NATION

PASSWORD

ASoIAF/Game of Thrones general Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Thoughts on HOTD Episode Ten: "The Black Queen"

5 Stars
67%
4 Stars
8%
3 Stars
No votes
2 Stars
No votes
1 Star
17%
Not seen it yet
8%

Total votes : 12

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon May 13, 2019 1:02 am

Wait... WHAT????

What did I just see?

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon May 13, 2019 1:24 am

It could have been worse. I'll just say that it could have been worse.

Varys dies instantly? Okay, well at least there's a decent amount of emotional effect. I very legitimately felt bad when he was killed. He died for the good of the realm, he could have played it better but at least (I think it was IMPLIED?) that he tried to poison Danny. So... I guess that was that.

RIP Varys, I feel very sad for you.

Tyrion, you played this out very poorly. Although I can't still figure out WHY Varys had to tell Tyrion last episode that he was going to betray Danny. I mean... that was kind of out of character dumb but okay I guess?

AAAARGH Tyrion, I'm so mad at you. Why did you tell on Varys? This isn't 7th grade. The whole Realm is at stake for F's sake...

They could have showed him burning more (I'm surprised they avoided this, it seems like the sort of exploitation D and D like) to get more emotional impact, 7/10 with how Varys' story was handled.

My main complaint with the final fight was (well, you probably guessed it):

The GC and the Iron Fleet just got obliterated without really fighting? Why didn't the Lannister soldiers fight to the end (they just dropped their swords)? That's very disappointing. VERY DISSAPPOINTING.

COME ON D AND D... Even the freaking BOLTONS got a better final boss fight then this. I'd be less upset if you pulled the whole, Tullies/northern reinforcements showed up at the 11th hour schtick again.

But really? The Lannisters just dropping their swords without fighting????

Even Hitler and Hussein's soldiers had better fighting morale and discipline than this. What happened to "the army my father (Tywin) build?"

FIGHT THE FOREIGN INVADERS! DO IT! ... COME NOW!

:(

I had a few full Heineken at this point but I decided that since the episode was going in this direction (OUCH... Strickland?????) I was going to need to triple the amount.

So take a grain of salt with the rest of this review because I was literally watching the rest of this spectacle with a record number of beers.

Euron, WHY WHY WHY WHY would you fight Jaime? It makes no sense.

You're on the same bloody side. Did you not hear Jaime when he said he was going to save the Queen? Why are you attacking him? Why did you throw your life away like this?

And how did you lose to someone with one hand?

Why couldn't he just have died in the sea battle? What's the point of the Jaime vs Euron thing?

Someone explain to me why he said: "I'm the one who killed you."

That's like me playing League, feeding, losing the game, and then said "A HAHAHAHA I CARRIED!"

Makes no sense.

I am very very glad that Cersei did not attempt to blow up the city with Wildfire or that Jaime kills her (because let's be honest, that would have been a bit disrespectful to the characters).

Despite the events breaking out around, I liked how the story was written so that Cersei remained true to her character. Until the very end, convincing herself that the Iron Fleet, Lannister Army, or something else would save her cause.

I grew very very sad when Jaime and Cersei made it to the escape route only to find it blocked. I realised it was the end and I was very very sad when they both died.

Jaime could have died peacefully, a redeemed hero in the North but he chose to die with his sister and be there; he was truly a tragic hero and I think that's a reasonable way to end his story.

I like how Cersei's story ended as well. She remained true to who she was.

Also, is it me or does she echo the Witch Queen/Mafia Queen's most famous line at the end (not sure if I heard right because I had too much to drink):

"I DON'T WANT TO DIE! I DON'T WANT TO DIE!" I thought I heard that.

It's how I would have written it too, to remind the audience of the humanity of the antagonist.

When I saw this, I was relieved that the story ended "beautifully" for them, in each other's arms, as opposed to some speculations that one might kill the other and then commit suicide. I think I approve of D and D's writing of this part, if it had to end in Lannister defeat.

It might just be the alcohol or I might be a bit cracked at this point but I actually laughed out loud when Danny decided to suddenly go:

"LET'S KILL EVERYONE!"

There was literally no reason for that %$%^&$*^&^. The battle had been won (she heard the bells). Plus she was in range of the Red Keep and could have jut gone for Cersei but instead she decided to rage it out on the people??????

Was this unintentional comedy?

Does it make me kind of evil that I'm laughing while holding a beer in my hand when this played out?

LIKE WHY?????

I like how Greyworm (Obama vibes?) said "Okay, Queen's gone Kill Bot Mode so I will too" and then attacks the Lannister troops. Hey they fought quite well despite starting the fight with their swords on the ground since they had dropped em.

GOOD JOB GREY WORM! You're a good lapdog.

Jon Snow (I really like him from this season)'s response was hilarious.

He's starting to grow on me. First there's the hilarious moment in Ep 4 where he INSISTED on telling Sansa about his true heritage despite Danny begging him not to ("Don't worry... She won't tell anyone..." Danny: DON'T ... Jon: "I MUST TELL THEM!") and now this ^&*^&*^.

Jon cries: "STOP THIS BS!"

(runs around trying to stop his own team of murderers and rapers... sometimes kills a Lannister or two)

Jon: "GUYS STOP THIS NONSENSE!"

(kills a few Lannisters himself... pulls a men or two back)

It was hilarious.

Absolute 11/10 comedy moment

Also... is anyone getting a Call of Duty vibe from this episode? It might just be the camera angles but I feel like Arya is now solidly established as a video game character.

Her escape from KL can be the next level after he escape through the zombies back in Winterfell from Ep 4.

That's all for now... I need to take a break before work starts again tomorrow

Overall...

I don't know

7/10?

British Tackeettlaus
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby British Tackeettlaus » Mon May 13, 2019 1:25 am

I kind of side with the minority in this. I actually really liked Dany finally snapping. I know loads of people love her and want her to be a good guy, but she has always been utterly ruthless and manipulative from season 1, and her sadism has increased throughout the show. She said from day 1 she would do whatever it takes to be queen of the 7 kingdoms, and she has harboured rage inside her. I think it was a completely natural arc, and I liked seeing her finally become her father's daughter, and was still genuinely shocked despite expecting it.

I will agree though the writing has been subpar compared to previous seasons and I would of liked it done differently. I didn't need to see what felt like an hour of buildings getting wrecked and civilians being crushed and burned to death.

My main beef though is with cersie and Jaime's deaths, really underwhelming. Cersie was arguable that character who moved the plot along the most in the show, and a great villain. The character deserved a better sendoff than that totally lame death, I hope she somehow claws her way out of the ruins of the red keep so she can get a proper ending.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon May 13, 2019 1:30 am

British Tackeettlaus wrote:
I kind of side with the minority in this. I actually really liked Dany finally snapping. I know loads of people love her and want her to be a good guy, but she has always been utterly ruthless and manipulative from season 1, and her sadism has increased throughout the show. She said from day 1 she would do whatever it takes to be queen of the 7 kingdoms, and she has harboured rage inside her. I think it was a completely natural arc, and I liked seeing her finally become her father's daughter, and was still genuinely shocked despite expecting it.

I will agree though the writing has been subpar compared to previous seasons and I would of liked it done differently. I didn't need to see what felt like an hour of buildings getting wrecked and civilians being crushed and burned to death.

My main beef though is with cersie and Jaime's deaths, really underwhelming. Cersie was arguable that character who moved the plot along the most in the show, and a great villain. The character deserved a better sendoff than that totally lame death, I hope she somehow claws her way out of the ruins of the red keep so she can get a proper ending.

It definitely could have been better executed.

However, I think it pays proper tribute to both characters (Jaime and Cersei) as ultimately tragic characters.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Mon May 13, 2019 1:39 am

I’m at work so I’ll change the poll this afternoon when I get home

Good? Bad? No spoils plox
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon May 13, 2019 1:51 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:I’m at work so I’ll change the poll this afternoon when I get home

There's good and there's bad

It's definitely very entertaining

Bezkoshtovnya
Senator

Founded: Sep 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezkoshtovnya » Mon May 13, 2019 1:52 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:I’m at work so I’ll change the poll this afternoon when I get home

Personally I think it's really good and it makes sense.
Dante Alighieri wrote:There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.
ΦΣK
------------------

British Tackeettlaus
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby British Tackeettlaus » Mon May 13, 2019 1:57 am

Divisive

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Mon May 13, 2019 2:09 am

Bezkoshtovnya wrote:

Personally I think it's really good and it makes sense.
Infected Mushroom wrote:

There's good and there's bad

It's definitely very entertaining
British Tackeettlaus wrote:
Divisive
[/quote]
Ohhhh juicy, I love me a divisive episode
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Mon May 13, 2019 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Mon May 13, 2019 2:22 am

Ladies and gentlemen, it is now obvious that the wrong side lost the Battle of the Long Night.

Farewell, sweet Night King, we were so wrong to oppose you.

In regards to Dany, daddy would have been soooo proud of his little girl:

Last edited by Baltenstein on Mon May 13, 2019 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
O'er the hills and o'er the main.
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain.
King George commands and we obey.
Over the hills and far away.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon May 13, 2019 2:31 am

Baltenstein wrote:
Ladies and gentlemen, it is now obvious that the wrong side lost the Battle of the Long Night.

(Image)

(Image)

Am I the only one who never feels bad for the people of King's Landing?

They've shown their true colours since Season 1 with how they cheered for Ned's death.

The same idiots bought into the High Sparrow's BS.

I cheered when Cersei blew up the Sept (it never even occurred to me to mourn for the people of KL).

And for this episode, I honestly didn't care that they got killed. Like these are literally the sorts of people that make the world such a terrible place at times... they're full of cliques, they prey on the vulnerable, they're treacherous, and they act like big dumb crowds. If I had powers I too would seriously be tempted to take them down.

Kudos to Tyrion and Varys for trying SO HARD to fight for their right to live (that takes character). I never considered them a real factor in this.
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Mon May 13, 2019 2:33 am, edited 4 times in total.

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Mon May 13, 2019 2:40 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Baltenstein wrote:

(Image)

(Image)

They've shown their true colours since Season 1 with how they cheered for Ned's death.

I cheered when Cersei blew up the Sept (it never even occurred to me to mourn for the people of KL).

And for this episode, I honestly didn't care that they got killed. Like these are literally the sorts of people that make the world such a terrible place at times... they're full of cliques, they prey on the vulnerable, they're treacherous, and they act like big dumb crowds. If I had powers I too would seriously be tempted to take them down.

Kudos to Tyrion and Varys for trying SO HARD to fight for their right to live (that takes character). I never considered them a real factor in this.

I honestly think that letting the NK turn all of Westeros into a pain- and mindless utopia would have been the better choice at this point.

The Seven Kingdoms are apparently cursed to be ruled either by, to put in Tyrion's words, vicious kings (Aerys, Joffrey, Cersei, Dany) or idiot kings (Robert, Tommen, probably Jon)
Last edited by Baltenstein on Mon May 13, 2019 2:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

-Ocelot-
Minister

Founded: Jun 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby -Ocelot- » Mon May 13, 2019 2:49 am

Dany isn't actually mad. To me, it seemed like she was releasing all the anger she has gathered after losing Jorah, Missandei, 2 dragons, half her army and after getting betrayed by almost everyone. She isn't crazy, she is fed up with being good and kind to everyone. I'd be mad too if I had saved the wasteland called the north only to see northmen praising their own. Sansa alone would drive me crazy. Then you have Tyrion Lannister who has been guiding Dany from one mistake to another since her arrival in Westeros... and eventually betrays her to save his brother. Then he tells her to stop the attack if the bells ring. You bet your ass I wouldn't stop, Tyrion isn't trustworthy.

In the end, Olenna Tyrell was right. Cercei was the end of Jaime and Dany should have burned KL first before assisting the North. That way she could have burned Winterfell for being so ungrateful afterwards.

Cleganebowl happened as most people suspected it would. Neither Jaimie nor Sandor were able to leave their pasts behind. Euron dying means that the iron islands may finally get a sane ruler but Yara/Asha will have no marry matriliarly to keep her dynasty alive IIRC.

I get that Dany has to go now but I hope the ending is something good instead of "LUL BRAN GETS DA THON BCAUSE JON IS 2 OBIOS LEL". I, for one, hope Dany stays in power even though it's obvious that she won't. The series deserves a decent conclusion.

The only real winner so far is Gendry Baratheon and good for him. In theory, he could take over after Dany dies, because Jon doesn't want to rule westeros, but this is extremely unlikely.
Last edited by -Ocelot- on Mon May 13, 2019 2:54 am, edited 5 times in total.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon May 13, 2019 2:50 am

Baltenstein wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

I honestly think that letting the NK turn all of Westeros into a pain- and mindless utopia would have been the better choice at this point.

The Seven Kingdoms are apparently cursed to be ruled either by, to put in Tyrion's words, vicious kings (Aerys, Joffrey, Cersei, Dany) or idiot kings (Robert, Tommen, probably Jon)

Honestly, the best outcome was for Cersei Lannister to win the war. She was the Devil You Knew.

Its very unfortunate that this did not happen. But I'm overall okay with how it ended since I feel the narrative was a decent conclusion to both Jaime and Cersei's character arcs.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon May 13, 2019 3:28 am

this is all Jon's fault.
He keeps his mouth shut, kings landing doesnt get burned
He happily bangs emilia Clarke, kings landing doesnt get burned.
If he hugged doggo, the cgi budget gets blown out and kings landing doesnt get burned.

Jon's a fucking idiot.

Please note: I am not just saying that because kit Harrington is Mrs mermania's freebe.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Pasong Tirad
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 31, 2007
Democratic Socialists

Postby Pasong Tirad » Mon May 13, 2019 3:30 am

Feel like D&D are no longer working from scratch at this point. Feel like this is the ending that GRRM told them about.

Pasong Tirad
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 31, 2007
Democratic Socialists

Postby Pasong Tirad » Mon May 13, 2019 3:30 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
this is all Jon's fault.
If he hugged doggo, the cgi budget gets blown out and kings landing doesnt get burned.

Jon's a fucking idiot.

Please note: I am not just saying that because kit Harrington is Mrs mermania's freebe.

HE SHOULD HAVE HUGGED THE DOG!!!!

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon May 13, 2019 3:58 am

So... err... about those people who named their daughters Khaleesi...

Tarsonis
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 20, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tarsonis » Mon May 13, 2019 5:12 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
this is all Jon's fault.

Jon's a fucking idiot.

You mean Sam's fault. If Jon knows he's not gonna keep hooking up with his aunt, which means Dany is gonna feel rejected but John never tells her why. If anything it gets worse for that. At least she might kind of understand why he's rejecting her.

If sam never tells him, he never knows, never rejects Dany, becomes her closest confidant and she rules in peace.
NS Keyboard Warrior since 2005
Ecclesiastes 1:18 "For in much wisdom is much vexation, and those who increase knowledge increase sorrow"
Thucydides: “The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools.”
1 Corinthians 5:12 "What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?"
Galatians 6:7 "Do not be deceived; God is not mocked, for you reap whatever you sow."
T. Stevens: "I don't hold with equality in all things, but I believe in equality under the Law."
James I of Aragon "Have you ever considered that our position is Idolatry to the Rabbi?"
Debating Christian Theology with Non-Christians pretty much anybody be like

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Mon May 13, 2019 5:23 am

Tarsonis wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:
this is all Jon's fault.

Jon's a fucking idiot.

You mean Sam's fault. If Jon knows he's not gonna keep hooking up with his aunt, which means Dany is gonna feel rejected but John never tells her why. If anything it gets worse for that. At least she might kind of understand why he's rejecting her.

If sam never tells him, he never knows, never rejects Dany, becomes her closest confidant and she rules in peace.

In that case, not only Sam but Bran too.
He didn't reveal any useful knowledge whatsoever on defeating the NK, but apparently telling Jon the truth about his parents was important.

"Hello Dany. You looked beautiful when you burned thousands of civilians alive..."

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon May 13, 2019 5:25 am

Baltenstein wrote:
Tarsonis wrote:

He didn't reveal any useful knowledge whatsoever on defeating the NK, but apparently telling Jon the truth about his parents was important.

"Hello Dany. You looked beautiful when you burned thousands of civilians alive..."

Those bastards.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Tarsonis
Post Czar

Democratic Socialists

Postby Tarsonis » Mon May 13, 2019 5:27 am

Pasong Tirad wrote:
Feel like D&D are no longer working from scratch at this point. Feel like this is the ending that GRRM told them about.

I don't doubt that this was always the intended ending. And I even see the writing on the wall going all the way back to season 1. However, the face-heel turn here is too sudden and rushed. They needed more episodes to really flesh it out. I disagree with people who say it makes no sense, but they have a point that it doesn't feel right.

Dany had won the war for the 7 kingdoms, so she decides to burn it all cause reasons? It would make more sense if there was some more context. What she did is essentially what the mongols used to do. Roll up on the city. If they open the gates and surrender, they set up a puppet governor to collect taxes and move along. If the city resits, they raise it even after they surrender. Give me that scene in episode 4, where she offers terms "surrender now or there will be no quarter." All the other characters can still be like "what the fuck?" Missandei still gets beheaded. Dany's still traumatized but decides "very well". Then it makes sense to burninate the entire city even if they try to surrender. "It's too late, you had your chance." But the "yeah sure, if they surrender the city I'll spare them. Oh JK" doesn't feel earned.
Ecclesiastes 1:18 "For in much wisdom is much vexation, and those who increase knowledge increase sorrow"
Thucydides: “The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools.”
1 Corinthians 5:12 "What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?"
Galatians 6:7 "Do not be deceived; God is not mocked, for you reap whatever you sow."
T. Stevens: "I don't hold with equality in all things, but I believe in equality under the Law."
James I of Aragon "Have you ever considered that our position is Idolatry to the Rabbi?"

Tarsonis
Post Czar

Democratic Socialists

Postby Tarsonis » Mon May 13, 2019 5:29 am

Baltenstein wrote:
Tarsonis wrote:

Yeah Bran really is the most useless character in the series

-Ocelot-
Minister

Founded: Jun 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby -Ocelot- » Mon May 13, 2019 5:31 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
this is all Jon's fault.

Jon's a fucking idiot.

Why are Starks so fucking stupid? How did these people even kept the North under control all these years

Tarsonis
Post Czar

Democratic Socialists

Postby Tarsonis » Mon May 13, 2019 5:35 am

-Ocelot- wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:
this is all Jon's fault.

Jon's a fucking idiot.

Why are Starks so fucking stupid? How did these people even kept the North under control all these years

I disagree that the Starks are stupid. For one it's just the Men screwing up. The women are much more adept at the feudal politics. The real problem is they're noble. They do whats right, rather than whats prudent or practical. Thus the women tell them again and again that they're messing up, but they keep blundering anyway.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction