NATION

PASSWORD

Which Anime are you watching or have watched recently III?

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Mad hatters in jeans
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Mad hatters in jeans » Sat May 23, 2015 11:35 am

Equalsun Empire wrote:No... Nonono, I just finished Code Geass, and my mind is completely screwed. Like, completely and utterly. Well, so is my heart, but that's pretty well related. Wow... 10/10, would watch again once I forget how it goes. Anyone who's watched it, you know how I feel, and anyone who hasn't, get your butt over to the nearest anime streaming site and look it up. You won't regret it.

I can feel the judgement coming from everywhere, but I don't even care, it's 3AM

*judgement intensifies*

Nah it's one of the few hyped anime's that probably deserves the hype. Great fun to watch.

Marshmellowstan wrote:Am I one of the only people that sees Code Geass as overwhelmingly silly? Those stairs at the end didn't help...

It can be pretty daft.
I mean...the cat episode. jeez. :p

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sat May 23, 2015 1:59 pm

Nagi no Asukara

The love hexagon is honestly hilarious.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012

Postby New haven america » Sat May 23, 2015 2:10 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:But did you enjoy The Bitch? You know who I'm talking about. Screechy voice, orange hair, first-world problems incarnate...

Sounds like Princess Morebucks from Powerpuff Girls (not an anime, obviously, but everyone knows THAT was a GOOD show...) :lol:

Obviously some people won't agree with me, but Kill la Kill is probably the worst I've seen.
Or NGE. Again, I've looked over it over and over again, reading about all the psychological stuff that goes into it, and I STILL don't understand
it...

Depressed director threw random ideas into a show to see if they'd stick
Last edited by New haven america on Sat May 23, 2015 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Sat May 23, 2015 3:33 pm

Las Palmeras wrote:
Luminesa wrote:
Sounds like Princess Morebucks from Powerpuff Girls (not an anime, obviously, but everyone knows THAT was a GOOD show...) :lol:

Obviously some people won't agree with me, but Kill la Kill is probably the worst I've seen.
Or NGE. Again, I've looked over it over and over again, reading about all the psychological stuff that goes into it, and I STILL don't understand
it...

Producer got really disillusioned with the otaku lifestyle. Got drunk and suicidal. And added pretty colors and rehashed used sequences due to budget issues which ironically saved Gainax for a few more years...best to watch when deprived of sleep. Which is probably how Anno came up with the narrative style in the second half of the series. You, Ameriganastan, and NHA dislike it with a passion.
*On a curious note, after complaints to get more mainstream story-lines and fanservice, Hideaki Anno got pissed and made it as unappealing as possible. It backfired. But Anno has ridden on the shadow of Eva ever since.

Before I would have tried to argue but I really have to question my tastes now...I actually enjoyed Shoujo Tsubaki.

Marshmellowstan wrote:Am I one of the only people that sees Code Geass as overwhelmingly silly? Those stairs at the end didn't help...

I've never seen it, so don't worry about it. (Yes, I know people on here are gonna freak, probably.)

So, here's my thing with NGE in a nutshell:

1.) I don't mind a show that tries to use Christian-Judeo imagery, themes, and plot devices. In fact, I welcome it-it makes for a much more interesting show, with a lot more depth. However, NGE messed this up royally. Like you said, they threw stuff in and tried to see if it would work. The key was to make it blend in. Blending in these complex elements smoothly is what separates writers like C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkein from your run-of-the-mill fanfiction writer.

2.) The relationships in the show were so stunted it was painful. If everyone wasn't busy yelling at each other, they were giving each other the silent treatment or crying about EVERYTHING in the bedroom, in the shower, in the etc. Yes, people do struggle in relationships quite often, due to terrible life experiences and whatnot. But I had the same problem here as I did with "Frozen"-the relationships were depicted as growing and developing into something good, when really they were always stuck in the winter stage.

3.) Most of the characters themselves were generally unlikeable, and the ones that had the potential to be likeable (Rei, Kaoru, Misato) ended-up being either villains or so badly wounded in some way that they could hardly function (or died, in Toji's case.)

4.) As far as the main characters: Shinji was labeled as "adorkable" on TvTropes, but in order to be "adorkable", the character has to be somewhat endearing. There was nothing endearing about Shinji-if he wasn't so selfishly throwing a pity-party and ignoring the people around him, he was in berserk mode (not always a bad thing when fighting giant aliens), and there was really nothing sweet or warm in-between.

5.) Asuka = Princess Morebucks as a teenager. Of course, there's the fact that she lost her mother in such a horrific way, at such a young age, but
there was really no excuse for a lot of the behavior she committed. Of course, I do feel sorry for her, especially when she was mind-raped and consequentially shut down, but her personality was a huge turn-off.

6.) Rei was...I mean...just when we think we're gonna get a good, shy, sweet character, she turns into a monster and absorbs the world into herself. I'm watching this like, "...What...the flip..."

7.) Overall, it really was like a badly-stitched voodoo doll. Fanservice would only make it worse...like putting more high-fructose corn syrup on a pile of high-fructose corn syrup, then stirring in mayonnaise, adding a hint of vinegar, and having someone drink it. :mad:
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sat May 23, 2015 3:46 pm

Every season of DxD, they come up with a scene that makes me laugh so much, I have to pause the episode. No different this season.
Mind reading...but on boobs. And calling it Booblingual.
Frigging love that show.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Sat May 23, 2015 3:55 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Luminesa wrote:

Dude, you're a genius! Can't believe I never noticed the similarity.

Lol, thank you! I heard the description, and I was like, "Now that there sounds just like..." :lol:
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
-Alan Jackson

Dei Terrare
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dei Terrare » Sat May 23, 2015 3:56 pm

Sgt.Frog?
KERO KERO KERO
NATIONSTATE'S BEST ECONOMY
I'm alone, I'm a Proud Therevadan Buddhist
Libertarian Capitalist
Gooner For LIFE!
IATA Member
The Lendol Archipelago wrote:That's just gloating, you're Gif Prince at best.

DesAnges wrote:
Dei Terrare wrote:The Yellow for Waffles
The Black for Chocolate
and The Red for your blood all over Belgium's kit if you mess with E.Hazard

That's the daftest thing I think I've ever read concerning football and I've seen people claim Roy Hodgson is a better manager than Rafa Benitez.

IC FLAG
Feel free to give me bitcoins, ADDRESS: 345NnJFfJkNZ8gTdHugkA5Bbww35AZ4e73

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Sat May 23, 2015 3:58 pm

Dei Terrare wrote:Sgt.Frog?
KERO KERO KERO

I have never seen that show. Is it any good?
-Alan Jackson

Dei Terrare
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dei Terrare » Sat May 23, 2015 4:28 pm

Luminesa wrote:
KERO KERO KERO

Oh hell yeah, it has a lot of pop culture references.
NATIONSTATE'S BEST ECONOMY
I'm alone, I'm a Proud Therevadan Buddhist
Libertarian Capitalist
Gooner For LIFE!
IATA Member
The Lendol Archipelago wrote:That's just gloating, you're Gif Prince at best.

DesAnges wrote:
Dei Terrare wrote:The Yellow for Waffles
The Black for Chocolate
and The Red for your blood all over Belgium's kit if you mess with E.Hazard

That's the daftest thing I think I've ever read concerning football and I've seen people claim Roy Hodgson is a better manager than Rafa Benitez.

IC FLAG
Feel free to give me bitcoins, ADDRESS: 345NnJFfJkNZ8gTdHugkA5Bbww35AZ4e73

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Sat May 23, 2015 4:33 pm

Dei Terrare wrote:
Luminesa wrote:

Oh hell yeah, it has a lot of pop culture references.

Is it on Crunchyroll?
-Alan Jackson

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sat May 23, 2015 4:58 pm

KERO KERO KERO

WHERE ARE YOU WATCHING IT!? IS IT THE SUB!?

...Ahem. Sorry. Haven't seen that show in a while, and no one out there will sub anymore...
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Fire the Ameri.

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Toastinia
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Toastinia » Sat May 23, 2015 5:02 pm

I just finished watching black bullet, and now I feel very confused.

The antagonist was great though, trouble being that I agreed with him.
We are not made of toast, some of our people mereley worship the stuff.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Sat May 23, 2015 5:41 pm

Toastinia wrote:I just finished watching black bullet, and now I feel very confused.

The antagonist was great though, trouble being that I agreed with him.

What did you agree with?
-Alan Jackson

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Sat May 23, 2015 5:54 pm

Krazakistan wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:While I'm certain you're all watching at least decent anime, I wanted to ask: what's the WORST anime you've ever seen?

I've seen so many it's hard to keep track of them...

My latest bad one is Di Gi Charat.

Oh my fucking God... Can I strangle ALL of the little girls-NYO? PLEASE?

Sword Art Online is the worst one I've seen.

Really? What's so bad about it? I mean, I've heard mixed reviews, so I'm just curious.

Tried the first episode of Bakemonogatari today...hmmm...

Pros: Animation is awesome, love the character designs, the girl with the glasses is adorable.
Cons: The stapler scene made me cringe, some of the angle shots (of people's mouths) made me uncomfortable, and it really was all talking.

Hmmm...Imma try Fate/Zero. Really, I'm just browsing animes, at the moment. Since I haven't done so since Naruto ended.

Full Metal Alchemist is, again, also on my list.
-Alan Jackson

Bearon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bearon » Sat May 23, 2015 6:46 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Krazakistan wrote:Sword Art Online is the worst one I've seen.

Really? What's so bad about it? I mean, I've heard mixed reviews, so I'm just curious.

Tried the first episode of Bakemonogatari today...hmmm...

Pros: Animation is awesome, love the character designs, the girl with the glasses is adorable.
Cons: The stapler scene made me cringe, some of the angle shots (of people's mouths) made me uncomfortable, and it really was all talking.

Hmmm...Imma try Fate/Zero. Really, I'm just browsing animes, at the moment. Since I haven't done so since Naruto ended.

Full Metal Alchemist is, again, also on my list.

Most people just hate on SAO because it's popular but the most valid complaint is underdeveloped characters. That being said it's still entertaining and in my opinion a good watch.
Nothing to see here. Move along.

Krazakistan
Negotiator

Founded: May 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Krazakistan » Sat May 23, 2015 7:35 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Krazakistan wrote:Sword Art Online is the worst one I've seen.

Just watch this. He can tell you why better than I can.
Secularism, restricted immigration policy, against affirmative action, voter ID laws, gun rights, democracy, free-market capitalism, egalitarianism, nationalism, and lastly, Rhodesia > Zimbabwe

Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: 6.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.56
"On the other hand, and let's face it, there's always another hand, unless you're a Saudi Arabian shoplifter of course, hurt feelings can be quite traumatic. I've heard that it can take seconds, sometimes even minutes, to get over it" ~ Pat Condell

"Communism works only in heaven, where they don't need it, and in hell, where they've already got it." ~ Ronald Reagan

"Communism was a mistake" ~ (((((((((Karl Marx)))))))))
CANT STUMP THE TRUMP

Las Palmeras
Minister

Founded: Jun 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Las Palmeras » Sun May 24, 2015 8:21 am

Luminesa wrote:
2.) The relationships in the show were so stunted it was painful. If everyone wasn't busy yelling at each other, they were giving each other the silent treatment or crying about EVERYTHING in the bedroom, in the shower, in the etc. Yes, people do struggle in relationships quite often, due to terrible life experiences and whatnot. But I had the same problem here as I did with "Frozen"-the relationships were depicted as growing and developing into something good, when really they were always stuck in the winter stage.

3.) Most of the characters themselves were generally unlikeable, and the ones that had the potential to be likeable (Rei, Kaoru, Misato) ended-up being either villains or so badly wounded in some way that they could hardly function (or died, in Toji's case.)

4.) As far as the main characters: Shinji was labeled as "adorkable" on TvTropes, but in order to be "adorkable", the character has to be somewhat endearing. There was nothing endearing about Shinji-if he wasn't so selfishly throwing a pity-party and ignoring the people around him, he was in berserk mode (not always a bad thing when fighting giant aliens), and there was really nothing sweet or warm in-between.

Anno would have been overjoyed in the 1990s to find viewers like you, your reactions were his goal more or less. He did try to exasperate the audience and did actually mention why people liked the show if everybody was sick. But Shinji was either treated too lightly in Japan or totally vilified in the West from what I read. And Rei ended up being the staple for "kuudere"; a real backfire.
Hey hey, LP here: Too burnt out with this nation to make new lore or fix macrohistorical longue durée alt-his inconsistencies, too clingy to let it die.
UPHOLD SOUTH REINISM-LENINISM! UNLIMITED DESTRUCTION OF 1ST WORLD HETERRHOIDS!

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008

Postby The Rich Port » Sun May 24, 2015 2:46 pm

Las Palmeras wrote:
Luminesa wrote:

Anno would have been overjoyed in the 1990s to find viewers like you, your reactions were his goal more or less. He did try to exasperate the audience and did actually mention why people liked the show if everybody was sick. But Shinji was either treated too lightly in Japan or totally vilified in the West from what I read. And Rei ended up being the staple for "kuudere"; a real backfire.

Honestly, it figures NGE was a troll anime.

Another reason I love it. :lol:

Another bad anime, on Netflix, is Sekirei.

What a fucking cock tease/non-cock tease of a show.

It started off with flashing titties in my face on the first episode and now it's just going on and on about this absolutely ridiculous plot about weird robot whatever and terrorism I couldn't care less about.

JUST SHOW ME MORE TITS YOU FUCKING OTAKU WHORES.

... It's alright... At least Netflix was kind enough to put the new Ghost in the Shell series on Netflix.

They're all independent films called ARISE. They're all prequels too. So goddamn good and fun. You guys should watch it when you can.
Last edited by The Rich Port on Sun May 24, 2015 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Bearon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Bearon » Sun May 24, 2015 3:11 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Las Palmeras wrote:

It started off with flashing titties in my face on the first episode and now it's just going on and on about this absolutely ridiculous plot about weird robot whatever and terrorism I couldn't care less about.

... It's alright... At least Netflix was kind enough to put the new Ghost in the Shell series on Netflix.

They're all independent films called ARISE. They're all prequels too. So goddamn good and fun. You guys should watch it when you can.

I saw that but I was a little hesitant about watching them because a bunch of reviewers have said Ghost in the Shell: Arise is terrible.
Last edited by Bearon on Sun May 24, 2015 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Sun May 24, 2015 3:31 pm

I thought that was par for course for anime. Even the most serious ones tend to have the odd silly episode. Code Geass could get very silly, of course, but I loved it all the same.

I've never been able to warm to shows that took themselves too seriously. Humour is a must in any programme, no matter the genre or medium.
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Sun May 24, 2015 3:53 pm

Bearon wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

I saw that but I was a little hesitant about watching that because a bunch of reviewers have said Ghost in the Shell: Arise is terrible.

Ahem...

I've been a lifelong GITS fan and I thought they were great.

I actually found the plots of them far more coherent than anything having to do with Stand Alone Complex.

They're also far more in the spirit of the original manga. Motoko is actually the playful, digitally sexual cyborg hacker she's supposed to be according to the manga as opposed to the stoic, gigantic amazon warrior she is in the rest of the series
Last edited by The Rich Port on Sun May 24, 2015 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Bearon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Bearon » Sun May 24, 2015 4:42 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Bearon wrote:
I saw that but I was a little hesitant about watching that because a bunch of reviewers have said Ghost in the Shell: Arise is terrible.

Ahem...

I actually found the plots of them far more coherent than anything having to do with Stand Alone Complex.

They're also far more in the spirit of the original manga. Motoko is actually the playful, digitally sexual cyborg hacker she's supposed to be according to the manga as opposed to the stoic, gigantic amazon warrior she is in the rest of the series

I see. Well I should probably watch the original before trying any of its offshoots.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Sun May 24, 2015 4:45 pm

Bearon wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:
Ahem...

I see. Well I should probably watch the original before trying any of its offshoots.

Honestly, it would be fine if you watched ARISE first and then the rest of the franchise.

ARISE, again, really nails the tone, the setting, the atmosphere of the other animation works.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Krazakistan
Negotiator

Founded: May 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Krazakistan » Sun May 24, 2015 4:45 pm

Okay, I just finished Gurren Lagann and holy shit. The second half was fucking great and that ending! God damn, one of the best ways to finish off a series, just holy fuck balls nigga. Damn.
Secularism, restricted immigration policy, against affirmative action, voter ID laws, gun rights, democracy, free-market capitalism, egalitarianism, nationalism, and lastly, Rhodesia > Zimbabwe

Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: 6.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.56
"On the other hand, and let's face it, there's always another hand, unless you're a Saudi Arabian shoplifter of course, hurt feelings can be quite traumatic. I've heard that it can take seconds, sometimes even minutes, to get over it" ~ Pat Condell

"Communism works only in heaven, where they don't need it, and in hell, where they've already got it." ~ Ronald Reagan

"Communism was a mistake" ~ (((((((((Karl Marx)))))))))
CANT STUMP THE TRUMP

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sun May 24, 2015 4:52 pm

Krazakistan wrote:Okay, I just finished Gurren Lagann and holy shit. The second half was fucking great and that ending! God damn, one of the best ways to finish off a series, just holy fuck balls nigga. Damn.

Yup.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction