NATION

PASSWORD

Writing Discussion II

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Lady Scylla
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Lady Scylla » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:50 am

USS Monitor wrote:
Lady Scylla wrote:
I remember reading about an author that wrote ideas like that on notecards, and then moved them around to develop a plot.

That sounds odd.

Everyone has their own ways I guess. I want to say it was Rowling, but I'm not sure about that.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:06 am

Lady Scylla wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:
That sounds odd.

Everyone has their own ways I guess. I want to say it was Rowling, but I'm not sure about that.

I think people are excessively good at identifying patterns. Hence, in theory, a series of insulated scenes could be arranged in several orders quite naturally.

As a test, try creating a plot/narrative framework out of, e.g. an alphabetic list of miscellaneous paintings, songs, buildings, whatever. I believe this is entirely doable and the only issue is in executing the resultant vision.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Corvus Metallum
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Corvus Metallum » Tue May 02, 2017 9:10 pm

In an effort to improve my writing, I'm looking around at different grammar and style texts. I'm torn between the AP Stylebook and The Chicago Manual of Style, as these seem to be the two most prominent ones for American English. Do y'all have any preference for one over the other, or would you recommend something else?

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Wed May 03, 2017 1:48 am

Corvus Metallum wrote:In an effort to improve my writing, I'm looking around at different grammar and style texts. I'm torn between the AP Stylebook and The Chicago Manual of Style, as these seem to be the two most prominent ones for American English. Do y'all have any preference for one over the other, or would you recommend something else?

For fiction writing, which is what most people in this thread are interested in, either of those is fine.

My dad's old publisher liked Chicago Manual of Style. I don't, but from a pragmatic standpoint, the publisher's opinion is probably more useful than mine.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Wed May 03, 2017 7:06 am

Lady Scylla wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:
It's normal for some parts of the story to come faster than others.

I remember reading about an author that wrote ideas like that on notecards, and then moved them around to develop a plot.

I sorta do that. I don't really outline as I tend to make it up as I go along, but I do have a few scenes in mind and write those downs, I just have no idea what will occur before or after those scenes.

I find outlining helps, but I also find it makes me lose motivation for actually writing the story as I see the outline as technically telling the story and all I'm doing is adding the details in the form of a draft. I guess having a full outline takes the excitement from me as I like some mystery when it comes to "what happens next?" I want to enjoy the ride as much as the reader.

I use notecards as brief character profiles and scene synopses (synopsi?), or for anything I may wish to add to the story later, such as a detail of worldbuilding, a cool idea for a new character, or as a reminder to change a scene or an outcome.

The only planning I really do is having a few main characters, a setting, and some scenes, and then I tweak and add and remove characters as necessary.
1 John 1:9

Lady Scylla
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lady Scylla » Wed May 03, 2017 8:28 am

Corvus Metallum wrote:In an effort to improve my writing, I'm looking around at different grammar and style texts. I'm torn between the AP Stylebook and The Chicago Manual of Style, as these seem to be the two most prominent ones for American English. Do y'all have any preference for one over the other, or would you recommend something else?

I would suggest "On Writing Well" by Zinsser. You can get it here. It focuses on non-fiction writing, but I think it's very helpful in fictional writing as well.

Zottistan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zottistan » Wed May 17, 2017 10:33 am

Thissun got a good response from the people I showed it to so I'm gonna pop it in here and see what you guys think.
The Watchman steps out,
Onto the moonlit tower.

Through warm sandstone tunnels,
Veins of the palace behind him,
The brown-skinned servant girl brings
Jugs of blood-red wine
To ugly men in beautiful clothes.
Perhaps a stray hand that thinks itself fatherly
Will stray where it shouldn't,
And her throat will fill with silent protests,
Stifled by the sneering, sticky warmth
Of the dense air and the sweaty palms
And agitated words that she understands too well
Although she does not know the language.

The Watchman sighs.

Here he is free.
Here the air is dry and crisp,
And free of distractions.
He breathes deeply,
And his lungs fill with silence,
His eyes with the silver moonlight
That turns the sands to snow.
Here he is free,
And here he is himself.

His lighter cuts the night,
A spark of light in the dark,
Of being in nothing,
And he lights a cigarette.

His wife gave him that lighter,
That perfect glowing metaphor,
Marking his existence in the dark and
Marked with his own name.
His wife, with the gapped buck teeth,
Who snored like rolling thunder.
His wife, with a small pot-belly
And cellulite on her ass
And two chins when she looked too far down.
His wife, who was so distant from
The fat men in the tight suits with the pitstains
In the palace.

The Watchman takes a pull,
And the silence breaks with the gentle hiss of hooves on sand.

A rider in black,
A smudge of ink on the white sand canvas,
Sits atop a pale horse and waves.
The Watchman waves back,
Then the bullet cuts cleanly through his forehead
And his skull explodes behind him into bloody shards.

A world ends in a moment,
With no warning,
Leaving nothing but a pot-bellied widow and a cigarette in the sand.
Ireland, BCL and LLM, Training Barrister, Cismale Bi Dude and Gym-Bro, Generally Boring Socdem Eurocuck

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed May 17, 2017 11:54 am

USS Monitor wrote:
Lady Scylla wrote:

That sounds odd.

I move around entire scenes like that.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Wed May 17, 2017 11:34 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:
That sounds odd.

I move around entire scenes like that.

Moving around whole scenes is not as weird.
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu May 18, 2017 3:10 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:I move around entire scenes like that.

I don't see the difference in principle, but maybe that's just me.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Thu May 18, 2017 11:39 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

I don't see the difference in principle, but maybe that's just me.

Scenes are written with the intention of tying into the same story, and the sentences within the scene are sequential (more or less -- you might move on here or there, but they're mostly written to fill a specific place in the scene). Just because you take something out of chapter 2 and turn it into a flashback in chapter 12 doesn't mean it was written randomly with no conception of how it was going to relate to the rest of the story. Regardless whether it goes in chapter 2 or chapter 12, it's still tailored to fit into the story, not just a random thought you had.

Unless you just write random scenes....

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Wed May 24, 2017 7:02 pm

I finally submitted a wholly original story! Not based off a show or someone else's idea or anything! WOO!
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Shaggai
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shaggai » Mon May 29, 2017 10:43 am

USS Monitor wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:I don't see the difference in principle, but maybe that's just me.

Scenes are written with the intention of tying into the same story, and the sentences within the scene are sequential (more or less -- you might move on here or there, but they're mostly written to fill a specific place in the scene). Just because you take something out of chapter 2 and turn it into a flashback in chapter 12 doesn't mean it was written randomly with no conception of how it was going to relate to the rest of the story. Regardless whether it goes in chapter 2 or chapter 12, it's still tailored to fit into the story, not just a random thought you had.

I think Conserative Morality meant moving scenes around within the plot, rather than simply within the book.
piss

Adytus
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Adytus » Mon May 29, 2017 11:13 am

Ameriganastan wrote:I finally submitted a wholly original story! Not based off a show or someone else's idea or anything! WOO!

Submitted it where?
Necromancer of Arbitration
In Lazarus

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Tue May 30, 2017 10:46 pm

Shaggai wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

I think Conserative Morality meant moving scenes around within the plot, rather than simply within the book.

Still not as weird as taking random out-of-context thoughts and trying to piece them together into a story.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Tue May 30, 2017 11:00 pm

Adytus wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:I finally submitted a wholly original story! Not based off a show or someone else's idea or anything! WOO!

Submitted it where?

Tumblr and DA. That's where I submit all my stuff.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Fire the Ameri.

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:36 pm

Anyone here I can discuss light novels with? I'm thinking about attempting to write one, but I'm wondering if there is that whole "if you aren't Japanese, you can't get published or create real manga" thing attached to the medium?

They seem like a good middle ground for what I'm after. Novels are too long and I don't think I have the commitment for novel writing, especially for a series. I find short stories too constricting, and light novels are sometimes compared to novellas in length. I figure novella would be a good step up from a short story but probably not be as daunting as a novel.

I also want to make manga, but I'm not Japanese, and all that drawing seems exhausting, and some manga span hundreds of chapters and volumes. I really like the manga artstyle, and want to use it to tell stories.

Also, is there an average word count for light novels? What about the number of chapters per book?
1 John 1:9

Lady Scylla
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lady Scylla » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:44 pm

Nordengrund wrote:Anyone here I can discuss light novels with? I'm thinking about attempting to write one, but I'm wondering if there is that whole "if you aren't Japanese, you can't get published or create real manga" thing attached to the medium?

They seem like a good middle ground for what I'm after. Novels are too long and I don't think I have the commitment for novel writing, especially for a series. I find short stories too constricting, and light novels are sometimes compared to novellas in length. I figure novella would be a good step up from a short story but probably not be as daunting as a novel.

I also want to make manga, but I'm not Japanese, and all that drawing seems exhausting, and some manga span hundreds of chapters and volumes. I really like the manga artstyle, and want to use it to tell stories.

Also, is there an average word count for light novels? What about the number of chapters per book?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_count#In_fiction

Do what you want to do.

The Federation of Kendor
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Federation of Kendor » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:45 am

Am I allowed to post a story here, so others can review my writing?
My Dispatch
North Korean Russia wrote:"I am God! You are powerless against me! I am so awesome that when I play basketball I always get four points per shot!" -Kim Jong-Putin.

Independant Nations and Guilds wrote:Their founder turned into an eagle and flew into the sun before being burned to death. This is what their flag really means, and any other attempt at explanation of its meaning is ignored in favor of this explanation.

If you support liberal democratic capitalism, paste this into your sig: $LFD
RP links: TBA

Anywhere Else But Here
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Anywhere Else But Here » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:56 am

The Federation of Kendor wrote:Am I allowed to post a story here, so others can review my writing?

Sure, but put it in a spoiler so it's easy to scroll past.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:23 am

This Ao3 site kinda rules. Way quicker feedback. And doesn't eat my likes like Tumblr is so oft to do.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Would that these little stones
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 23, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Would that these little stones » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:13 am

Get yourself a copy of the most recent edition of Strunk and White's Elements of Style. It'll change your life.

And hi, everyone. It's me, the old Improviser editor. Just finished my creative writing program — bittersweet — and I'm thinking about publishing a chapbook after I send out all the poems in it. Any interesting work you guys have read recently?
another damn senate puppet

Wallenburg
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Wallenburg » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:34 pm

Would that these little stones wrote:Get yourself a copy of the most recent edition of Strunk and White's Elements of Style. It'll change your life.

This exactly. It's a short, easy read, with tons of great guidelines.
While she had no regrets about throwing the lever to douse her husband's mistress in molten gold, Blanche did feel a pang of conscience for the innocent bystanders whose proximity had caused them to suffer gilt by association.

King of Snark, Real Piece of Work, Metabolizer of Oxygen, Old Man from The East Pacific, by the Malevolence of Her Infinite Terribleness Catherine Gratwick the Sole and True Claimant to the Bears Armed Vacancy, Protector of the Realm

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:03 pm

Depends on what you want to do.

They're style books, and so they won't teach you the basics, but how to write in a specific way for a specific purpose.

Chicago is the standard for academic research and non-fiction books in the humanities because of how well it plays with non-fiction material and sources, as well as the lack of breaks in the narrative, using either footnotes or endnotes as appropriate.

AP is for shorter, more concise documents.

Here's a blog describing the differences: http://apvschicago.com/

I'd back the above Strunk and White's Elements of Style as a read, only to understand what the rules are and what is proper and what isn't. I do not follow Strunk and White's, but I know of people who do. In the terms of AP vs. Chicago tho I'd say it all depends on what you feel more comfortable doing. I personally prefer Chicago as a good style to use in research, but then that's me.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:53 am

The best way to improve your writing is to write more. Style guides can help point the way, but the key is write something. One of the beat ways to figure out what works is to wait a day and just reread what you wrote. If something doesn't work grammatically or isn't clear it will stick out more to you. If you can recognize your own mistakes you'll be less apt to repeat them
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction