NATION

PASSWORD

Metal Thread 2: In Metal There Is No Law

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

New Rob Halfordia
Minister

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New Rob Halfordia » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:52 pm

Corrian wrote:I'm out of metal to listen to again (kinda, I got some floating around). Give me random suggestions!

Kar-Esseria wrote:I don't think I've heard that song 'The Wizard' though. I might be wrong, maybe.

Here

Stratovarius
Siliarba wrote:I stayed out of his way and let him do his thing, but the guy is a monster, a thing worse than cancer that needs to be removed and destroyed.

Kiris the korrupter wrote:Article 1 yb REMOVE new rob halfordia for being annoying cunt new rob halfordia toxic poster rob interaction like injecting toxic into eye

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:59 pm

ugh got my sig reported. no fun allowed.
Last edited by Impaled Nazarene on Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anarchist
Kiaculta wrote:Oh, Kar, you silly sack of shit.
Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Bickering ist krieg.
Infected Mushroom wrote:isn't this a bit extreme?
Finland SSR wrote:"Many dictatorships are oligarchies.
Many democracies are oligarchies.
Therefore, many dictatorships are democracies."

-said no one ever. I made these words up.
Genivaria wrote:"WHY!? Why do this!? Thousands of planets and trillions of innocent lives gone! For what!?"
"It seemed like fun at the time."

NeuPolska
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby NeuPolska » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:17 pm

Because I want to honor some heroes that aren't necessarily Polish, I'm writing a song about Alexander Nevski and the Battle of Lake Peipus (also known as the Battle On The Ice), where Nevski, Prince of Novgorod, saved the great city from the Teutonic Knights in a decisive victory. Can I get some feedback on the lyrics so far? The beginning is not the intro, I started writing from the middle of the song. So this is what I've got so far (commas are brief pauses, mostly used to fill in for missing syllables or to make certain lyrics more drawn out):

Alexander Nevski
Prince of Novgorod
Hero of the Rus
Savior of his kind
Saint, of the Slavs

The cold was bitter
The lake frozen solid
Under our boots
The black cross
Loomed over the horizon

The, charge, came
Teuton met Slav
Steel on steel
Furs on mail
Bloody ripped tabbards
And shattered swords and shields

Please, call me POLSKA
U.S. Army Enlisted
Kar-Esseria wrote:Who is that and are they female because if not then they can go make love to their hand.
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Go home Polska wins NS.
United Mongol Hordes wrote:Polska isn't exactly the nicest guy in the world
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Hurd you miss the point more than Polska misses Poland.
Rhodesialund wrote:when you have Charlie ten feet away or something operating operationally.
Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:Gayla is living in 1985 but these guys are already in 1916

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:28 pm

NeuPolska wrote:Because I want to honor some heroes that aren't necessarily Polish, I'm writing a song about Alexander Nevski and the Battle of Lake Peipus (also known as the Battle On The Ice), where Nevski, Prince of Novgorod, saved the great city from the Teutonic Knights in a decisive victory. Can I get some feedback on the lyrics so far? The beginning is not the intro, I started writing from the middle of the song. So this is what I've got so far (commas are brief pauses, mostly used to fill in for missing syllables or to make certain lyrics more drawn out):

Alexander Nevski
Prince of Novgorod
Hero of the Rus
Savior of his kind
Saint, of the Slavs

The cold was bitter
The lake frozen solid
Under our boots
The black cross
Loomed over the horizon

The, charge, came
Teuton met Slav
Steel on steel
Furs on mail
Bloody ripped tabbards

What genre? give me some info and i could give you a demo
Anarchist

Genivaria wrote:"WHY!? Why do this!? Thousands of planets and trillions of innocent lives gone! For what!?"

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:29 pm

Impaled Nazarene wrote:ugh got my sig reported. no fun allowed.

Yeah, I know. Got reported by a guy I didn't even know. But rules are rules.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

NeuPolska
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby NeuPolska » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:32 pm

Impaled Nazarene wrote:
NeuPolska wrote:Because I want to honor some heroes that aren't necessarily Polish, I'm writing a song about Alexander Nevski and the Battle of Lake Peipus (also known as the Battle On The Ice), where Nevski, Prince of Novgorod, saved the great city from the Teutonic Knights in a decisive victory. Can I get some feedback on the lyrics so far? The beginning is not the intro, I started writing from the middle of the song. So this is what I've got so far (commas are brief pauses, mostly used to fill in for missing syllables or to make certain lyrics more drawn out):

Alexander Nevski
Prince of Novgorod
Hero of the Rus
Savior of his kind
Saint, of the Slavs

The cold was bitter
The lake frozen solid
Under our boots
The black cross
Loomed over the horizon

The, charge, came
Teuton met Slav
Steel on steel
Furs on mail
Bloody ripped tabbards

What genre? give me some info and i could give you a demo

It's likely going to be death. But I'm thinking either symphonic or folk death. Because I want to make sure it sounds epic as fuck but I like death growls and heavy guitars. So it'd be death metal influenced by traditional heavy metal, power metal, and with elements of either symphonic or folk metal.

Please, call me POLSKA
U.S. Army Enlisted
Kar-Esseria wrote:Who is that and are they female because if not then they can go make love to their hand.
Rhodesialund wrote:when you have Charlie ten feet away or something operating operationally.
Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:Gayla is living in 1985 but these guys are already in 1916

The republic of Kosh Naranek
Diplomat

Founded: May 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The republic of Kosh Naranek » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:38 pm

Impaled Nazarene wrote:we should open a record shop. Finally an underground punk and metal record shop that has every subgenre and fusion/hybrid subgenre pinpointed.

From the Dead Kennedy's to our latest death/thrash metal band! We have it, quality products, for good prices!
Hello, just a fellow headbanger, wondering about the future.
I'm a bisexual homoromantic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC5PU9YNlGM

I am a center-left moderate social libertarian Left: 2.79, Libertarian: 2.71 If you want to take the same quiz: http://www.gotoquiz.com/politics/politi ... -quiz.html

NeuPolska
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby NeuPolska » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:56 pm

I was in the mood for some black metal, and I haven't listened to Burzum's Filosofem yet, which I get the feeling is an essential Burzum album. So I'm listening to it.

After a couple songs, I can see where the Burzum hype comes from. Varg's personal beliefs aside, this is a good album. I like it, at least so far.
Last edited by NeuPolska on Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Please, call me POLSKA
U.S. Army Enlisted

NeuPolska
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby NeuPolska » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:30 pm

Okay, a few thoughts on Filosofem.

This album put me in a trance. But trance is a bad word to describe it. It was great in the beginning, and enough to get me in, and then once that second to last song was on (the 25 minute one) I was just completely mellowed out. I feel really weird now, after listening to it. It's not a standard emotion, it's sort of like some sort of nihilism, where I'm pretty dulled down and I'm not sure what to say or anything. I just kind of walk around like a zombie. It's like how I felt after watching Nieulotne or Miasto 44. A bit of a brief summary of both movies:

About a guy and a girl (both Polish college students, and they're in love) who go to Spain for summer vacation. There's a feeling of uneasiness throughout the entire movie. The people who put the camera work and the music together did a great job of just making it so emotionally crushing. Not in the sense that you cry but in the sense that by the end of the movie you don't know what to feel anymore, and you get stuck in this limbo where everything is dull and you're not sure what's going on anymore.

Anyway, the guy goes out to a lake, and he gets confronted by some rich guy who claims to be the owner of the property and threatens him with all this legal stuff. He also beats up the Polish student and starts walking away. That's when the guy takes an oxygen tank (he likes scuba diving) and hits the rich guy on the head, killing him. He then sinks the body into the lake and has to deal with emotional trauma. He ends telling his girlfriend, she hates him and never wants to see him again, but then it turns out he got her pregnant and then they're back in Warsaw and everything's grey and dull and she has to figure out what she's doing with herself and he's trying to get her back and it's just really screwed up by the end. There's no grand ending, it just sort of fades out and leaves you stuck there.

About the Warsaw Uprising. More specifically, a young teenager who lives with his mother and little brother, and his dad died fighting the Nazis. He joins up with the underground resistance despite his mother's warnings and tons of crying and yelling, but he enjoys being part of it. Then the first fight happens, and it really shows how uncertain fighting can be. You could get shot at any time and every action is a risk. But he cannot find it in him to kill. He forces a surrender and victory is declared for the Poles. Everyone's happy. But then there's a deadly and brutal battle in a cemetery (and the makeup and effects crew did a fantastic job, one half of a guy's face got completely torn off and it was insane). The guy survives, though he was grazed by a bullet. He wakes up in a blown out apartment, and glances outside as he hears commotion. He watches as the Nazis round up the insurgents that were caught and shoot them all. The young soldier then sees his mom and brother out there too, the Germans took everyone out of their homes. His mom eventually sees him looking at her, and just stares at him while he stares at her. She's just stuck standing holding her young son's hand. A Nazi officer walks up to them and puts a bullet through the kid's head, blowing him right of his mother's hand. She keeps staring at her oldest son as he stares at her, even as her shoulders swing in reaction to her youngest being ripped from her hand. She is then shot immediately afterward, and then things just fall apart from there. A lot of crazy mind-numbingly things continue throughout the movie, the effects crew again not missing a beat, and eventually by the end the soldier survives, though barely, and is reunited with a young girl he met that fell in love with him, and they sit on the same little island in the river that they met in at the beginning of the movie. The city burns all around them, and slowly it goes from Warsaw 1944 to Warsaw today. But it just sort of ends, there's no grand ending either so you're just stuck there.

So yeah, it screwed me up a bit but that album was a good album. Not quite as mind-numbing as either of those two movies but it gave me a feeling that was kind of like how I felt after watching those movies.

Please, call me POLSKA
U.S. Army Enlisted

NeuPolska
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby NeuPolska » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:21 pm

Hey, where's that guy that was preaching Arkona about a hundred pages ago or so?

I listened to this and I'm loving this band. The cool part is I'm able to understand a bit of it without looking at the translation (though the Polish translation in that particular video is handy), goes to show how similar Slavic languages are.

Please, call me POLSKA
U.S. Army Enlisted

The Alexanderians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alexanderians » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:51 pm

Alexander Nevski
Prince of Novgorod
Hero of the Rus
Savior of his kind
Saint, of the Slavs

The cold was bitter
The lake frozen solid
Under our boots
The black cross
Loomed over the horizon

The, charge, came
Teuton met Slav
Steel on steel
Furs on mail
Bloody ripped tabbards

I think I love you
Galloism wrote:Or we can go with feminism doesn't exist. We all imagined it. Collectively.
You can't fight the friction
Women belong in the kitchen
Men belong in the kitchen
Everyone belongs in the kitchen
Kitchen has food
I have brought dishonor to my gaming clan
Achesia wrote:Threads like this is why I need to stop coming to NSG....

Marethian Lupanar of Teladre wrote:A bright and cheerful mountain village of chapel-goers~

The Archregimancy wrote:
Hagia Sophia is best church.

Major-Tom wrote:Why am I full of apathy?

I'm just here to be the peanut gallery
уσυ нανєи'т gσт тнє fυℓℓ єffє¢т

The Lendol Archipelago
Senator

Founded: Mar 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Lendol Archipelago » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:19 pm

NeuPolska wrote:
The Lendol Archipelago wrote:All very good songs. Which version of À Tout Le Monde do you like?

The original, with just Dave.

I prefer the United Abominations one, it was the one I listened to first.

Bodobol wrote:
Kiaculta wrote:
Agree with you. Youthanasia as a whole is a fairly underrated album, same goes for Cryptic Writings honestly.

Youthanasia was a great album, Cryptic Writings I haven't listened to besides a couple of songs.

I'm the same. I should get Cryptic Writings soon.
Proud Member of the INTERNATIONAL FREEDOM COALITION!
✎ Member - ℘ædagog
"Do you think atomic bombs are made from mega-strenght Downy towels?" - Mozria
"I'm going to die alone, aren't I?" - Wester
#ValaranSoFab
I'm Lebdol Archpenis

Cosumar
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosumar » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:33 pm

Corrian wrote:I'm out of metal to listen to again (kinda, I got some floating around). Give me random suggestions!

If you're ever in the mood for something like Myrath (catchy middle-eastern metal) but slightly more progressive and/or death metal-influenced, look up Orphaned Land. I've been listening to them a lot this week.

Or for something on the extreme, mind-bending side of metal spectrum, give Obscura by Gorguts a go.

And of course, I'd always recommend my personal Big Four of Metal if you haven't heard one of them yet (Blind Guardian, Dissection, Death, Candlemass).
Last edited by Cosumar on Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Qualified: World Cups 54-59, 62, 73-83
President, World Lacrosse Fed.
World Bowl VP

Champions: DBC 35/44/45, AOCAF 54, Eagle Cup VII, WCoH 33, CoH 64, IBC 18, NSCF 10/11/15/16, WLC 20/21/26, Arena Bowl I & III
2nd Place: AOCAF 57, NSCF 13, WBC 34, WLC 12/19/23, AOHC VI, Arena Bowl V
3rd Place: AOCAF 55, CoH 45 & 62, WLC 18 & 24, BoI VI

Host: WC 78 & 82, CoH 69 & 74, BoF 62, World Bowl 27, WLC 20, Beach Cup II & V
NEWSWIRE
Your friendly neighborhood Metalhead
Last.fm | RYM | Essential Cosumarcore
Political Compass
U of Texas grad livin in NC
Dallas sports
Secularist, Environmentalist, LGBT/BLM/feminist ally, Whovian
Author, Issue 319: Sizing Up The Competition

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:51 am

Oh, old Gorguts. I can't recall if I could really get into that. I like new Gorguts , though.

I'll give those others a try, though (Besides Candlemass. I know them)

New Rob Halfordia wrote:Stratovarius

And I'll give at least some of this a listen.

Also, I still recommend you guys give Lychgate a try (I know some of you did, but I'm suggesting the full album to check out as a 2015 metal album. Listening to it now). The organs really add to the black metal.
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

Kiaculta
Ambassador

Founded: May 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Kiaculta » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:06 am

Corrian wrote:Oh, old Gorguts. I can't recall if I could really get into that. I like new Gorguts , though.

"new" Gorguts: Just one album. An amazing one though.
Lars Ulrich: Hello, Dave. Look at your band. Now back to mine. Now back at your band. Now back to mine. Sadly, your band isn't mine, but if they stopped playing pure thrash metal and switched to a tough guy version of Motley Crue, they could sell like they're Metallica! Look down, back up, where are you? You're on the high road, taking it higher like a super collider. That album was great. What's in your hand, back at me. I have it, it's a hard drive with all the private information of the users we banned from Napster. Look again, the hard drive is now Babymetal. Anything is possible when your band reeks of pop. I'm wearing a thong.

Varg Vikernes can fuck off.

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:16 am

where have you been all my life havok?
Last edited by Impaled Nazarene on Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anarchist

New Rob Halfordia
Minister

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New Rob Halfordia » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:44 am

Impaled Nazarene wrote:where have you been all my life havok?

Aren't they the best?
Siliarba wrote:I stayed out of his way and let him do his thing, but the guy is a monster, a thing worse than cancer that needs to be removed and destroyed.

Kiris the korrupter wrote:Article 1 yb REMOVE new rob halfordia for being annoying cunt new rob halfordia toxic poster rob interaction like injecting toxic into eye

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:45 am

New Rob Halfordia wrote:
Impaled Nazarene wrote:where have you been all my life havok?

Aren't they the best?

Faptastic
Anarchist

The Eurasian Front
Secretary

Founded: May 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Eurasian Front » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:39 am

I saw Martyrdod play at Obscene Extreme in 2010 and they blew my mind. I can't decide if they're crust or metal though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNtWBF-g-MI

Ravenflight
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ravenflight » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:40 am

I am tagging this!
I'm PANGENDER
ONE NATION TORIES ARE 1% SUPPORTERS
By our Ancestors, For our Children. Join the Viking Party
My Political Beliefs
Senator Daniel Björn

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:52 am

Ravenflight wrote:I am tagging this!

Uh :eyebrow: Why not just actually post something? such as Murmaider or Rain Eater?
Anarchist

Cadonica
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 19, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cadonica » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:44 am

The Lendol Archipelago wrote:
NeuPolska wrote:The original, with just Dave.

I prefer the United Abominations one, it was the one I listened to first.

I absolutely despised United Abominations version of it.
IC
Steam, Last.fm, RYM
Call me Cad or Sisu.
That's what they said:Once you go black metal...

That's what I said:
That Finnish bastard. ~2011
Sleeping is overrated. ~2012
I'm only gay with females. ~2013
Wings are sexy and you know it! ~2013.

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:40 am

The Eurasian Front wrote:I saw Martyrdod play at Obscene Extreme in 2010 and they blew my mind. I can't decide if they're crust or metal though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNtWBF-g-MI

Got the album In Extremis by Martyrdöd myself. Some call the musical style of the band 'blackened crust'.
CVT Temp wrote:I mean, we can actually create a mathematical definition for evolution in terms of the evolutionary algorithm and then write code to deal with abstract instances of evolution, which basically equates to mathematical proof that evolution works. All that remains is to show that biological systems replicate in such a way as to satisfy the minimal criteria required for evolution to apply to them, something which has already been adequately shown time and again. At this point, we've pretty much proven that not only can evolution happen, it pretty much must happen since it's basically impossible to prevent it from happening.

The Lendol Archipelago
Senator

Founded: Mar 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Lendol Archipelago » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:38 am

Cadonica wrote:
The Lendol Archipelago wrote:I prefer the United Abominations one, it was the one I listened to first.

I absolutely despised United Abominations version of it.

Each to their own, I guess. :p
Proud Member of the INTERNATIONAL FREEDOM COALITION!
✎ Member - ℘ædagog
"Do you think atomic bombs are made from mega-strenght Downy towels?" - Mozria
"I'm going to die alone, aren't I?" - Wester
#ValaranSoFab
I'm Lebdol Archpenis

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:38 am

So I just read an update on Facebook that Ihsahn said "the new album is done". I dig Ihsahn, so I'm certainly curious.

Also stumbled across Arcturus, which seems...interesting.
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction