NATION

PASSWORD

Writing Discussion II

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

A Couple of People
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 16, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby A Couple of People » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:24 pm

I have heard the expression "write what you know" many times, but as I was writing my most recent song (I am a musician as well as a writer), I tried writing about something I had never experienced. It yields surprising results.

Juvencus
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 29, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Juvencus » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:34 pm

I want to write stuff, but I have no idea what. Could you please give me some ideas?
The Holy Empire of Juvencus
Diverse yet united
Demonym: Juven Trigram: JUE Capital: Pomena
Sonnel is my home<3

The New World Oceania
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New World Oceania » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:59 pm

Juvencus wrote:I want to write stuff, but I have no idea what. Could you please give me some ideas?

Look into getting a copy of Novakovich's "Fiction Writer's Workshop."

Until then, here's a prompt I like: George's Perec wrote in one of his journals, "Idea for a horror story — a cure for cancer is found, but it requires human flesh."
Woman-made-woman.
Formerly Not a Bang but a Whimper.
Mario Cerce, Member of the Red - Green Alliance, Fighting for your Fernão!
Elizia
Joyce Wu, Eternal President of Elizia
Wen Lin, Governor of Jinyu
Ahmed Alef, Member for South Hutnegeri
Dagmar
Elise Marlowe, Member for Varland
Calaverde
Alsafyr Njil, Minister of Justice
Vienna Eliot et. al, Poets
Dick Njil, Journalist
Assad Hazouri, Mayor of Masalbhumi
Baltonia
Clint Webb, Member of the Seima
Ment-Al Li, United Nations Agent
Aurentina
Clint Webb, Senator

Skymoot
Attaché

Founded: Feb 03, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Skymoot » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:24 pm

The New World Oceania wrote:
Juvencus wrote:I want to write stuff, but I have no idea what. Could you please give me some ideas?

Look into getting a copy of Novakovich's "Fiction Writer's Workshop."

Until then, here's a prompt I like: George's Perec wrote in one of his journals, "Idea for a horror story — a cure for cancer is found, but it requires human flesh."

See that's a good story idea right there. Sounds more like a critique on human society and individual human nature more than a horror story, but that's still an awesome idea.
Skymoot News Center: Towns welcome fireless steam engine future as railway lines bring jobs, tourists, and angry commuters | Hoogeloon City first in country to offer Skymoot Dragon Taming classes in universities | Grungy Glampers? National park rangers troubled by rising waste from new 'glamping' trend.| The "TWP Dragon" & the "Dragon Dragoon" brigade to be awarded for curing 130+ nations during Z-Day 2017. |||

Respubliko de Libereco
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Respubliko de Libereco » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:32 am

Why not write a retelling of a favourite legend or folk tale? Throw in your own personal modifications wherever you feel like it, but don't feel a compulsion to make it "a brand new and unexpected take on a classic" or anything like that. Focus on the characterization, setting, and little details that you think best fit the story, but don't worry about being totally original.

Coming up with "ideas" is far from the most important part of writing, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Last edited by Respubliko de Libereco on Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adytus
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Adytus » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:21 am

You could detail your nation! Here is an example
Last edited by Adytus on Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Necromancer of Arbitration
In Lazarus

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:27 am

An idea I had.

Some of you may have heard of the Art Book... we have two copies of the same edition and as I was flicking through it one day I thought, "What if you tried to generate a story with each chapter inspired by an artwork from the book?" At this point, I seem to have something which would be workable from the first 50 pages. I have not finished the outline, however.

The problem with ideas like this is that I know that over-planning is a common trap.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

The New World Oceania
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New World Oceania » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:20 am

Forsher wrote:

An idea I had.

Some of you may have heard of the Art Book... we have two copies of the same edition and as I was flicking through it one day I thought, "What if you tried to generate a story with each chapter inspired by an artwork from the book?" At this point, I seem to have something which would be workable from the first 50 pages. I have not finished the outline, however.

The problem with ideas like this is that I know that over-planning is a common trap.

Right, ekphrastic writing is always a good way to go.
Woman-made-woman.
Formerly Not a Bang but a Whimper.
Mario Cerce, Member of the Red - Green Alliance, Fighting for your Fernão!
Elizia
Joyce Wu, Eternal President of Elizia
Wen Lin, Governor of Jinyu
Ahmed Alef, Member for South Hutnegeri
Dagmar
Elise Marlowe, Member for Varland
Calaverde
Alsafyr Njil, Minister of Justice
Vienna Eliot et. al, Poets
Dick Njil, Journalist
Assad Hazouri, Mayor of Masalbhumi
Baltonia
Clint Webb, Member of the Seima
Ment-Al Li, United Nations Agent
Aurentina
Clint Webb, Senator

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:51 am

Hey, I never noticed this place. I jot down the occasional fluffy girl-girl fic. Trying to branch into something of my own creation, but it's tricky.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:51 pm

I haven't written anything for ages, but I think my next project will be an attempt at a tabletop RPG game book. The concept is based on a couple of anime I really like, and it's soft Sci-fi. There is futuristic technology, but it is more subtle and not actually the focus.
1 John 1:9

Rhodevus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 19, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Rhodevus » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:12 am

I'm trying to write up an outline to my next story, but I am stuck on my act 3 for it... Everything else fit into place perfectly, but i can't figure out a good transition from act 2 to act 3.
She/Her
IATA Member Embassy Character Creation 101
Do not argue against me, you will lose...or win, depending on the situation
The Official Madman with a Box
Rodrania wrote:Rhod, I f*cking love you, man. <3
Divergia wrote:The Canadian Polar-Potato-Moose-Cat has spoken!
Beiluxia wrote:Is it just me, or does your name keep getting better the more I see it?

Factbook
International Exchange Student Program Member
XENOS MEMBER OF THE MULTI-SPECIES UNION!

Tzarsgrad
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tzarsgrad » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:21 am

I was reading an article about writing meaningful twists at the ends of a story yesterday and I came across a comic that I found to be absolutely wonderful. If anyone of you can get your hands on the comic book Incredible Science Fiction #33, likely through digital means, I would highly recommend it. If you like sci-fi, I think that you would enjoy it immensely.
"And on the pedestal these words appear:
'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains..."
Are you a fan of pen and paper games? Then check out Tortured Earth! Addictive yet simple gameplay, with modules that range from an afternoon to several sessions! Although we're only in the developmental stages, keep in touch for details!

Sunstruck
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Sunstruck » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:31 am

here's a random tip
don't use the phrases "seemed to" and "began to" very often
characters began to fight, people seemed to be sleeping, cabinets appeared to be locked
sometimes people do that to make their writing look more sophisticated but it really would sound better like
characters fought, people slept, the cabinets were locked
because
they just are. those things are just happening, that's how it is. the extra words are unnecessary and clog up writing. they're filler words that make written works sound boring to read. and I've noticed those words being used in a lot of role-playing threads, many people use those words and it always snaps me out of my immersion
epic

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:00 am

I wrote three thousands words last night in a fit of madness.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Thanatttynia
Senator

Founded: Nov 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Thanatttynia » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:08 pm

Sunstruck wrote:here's a random tip
characters began to fight, people seemed to be sleeping, cabinets appeared to be locked
sometimes people do that to make their writing look more sophisticated but it really would sound better like
because
they just are. those things are just happening, that's how it is. the extra words are unnecessary and clog up writing. they're filler words that make written works sound boring to read. and I've noticed those words being used in a lot of role-playing threads, many people use those words and it always snaps me out of my immersion

I agree that people should probs use less of those particular phrases, but I don't think it's necessarily as cut and dry as that. To use your example, sometimes people can seem to be sleeping without actually sleeping - the author is probably trying to make a point about it not being certain that they are. There is a difference as well between a cabinet appearing to be locked and a cabinet actually being locked.
And when you get into the whole thing about words being unnecessary and clogging up writing it's hard to know where to stop; before you know it you've got little more than a glorified screenplay. That's fine for a screenplay but something like that leaves a lot to the imagination until it is physically acted out, and leaving lots to the imagination probably isn't what a writer is trying to do in something like a roleplay.
Syng I wolde, butt, alas! decendunt prospera grata.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:36 pm

Thanatttynia wrote:
Sunstruck wrote:here's a random tip
because

I agree that people should probs use less of those particular phrases, but I don't think it's necessarily as cut and dry as that. To use your example, sometimes people can seem to be sleeping without actually sleeping - the author is probably trying to make a point about it not being certain that they are. There is a difference as well between a cabinet appearing to be locked and a cabinet actually being locked.
And when you get into the whole thing about words being unnecessary and clogging up writing it's hard to know where to stop; before you know it you've got little more than a glorified screenplay. That's fine for a screenplay but something like that leaves a lot to the imagination until it is physically acted out, and leaving lots to the imagination probably isn't what a writer is trying to do in something like a roleplay.

Gotta agree. I am not a big fan of tips that say, "Try to avoid using this phrase," or, "Try to avoid using that word." If a word exists, there's probably a good reason for it, and there are places where it should be used. A lot of beginning writers write stuff that is really awkward because they are working too hard to avoid particular words or phrases that they've been told not to use.

If someone has a phrase that they use too often, you should point that out as personalized feedback.

I just don't think there are too many phrases that people should be advised to avoid as a general writing tip for everyone.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

The Federation of Kendor
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Federation of Kendor » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:13 am

Ate any of you here currently writing a story?
My Dispatch
North Korean Russia wrote:"I am God! You are powerless against me! I am so awesome that when I play basketball I always get four points per shot!" -Kim Jong-Putin.

Independant Nations and Guilds wrote:Their founder turned into an eagle and flew into the sun before being burned to death. This is what their flag really means, and any other attempt at explanation of its meaning is ignored in favor of this explanation.

If you support liberal democratic capitalism, paste this into your sig: $LFD
RP links: TBA

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:55 am

The Federation of Kendor wrote:Ate any of you here currently writing a story?

In theory, always.

There was a bitter cut to the air. Sacha could feel it despite the climb. There, at the top of the cliff, chest heaving, cheeks flush and choked with dry, glue-like spit, he felt it. There, over-looking the wide expanse of geostrategic reasoning. There silhouetted against a raw, starless sky dominated by the enormous presence of a moon fully free of the oppressive shadow of the sun. There, at that moment, in that time -- Sacha felt it. There. Each intake of breath, each guld of that life-stuff, each desperate in-rush of oxygen -- all of them poisoned by this... sharpness. It was as if it were about to rain.

"So, do you they'll do it?"
"Do what?"
"Declare war."
"What? Them?
"Yeah."
The two smokers looked down, shrouded by beanies, scarves and the gross funk of their wretched habit. As swaddled vultures they focussed on the slow scurry of overcoats and puffed jackets. Every movement laboured with a subtle urgency, every step burdened by the ignorance of uncertainty, every soul dancing to the over-wrought tune of change -- but only if you knew them of old.

The vultures turned their heads, shifting the foul stink of an antique addiction as they did so -- it was almost artistic, an auteur's lazy reach for a means to frame the scene disguised in the self-evident genius of execution, but it was still smoke, still nothingness, empty and devoid. Yet, the vultures his keen minds deep beneath layers of defiance -- of facts, of limits, of excuses -- but should this surprise? There, wedged between cold, unromantic concrete and the rich gravitas of the old building, no-one else could have known, could have felt, their presence. Surely, of all vultures, in all possible worlds, these two were at least attuned to the natures of Man?

"Huh." The figure shrugged. Deep, chocolate-brown hair briefly fell from the once-snug, obscene red of a grandmother's beanie. "Maybe."

The non-committal eyes danced briefly, swivelling to meet an absent grey -- so pale it matched the weak grey-blue light of the still, frozen morning. "Typical."

See? I wrote that a few days ago... based on an idea that's been bouncing around in my head for ages. Not the first take either... I've put pen to paper on the "plot" before.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:18 am

Respubliko de Libereco wrote:

Why not write a retelling of a favourite legend or folk tale? Throw in your own personal modifications wherever you feel like it, but don't feel a compulsion to make it "a brand new and unexpected take on a classic" or anything like that. Focus on the characterization, setting, and little details that you think best fit the story, but don't worry about being totally original.

Coming up with "ideas" is far from the most important part of writing, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I actually worked on a reselling of the Tortoise and the Hair, except I focused on setting and characterization, trying to come up with personalities and daily lives of the characters.

Osnil Returns
Minister

Founded: Feb 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Osnil Returns » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:57 pm

Nordengrund wrote:
Respubliko de Libereco wrote:Why not write a retelling of a favourite legend or folk tale? Throw in your own personal modifications wherever you feel like it, but don't feel a compulsion to make it "a brand new and unexpected take on a classic" or anything like that. Focus on the characterization, setting, and little details that you think best fit the story, but don't worry about being totally original.

I actually worked on a reselling of the Tortoise and the Hair, except I focused on setting and characterization, trying to come up with personalities and daily lives of the characters.

I want to write a retelling of that in the modern day. Where the Tortoise is disqualified because the Hare claimed that the tortoise was picking on a minority.
Ancient Ones-1 Justice League, 1 Sith Lord, 1 firebender, 1 nutcase, 1 Pokemon Trainer
There is more science in Grimm's Fairy Tales than in evolution.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:25 pm

The Federation of Kendor wrote:Ate any of you here currently writing a story?

Indeed I am. Still ironing out some kinks and whatnot before I submit it.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:33 pm

What are some tips for worldbuilding. I don't want to be too focused on the setting that it gets in the way of actually writing the story, but I still think it is important, especially since my story is fantasy.

I have an idea for a character, and I think the story is going to be low fantasy and character-centric, where magic and the supernatural is absent or at least just subtle and not playing an important part of the story.

I don't want to resort to the default generic pseudo-medieval European land, but I also don't want to feel like I'm ripping off of IRL cultures, either. Most of the story will take place in a city.
Last edited by Nordengrund on Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:27 pm

Nordengrund wrote:What are some tips for worldbuilding. I don't want to be too focused on the setting that it gets in the way of actually writing the story, but I still think it is important, especially since my story is fantasy.

I have an idea for a character, and I think the story is going to be low fantasy and character-centric, where magic and the supernatural is absent or at least just subtle and not playing an important part of the story.

I don't want to resort to the default generic pseudo-medieval European land, but I also don't want to feel like I'm ripping off of IRL cultures, either. Most of the story will take place in a city.

You could try doing a mix of elements from different cultures. Or you could take ideas from an existing culture, but change all the vocabulary. For example, you could have samurai and bushido and seppuku, but make up different words for them instead of borrowing the Japanese.

Or do something else if you decide you'd rather do something else. There aren't many rules when it comes to worldbuilding. Just try to keep your world consistent within itself. IOW, if magic works a certain way in chapter 1, it should work the same way in chapter 2, and every chapter after that.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Altoa Land
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Altoa Land » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:52 am

Erotic fiction is very popular, it might even be the most popluar fiction genre...

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:54 pm

I can say from personal experience that writing erotic fiction is also the quickest way to get people to read what you write. Make of that what you will
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction