NATION

PASSWORD

ASoIAF/Game of Thrones general Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

What are your feelings towards the Game of Thrones prequel "Blood Moon"?

Very excited/interested for the new series
3
7%
Cautious but optimistic
15
33%
Cautious, not optimistic
12
26%
Not excited/interested for the new series
16
35%
 
Total votes : 46

User avatar
The Huskar Social Union
Post Czar
 
Posts: 45562
Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Fri May 17, 2019 6:24 am

Yes this thread is not about art, so ill not ramble about it any more.
Im Irish and live in Belfast Im a Leftwinger and im an Atheist

‘I never thought in terms of being a leader. I thought very simply in terms of helping people’ - John Hume

I like: The Red Agenda, video games, Not being a Wanker, Art, History, Blondes, Redheads, English Brunettes, Fortifications, Old Gregg, Tanks
I Dislike: The Blue Agenda, Being a Wanker, Gatekeeping, Likes and Dislikes lists, Dismantling Fortifications, Zealots, People who dont like Tanks

User avatar
-Ocelot-
Minister
 
Posts: 2008
Founded: Jun 14, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby -Ocelot- » Fri May 17, 2019 6:26 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:I am so very very happy to be born at just the right point in history to be able to experience this great show as the miracle and masterpiece that it is

And I truly hope that the finale will maintain that standard

It’s been a most excellent ride and I’m glad to be able to see history literally being remade in these 9 or so years


If you think of it this way, it's a shame how much S7 and S8 were rushed. If they weren't, everyone would remember this show as a timeless masterpiece. Instead, many will be like "it's great but it gets bad during the final episodes".

It's still an impressive achievement and nothing even comes close in television but the latter parts of the story should have been told in a slower manner.

User avatar
Infected Mushroom
Post Czar
 
Posts: 33707
Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Fri May 17, 2019 6:27 am

This show is so very very good that when it all ends I think I might get emotional and cry for several nights

It is truly one of the most beautiful things to ever grace the television

There are just so many moments, D and D and Martin have truly created something Great
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Fri May 17, 2019 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
-Ocelot-
Minister
 
Posts: 2008
Founded: Jun 14, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby -Ocelot- » Fri May 17, 2019 6:29 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:This show is so very very good that when it all ends I think I might get emotional and cry for several nights

It is truly one of the most beautiful things to ever grace the television

There are just so many moments, D and D and Martin have truly created something Great


What I like about this show is that it has many filler scenes that don't appear in the books (e.g: Your first kill convo between Robert amd Jaimie, the chaos is a laddah convo) but they are so well-written you don't even realize they are fillers.

User avatar
Infected Mushroom
Post Czar
 
Posts: 33707
Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Fri May 17, 2019 6:33 am

-Ocelot- wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:This show is so very very good that when it all ends I think I might get emotional and cry for several nights

It is truly one of the most beautiful things to ever grace the television

There are just so many moments, D and D and Martin have truly created something Great


What I like about this show is that it has many filler scenes that don't appear in the books (e.g: Your first kill convo between Robert amd Jaimie, the chaos is a laddah convo) but they are so well-written you don't even realize they are fillers.


I agree

Tywin-Arya

Jaime and Alton’s conversations

Baelish Varys conversations

Just to name a few

User avatar
Tarsonis
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12948
Founded: Sep 20, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tarsonis » Fri May 17, 2019 6:33 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Tarsonis wrote:
Usually what we see from the failed artists, they inevitably become art critics

Low blow Tarsonis. :p


I'd feel bad if it wasn't so historically accurate.
Proud NS Keyboard Warrior since 2005.
Ecclesiastes 1:18 "For in much wisdom is much vexation, and those who increase knowledge increase sorrow"
Galatians 6:7 " Do not be deceived; God is not mocked, for you reap whatever you sow."
1 Corinthians 5:12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?
T. Stevens: "I don't hold with equality in all things, but I believe in equality under the Law."
James I of Aragon "Have you ever considered that our position is Idolatry to the Rabbi?"
Debating Christian Theology with Non-Christians pretty much anybody be like

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 142018
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Ifreann » Fri May 17, 2019 6:44 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:It's not art created when you are high?

High art is the opposite of low art. Whilst Low art is art made for the masses, and often has a utility purpose/function and is of lower value compared to high art which is made for more limited audiences with more refined taste and artistic and aesthetic contemplation, is of higher value both financially and culturally and where artists are supposedly at their peak with little to no constraints, allowing them to reach their full potential.

Its basically art for arts sake, its something more than just made for entertainment which would be "low art" and was more challenging to make and was made to be unique etc etc

As far as i am concerned after 4 years in an art university its a load of pretentious bollocks most cases.

Which means that Game Of Thrones, a television show with a target demographic in the millions, is low art. Pretty much everything on television is, whether it's good or bad.


Platypus Bureaucracy wrote:This thread has become very strange indeed.

The optimal distance from which to appreciate this thread is 15 inches, and the optimal amount of LSD is 350mg.
Mistake Not My Current State Of Regular Thorough Handwashing For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Mask Wearing That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Social Distancing
He/Him

You've got a lonesome road to walk, and it ain't along the railroad track, and it ain't along the black-top tar you walked a hundred times before.
I'll tell you where the real road lies: between your ears, behind your eyes. That is the path to paradise, likewise the road to ruin.

User avatar
The New California Republic
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 29413
Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri May 17, 2019 6:50 am

Ifreann wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:High art is the opposite of low art. Whilst Low art is art made for the masses, and often has a utility purpose/function and is of lower value compared to high art which is made for more limited audiences with more refined taste and artistic and aesthetic contemplation, is of higher value both financially and culturally and where artists are supposedly at their peak with little to no constraints, allowing them to reach their full potential.

Its basically art for arts sake, its something more than just made for entertainment which would be "low art" and was more challenging to make and was made to be unique etc etc

As far as i am concerned after 4 years in an art university its a load of pretentious bollocks most cases.

Which means that Game Of Thrones, a television show with a target demographic in the millions, is low art. Pretty much everything on television is, whether it's good or bad.

Yup, and therein lies the reason for my disbelief at IM's remark that GoT is "high art".
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

User avatar
Andsed
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10462
Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Andsed » Fri May 17, 2019 6:53 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Ifreann wrote:Which means that Game Of Thrones, a television show with a target demographic in the millions, is low art. Pretty much everything on television is, whether it's good or bad.

Yup, and therein lies the reason for my disbelief at IM's remark that GoT is "high art".

Honestly these ideas of high and low art just feels like a pretentious concept used by people to dismiss stuff they don’t like.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

User avatar
Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11287
Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Fri May 17, 2019 7:31 am

Apparently the final episode got leaked, and against my better judgement I read it.

I wont be watching the final episode, I cant put myself through it.
Name: Ted
Ideology: Capitalism
Political Compass: Social Libertarian for some reason
Race: Vampire
Political Side: Right
Favorite Senator: Ted Cruz (Ted's have to help out Ted's)
Status: Healthy and as strong as a starved ox
I M P E R I A LR E P U B L I C

User avatar
The Huskar Social Union
Post Czar
 
Posts: 45562
Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Fri May 17, 2019 7:35 am

Holy Tedalonia wrote:Apparently the final episode got leaked, and against my better judgement I read it.

I wont be watching the final episode, I cant put myself through it.

Dew it
Im Irish and live in Belfast Im a Leftwinger and im an Atheist

‘I never thought in terms of being a leader. I thought very simply in terms of helping people’ - John Hume

I like: The Red Agenda, video games, Not being a Wanker, Art, History, Blondes, Redheads, English Brunettes, Fortifications, Old Gregg, Tanks
I Dislike: The Blue Agenda, Being a Wanker, Gatekeeping, Likes and Dislikes lists, Dismantling Fortifications, Zealots, People who dont like Tanks

User avatar
Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11287
Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Fri May 17, 2019 8:05 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
Holy Tedalonia wrote:Apparently the final episode got leaked, and against my better judgement I read it.

I wont be watching the final episode, I cant put myself through it.

Dew it

No, its awful, it shouldn't be watched. The episode was not meant for human consumption. >:(
Name: Ted
Ideology: Capitalism
Political Compass: Social Libertarian for some reason
Race: Vampire
Political Side: Right
Favorite Senator: Ted Cruz (Ted's have to help out Ted's)
Status: Healthy and as strong as a starved ox
I M P E R I A LR E P U B L I C

User avatar
Ethel mermania
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 108006
Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri May 17, 2019 8:29 am

Holy Tedalonia wrote:Apparently the final episode got leaked, and against my better judgement I read it.

I wont be watching the final episode, I cant put myself through it.

Drogon finally fully understanding his full powers, says to himself "fuck this shit" and burns everything down, mommy and jon both see what is happening and try and stop him, when he turns them both into cheese snacks and eats them both. The final scene is drogon sitting on the iron throne picking his teeth clean with Benioff and Weiss's bones, contemplating changing his name to Smaug......

Camera fades out.
The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.

http://www.salientpartners.com/epsilont ... ilizations

User avatar
Tarsonis
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12948
Founded: Sep 20, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tarsonis » Fri May 17, 2019 8:32 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Holy Tedalonia wrote:Apparently the final episode got leaked, and against my better judgement I read it.

I wont be watching the final episode, I cant put myself through it.

Drogon finally fully understanding his full powers, says to himself "fuck this shit" and burns everything down, mommy and jon both see what is happening and try and stop him, when he turns them both into cheese snacks and eats them both. The final scene is drogon sitting on the iron throne picking his teeth clean with Benioff and Weiss's bones, contemplating changing his name to Smaug......

Camera fades out.

And just when you think its over, a new hero emerges

Image
Proud NS Keyboard Warrior since 2005.
Ecclesiastes 1:18 "For in much wisdom is much vexation, and those who increase knowledge increase sorrow"
Galatians 6:7 " Do not be deceived; God is not mocked, for you reap whatever you sow."
1 Corinthians 5:12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?
T. Stevens: "I don't hold with equality in all things, but I believe in equality under the Law."
James I of Aragon "Have you ever considered that our position is Idolatry to the Rabbi?"
Debating Christian Theology with Non-Christians pretty much anybody be like

User avatar
Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11287
Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Fri May 17, 2019 8:56 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Holy Tedalonia wrote:Apparently the final episode got leaked, and against my better judgement I read it.

I wont be watching the final episode, I cant put myself through it.

Drogon finally fully understanding his full powers, says to himself "fuck this shit" and burns everything down, mommy and jon both see what is happening and try and stop him, when he turns them both into cheese snacks and eats them both. The final scene is drogon sitting on the iron throne picking his teeth clean with Benioff and Weiss's bones, contemplating changing his name to Smaug......

Camera fades out.

A better ending then what is in the final episode. Truth be told.
Name: Ted
Ideology: Capitalism
Political Compass: Social Libertarian for some reason
Race: Vampire
Political Side: Right
Favorite Senator: Ted Cruz (Ted's have to help out Ted's)
Status: Healthy and as strong as a starved ox
I M P E R I A LR E P U B L I C

User avatar
Baltenstein
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10663
Founded: Jan 25, 2010
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Baltenstein » Fri May 17, 2019 8:59 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Holy Tedalonia wrote:Apparently the final episode got leaked, and against my better judgement I read it.

I wont be watching the final episode, I cant put myself through it.

Drogon finally fully understanding his full powers, says to himself "fuck this shit" and burns everything down, mommy and jon both see what is happening and try and stop him, when he turns them both into cheese snacks and eats them both. The final scene is drogon sitting on the iron throne picking his teeth clean with Benioff and Weiss's bones, contemplating changing his name to Smaug......

Camera fades out.


EXTRA PLOT TWIST

After the credits roll, we see Drogon pulling off his face - and it was actually Arya this whole time.
"Valar Morghulis."
Cue Faceless Men theme.
O'er the hills and o'er the main.
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain.
King George commands and we obey.
Over the hills and far away.


THE NORTH REMEMBERS

User avatar
Auristania
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1075
Founded: Aug 12, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Auristania » Fri May 17, 2019 9:51 am

-Ocelot- wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:I am so very very happy to be born at just the right point in history to be able to experience this great show as the miracle and masterpiece that it is

And I truly hope that the finale will maintain that standard

It’s been a most excellent ride and I’m glad to be able to see history literally being remade in these 9 or so years


If you think of it this way, it's a shame how much S7 and S8 were rushed. If they weren't, everyone would remember this show as a timeless masterpiece. Instead, many will be like "it's great but it gets bad during the final episodes".

It's still an impressive achievement and nothing even comes close in television but the latter parts of the story should have been told in a slower manner.

Exactly and perfectly so. Finaleitis has reduced the quality, but GoT is still the bestest show on TV.

User avatar
Auristania
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1075
Founded: Aug 12, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Auristania » Fri May 17, 2019 9:54 am

:clap: :clap:
Baltenstein wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Drogon finally fully understanding his full powers, says to himself "fuck this shit" and burns everything down, mommy and jon both see what is happening and try and stop him, when he turns them both into cheese snacks and eats them both. The final scene is drogon sitting on the iron throne picking his teeth clean with Benioff and Weiss's bones, contemplating changing his name to Smaug......

Camera fades out.


EXTRA PLOT TWIST

After the credits roll, we see Drogon pulling off his face - and it was actually Arya this whole time.
"Valar Morghulis."
Cue Faceless Men theme.

:bow: :rofl: :kiss: :clap: :clap: :clap:

User avatar
Tarsonis
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12948
Founded: Sep 20, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tarsonis » Fri May 17, 2019 9:58 am

Baltenstein wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Drogon finally fully understanding his full powers, says to himself "fuck this shit" and burns everything down, mommy and jon both see what is happening and try and stop him, when he turns them both into cheese snacks and eats them both. The final scene is drogon sitting on the iron throne picking his teeth clean with Benioff and Weiss's bones, contemplating changing his name to Smaug......

Camera fades out.


EXTRA PLOT TWIST

After the credits roll, we see Drogon pulling off his face - and it was actually Arya this whole time.
"Valar Morghulis."
Cue Faceless Men theme.


...then whose running around with Arya’s face?
Proud NS Keyboard Warrior since 2005.
Ecclesiastes 1:18 "For in much wisdom is much vexation, and those who increase knowledge increase sorrow"
Galatians 6:7 " Do not be deceived; God is not mocked, for you reap whatever you sow."
1 Corinthians 5:12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?
T. Stevens: "I don't hold with equality in all things, but I believe in equality under the Law."
James I of Aragon "Have you ever considered that our position is Idolatry to the Rabbi?"
Debating Christian Theology with Non-Christians pretty much anybody be like

User avatar
Andsed
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10462
Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Andsed » Fri May 17, 2019 10:00 am

Auristania wrote:
-Ocelot- wrote:
If you think of it this way, it's a shame how much S7 and S8 were rushed. If they weren't, everyone would remember this show as a timeless masterpiece. Instead, many will be like "it's great but it gets bad during the final episodes".

It's still an impressive achievement and nothing even comes close in television but the latter parts of the story should have been told in a slower manner.

Exactly and perfectly so. Final season has reduced the quality, but GoT is still the best show on TV.

Haha no.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

User avatar
Des-Bal
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 29859
Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Des-Bal » Fri May 17, 2019 10:37 am

Andsed wrote:Haha no.


Game of Thrones isn't the best show on HBO.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

User avatar
Tarsonis
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12948
Founded: Sep 20, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tarsonis » Fri May 17, 2019 10:38 am

Des-Bal wrote:
Andsed wrote:Haha no.


Game of Thrones isn't the best show on HBO.

What is?
Proud NS Keyboard Warrior since 2005.
Ecclesiastes 1:18 "For in much wisdom is much vexation, and those who increase knowledge increase sorrow"
Galatians 6:7 " Do not be deceived; God is not mocked, for you reap whatever you sow."
1 Corinthians 5:12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?
T. Stevens: "I don't hold with equality in all things, but I believe in equality under the Law."
James I of Aragon "Have you ever considered that our position is Idolatry to the Rabbi?"
Debating Christian Theology with Non-Christians pretty much anybody be like

User avatar
Des-Bal
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 29859
Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Des-Bal » Fri May 17, 2019 10:43 am

Tarsonis wrote:What is?


Barry get's my vote. I've watched every episode this season and haven't once said "this is fucking stupid."
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

User avatar
Tarsonis
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12948
Founded: Sep 20, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tarsonis » Fri May 17, 2019 10:49 am

Des-Bal wrote:
Tarsonis wrote:What is?


Barry get's my vote. I've watched every episode this season and haven't once said "this is fucking stupid."


The Gay gangsters have worn on me.
Proud NS Keyboard Warrior since 2005.
Ecclesiastes 1:18 "For in much wisdom is much vexation, and those who increase knowledge increase sorrow"
Galatians 6:7 " Do not be deceived; God is not mocked, for you reap whatever you sow."
1 Corinthians 5:12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?
T. Stevens: "I don't hold with equality in all things, but I believe in equality under the Law."
James I of Aragon "Have you ever considered that our position is Idolatry to the Rabbi?"
Debating Christian Theology with Non-Christians pretty much anybody be like

User avatar
Des-Bal
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 29859
Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Des-Bal » Fri May 17, 2019 10:57 am

Tarsonis wrote:The Gay gangsters have worn on me.


Yeah giving the fun background guys too much exposure is a pretty common mistake but I've been able to forgive them thusfar.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Heloin, Hurdergaryp, U S Eh

Advertisement

Remove ads