NATION

PASSWORD

Metal Thread 2: In Metal There Is No Law

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nazgur
Envoy

Founded: Jun 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazgur » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:26 pm

NeuPolska wrote:
Nazgur wrote:anyone know of some school appropriate metal (pref black/death) that conveys a message?

its not homework we just have to choose a song with a message for a project we're doing at school

Amon Amarth - Slaves Of Fear

idk why but people think amon amarth is a screaming/screamo band

like seriously screamo is emo punk rock
Stop the boats.

Cadonica
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 19, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cadonica » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:27 pm

Nazgur wrote:anyone know of some school appropriate metal (pref black/death) that conveys a message?

its not homework we just have to choose a song with a message for a project we're doing at school

Impaled Nazarene - Into the Eye of the Storm
IC
Steam, Last.fm, RYM
Call me Cad or Sisu.
That's what they said:Once you go black metal...

That's what I said:
That Finnish bastard. ~2011
Sleeping is overrated. ~2012
I'm only gay with females. ~2013
Wings are sexy and you know it! ~2013.

Nazgur
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Nazgur » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:28 pm

Cadonica wrote:

Impaled Nazarene - Into the Eye of the Storm

THAT COVER ART IS SO SCHOOL APPROPRIATE
Stop the boats.

Nazgur
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Nazgur » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:29 pm

the lyrics Fuck this and fuck you too are totally school appropriate too
Stop the boats.

NeuPolska
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby NeuPolska » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:29 pm

Nazgur wrote:
NeuPolska wrote:Amon Amarth - Slaves Of Fear

idk why but people think amon amarth is a screaming/screamo band

like seriously screamo is emo punk rock

That's why you have to be the one to enlighten them on the differences.

Please, call me POLSKA
U.S. Army Enlisted
Kar-Esseria wrote:Who is that and are they female because if not then they can go make love to their hand.
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Go home Polska wins NS.
United Mongol Hordes wrote:Polska isn't exactly the nicest guy in the world
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Hurd you miss the point more than Polska misses Poland.
Rhodesialund wrote:when you have Charlie ten feet away or something operating operationally.
Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:Gayla is living in 1985 but these guys are already in 1916

Cadonica
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cadonica » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:30 pm

Nazgur wrote:the lyrics Fuck this and fuck you too are totally school appropriate too

Right... I just looked at that conveys a message part :p
IC
Steam, Last.fm, RYM
Call me Cad or Sisu.

That's what I said:

Kar-Esseria
Minister

Founded: Oct 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Kar-Esseria » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:31 pm

Thurses wrote:
Kar-Esseria wrote:
Kickass.

you should listen to thergothon clean operatic vocals and slow but epic riffs

Will do.

If you're going to play black/death metal at the school, there's a 99% chance most of the people who hear it will go "What the fuck is that!? That's awful! Turn it off!", either out loud or in their heads.

At least that's what I'd do. :p
#FeelTheBern
Don't call them ISIS/ISIL/IS, call them Daesh. They hate that.

Nazgur
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Nazgur » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:33 pm

Kar-Esseria wrote:
Thurses wrote:you should listen to thergothon clean operatic vocals and slow but epic riffs

Will do.

If you're going to play black/death metal at the school, there's a 99% chance most of the people who hear it will go "What the fuck is that!? That's awful! Turn it off!", either out loud or in their heads.

At least that's what I'd do. :p

OH MY GOD :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Stop the boats.

Kar-Esseria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kar-Esseria » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:34 pm

But metal in general isn't really "school appropriate", with the extreme genres probably being the worst.

The closest to "school appropriate" there is in metal would be glam, but even then you'd still have a hard time finding something "school appropriate". :lol2:
#FeelTheBern

Cenning
Envoy

Founded: Aug 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Cenning » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:46 pm

Kar-Esseria wrote:If you're going to play black/death metal at the school, there's a 99% chance most of the people who hear it will go "What the fuck is that!? That's awful! Turn it off!", either out loud or in their heads.

Show them the lyrics first, then once they're interested play it.

Sure, they'll hate the music, but if the lyrics are good enough you might just be able to surprise them and open their minds a little.

Bodobol
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 12, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Bodobol » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:46 pm

Once in eighth grade I was given free rein over what music to play for a game in our Spanish class and I chose Transilvanian Hunger. Good times.

Behemoth - Ora Pro Nobis Lucifer
Last.fmRead my blogshe/her

Kar-Esseria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kar-Esseria » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:47 pm

Cenning wrote:
Kar-Esseria wrote:If you're going to play black/death metal at the school, there's a 99% chance most of the people who hear it will go "What the fuck is that!? That's awful! Turn it off!", either out loud or in their heads.

Show them the lyrics first, then once they're interested play it.

Sure, they'll hate the music, but if the lyrics are good enough you might just be able to surprise them and open their minds a little.

Oh I'm sure they'll get a kick out of singing about raping their sister's burnt, dismembered corpse. :p
#FeelTheBern

Cosumar
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosumar » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:48 pm

There's plenty of school-appropriate metal.

Traditional heavy metal, power metal, folk metal, progressive metal and even some thrash and melodeath all come to mind as being more likely to be lyrically appropriate than the party-hard themes of glam metal.

I've used Primordial (many songs about the history of Ireland) and Bathory ("One Rode To Asa Bay") in school projects before. Also one of Gojira's environmental songs.
Last edited by Cosumar on Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Qualified: World Cups 54-59, 62, 73-83
President, World Lacrosse Fed.
World Bowl VP

Champions: DBC 35/44/45, AOCAF 54, Eagle Cup VII, WCoH 33, CoH 64, IBC 18, NSCF 10/11/15/16, WLC 20/21/26, Arena Bowl I & III
2nd Place: AOCAF 57, NSCF 13, WBC 34, WLC 12/19/23, AOHC VI, Arena Bowl V
3rd Place: AOCAF 55, CoH 45 & 62, WLC 18 & 24, BoI VI

Host: WC 78 & 82, CoH 69 & 74, BoF 62, World Bowl 27, WLC 20, Beach Cup II & V
NEWSWIRE
Your friendly neighborhood Metalhead
Last.fm | RYM | Essential Cosumarcore
Political Compass
U of Texas grad livin in NC
Dallas sports
Secularist, Environmentalist, LGBT/BLM/feminist ally, Whovian
Author, Issue 319: Sizing Up The Competition

Nazgur
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Nazgur » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:49 pm

Cosumar wrote:There's plenty of school-appropriate metal.

Traditional heavy metal, power metal, folk metal, progressive metal and even some thrash and melodeath all come to mind as being more likely to be lyrically appropriate than the party-hard themes of glam metal.

I've used Primordial (many songs about the history of Ireland) and Bathory ("One Rode To Asa Bay") in school projects before. Also one of Gojira's environmental songs.

yes
bathory
yes
thanks mate
Stop the boats.

Cadonica
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cadonica » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:50 pm

Bodobol wrote:

Once in eighth grade I was given free rein over what music to play for a game in our Spanish class and I chose Transilvanian Hunger. Good times.

Back in high school our Spanish teacher said we can listen to music while studying. As long as it's sung in Spanish. I only knew two songs that fit that description, ZZ Top's Que Lastima and Mescalero. Of course I got bored of them pretty soon and that's when I found El Reloj. Argentinian prog rock band whose last album is heavy metal.
IC
Steam, Last.fm, RYM
Call me Cad or Sisu.

That's what I said:

Kar-Esseria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kar-Esseria » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:50 pm

Thrash, Melodeath, and Traditional are a bit a stretch.

Power and Folk might be a stretch depending on who is singing it and what it's about.

But I'll give you Progressive.
#FeelTheBern

Kar-Esseria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kar-Esseria » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:50 pm

Cadonica wrote:
Bodobol wrote:

Back in high school our Spanish teacher said we can listen to music while studying. As long as it's sung in Spanish. I only knew two songs that fit that description, ZZ Top's Que Lastima and Mescalero. Of course I got bored of them pretty soon and that's when I found El Reloj. Argentinian prog rock band whose last album is heavy metal.

You take Spanish in Finland? :blink:
#FeelTheBern

Cadonica
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cadonica » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:52 pm

Hell, my lil bro took Master of Puppets to his music class on 2nd grade! (8-years old) But then again, this is Finland so there's that :p
IC
Steam, Last.fm, RYM
Call me Cad or Sisu.

That's what I said:

Nazgur
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Nazgur » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:53 pm

Cadonica wrote:

Hell, my lil bro took Master of Puppets to his music class on 2nd grade! (8-years old) But then again, this is Finland so there's that :p

nek minnit satanic warmaster cry of the barbarian wolves
Stop the boats.

Cosumar
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Cosumar » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:54 pm

Nazgur wrote:

yes
bathory
yes
thanks mate

Np :hug:

One Rode To Asa Bay is a fascinating account of the violent christianization of ancient Scandinavia, so I recommend that one. You could use pretty much anything from their Viking years though.
World Bowl VP

Champions: DBC 35/44/45, AOCAF 54, Eagle Cup VII, WCoH 33, CoH 64, IBC 18, NSCF 10/11/15/16, WLC 20/21/26, Arena Bowl I & III

NEWSWIRE
Political Compass
Dallas sports

The republic of Kosh Naranek
Diplomat

Founded: May 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The republic of Kosh Naranek » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:54 pm

Kar-Esseria wrote:But metal in general isn't really "school appropriate", with the extreme genres probably being the worst.

The closest to "school appropriate" there is in metal would be glam, but even then you'd still have a hard time finding something "school appropriate". :lol2:

What about Iron Maiden's history based lyrics, with songs like Alexander the great, and Aces High, both based on history?
Hello, just a fellow headbanger, wondering about the future.
I'm a bisexual homoromantic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC5PU9YNlGM

I am a center-left moderate social libertarian Left: 2.79, Libertarian: 2.71 If you want to take the same quiz: http://www.gotoquiz.com/politics/politi ... -quiz.html

Cenning
Envoy

Founded: Aug 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Cenning » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:54 pm

Kar-Esseria wrote:
Cenning wrote:Show them the lyrics first, then once they're interested play it.

Oh I'm sure they'll get a kick out of singing about raping their sister's burnt, dismembered corpse. :p

Yeah, that was directed as much at you as Nazgur, as it happens.

Nazgur
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Nazgur » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:55 pm

Cosumar wrote:
Nazgur wrote:yes
bathory
yes
thanks mate

Np :hug:

One Rode To Asa Bay is a fascinating account of the violent christianization of ancient Scandinavia, so I recommend that one. You could use pretty much anything from their Viking years though.

YOU THINK I DON'T KNOW AND WORSHIP BATHORY AND QUORTHON?
Stop the boats.

Bodobol
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 12, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Bodobol » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:55 pm

I always try to throw in metal and similar genres whenever possible in school projects. Last year I used Carach Angren, Sabaton, Katatonia, Bring Me The Horizon, Nhor and Born of Osiris on the same project.

Kar-Esseria wrote:

Thrash, Melodeath, and Traditional are a bit a stretch.

Power and Folk might be a stretch depending on who is singing it and what it's about.

But I'll give you Progressive.

Thrash and traditional maybe, but melodeath should be fine for the most part. Same for power and folk.
Last.fmRead my blogshe/her

Cosumar
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Cosumar » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:57 pm

Nazgur wrote:
Cosumar wrote:Np :hug:

YOU THINK I DON'T KNOW AND WORSHIP BATHORY AND QUORTHON?

All must know, worship and have a close personal relationship with the almighty Bathory. It is my duty to enlighten the entire thread.
World Bowl VP

NEWSWIRE
Political Compass
Dallas sports

PreviousNext