NATION

PASSWORD

ASoIAF/Game of Thrones general Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Thoughts on HOTD Episode Ten: "The Black Queen"

5 Stars
67%
4 Stars
8%
3 Stars
No votes
2 Stars
No votes
1 Star
17%
Not seen it yet
8%

Total votes : 12

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon May 27, 2019 2:16 pm

Ism wrote:
-Ocelot- wrote:
Yeah but Starks are the apex of entitlement.

Because they still wanted independence? Consider this, Brandon Stark, Rickard Stark, Lyana Stark, Eddard Stark, Catelyn Stark and Rickon Stark all died, directly or indirectly, because of southern Kings. They've lost a lot in the last few decades, gained very little for their troubles, and the reason they were kneeled to begin with, dragons, are no longer a factor. So, yeah, they want out of a system that brings them next to no benefits and has cost them dearly. Such entitlement. If you want actual apexes of entitlement, look at Ramsay, who kills his father, mother-in-law and half-brother to ensure he gets the North, Joffrey, who thinks being king means everyone has to bow to his every whim or Renly, who thought being personable meant he should get the throne despite his claim being laughable. The Starks, and the North, are just tired of being screwed over by southern politics, they don't show any greater sense of entitlement than you would expect from a noble house of their standing.

. If it wasnt for the dragon they would all be dead. Ingrates!!

#TeamDany
Last edited by Ethel mermania on Mon May 27, 2019 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon May 27, 2019 8:24 pm

I find this show to be an excellent critique on the problems of democracy

in fact, the response to Samwell Tarly's democratic proposal was surprisingly avant-garde and applicable to this day

Aeyariss
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 26, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Aeyariss » Mon May 27, 2019 8:43 pm

That's probably what the ancient kings of old told their revolutionist/reformist counterpart.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon May 27, 2019 8:43 pm

Aeyariss wrote:That's probably what the ancient kings of old told their revolutionist/reformist counterpart.

and the irony is that it made sense

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Tue May 28, 2019 2:53 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:I find this show to be an excellent critique on the problems of democracy

in fact, the response to Samwell Tarly's democratic proposal was surprisingly avant-garde and applicable to this day

Rejecting democracy and laughing at it is not avant-garde, it has happened literally all over the world for hundreds of years and was the norm for thousands. Stop using phrases like that to sound clever because you dont.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Tue May 28, 2019 2:55 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:I find this show to be an excellent critique on the problems of democracy

Rejecting democracy and laughing at it is not avant-garde, it has happened literally all over the world for hundreds of years and was the norm for thousands. Stop using phrases like that to sound clever because you dont.

Again, I find it vastly amusing that GRRM wrote ASoIaF as an attempt to show how shitty and brutal the middle ages and war is, and then we have people like IM who can only think "Why isn't the world run like this!?"
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Tue May 28, 2019 2:58 am

New haven america wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Rejecting democracy and laughing at it is not avant-garde, it has happened literally all over the world for hundreds of years and was the norm for thousands. Stop using phrases like that to sound clever because you dont.

Again, I find it vastly amusing that GRRM wrote ASoIaF as an attempt to show how shitty and brutal the middle ages and war is, and then we have people like IM who can only think "Why isn't the world run like this!?"

He has literally taken the exact opposite view of this stuff that you should have. Its... mind boggling
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Tue May 28, 2019 3:07 am

A week after watching the series finale, I'm more clear minded and wanted to give my $0.02.

While I personally liked the ending, I can understand why a lot of people didn't, and the logical inconsistencies aren't excusable. It was unsatisfying because the show runners rushed the whole season and lowered the episode count. They've had two years to prepare for this, wanting to run off and write Star Wars isn't an excuse to half-bake a phenomenal series and I hope it bites D&D in the future. I'm probably being mean, and don't want to venture into personal attack territory, but I have absolutely no problem with them losing writing opportunities because of how poorly they executed this season, disregarding both the fans, directors, cast, and staff (seriously Ramin Djawadi did not receive the immense acknowledgement he deserved).

I don't know if I'll be watching the spin-off's, I'm certainly not going to try and read the books (though I'm sure they're good) but I'm certain that George will be able to provide a much more satisfying ending to ASOIF. I am kind of sad it will never get the justice it deserves, because no one can replace the cast of GOT as their characters.

Last edited by Hanafuridake on Tue May 28, 2019 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nation name in proper language: 花降岳|पुष्पद्वीप
Theravada Buddhist
李贽 wrote:There is nothing difficult about becoming a sage, and nothing false about transcending the world of appearances.
Suriyanakhon's alt, finally found my old account's password

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Tue May 28, 2019 3:09 am

New haven america wrote:Again, I find it vastly amusing that GRRM wrote ASoIaF as an attempt to show how shitty and brutal the middle ages and war is, and then we have people like IM who can only think "Why isn't the world run like this!?"

He has literally taken the exact opposite view of this stuff that you should have. Its... mind boggling

Remember Huskar, he liked most of this season unironically.

Nothing about this is a surprise.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Tue May 28, 2019 3:10 am

To be fair though, popular democracy the way Sam suggested would indeed be completely unworkable in Westeros in its current state (Heck, direct democracy doesn't even really work on a national level in our IRL 21st Century).
They still have centuries of work on education, technology and infrastructure ahead of them to make some sort of continent-wide democratic system feasible.
O'er the hills and o'er the main.
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain.
King George commands and we obey.
Over the hills and far away.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Tue May 28, 2019 3:10 am

New haven america wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:He has literally taken the exact opposite view of this stuff that you should have. Its... mind boggling

I thought he was going to do a heel face turn and loathe it when he found out that the Lannister's weren't going to win.
Theravada Buddhist
李贽 wrote:There is nothing difficult about becoming a sage, and nothing false about transcending the world of appearances.

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Tue May 28, 2019 3:15 am

Baltenstein wrote:To be fair though, popular democracy the way Sam suggested would indeed be completely unworkable in Westeros in its current state (Heck, direct democracy doesn't even really work on a national level in our IRL 21st Century).
They still have centuries of work on education, technology and infrastructure ahead of them to make some sort of continent-wide democratic system feasible.

Exactly, there's not the infrastructure for democracy in Westeros. Medieval republics were oligarchies most of the time and while Athens was slightly less oligarchic, it was a city state rather than a large continental empire. The more realistic scenario would be a populist strongman coming to power and ruling as a dictator rather than king.

When I first started getting into this series, I wanted Varys to be the Westerosi Robespierre. Decapitate the aristocrats and install himself as head of a union of seven republics. Although Westeros is nowhere close to a French Revolution unfortunately.
Theravada Buddhist

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Tue May 28, 2019 3:19 am

New haven america wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:He has literally taken the exact opposite view of this stuff that you should have. Its... mind boggling

Hey i liked a lot of this season as well, it was incredibly disappointing but i liked a lot of it despite that. First three episodes are awesome (minus the night king death stuff and the tactics) after that...... eh.. had some good moments.

Hanafuridake wrote:A week after watching the series finale, I'm more clear minded and wanted to give my $0.02.

While I personally liked the ending, I can understand why a lot of people didn't, and the logical inconsistencies aren't excusable. It was unsatisfying because the show runners rushed the whole season and lowered the episode count. They've had two years to prepare for this, wanting to run off and write Star Wars isn't an excuse to half-bake a phenomenal series and I hope it bites D&D in the future. I'm probably being mean, and don't want to venture into personal attack territory, but I have absolutely no problem with them losing writing opportunities because of how poorly they executed this season, disregarding both the fans, directors, cast, and staff (seriously Ramin Djawadi did not receive the immense acknowledgement he deserved).

I don't know if I'll be watching the spin-off's, I'm certainly not going to try and read the books (though I'm sure they're good) but I'm certain that George will be able to provide a much more satisfying ending to ASOIF. I am kind of sad it will never get the justice it deserves, because no one can replace the cast of GOT as their characters.
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Rejecting democracy and laughing at it is not avant-garde, it has happened literally all over the world for hundreds of years and was the norm for thousands. Stop using phrases like that to sound clever because you dont.

I went to an art uni for 4 years this kind of misuse of artistic terms is a pet peeve as a result :lol:

Especially since my dissertation was on the avant garde in russia.

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Tue May 28, 2019 3:28 am

Hanafuridake wrote:
Baltenstein wrote:To be fair though, popular democracy the way Sam suggested would indeed be completely unworkable in Westeros in its current state (Heck, direct democracy doesn't even really work on a national level in our IRL 21st Century).

Exactly, there's not the infrastructure for democracy in Westeros. Medieval republics were oligarchies most of the time and while Athens was slightly less oligarchic, it was a city state rather than a large continental empire. The more realistic scenario would be a populist strongman coming to power and ruling as a dictator rather than king.

*Laughs in High Sparrow*
O'er the hills and o'er the main.
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain.
King George commands and we obey.
Over the hills and far away.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Tue May 28, 2019 3:28 am

New haven america wrote:Remember Huskar, he liked most of this season unironically.

Hey i liked a lot of this season as well, it was incredibly disappointing but i liked a lot of it despite that. First three episodes are awesome (minus the night king death stuff and the tactics) after that...... eh.. had some good moments.

Hanafuridake wrote:A week after watching the series finale, I'm more clear minded and wanted to give my $0.02.

I went to an art uni for 4 years this kind of misuse of artistic terms is a pet peeve as a result :lol:

Especially since my dissertation was on the avant garde in russia.

Hey, I woulda liked this season if they burned down the entire continent. But no, that's considered "bad" or "genocidal" or something.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Platypus Bureaucracy
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Platypus Bureaucracy » Tue May 28, 2019 3:30 am

You guys are still talking about that finale? So last week.
Platypus of the non-venomous, egg-laying variety
Platypus Bureaucracy wrote:I will never stop being a gay platypus.

The Huskar Social Union wrote:You glorifted ducking wanabe sea pheasant

Platapusses are not rel

Ostroeuropa wrote:"Can we just eat SOME of the rich?"

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Tue May 28, 2019 3:31 am

Platypus Bureaucracy wrote:You guys are still talking about that finale? So last week.

We still have sorrow to drown in.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue May 28, 2019 3:31 am

Platypus Bureaucracy wrote:You guys are still talking about that finale? So last week.

This one needs a walk of shame.

SHAME, SHAME..

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Platypus Bureaucracy
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Platypus Bureaucracy » Tue May 28, 2019 3:42 am

Ethel mermania wrote:

SHAME, SHAME..

I'm sorry, but Game of Thrones memes expired three days ago so I simply do not understand your comment.
Platypus of the non-venomous, egg-laying variety
Platypus Bureaucracy wrote:I will never stop being a gay platypus.

The Huskar Social Union wrote:You glorifted ducking wanabe sea pheasant

Platapusses are not rel

Ostroeuropa wrote:"Can we just eat SOME of the rich?"

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Tue May 28, 2019 3:53 am

I made a new poll for the upcoming prequel series, see if people are interested
Platypus Bureaucracy wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:

SHAME, SHAME..

I'm sorry, but Game of Thrones memes expired three days ago so I simply do not understand your comment.

Game of thrones memes are eternal.

Well maybe for another month or two.

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Tue May 28, 2019 4:04 am

Baltenstein wrote:
Hanafuridake wrote:

*Laughs in High Sparrow*

Oh right. He was a thing. I had forgotten a lot about back when this show was good.
Last edited by Hanafuridake on Tue May 28, 2019 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Theravada Buddhist

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue May 28, 2019 4:05 am

Platypus Bureaucracy wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:

SHAME, SHAME..

We are good until fall, you know, when winter is coming.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Tue May 28, 2019 5:44 am

The lords and ladies of noble houses scoffing at the idea of letting the people choose their leaders is not a critique of democracy, and it sure as shit isn't avant-garde.
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Tue May 28, 2019 5:47 am

Ifreann wrote:

The lords and ladies of noble houses scoffing at the idea of letting the people choose their leaders is not a critique of democracy, and it sure as shit isn't avant-garde.

its revolutionary, highly progressive thinking

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Tue May 28, 2019 5:47 am

Hanafuridake wrote:
New haven america wrote:Remember Huskar, he liked most of this season unironically.

I thought he was going to do a heel face turn and loathe it when he found out that the Lannister's weren't going to win.

Of course not, I'm entirely okay with my favourite characters meeting tragic ends so long as its reasonably well done

Now granted, I would have preferred if an entire episode were added (between 4 and 5) that was dedicated to Cersei and Jaime before closing it in 5 and I would have preferred that the scene and the things that led up to it were slightly better shot

but on the whole, narratively it was fine
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Tue May 28, 2019 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction