both of those things. Bouncing ideas off of other writers is also a great way to explore them in your own mind.

Shaggai wrote:Movie violence is different from textual violence. If you're not going over-the-top with gore, you're fine. And the forum rules allow swearing.

Awesomesauce

I personally would like to judge the product of the work the submitter put in, not the product of the revision of the work they created - and how well the revision was done due to the quality of support and suggestions that other people are able to put in for the submitter. Some people might be able to get some top-notch suggestions and peer review, whereas some people may never get a chance to do that, or less of a chance to get such good suggestions due to unforeseen circumstances.
----------------
---------------
----------------
Learning Swedish now!
I want to learn:
Italian
Irish
Scots
Being politically correct is so 2010
#Bernie

The High Lords
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The High Lords » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:36 am

Helbardia wrote:
you still run the risk of a judge reading your work in an unfinished state, which might damage your chances.

For me, I would like to judge the story as soon as it's posted, but I won't reveal my judgement until after the deadline comes around: I'll release them all at once.

So, contestants, make sure that when you post a story, label it as a final submission so that I know to judge it immediately, and that it won't be subject to further revision.
----------------
---------------
----------------
Learning Swedish now!
I want to learn:
Italian
Irish
Scots
Being politically correct is so 2010
#Bernie

New Kvenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 07, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Kvenland » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:10 am

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
New Kvenland wrote:
Oh. Whoops. :P

It's a change from previous contests so it's understandable if people aren't used to it.

Now, let's see if I can manage to finish a story without the rampant procrastination and rushing...

I know that feeling.

This time I actually have a finished story, but it's a little over the word count and it feels dishonest to raise the limit on word count just because I wrote a long story. I might try to do some more editing and see if I can get it down to 6000 words, but more likely I will just write another story on a related subject.

Meh, I doubt many would mind if you bumped up the word count limit a bit. I wouldn't, at least, and I fail to see why anyone else would.
californian ultranationalist | the bear flag will fly from cabo to the great salt lake once again | the pretenders in arizona will crumble to the sand they tread on

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:56 pm

Italios wrote:So... I asked a while ago but no one answered... Are there any backup judge spots? And do stories published as Factbooks count?

As for the Factbook question, there are a couple of things I would need to know:

Do Factbooks have a date stamp like forum posts do so you can tell when they were posted?
Was the Factbook posted after the OP of this thread?

If the answer to both questions is yes, then you can enter it. Otherwise, it runs into problems with the original work rule.

You can be a back-up judge, though.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:30 pm

New Kvenland wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:
It's a change from previous contests so it's understandable if people aren't used to it.

I know that feeling.

This time I actually have a finished story, but it's a little over the word count and it feels dishonest to raise the limit on word count just because I wrote a long story. I might try to do some more editing and see if I can get it down to 6000 words, but more likely I will just write another story on a related subject.

Meh, I doubt many would mind if you bumped up the word count limit a bit. I wouldn't, at least, and I fail to see why anyone else would.

It was tempting cos I do like the story, but it feels dishonest to exploit my role as host like that. Besides which, I already had a back-up plan if I can't get it down to 6000 words, and the back-up story is fun in its own way. They both involve the U.S.S. Monitor, which is pretty much the coolest thing ever.

New Kvenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 07, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Kvenland » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:39 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
New Kvenland wrote:

It was tempting cos I do like the story, but it feels dishonest to exploit my role as host like that.

Your choice, I guess.

Besides which, I already had a back-up plan if I can't get it down to 6000 words, and the back-up story is fun in its own way. They both involve the U.S.S. Monitor, which is pretty much the coolest thing ever.

That could be fun :D
californian ultranationalist | the bear flag will fly from cabo to the great salt lake once again | the pretenders in arizona will crumble to the sand they tread on

New Educandi
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Educandi » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:42 pm

SIGN ME THE FUCK UP
Is it alright if I fill out the app-thing after I think about said story a little bit?
THIS IS AN OFFICIAL MUCKING ABOUT ON THE FORUM
Carbon based lifeforms wrote:So your idea is to reduce taxes?

That's a great idea! Why has no one else ever thought of that? You must be an exceptional genius.
Mefpan wrote:Comparing "My I.Q. is one of the highest" Donald "I'm starting to wonder myself whether he was born in this country" Trump to a fart in order to ruin his reputation is like attempting to raise the temperature of a volcano by throwing a lit match into it.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:46 pm

New Kvenland wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:
It was tempting cos I do like the story, but it feels dishonest to exploit my role as host like that.

Your choice, I guess.

Besides which, I already had a back-up plan if I can't get it down to 6000 words, and the back-up story is fun in its own way. They both involve the U.S.S. Monitor, which is pretty much the coolest thing ever.

That could be fun :D

Everything is better when the Monitor shows up.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:48 pm

New Educandi wrote:SIGN ME THE FUCK UP
Is it alright if I fill out the app-thing after I think about said story a little bit?

You don't have to fill out an app. Just post your story.

If you meant judging, we already have enough judges, but you can volunteer as a back-up.

New Educandi
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Educandi » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:50 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
New Educandi wrote:SIGN ME THE FUCK UP

You don't have to fill out an app. Just post your story.

If you meant judging, we already have enough judges, but you can volunteer as a back-up.

Oops, I must have looked at the wrong thing. But thanks anyway!
THIS IS AN OFFICIAL MUCKING ABOUT ON THE FORUM
Carbon based lifeforms wrote:So your idea is to reduce taxes?

That's a great idea! Why has no one else ever thought of that? You must be an exceptional genius.
Mefpan wrote:Comparing "My I.Q. is one of the highest" Donald "I'm starting to wonder myself whether he was born in this country" Trump to a fart in order to ruin his reputation is like attempting to raise the temperature of a volcano by throwing a lit match into it.

Respubliko de Libereco
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Respubliko de Libereco » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:52 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
New Kvenland wrote:Meh, I doubt many would mind if you bumped up the word count limit a bit. I wouldn't, at least, and I fail to see why anyone else would.

It was tempting cos I do like the story, but it feels dishonest to exploit my role as host like that. Besides which, I already had a back-up plan if I can't get it down to 6000 words, and the back-up story is fun in its own way. They both involve the U.S.S. Monitor, which is pretty much the coolest thing ever.

Personally, I think that even 6000 words is a bit high. Combined, my three past entries have a total word count of 4178, and while I recognize that my stories are unusually short, I still think that 3000 words should be more than enough for this sort of contest.
Last edited by Respubliko de Libereco on Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:10 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:

Personally, I think that even 6000 words is a bit high. Combined, my three past entries have a total word count of 4178, and while I recognize that my stories are unusually short, I still think that 3000 words should be more than enough for this sort of contest.

It's totally normal to go over 3000, though. AFAIK, the lowest we've ever set the limit is 5000. It is a maximum, so it's not going to cause trouble for someone like you that knows how to write, but prefers to do shorter pieces.

My story that I haven't posted because of the length is 6700 words and I might get it down to 6000 words. I definitely could get it under 6000 and still have a coherent story. I just don't want to make cuts that will make it a worse story, and that is where I am getting stuck.

Respubliko de Libereco
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Respubliko de Libereco » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:04 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
Respubliko de Libereco wrote:Personally, I think that even 6000 words is a bit high. Combined, my three past entries have a total word count of 4178, and while I recognize that my stories are unusually short, I still think that 3000 words should be more than enough for this sort of contest.

It's totally normal to go over 3000, though. AFAIK, the lowest we've ever set the limit is 5000. It is a maximum, so it's not going to cause trouble for someone like you that knows how to write, but prefers to do shorter pieces.

My story that I haven't posted because of the length is 6700 words and I might get it down to 6000 words. I definitely could get it under 6000 and still have a coherent story. I just don't want to make cuts that will make it a worse story, and that is where I am getting stuck.

Right. I worded that poorly; I didn't mean to say that the limit should be 3000, just that I feel that 3000 is towards the higher end of what I, personally, would aim for. Not that length'll be a huge part of my judging process, of course.

I do think that raising it much above 6000 would push the boundaries of what I consider a "short story," though.
Last edited by Respubliko de Libereco on Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:42 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:

Right. I worded that poorly; I didn't mean to say that the limit should be 3000, just that I feel that 3000 is towards the higher end of what I, personally, would aim for. Not that length'll be a huge part of my judging process, of course.

I wouldn't expect you to judge on the basis of length other than whether it's appropriate for the amount of content.

I do think that raising it much above 6000 would push the boundaries of what I consider a "short story," though.

7500 is the highest I would feel comfortable raising it even if people were nagging me that they wanted it raised. Above that it just gets awkward, and I would worry about how difficult it would be for judges to wade through the worse entries.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction