NATION

PASSWORD

ASoIAF/Game of Thrones general Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Thoughts on HOTD Episode Ten: "The Black Queen"

5 Stars
67%
4 Stars
8%
3 Stars
No votes
2 Stars
No votes
1 Star
17%
Not seen it yet
8%

Total votes : 12

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:33 pm

The Empire of Pretantia wrote:
Hanafuridake wrote:
Also there's a bunch of rape.

Oh God the rape.

Eventually they get tired of showing us normal rape so decide to share incestuous rape.
Nation name in proper language: 花降岳|पुष्पद्वीप
Theravada Buddhist
李贽 wrote:There is nothing difficult about becoming a sage, and nothing false about transcending the world of appearances.
Suriyanakhon's alt, finally found my old account's password

Myrensis
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Myrensis » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:37 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Fedel wrote:
Pretty much describes the entire second half of the show.

There's no way Bran as King can ever work in any narrative.

Also, Tyrion needed to die.

I still cannot believe that Jon Snow would just assassinate the Dragon Queen. It's... too much... I have no faith that that can be made to work at all.

I'd disagree..Daeny in the books is much more a grey character and you can very easily see the possibility for her to go down the bad path to Mad Queen, that would set up Jon having to turn on her.

The problem is that show Daeny is much more unambiguously a decent person and ruler. This is the problem with season 8 in general, D&D have spent 7 seasons having characters wildly diverge from their paths in the books...and then either killed them off or railroaded them to fit Martin's planned endings anyway.
Last edited by Myrensis on Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:57 am

Andsed wrote:
Hanafuridake wrote:
Also there's a bunch of rape.

Also the whole walk of shame bit. And a young girl being poisoned and dying in her fathers arms(which still annoys me since Oberyn would never approve of that.)

I think its best if we just never talk about Dorne.

Because Dorne was.... well it was Dorne. And shit.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Ism
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 14, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Ism » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:54 am

Myrensis wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

I still cannot believe that Jon Snow would just assassinate the Dragon Queen. It's... too much... I have no faith that that can be made to work at all.

I'd disagree..Daeny in the books is much more a grey character and you can very easily see the possibility for her to go down the bad path to Mad Queen, that would set up Jon having to turn on her.

The problem is that show Daeny is much more unambiguously a decent person and ruler. This is the problem with season 8 in general, D&D have spent 7 seasons having characters wildly diverge from their paths in the books...and then either killed them off or railroaded them to fit Martin's planned endings anyway.

Daenerys actually had a bad track record as a ruler. She's an excellent conqueror, and leader, but she never showed much talent or skill at actually ruling. As Khaleesi, her actions led to the death of Khal Drogo and the loss of her child, which would also have the consequence of her being imprisoned in Vaes Dothrak 6 years later, she failed to hold onto Astapor and Yunkai, and her tenure leading Mereen resulted in armed insurrection against her, culminating in an attempted assassination and later an attempted invasion of her city. An invasion that most likely began when she was being held in Vaes Dothrak. And, of course, her execution of Mossador cost her a great a deal of support among the freedmen of Mereen, without actually accomplishing anything.

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
Andsed wrote:Also the whole walk of shame bit. And a young girl being poisoned and dying in her fathers arms(which still annoys me since Oberyn would never approve of that.)

I wish we'd gotten something closer to books from Dorne. Or nothing from Dorne. Or just end the series in S4.
Last edited by Ism on Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:22 pm

Andsed wrote:Also the whole walk of shame bit. And a young girl being poisoned and dying in her fathers arms(which still annoys me since Oberyn would never approve of that.)

Except when indigo Montoya took on the mountain, that was fun.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:43 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:I think its best if we just never talk about Dorne.

Yeah that was pretty awesome.
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Myrensis
Negotiator

Postby Myrensis » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:29 am

Ism wrote:
Myrensis wrote:

Daenerys actually had a bad track record as a ruler. She's an excellent conqueror, and leader, but she never showed much talent or skill at actually ruling. As Khaleesi, her actions led to the death of Khal Drogo and the loss of her child, which would also have the consequence of her being imprisoned in Vaes Dothrak 6 years later, she failed to hold onto Astapor and Yunkai, and her tenure leading Mereen resulted in armed insurrection against her, culminating in an attempted assassination and later an attempted invasion of her city. An invasion that most likely began when she was being held in Vaes Dothrak. And, of course, her execution of Mossador cost her a great a deal of support among the freedmen of Mereen, without actually accomplishing anything.

Well, I should clarify 'decent' being the moral sense, rather than the 'competent' sense. Yeah, she screwed up quite a bit, but however botched the execution/thought process, she was generally motivated by what she thought was the right thing to do for the people she was ruling and wanted to 'liberate'. I mean, the entire reason she kept avoiding going straight to King's Landing to bring a swift end to the war is because suddenly brainless idiots Tyrion and Varys kept insisting it would be a bloodbath for the people, and she didn't want to risk that.

At least until her evil Targaryen genes spontaneously activated in the last episode and turned her into a genocidal lunatic wantonly slaughtering women and children because Targaryens be crazy yo.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:21 am

Game of thrones blood moon prequel starring Naomi Watts got axed so that aint happening.

Think there is another prequel in the works but who knows whats gona happen with that one.
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:28 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Game of thrones blood moon prequel starring Nicole Kidman got axed so that aint happening.

Think there is another prequel in the works but who knows whats gona happen with that one.

Before winds of winter comes out I am sure.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:30 am

Fucking not Nicole Kidman, its Naomi Watts.

Ethel mermania wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Game of thrones blood moon prequel starring Nicole Kidman got axed so that aint happening.

Before winds of winter comes out I am sure.
Most certainly

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:34 am

I'm looking forward to the Targaryen sequel.
Nation name in proper language: 花降岳|पुष्पद्वीप
Theravada Buddhist
李贽 wrote:There is nothing difficult about becoming a sage, and nothing false about transcending the world of appearances.
Suriyanakhon's alt, finally found my old account's password

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Re: ASoIAF/Game of Thrones general Discussion Thread

Postby Yohannes » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:40 pm

Still my favourite scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r52x0yTgcAk

Keiner ist so blind wie der, welcher nicht sehen will Image
The Pink Diary | Financial Diary | Embassy Exchange | Main Characters
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
Retired II RP Mentor | Yohannes’ [ National Flag ] | Commended WA Nation
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:46 pm

Yohannes wrote:

Keiner ist so blind wie der, welcher nicht sehen will (Image)

I mean credit where credit is due, it did do a good job of showing just what happens when a city get sacked and how horrific it is.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Re: ASoIAF/Game of Thrones

Postby Yohannes » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:03 pm

Andsed wrote:
Yohannes wrote:

Keiner ist so blind wie der, welcher nicht sehen will (Image)

I mean credit where credit is due, it did do a good job of showing just what happens when a city get sacked and how horrific it is.

“Your Grace.”

“All we need is one good shot.”

“The scorpions … have all been destroyed, your Grace.”

“The Iron Fleet hold Blackwater Bay.”

“Euron killed one of her dragons—he can kill another.”

“Your Grace, the Iron Fleet is burning … the gates have been breached … the Golden Company—”

“Our men will fight harder than sellswords ever could. They will defend their queen to the last man.”

“Yes, your Grace—”

“The Red Keep’s never fallen. It won’t fall today.”

---

Keiner ist so blind wie der, welcher nicht sehen will Image
The Pink Diary | Financial Diary | Embassy Exchange | Main Characters
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
Retired II RP Mentor | Yohannes’ [ National Flag ] | Commended WA Nation
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

Danternoust
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 20, 2019
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Danternoust » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:48 pm

Pretty weak Hitler re-enactment.

Steiner! Steiner!

Auristania
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Auristania » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:33 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:I think its best if we just never talk about Dorne.

Inigo Montoya died for the Cause that Dornish don't kill children, so Sand Snakes honour his memory by killing children.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:00 pm

Myrensis wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

For me it’s believable

She always came across to me as an insufferable, unstable, prideful, self-righteous personality

Even in Mereen I viewed her as strongly unlikable

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:35 am

Would you watch a Game of Thrones movie with Jaime as main character?

Maybe a trilogy of films?

Film 1: All the way up to the Mad King

Film 2: War of the Five Kings and adventures on the road

Film 3: Lannister vs Targaryen stuff
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:36 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:Would you watch a Game of Thrones movie with Jaime as main character?

You are obsessed

Also dont know. Dont really want a GOT movie.
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:36 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:Would you watch a Game of Thrones movie with Jaime as main character?

You are obsessed

eh see above for edit

what if it were a trilogy?

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:39 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:You are obsessed

eh see above for edit

what if it were a trilogy?

Dont want a trilogy either so nah im good.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:45 am

Maybe I would if:

A: They had not completely fucked over Jamie's character arc

B: Still gave a shit about GoT. But thanks to the utter shit that was season 8 I really don't.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:53 am

Andsed wrote:

Maybe I would if:

B: Still gave a shit about GoT. But thanks to the utter shit that was season 8 I really don't.

but what if they did it properly this time?

Without the "rushed Season 8 feel" and with a bit of an art house/Jack Snyder's Watchmen vibe to it?

You could have those slow motion shots of Jaime gracefully moving across the battlefield and hacking people away with his sword... (all those action scenes you never got, like the Whispering Woods)

And don't get me wrong, Nicolaj played a killer Jaime but let's change it up too.

New actor, new interpretation of the character (and please... keep him blonde for all the movies, this is important)...

Obviously Cersei would be the female lead but each of the three movies would have a different "antagonist" and the audience would consistently side with/against Jaime as the story goes on.

The third act would be properly and artfully done, with a very tragic ending of Jaime killed in King's Landing in the arms of the one he loved.

Though... I don't think this is ever happening

if they ever make GOT movies, which character do you think they would pick to focus on?

Clearly they couldn't do all characters in even a trilogy and do the story justice. They'd have to zoom in and focus on key characters right?

Who then (please don't say Dany)
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Myrensis
Negotiator

Postby Myrensis » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:14 pm

Andsed wrote:

Maybe I would if:

You're not the only one. Given the ignoble death of Bloodmoon after it apparently tanked hard with test audiences, if House of the Dragon falls apart as well D&D may turn out to have singlehandedly killed the Game of Thrones franchise with 6 episodes. Which is actually pretty impressive, in a morbid sort of way.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:24 am

Myrensis wrote:
Andsed wrote:Maybe I would if:

You're not the only one. Given the ignoble death of Bloodmoon after it apparently tanked hard with test audiences, if House of the Dragon falls apart as well D&D may turn out to have singlehandedly killed the Game of Thrones franchise with 6 episodes. Which is actually pretty impressive, in a morbid sort of way.

It really is a damn shame.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction