NATION

PASSWORD

WINTER 2015 SHORT STORY CONTEST

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:17 pm

Respubliko de Libereco wrote:
Forsher wrote:I guess that's true. But, for me, I don't really see a good solution as I'm cautious over increasing the bonus. How about this for a new rubric?

Code: Select all
[b]Characters:[/b] /15
[b]Plot:[/b] /15
[b]Setting:[/b] /15
[b]Creativity:[/b] /15
[b]Style[/b]: /25
[b]Grammar and Spelling:[/b] /5
[b]Bonus:[/b] /10

[b]Total:[/b] /100

With style referring more to tone, word choice and control of language, and the bonus the approach and how the story feels holistically?

It's pretty good, though I still feel like the "break it into bits and score them individual" mentality is less-than-ideal.

OK.

What are other people's thoughts about ditching the rubric and having a score out of 100 with comments to explain the reasoning?

I really do not like the multiplier idea, but I would be willing to try just having one score. My only concern would be the quality of the critique. For example, "67/100 it's OK, but not very original," doesn't tell you what worked and what didn't. I think the rubric does serve some purpose in forcing judges to think about different aspects of the story and consider why they liked it or not. But I'd be willing to try just having an overall score and see how it goes if people want to try it.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Respubliko de Libereco
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Respubliko de Libereco » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:24 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:I really do not like the multiplier idea, but I would be willing to try just having one score. My only concern would be the quality of the critique. For example, "67/100 it's OK, but not very original," doesn't tell you what worked and what didn't. I think the rubric does serve some purpose in forcing judges to think about different aspects of the story and consider why they liked it or not. But I'd be willing to try just having an overall score and see how it goes if people want to try it.

There could still be a rubric as a guideline, requiring the judges to comment on each aspect of the work even if the final score is determined holistically.

Now that I think about it, though, this introduces another problem regarding whether the judges agree on what different scores really mean - that is, whether 50 is average or below average, whether 86 is "pretty good" or "amazing," and so on. Of course, that's still somewhat present in the current rubric, but it would probably be magnified if the scores were given all at once.

In general, uniformly and quantitatively scoring works based on qualitative differences is tricky.
Last edited by Respubliko de Libereco on Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:36 am

Perhaps a poll. The multiplier doesn't appear as it hasn't fared well in the battlefield of ideas. I think I have all the other suggestions mentioned

Option 1) The Current

[b]Characters:[/b] /20
[b]Plot:[/b] /20
[b]Style[/b]: /20
[b]Bonus:[/b] /5

Option 2) Bonus Increased

[b]Bonus:[/b] /15

Option 3) Style Heavy

Option Four) Holistic Scoring with Rubric As Guide

[b]Characters:[/b]
[b]Plot:[/b]
[b]Setting:[/b]
[b]Creativity:[/b]
[b]Style[/b]:
[b]Grammar and Spelling:[/b]

Perhaps even have the poll in another thread, I am not sure... we need the broadest audience possible.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:03 am

Forsher wrote:Perhaps a poll. The multiplier doesn't appear as it hasn't fared well in the battlefield of ideas. I think I have all the other suggestions mentioned

Option 1) The Current

[b]Characters:[/b] /20
[b]Plot:[/b] /20
[b]Bonus:[/b] /5

Option 2) Bonus Increased

[b]Bonus:[/b] /15

Option 3) Style Heavy

Option Four) Holistic Scoring with Rubric As Guide

[b]Characters:[/b]
[b]Plot:[/b]
[b]Setting:[/b]
[b]Creativity:[/b]
[b]Style[/b]:
[b]Grammar and Spelling:[/b]

Perhaps even have the poll in another thread, I am not sure... we need the broadest audience possible.

I don't think we need a formal poll. I might be biased since I get to make the final decision if we don't do a poll, though.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Respubliko de Libereco
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Respubliko de Libereco » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:26 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:I don't think we need a formal poll. I might be biased since I get to make the final decision if we don't do a poll, though.

But if you make the wrong choice, people might be unhappy enough to create new, competing contests, and before you know it there'll be a Short Story Contest Contest, and we'll need to figure out a rubric for that as well.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:08 pm

Respubliko de Libereco wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:I don't think we need a formal poll. I might be biased since I get to make the final decision if we don't do a poll, though.

But if you make the wrong choice, people might be unhappy enough to create new, competing contests, and before you know it there'll be a Short Story Contest Contest, and we'll need to figure out a rubric for that as well.

Yes, that would be a problem.

I really think the current rubric works pretty well if we are going to have a rubric at all.

Vancon
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:33 pm

Battle of Rhodur, Janeris- The High Lords

Characters: 13/20
Not very fleshed out, predicable, but not that bad. Nothing to write home about, but nothing super bad about them either.
Plot: 13/20
It was ok. I haven't seen anything like this in a while, but even then it's been done before and done better. I did like the selflessness of the MC at the end though, that was nice.
Setting: 9/15
A bland old war flick set in some kind of alt earth in some random forest without any hit as too it's importance. Ehh.
Creativity: 7/15
It was a mixtape of generic ideas creating another generic idea. Apart from the little black, mysterious, box, there was nothing outstanding in my book.
Style: 17/20
Pretty good. Excellent sizing of the paragraphs, but there were a few mishaps here and there.
Grammar and Spelling: 4/5
Assorted small issues here and there.
Bonus: /5

Total: 63/100
A generic story, but a well assembled generic story.

The Fate of the Theresa Wilburne- Respubliko de Libereco

Characters: 16/20
Mr. MC felt very fleshed out, and there were very few asspulls in terms of the main character. He also felt very human, and in turn, very relatable.
Plot: 18/20
The plot was rather simple, but it was done very well. Especially the eeriness of the whole thing. Shivers went up and down my spine constantly.
Setting: 12/15
The last and only other stories I've seen with Alexandria in it are the one about the great lighthouse and the events surrounding it, and something from Asterix.
Creativity: 12/15
Excellent on the idea work, and on it's delivery. I've seen stories that kinda went the same way, but the unexpected happened; or rather, nothing happened. In a story like this, you expect bad things to happen. I was expecting zombies or something, what with the setting. But nope. It didn't happen.
Excellent formatting and no real problems with the paragraphs, save for them getting a little too big at times.
Very few problems, and some debatable things such as the use of double negatives.
Bonus: 1/5
For the eeriness.

Total: 80/100
Great work! I enjoyed reading this, and I look forward to your next work.

On that note, the Winter 2015 Short Story Contest has completed it's judging.
Mike the Progressive wrote:You know I don't say this often, but this guy... he gets it. Like everything. As in he gets life.

Imperializt Russia wrote:
The balkens wrote:Please tell me that condoms and Hazelnut spread are NOT on the same table.

Well what the fuck do you use for lube?

Krazakistan wrote:How have you not died after being exposed to that much shit on a monthly basis?
Rupudska wrote:I avoid NSG like one would avoid ISIS-occupied Syria.
Alimeria- wrote:I'll go to sleep when I want to, not when some cheese-eating surrender monkey tells me to.

Which just so happens to be within the next half-hour

Shyluz wrote:Van, Sci-fi Generallisimo

U18 2nd Cutest NS'er 2015
Best Role Play - Science Fiction 2015: Athena Program

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:14 am

Vancon wrote:Battle of Rhodur, Janeris- The High Lords

Characters: 13/20
Not very fleshed out, predicable, but not that bad. Nothing to write home about, but nothing super bad about them either.
Plot: 13/20
It was ok. I haven't seen anything like this in a while, but even then it's been done before and done better. I did like the selflessness of the MC at the end though, that was nice.
Setting: 9/15
A bland old war flick set in some kind of alt earth in some random forest without any hit as too it's importance. Ehh.
Creativity: 7/15
It was a mixtape of generic ideas creating another generic idea. Apart from the little black, mysterious, box, there was nothing outstanding in my book.
Pretty good. Excellent sizing of the paragraphs, but there were a few mishaps here and there.
Assorted small issues here and there.
Bonus: /5

Total: 63/100
A generic story, but a well assembled generic story.

The Fate of the Theresa Wilburne- Respubliko de Libereco

Characters: 16/20
Mr. MC felt very fleshed out, and there were very few asspulls in terms of the main character. He also felt very human, and in turn, very relatable.
Plot: 18/20
The plot was rather simple, but it was done very well. Especially the eeriness of the whole thing. Shivers went up and down my spine constantly.
Setting: 12/15
The last and only other stories I've seen with Alexandria in it are the one about the great lighthouse and the events surrounding it, and something from Asterix.
Creativity: 12/15
Excellent on the idea work, and on it's delivery. I've seen stories that kinda went the same way, but the unexpected happened; or rather, nothing happened. In a story like this, you expect bad things to happen. I was expecting zombies or something, what with the setting. But nope. It didn't happen.
Excellent formatting and no real problems with the paragraphs, save for them getting a little too big at times.
Very few problems, and some debatable things such as the use of double negatives.
Bonus: 1/5
For the eeriness.

Total: 80/100
Great work! I enjoyed reading this, and I look forward to your next work.

On that note, the Winter 2015 Short Story Contest has completed it's judging.

Yay! Lemme go tally scores.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:24 am

Congratulations Respubliko de Libereco!

Thank you everyone who participated.

I need to go put my laundry in the dryer and figure out what's happening as far as scoring, but should have the next round ready to launch either tonight or tomorrow. I do want to try just having an overall score and a guideline for critiquing. If it isn't a success, we can always bring back the rubric.

EDIT: New thread is up.

http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=344486
Last edited by Nazi Flower Power on Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:20 am

Awww man, second again? Oh well.
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

The High Lords
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The High Lords » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:37 am

It's kind of interesting how the setting is described as set in a random forest or a woodsy landscape and all - but I thought the first part, in the very beginning, was set to be in a no-mans-land... Wonder who caught onto that...?

But yeah, writing a short story in a world that otherwise has no history may not have been the best idea XD
----------------
---------------
----------------
Learning Swedish now!
I want to learn:
Italian
Irish
Scots
Being politically correct is so 2010
#Bernie

Rhinumehr
Attaché

Founded: Nov 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhinumehr » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:25 am

I think the current rubric or the one with extra bonus points would be best.
Random box.
Rhin Language

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:32 am

Thanks for all your work, judges!
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Vancon
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:41 am

Conserative Morality wrote:Thanks for all your work, judges!

I think I learned my lesson.
Mike the Progressive wrote:You know I don't say this often, but this guy... he gets it. Like everything. As in he gets life.

Imperializt Russia wrote:
The balkens wrote:Please tell me that condoms and Hazelnut spread are NOT on the same table.

Well what the fuck do you use for lube?

Krazakistan wrote:How have you not died after being exposed to that much shit on a monthly basis?
Rupudska wrote:I avoid NSG like one would avoid ISIS-occupied Syria.
Alimeria- wrote:I'll go to sleep when I want to, not when some cheese-eating surrender monkey tells me to.

Which just so happens to be within the next half-hour

Shyluz wrote:Van, Sci-fi Generallisimo

U18 2nd Cutest NS'er 2015
Best Role Play - Science Fiction 2015: Athena Program

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:23 am

Rhinumehr wrote:I think the current rubric or the one with extra bonus points would be best.

I decided to try not having separate scores for the different categories, but it's an experiment and if it doesn't work then we can always go back to the current rubric.

Hopefully the OP for the new thread isn't too clunky. It was late when I put it up, and it does take more thought to put together when there are changes from the previous contest, but I wanted to go ahead and get it started ASAP.

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:56 am

Vancon wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:Thanks for all your work, judges!

I think I learned my lesson.

Don't beat yourself up, Vancon. Sometimes things happen and we don't have the time we expected to have. It's frustrating for us as contestants but it's not necessarily your fault.

I'd personally have preferred to keep the existing rubric, but I guess it's worth trying a different take. I just hope it doesn't lead to judges simply awarding points to stories they like rather than stories which are well-written and interesting.
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Shaggai
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shaggai » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:14 pm

Honestly, I did a lot better than I expected.
piss

Respubliko de Libereco
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Respubliko de Libereco » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:38 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:Congratulations Respubliko de Libereco!

Yay!
Plus, I think I learned a lesson about entering at the last minute, so you could say I won in more ways than one.
Last edited by Respubliko de Libereco on Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:31 pm

Old Tyrannia wrote:
Vancon wrote:I think I learned my lesson.

Don't beat yourself up, Vancon. Sometimes things happen and we don't have the time we expected to have. It's frustrating for us as contestants but it's not necessarily your fault.

I'd personally have preferred to keep the existing rubric, but I guess it's worth trying a different take. I just hope it doesn't lead to judges simply awarding points to stories they like rather than stories which are well-written and interesting.

That is a concern I had too, but I thought it was still worth a try. Having multiple judges should prevent it from being too big of an issue.

Peterrobinson
Civilian

Founded: May 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Peterrobinson » Sat May 07, 2016 2:03 am

I will try to get the next one stickied to make it easier to find, but I am not sure if the mods will do it or not.
Last edited by Peterrobinson on Sat May 07, 2016 2:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Sat May 07, 2016 9:29 am

I feel awful for not being able to finish judging for these stories...I got busy, and life happened...

But since now it's summer, if I am needed I will absolutely be available! :)
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction