NATION

PASSWORD

The Steven Universe Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:03 am

Ameriganastan wrote:
The United Neptumousian Empire wrote:nonbinary people are those who do not align fully with either gender, but rather often fall somewhere in between.

New haven america wrote:Nonbinary means that someone doesn't really align with the standard main gender binary. For reference: Androgyny accepts both standard male and female traits, while Nonbinary rejects standard male and female traits.

...This stuff is getting hard to keep up with.

New haven america wrote:Also, what do you expect? He has an entire school to run and also needs to act as an intergalactic dignitary.

I expected him to not be an asshole. But for like the last 4 episodes, he's just been this colossal buzzkill and it's getting tiresome.

• He's been running the school, stressing him out
  • His friends all have things going on without him, he hates feeling like they're drifting apart, which is something that happens to all teenagers
  • His purpose has been fulfilled. What happens to the kid who was destined and made to bring peace to the galaxy after he's already done that?
  • Steven's also been used as a tool to drive the character arc's of the gems, which are now complete.

He feels purposeless and as though his life is losing meaning, since the conflict and growth through the first series gave him that meaning. As his friends leave Beach City, he has to do some uncomfortable introspection on where his life is going and where he wants it to go, and if you've even been a teenager these kinds of things are relatable and grounded, at least that's how I saw them.

What did you want, if not emotional growth and stories like these? Because you can't have the more character drive moments if Steven has no inner conflict, which you apparently hate, did you want to go back to the S1 monster of the week style?
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:34 am

Valrifell wrote:
  • His friends all have things going on without him, he hates feeling like they're drifting apart, which is something that happens to all teenagers
  • His purpose has been fulfilled. What happens to the kid who was destined and made to bring peace to the galaxy after he's already done that?
  • Steven's also been used as a tool to drive the character arc's of the gems, which are now complete.

He feels purposeless and as though his life is losing meaning, since the conflict and growth through the first series gave him that meaning. As his friends leave Beach City, he has to do some uncomfortable introspection on where his life is going and where he wants it to go, and if you've even been a teenager these kinds of things are relatable and grounded, at least that's how I saw them.

What did you want, if not emotional growth and stories like these? Because you can't have the more character drive moments if Steven has no inner conflict, which you apparently hate, did you want to go back to the S1 monster of the week style?

This isn't growth. This is teenage whining. And I'm about sick of it. For cripes sake, the little hypocrite sang a whole freaking song about how nice it was not to fight anymore. But now he's getting all pissy and rude cause he's not fighting anymore. Screw him and his bullshit.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

North German Realm
Senator

Founded: Jan 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:49 am

Ameriganastan wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

This isn't growth. This is teenage whining. And I'm about sick of it. For cripes sake, the little hypocrite sang a whole freaking song about how nice it was not to fight anymore. But now he's getting all pissy and rude cause he's not fighting anymore. Screw him and his bullshit.

Well I mean yes. He's a teenager, and he's under stress. What part of this is out of character for a teenager with so many responsibilities (especially considering a fair part of them are his responsibilities by the virtue of existing alone)
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------
North German Confederation
NationStates Flag Bracket II - 6th place!

Norddeutscher Bund
Homepage || Overview | Sovereign | Chancellor | Military | Legislature || The World
5 Nov, 2020
Die Morgenpost: "We will reconsider our relationship with Poland" Reichskanzler Lagenmauer says after Polish president protested North German ultimatum that made them restore reproductive freedom. | European Society votes not to persecute Hungary for atrocities committed against Serbs, "Giving a rogue state leave to commit genocide as it sees fit." North German delegate bemoans. | Negotiations still underway in Rome, delegates arguing over the extent of indemnities Turkey might be made to pay, lawful status of Turkish collaborators during occupation of Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Syria.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:03 am

North German Realm wrote:
Well I mean yes. He's a teenager, and he's under stress. What part of this is out of character for a teenager with so many responsibilities (especially considering a fair part of them are his responsibilities by the virtue of existing alone)

Oh, give it a rest with this "He's under stress" excuse. You know what's stressful? Almost being killed every other week, getting your Gem ripped out and then convincing a totalitarian alien empire to stop being such.

And I'm supposed to believe his little school is more stressful than that? No. He's just being a douche.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Fire the Ameri.

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

North German Realm
Senator

Founded: Jan 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:04 am

Ameriganastan wrote:
North German Realm wrote:

Oh, give it a rest with this "He's under stress" excuse. You know what's stressful? Almost being killed every other week, getting your Gem ripped out and then convincing a totalitarian alien empire to stop being such.

And I'm supposed to believe his little school is more stressful than that? No. He's just being a douche.

I mean, he is. It's just that he has every right to be one -which is the only thing I've said.
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------
North German Confederation
NationStates Flag Bracket II - 6th place!

Norddeutscher Bund
Homepage || Overview | Sovereign | Chancellor | Military | Legislature || The World
5 Nov, 2020
Die Morgenpost: "We will reconsider our relationship with Poland" Reichskanzler Lagenmauer says after Polish president protested North German ultimatum that made them restore reproductive freedom. | European Society votes not to persecute Hungary for atrocities committed against Serbs, "Giving a rogue state leave to commit genocide as it sees fit." North German delegate bemoans. | Negotiations still underway in Rome, delegates arguing over the extent of indemnities Turkey might be made to pay, lawful status of Turkish collaborators during occupation of Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Syria.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:08 am

North German Realm wrote:I mean, he is. It's just that he has every right to be one -which is the only thing I've said.

No, he doesn't. Everyone has grown as people, stopped fighting (Well, except for Team Twit, AKA Aquamarine and Eyeball) and everything is cool now. And suddenly he's turned into a raving asshat cause he doesn't get to play Mr. Savior anymore. He's on a freaking ego trip is what it is. Badmouthing all the Gems to his stupid cactus proved that. He wants everyone to rely on him, and now that they don't, he's being this guy.
Last edited by Ameriganastan on Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:36 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
North German Realm wrote:I mean, he is. It's just that he has every right to be one -which is the only thing I've said.

No, he doesn't. Everyone has grown as people, stopped fighting (Well, except for Team Twit, AKA Aquamarine and Eyeball) and everything is cool now. And suddenly he's turned into a raving asshat cause he doesn't get to play Mr. Savior anymore. He's on a freaking ego trip is what it is. Badmouthing all the Gems to his stupid cactus proved that. He wants everyone to rely on him, and now that they don't, he's being this guy.

Congratulations Ameri, you've just discovered what Character Conflict and Self Conflict is.
Last edited by New haven america on Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:37 pm

New haven america wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:No, he doesn't. Everyone has grown as people, stopped fighting (Well, except for Team Twit, AKA Aquamarine and Eyeball) and everything is cool now. And suddenly he's turned into a raving asshat cause he doesn't get to play Mr. Savior anymore. He's on a freaking ego trip is what it is. Badmouthing all the Gems to his stupid cactus proved that. He wants everyone to rely on him, and now that they don't, he's being this guy.

Congratulations Ameri, you've just discovered what a Character Conflict is.

This is not character conflict. It's shitty writing.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:40 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
New haven america wrote:Congratulations Ameri, you've just discovered what a Character Conflict is.

This is not character conflict. It's shitty writing.

It is character and self conflict.

Character Conflict in that it's Steven vs. the Change of the other characters in the series, and Self Conflict in the fact that it's Steven having to learn to come to terms with the fact that what he wants and thinks aren't going to always line up with the reality of a situation.

Wait wait wait, let me guess your response: "No! It's just sHiTtY wRiTiNg!!1!"
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:43 pm

New haven america wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:This is not character conflict. It's shitty writing.

It is character and self conflict.

Character Conflict in that it's Steven vs. the Change of the other characters in the series, and Self Conflict in the fact that it's Steven having to learn to come to terms with the fact that what he wants and thinks aren't going to always line up with the reality of a situation.

Self conflict over what? There is no conflict anymore. This raving dill-hole is just looking for drama. He's Jerry from that one episode of Rick And Morty basically. Everything is fine now, everyone is happy, no more world ending Gem war, etc. And he's over here being pissy cause he doesn't get to be the hero no more.
Last edited by Ameriganastan on Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:51 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
New haven america wrote:It is character and self conflict.

1. Self conflict over what? There is no conflict anymore. This raving dill-hole is just looking for drama. He's Jerry from that one episode of Rick And Morty basically. 2. Everything is fine now, everyone is happy, no more world ending Gem war, etc. And he's over here being pissy cause he doesn't get to be the hero no more.

1. Literally just explained it to you
2. Refer to point 1
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:52 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:
...This stuff is getting hard to keep up with.

I expected him to not be an asshole. But for like the last 4 episodes, he's just been this colossal buzzkill and it's getting tiresome.

It’s weird, because now we’re looking at the hero essentially after the hero’s story is over, and he’s having an existential crisis. Steven has to handle being a normal kid, something he was not created to be. At the same time, he has had experience with the life of a normal kid in some aspects. Playing video games, collecting figurines of his favorite characters, watching movies, going to eat snacks with friends. He’s even dealt already with some of the pressures of being a teenager. Dating, identity, trying to impress older kids, even politics. So it’s not like he’s never experienced what it’s like to live a normal life. At the same time, it’s what I kinda think about a lot of mystical experiences. How do you handle coming down from the mountain?

I’ve fallen pretty far behind on SU, but inner conflict can be handled in a lot of different ways. And I think part of the issue is that his identity has always been connected to Rose, whom he idolized until...everything got revealed. So now he has to split himself from Rose, in a sense. At the same time, I think there’s fairness to what Ameri is saying. I would add that part of the problem, beyond Steven being related to Rose and having to save the world, is that he has never really had anyone he can talk to about handling teenage emotions properly. The Gems? Nope. Rose? Flip no. Greg? He tries, but even he has not processed some of the pain from his teen and young adult years.

So Steven doesn’t really know how to do anything but rage, in the face of his coming down from the mountain. It’s one of the negative aspects of his character that developed a bit later in the series, particularly in the episodes after he got captured by Peridot and Jasper, and given that he really has not had much support in fighting that despair and unhappiness (save for Connie and Greg), now we see the fruits of that rot in his heart. I think what will have to happen now is that Steven will have to make choices about whether or not he wants to stay in the darkness, or to come out of his cave.

Some stories do handle this well, and don’t rely as much on one of the weaknesses SU had in later seasons, which was rehashing some of the characters’ internal conflicts instead of resolving them. All-Might in BHA is a good example of how to develop a character after their heroic days are mostly over. He constantly fights despair, but he knows that he has a purpose outside of fighting as well. Even with his mentor old and with his power draining, he supports the main cast and tries to be a wise, cheerful father-figure. I think this is Steven’s chance to maybe play a similar role, or to at least recognize some of his other talents as a hero. And maybe it’s a chance for the Crewniverse to break one of their old ruts.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:53 pm

New haven america wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:1. Self conflict over what? There is no conflict anymore. This raving dill-hole is just looking for drama. He's Jerry from that one episode of Rick And Morty basically. 2. Everything is fine now, everyone is happy, no more world ending Gem war, etc. And he's over here being pissy cause he doesn't get to be the hero no more.

1. Literally just explained it to you
2. Refer to point 1

I refer to nothing. He's gotten exactly what he wanted. No more fighting. He sang an entire freaking song about it. And now that he has it, suddenly that isn't good enough for him. Not to mention he's just generally douchey now.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:04 pm

Show is back March 6. The last batch of episodes ever. And I don't give 2 shits anymore. Never should have done this spinoff. Let's just wrap it up.
Last edited by Ameriganastan on Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Maichuko
Ambassador

Founded: May 02, 2015

Postby Maichuko » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:02 pm

Peridot continues to prove why she's the best Gem.
-Thank God Steven is finally getting help from his friends.
Last edited by Maichuko on Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live the Emperor of all Maichukoans! May he live 100 years!
(V)(;,,;)(V) woop woop woop woop

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:56 am

Maichuko wrote:Peridot continues to prove why she's the best Gem.
-Thank God Steven is finally getting help from his friends.

Curious that the CG "Barn Team" (and Bismuth) have been more help for Steven than the normal CGs so far.

Nevertheless, it must be good to be a Bismuth/Pearl shipper.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:03 pm

"In Dreams"
Did I not call that?
This entire thing was cause he feels like he always needs to fix something. Everything is cool now, and this twit is pissing and moaning cause nothing needs fixing anymore. What an asshole. Maybe just be happy no one is trying to kill you anymore? Schmuck.

"Bismuth Casual"
AKA. Steven whines some more. Jesus, just shut up. The episode was called BISMUTH Casual and he still ate up most of the episode with his crap.
On the upside, Bismuth is totally into Pearl. Oh, there's fic potential in there. Never even considered those 2.
Last edited by Ameriganastan on Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:04 am

Jesus FUCKING Christ, Ameri.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:18 pm

Valrifell wrote:Jesus FUCKING Christ, Ameri.

What? It's true. "In Dreams" basically confirmed what I've been saying about this self-involved putz.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:25 pm

It is fascinating how he has no concept or understanding of the idea of "In Moderation."
Last edited by New haven america on Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:33 pm

New haven america wrote:

It is fascinating how he has no concept or understanding of the idea of "In Moderation."

Maybe if Steven would moderate his bitching, I wouldn't be so annoyed...
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:11 am

So apparently Peridot is something called aroace?

I'm getting too old to keep up with all this.

...Also, that shitty episode was apparently her big sendoff episode. Talk about a weak way to bow out.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Penguin Union Nation
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 14, 2007
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Penguin Union Nation » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:41 pm

Two excellent new episodes. I miss Steven and Peridot's interactions, and "In Dreams" was a return to form as we get both that and a little bit more of Steven's trippy dream world we've seen in previous episodes, but with a bit more trauma mixed in. I thought it was funny that at the end they decided to just hate-watch the Camp Pining Hearts reboot.

"Bismuth Casual" showed us how far Pearl's come since "Last One Out of Beach City" in interacting with humans, with her fanclub. And Bismuth's crush on her was adorable. More than that, though, we get to see Steven's struggles interacting with ordinary people, and how Connie is sort of his link to them. I've been in a situation where I'm the third or fourth in a group with only a connection to one, so I get where he was coming from. Stevonnie showing her moves off to Emily King's "Can't Hold Me" (a pretty racy song for a children's cartoon if you read all the lyrics) was fun, as was Pearl's love for the commercial jingle.

Next episode looks to be "Together Forever", and if the leak is accurate, it's where Steven's pains start coming to a head.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:47 pm

Penguin Union Nation wrote:Next episode looks to be "Together Forever", and if the leak is accurate, it's where Steven's pains start coming to a head.

Oh, joy. More entitled whining from Steven. What fun.
Last edited by Ameriganastan on Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Penguin Union Nation
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 14, 2007
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Penguin Union Nation » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:01 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Penguin Union Nation wrote:Next episode looks to be "Together Forever", and if the leak is accurate, it's where Steven's pains start coming to a head.

Oh, joy. More entitled whining from Steven. What fun.

He is actually entitled to "whine". He saved the f***ing galaxy. He gets to have some trauma.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction