NATION

PASSWORD

ASoIAF/Game of Thrones general Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Thoughts on HOTD Episode Ten: "The Black Queen"

5 Stars
67%
4 Stars
8%
3 Stars
No votes
2 Stars
No votes
1 Star
17%
Not seen it yet
8%

Total votes : 12

Platypus Bureaucracy
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Platypus Bureaucracy » Sun May 12, 2019 2:34 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
Platypus Bureaucracy wrote:Their? That's harsh; only one of them needs chopping.

Im sure there are still some random lannister cousins somewhere could do with a walk to the block.

Fair enough. Carry on.
Platypus of the non-venomous, egg-laying variety
Platypus Bureaucracy wrote:I will never stop being a gay platypus.

The Huskar Social Union wrote:You glorifted ducking wanabe sea pheasant

Platapusses are not rel

Ostroeuropa wrote:"Can we just eat SOME of the rich?"

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Sun May 12, 2019 4:21 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Oh its almost time me laddies. Will we have a good episode or will we be swamped by even more memes about how shit it is.

I don't really see them turning this trash fire around. We're limping to the series finale with spectacle and nonsensical writing on full display. This one will probably be eregious in order to make room for totally mindless action in the finale.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun May 12, 2019 4:32 am

Des-Bal wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Oh its almost time me laddies. Will we have a good episode or will we be swamped by even more memes about how shit it is.

I don't really see them turning this trash fire around. We're limping to the series finale with spectacle and nonsensical writing on full display. This one will probably be eregious in order to make room for totally mindless action in the finale.

It’s going to be epic, I look forward to the Lannister victory

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sun May 12, 2019 4:37 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Des-Bal wrote:

Des-Bal wrote:

Its kind of like a runner at a race, they are doing well going along, trip a bit (season 5) recover, trip again (season 7) then someone just runs out onto the field and whacks their leg off at the knee with an axe and they just crawl screaming towards the finish line.

You have this weird mix of happiness, sadness and disappointment.
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Sun May 12, 2019 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun May 12, 2019 5:34 am

Any tips for how to sleep tonight?

I also have a day off tomorrow so I’m going to watch the episode live.

I feel like 9 years of my life have literally been leading up to this moment

Tips on how to sleep peacefully?

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sun May 12, 2019 5:46 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:Any tips for how to sleep tonight?

I also have a day off tomorrow so I’m going to watch the episode live.

I feel like 9 years of my life have literally been leading up to this moment

Tips on how to sleep peacefully?

1.Put your head on the pillow
2. Have an existential crisis that Euron is gona be skull fucked by a dragon
3. Listen to Stannis Baratheon OST on a loop
4. Sleep
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Sun May 12, 2019 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Sun May 12, 2019 5:56 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Des-Bal wrote:

I'm... pretty sure you're going to be extremely disappointed.
Nation name in proper language: 花降岳|पुष्पद्वीप
Theravada Buddhist
李贽 wrote:There is nothing difficult about becoming a sage, and nothing false about transcending the world of appearances.
Suriyanakhon's alt, finally found my old account's password

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun May 12, 2019 6:17 am

Hanafuridake wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

you don't think she can win?

I'd settle for mutually assured destruction too

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Sun May 12, 2019 6:33 am

Well new episode on the horizon I am still salty about what they did to ghost and not excited.

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Hanafuridake wrote:

Honestly Cersi is fucked if her enemy use sound strategy and tactics. Which seeing the last few episode I don't think she needs to worry about that.
Last edited by Andsed on Sun May 12, 2019 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Platypus Bureaucracy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Platypus Bureaucracy » Sun May 12, 2019 6:44 am

Andsed wrote:Well new episode on the horizon I am still salty about what they did to ghost and not excited.

Infected Mushroom wrote:

Honestly Cersi is fucked if her enemy use sound strategy and tactics. Which seeing the last few episode I don't think she needs to worry about that.

Really?
She's got a whole lot of those ballistas, and we've seen how effective they are. Kill Drogon and that's a very level playing field all of a sudden.

Platapusses are not rel

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun May 12, 2019 6:44 am

Andsed wrote:Well new episode on the horizon I am still salty about what they did to ghost and not excited.

Infected Mushroom wrote:

:)

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun May 12, 2019 6:45 am

Platypus Bureaucracy wrote:

Really?
She's got a whole lot of those ballistas, and we've seen how effective they are. Kill Drogon and that's a very level playing field all of a sudden.

sounds like a plan to me

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sun May 12, 2019 6:53 am

Really?

Yeah but the Lannisters seem to be having brain trouble using them on occasion.

Like when Dany, her advisers rocked up to Kings landing with 80 infantry and one dragon and just stood there in front of a wall covered in ballistas and the Lannisters.... didnt kill them.

Platypus Bureaucracy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Platypus Bureaucracy » Sun May 12, 2019 7:06 am

Platypus Bureaucracy wrote:Really?

Like when Dany, her advisers rocked up to Kings landing with 80 infantry and one dragon and just stood there in front of a wall covered in ballistas and the Lannisters.... didnt kill them.

Well, they've got a 50% success rate on "Shall we try using the ballistas?"

Platapusses are not rel

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sun May 12, 2019 7:10 am

Well, they've got a 50% success rate on "Shall we try using the ballistas?"

Hey its a coin flip!

Platypus Bureaucracy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Platypus Bureaucracy » Sun May 12, 2019 7:11 am

Platypus Bureaucracy wrote:Well, they've got a 50% success rate on "Shall we try using the ballistas?"

Hey its a coin flip!

Plot twist: Cersei is Harvey Dent.

Platapusses are not rel

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Sun May 12, 2019 7:14 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Hanafuridake wrote:

The writers aren't going to have Cersei Lannister, the unlikable bitch who constantly breaks her word, win.
Nation name in proper language: 花降岳|पुष्पद्वीप
Theravada Buddhist
李贽 wrote:There is nothing difficult about becoming a sage, and nothing false about transcending the world of appearances.
Suriyanakhon's alt, finally found my old account's password

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun May 12, 2019 7:36 am

Hanafuridake wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

The writers aren't going to have Cersei Lannister, the unlikable bitch who constantly breaks her word, win.

depends on what Martin told D and D

the overall ending, to my understanding, is going to be the same

with the decision to put the undead battle before, I have a feeling we might be seeing a long curve ball coming in at the close
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Sun May 12, 2019 7:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sun May 12, 2019 7:38 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Hanafuridake wrote:

depends on what Martin told D and D

the overall ending, to my understanding, is going to be the same

with the decision to put the undead battle before, I have a feeling we might be seeing a long curve ball coming in at the close

She is gona die.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Sun May 12, 2019 7:39 am

Really?

And that is all well and good but. Dragons are not Dany's greatest weapon. Time is. Cersi is relying on mercenaries and she can only pay them for so long before going bankrupt. And once that happens Cersi has no real military. All Dany has to do is sit back and wait while building up forces and waging a propaganda war. And also if she is going to march south not stupidly split up her army and risk the seas.

Also use politics like say installing Gendry in Storms End to gain more support and weaken Cersi position.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun May 12, 2019 7:44 am

Andsed wrote:

And that is all well and good but. Dragons are not Dany's greatest weapon. Time is. Cersi is relying on mercenaries and she can only pay them for so long before going bankrupt. And once that happens Cersi has no real military. All Dany has to do is sit back and wait while building up forces and waging a propaganda war. And also if she is going to march south not stupidly split up her army and risk the seas.

Also use politics like say installing Gendry in Storms End to gain more support and weaken Cersi position.

yeah but since this angle has never been brought up, I can only assume that in-universe/show its assumed Cersei has unlimited wealth/gold to pay them (even though Tywin said their gold mines ran dry many years ago); probably from High Garden

thematically, the Lannisters have always represented the power of cold hard cash
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Sun May 12, 2019 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Sun May 12, 2019 7:47 am

If they're using sound strategy they don't actually need to go anywhere near King's Landing. Cersei is ruling without a legal pretext, she is capricious, mean, and has caused a lot of trouble for a lot of people. If they go out and rally support with the whole "hey look there's a cool new alternative ruler with dragons and she defeated an army of the undead -shut up arya-" shtick she could unite six of the seven kingdoms move the capitol to dragonstone force Cersei to go on the offensive.

Cerseis armis are the Golden Company, Euron, and the Lannister forces. The Golden company are crazy expensive and the Iron Bank won't keep throwing good money after bad, if Dany refuses a decisive engagement she can bleed Cersei. Euron's strength is his teleporting fleet and if you can nail those fuckers down by sitting still and forcing them to attack you can neutralize the advantage of suprise and tell Yara she isn't allowed to be Lady Reaper of Pyke until she kills her uncle. The Lannisters own men can't be all that steadfast given that they've burned through leaders at an alarming rate and the head of the family killed Kevan and has ordered the deaths of her brothers, that doesn't really breed the kind of fighting spirit you need to fight dragons.

Or you could have Arya stab Cersei. Because there is no reason she shouldn't do that.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sun May 12, 2019 7:50 am

Andsed wrote:

But we know that wont happen as they only have two episodes left.

Bt yeah that would be the best bet for Daenerys, she could isolate Cersei in Kings Landing and rally the rest of the kingdoms to her side.

Lets look at it

Lannister Controlled/Aligned:
Westerlands (Though i imagine they dont have any real forces out there any more and the Unsullied abandoned Casterly Rock so its not under Targaryen Control)
Crownlands (Bar Dragonstone)

Targaryen Controlled/Aligned:
Crownlands (Dragonstone)
The North
The Vale
Dorne (New prince pledged his support they said in the last episode)
Iron Islands (Recently taken back by Yara Greyjoy)

Neutral/Divided/Up in the Air:
Riverlands (Freys are basically dead and i imagine the Lannisters abandoned the Riverlands to focus on the Capital. I imagine Riverlands houses will rally to Jon Snow and the Northern Army, Tullys might take over again.
Storm Lands (Basically have not been mentioned since Season 2, no idea what is going on there, but if Daenerys Informed the lords there that Gendry is now Lord of Storms End some of them might rally to her cause, others would probably be cautious)
The Reach (It was aligned with Daenerys initially, then the Tarley's and Lannisters sacked High Garden and killed the last of the Tyrells, i honestly dont know what the situation is like there now)

So Cersei really only controls one of the Kingdoms and the territory around Kings Landing, but her power is essentially limited to just the Capital and the seas around it. Dany on the other hand has 4 Kingdoms already on her side and the others are ripe for the taking. Taking a diplomatic route could easily land her a victory. I saw a great video on youtube last night about how the last episode could have went down a different route, and one of the main changes the guy made was Daenerys marched down the Kings Road with Jon and their armies combined, with him subservient to her (either riding behind her, or holding the reins of her horse) and slowly rallying houses and commoners to her side with publicity and compassion whilst Cersei sits isolated in the capital

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sun May 12, 2019 7:52 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Andsed wrote:

yeah but since this angle has never been brought up, I can only assume that in-universe/show its assumed Cersei has unlimited wealth/gold to pay them (even though Tywin said their gold mines ran dry many years ago); probably from High Garden

thematically, the Lannisters have always represented the power of cold hard cash
She had to sack the Reach's capital to get the gold to pay off Some of the Iron Bank Debt and get herself a mercenary army, her food transports where then destroyed by Daenerys.

I very much doubt she has unlimited gold, considering most of the Seven Kingdoms are in open conflict against her. Just because they had a writing fail (amongst many) doenst mean she has unlimited gold or wealth, just like Eurons ships had extra ballistas on the back but you couldnt see them but in universe they are there like you were babbling abotu the other day.

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Sun May 12, 2019 7:53 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:

The in universe explanation is that the Iron Bank is backing her, and Highgarden turned out to be filled with gold, food, and a lifetime supply of plot convenience. Highgardens wealth can't last forever and logically can't be that impressive because they didn't hire anybody and didn't actually seem to have much of an army. The bank would logically only finance her while she appeared to be a good prospect. She has a habit of breaking promises and is notably the character who has done the most to shatter the idea that Lannisters pay their debts. The fact that the Lannisters despite embodying and valuing wealth and power COULDN'T pay for everything and COULDN'T do anything was a big deal.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction