NATION

PASSWORD

FALL 2014 SHORT STORY CONTEST

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Vancon
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:17 pm

Thanatttynia wrote:
Vancon wrote:But then the judges will know, thus making the whole concept void.

After the voting's over?

Sure, but there will always be that one asshole who says that it's them, but not really.
Mike the Progressive wrote:You know I don't say this often, but this guy... he gets it. Like everything. As in he gets life.

Imperializt Russia wrote:
The balkens wrote:Please tell me that condoms and Hazelnut spread are NOT on the same table.

Well what the fuck do you use for lube?

Krazakistan wrote:How have you not died after being exposed to that much shit on a monthly basis?
Rupudska wrote:I avoid NSG like one would avoid ISIS-occupied Syria.
Alimeria- wrote:I'll go to sleep when I want to, not when some cheese-eating surrender monkey tells me to.

Which just so happens to be within the next half-hour

Shyluz wrote:Van, Sci-fi Generallisimo

U18 2nd Cutest NS'er 2015
Best Role Play - Science Fiction 2015: Athena Program

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:22 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:Could judge or enter. Whichever is lacking.

It's up to you. Do you want me to add you as a judge or hold off in case you decide you'd rather enter a story?
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

The Armed Republic of Dutch Coolness
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Armed Republic of Dutch Coolness » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:23 pm

I might enter.
P2TM Mentor
TG me!
Discord available on request as well
Or join the Mentor Discord server!

Such a cool time I select, looking out my window, and that's that

The worlding of the words is AMARANTH.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:24 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:Could judge or enter. Whichever is lacking.

It's up to you. Do you want me to add you as a judge or hold off in case you decide you'd rather enter a story?

Hold off, I suppose. It's been a while since I entered a story.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:28 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:

Hold off, I suppose. It's been a while since I entered a story.

OK. If you come up with a story, that's always welcome.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:38 pm

Norstal wrote:I'll be a judge this time around.

Any reasons why I can't be judge now?
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:39 pm

Norstal wrote:
Norstal wrote:I'll be a judge this time around.

Any reasons why I can't be judge now?

I'll add you.

The Nation of Ceneria
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nation of Ceneria » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:41 pm

Entering. Consider this a tag.

Shaggai
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shaggai » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:42 pm

Alright, this time I know for a fact that I haven't previously posted excerpts of my story. So hopefully I'll be able to get an entry in.
piss

The Nation of Ceneria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nation of Ceneria » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:01 pm

Oh, and if I can't conjure something up, I'd love to judge.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:09 pm

The Nation of Ceneria wrote:Oh, and if I can't conjure something up, I'd love to judge.

If you're planning on entering, I'll hold off adding you as a judge for now, same as CM.

The Nation of Ceneria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nation of Ceneria » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:10 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
The Nation of Ceneria wrote:Oh, and if I can't conjure something up, I'd love to judge.

If you're planning on entering, I'll hold off adding you as a judge for now, same as CM.

Great. I am going to use one of my unfinished story ideas. Is the cap of 6,000 words immobile?

Furry Alairia and Algeria
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Furry Alairia and Algeria » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:11 pm

I've already got the idea of my own in question. I'm limiting it to three numbers of genres. I'm wondering if the 6,000 word limit is a no-exceptions.
In memory of Dyakovo - may he never be forgotten - Дьяковожс ученик

I do not reply to telegrams, unless you are someone I know.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:12 pm

The Nation of Ceneria wrote:Is the cap of 6,000 words immobile?

Yes. Stories longer than that are too time-consuming for the judges.

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Furry Alairia and Algeria » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:14 pm

So how about if it doesn't go that far of 6,000. Like 6,0xx?

The Nation of Ceneria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nation of Ceneria » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:14 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
The Nation of Ceneria wrote:Is the cap of 6,000 words immobile?

*insert frowny face here*
Alright then. I might have to trim some large portions of the story as it already covers the front and backs of four pages, in my tiny handwriting. That's probably about 5,000 words, and it's only half done.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:17 pm

The Nation of Ceneria wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:

*insert frowny face here*
Alright then. I might have to trim some large portions of the story as it already covers the front and backs of four pages, in my tiny handwriting. That's probably about 5,000 words, and it's only half done.

4 pages typed double spaced is about 1000 words, so you'd need to have really tiny handwriting to get 5000 words on 4 pages, even if you are writing the front and back.

The Nation of Ceneria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nation of Ceneria » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:21 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
The Nation of Ceneria wrote:*insert frowny face here*

4 pages typed double spaced is about 1000 words, so you'd need to have really tiny handwriting to get 5000 words on 4 pages, even if you are writing the front and back.

It is really tiny. 33 lines per side, around 18 words per line. That's nearly 5000. As I said, tiny. So, I hopefully won't be too far over the limit.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:33 pm

Furry Alairia and Algeria wrote:So how about if it doesn't go that far of 6,000. Like 6,0xx?

Different word count tools sometimes come up with different numbers. I am not sure where the variation comes from, if some count hyphenated words as one word and others count them as two or what. If I am settling an issue related to word count and one word processor says it's over, but another says it's under, we'll go with the lower one. If it still goes over 6000, then you need to cut something.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:40 pm

The Nation of Ceneria wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:

It is really tiny. 33 lines per side, around 18 words per line. That's nearly 5000. As I said, tiny. So, I hopefully won't be too far over the limit.

I know how that is -- not the part about tiny handwriting, but the part about having a story that doesn't want to fit in the length that you are trying to fit it in. I had a story I started a couple years ago with the idea of entering it in one of these contests, but I realized there was no way it was going to be less than 10,000 words, and this was back when were still using a 5000 word maximum.

Vancon
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:42 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
Furry Alairia and Algeria wrote:So how about if it doesn't go that far of 6,000. Like 6,0xx?

Different word count tools sometimes come up with different numbers. I am not sure where the variation comes from, if some count hyphenated words as one word and others count them as two or what. If I am settling an issue related to word count and one word processor says it's over, but another says it's under, we'll go with the lower one. If it still goes over 6000, then you need to cut something.

A story doesn't need to be long to be good.

Also, NFP, are you planning on entering?
Mike the Progressive wrote:You know I don't say this often, but this guy... he gets it. Like everything. As in he gets life.

Imperializt Russia wrote:
The balkens wrote:Please tell me that condoms and Hazelnut spread are NOT on the same table.

Well what the fuck do you use for lube?

Krazakistan wrote:How have you not died after being exposed to that much shit on a monthly basis?
Rupudska wrote:I avoid NSG like one would avoid ISIS-occupied Syria.
Alimeria- wrote:I'll go to sleep when I want to, not when some cheese-eating surrender monkey tells me to.

Which just so happens to be within the next half-hour

Shyluz wrote:Van, Sci-fi Generallisimo

U18 2nd Cutest NS'er 2015
Best Role Play - Science Fiction 2015: Athena Program

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:45 pm

Vancon wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:

A story doesn't need to be long to be good.

Also, NFP, are you planning on entering?

I probably will.

The New World Oceania
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New World Oceania » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:13 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:

If it's over 5,000 you really ought to think about cutting something. Longer short stories have their place, but I've never considered most A&F readers to have extensive attention spans.

Also, to the judges, you have no idea what you're getting yourself into and I wish you the best of luck. I graded a quarter last contest and posted one before collapsing into a fetal position of summer camp and summer homework.
Woman-made-woman.
Formerly Not a Bang but a Whimper.
Mario Cerce, Member of the Red - Green Alliance, Fighting for your Fernão!
Elizia
Joyce Wu, Eternal President of Elizia
Wen Lin, Governor of Jinyu
Ahmed Alef, Member for South Hutnegeri
Dagmar
Elise Marlowe, Member for Varland
Calaverde
Alsafyr Njil, Minister of Justice
Vienna Eliot et. al, Poets
Dick Njil, Journalist
Assad Hazouri, Mayor of Masalbhumi
Baltonia
Clint Webb, Member of the Seima
Ment-Al Li, United Nations Agent
Aurentina
Clint Webb, Senator

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Furry Alairia and Algeria » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:17 pm

Oh, and a question about context. This doesn't concern my story, but for obvious reasons, how about stories that have cursing or situations that are over PG-13?
The story might have just a tiny bit of cursing.
Last edited by Furry Alairia and Algeria on Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:20 pm

The New World Oceania wrote:
Also, to the judges, you have no idea what you're getting yourself into and I wish you the best of luck. I graded a quarter last contest and posted one before collapsing into a fetal position of summer camp and summer homework.

I know how you feel. That is why I am not going to ever volunteer to judge again.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction