NATION

PASSWORD

ASoIAF/Game of Thrones general Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Thoughts on HOTD Episode Ten: "The Black Queen"

5 Stars
67%
4 Stars
8%
3 Stars
No votes
2 Stars
No votes
1 Star
17%
Not seen it yet
8%

Total votes : 12

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:46 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Platypus Bureaucracy wrote:Thought: what if ASoIaF is actually a piece of performance art? Hear me out:

One of the hallmarks of the series is how major characters can just die, leaving unfinished business, because that's what happens in real life. What if that's what GRRM's going for? He starts the series, then dies, leaving it unfinished. Because sometimes you just die and your story is never finished.

Only he lived much longer than he expected, so he's had to write slower and slower, and start other projects like Fire and Blood, because actually finishing the series would be the antithesis of what it's all about.

It's genius. Genius, I tell you!

then why would he tell the producers of the show how it ends?

More gold than even a Lannister can count.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:03 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
then why would he tell the producers of the show how it ends?

More gold than even a Lannister can count.

so you're saying he sold out his vision?

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:35 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:More gold than even a Lannister can count.

so you're saying he sold out his vision?

Not at all, he told his vision to the highest bidder. He gave then a completed outline when HBO bought it.

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:31 am

Silver Commonwealth wrote:Honestly, I am not sure, what to expect from season 8. I used to be a big GoT fan in the days, but now I only peek once in a while, if some new info comes about the last series. I haven't read the books yet, sadly.

I read someone describe the later seasons of Game of Thrones as pro-wrestling and it just fits so well. Expect lots of hype connecting major moments and sloppy writing that's designed to connect scenes together but not to bear any real analysis itself. You're supposed to be excited about the unexpected run-in during the title match and then not ever think about the guy who apparently told the A/V crew to queue up his music so his violent assault during an organized and televised sporting event could be more awesome.

I'm expecting really good actors doing really good work in pretty good scenes that are connected by chewing gum and the viewer's willingness to turn off their brain.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:49 am

Should I pay money to be able to play as Cersei Lannister in League of Legends? (it's like the price of a chocolate bar to get this character skin in a few weeks)

Take a look:

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/I710c_BPVM7s9PBL9mgfd40CSUU=/1400x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/16005665/IG_leblanc_turnaround.png

^

Come now. Does this NOT remind you of her? JUST A BIT?

Or am I watching too much Game of Thrones?

Anyone????
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:33 am

I think I will go see this today.

http://gothamist.com/2019/04/03/game_th ... center.php

God dammit, its gone.
Last edited by Ethel mermania on Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Auristania
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Auristania » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:20 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
Silver Commonwealth wrote:Honestly, I am not sure, what to expect from season 8. I used to be a big GoT fan in the days, but now I only peek once in a while, if some new info comes about the last series. I haven't read the books yet, sadly.

I read someone describe the later seasons of Game of Thrones as pro-wrestling and it just fits so well. Expect lots of hype connecting major moments and sloppy writing that's designed to connect scenes together but not to bear any real analysis itself. You're supposed to be excited about the unexpected run-in during the title match and then not ever think about the guy who apparently told the A/V crew to queue up his music so his violent assault during an organized and televised sporting event could be more awesome.

I'm expecting really good actors doing really good work in pretty good scenes that are connected by chewing gum and the viewer's willingness to turn off their brain.

Why? OK Harry Potter 7 was just phoned in because by that time fans would buy anything, but I am guessing GoT will maintain the quality. OK Jon Snow shagging his Aunt is cheap, but otherwise, I expect quality.

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:53 pm

Auristania wrote:Why? OK Harry Potter 7 was just phoned in because by that time fans would buy anything, but I am guessing GoT will maintain the quality. OK Jon Snow shagging his Aunt is cheap, but otherwise, I expect quality.

The quality has fallen off dramatically since season four. Things happen and stop happening for no clear reason and very little effort is taken to set the stage for things to have weight and make sense. The scenes are well written but they just don't connect well.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:15 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
Auristania wrote:Why? OK Harry Potter 7 was just phoned in because by that time fans would buy anything, but I am guessing GoT will maintain the quality. OK Jon Snow shagging his Aunt is cheap, but otherwise, I expect quality.

The quality has fallen off dramatically since season four. Things happen and stop happening for no clear reason and very little effort is taken to set the stage for things to have weight and make sense. The scenes are well written but they just don't connect well.

Thankfully they removed some of the weaker segments, such as Dorne. I mean they could have tried to improve it, but that could have served to just fuck it up more. Big issue for me last season was the pacing, it was just all over the place but other than that i quite liked it.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:18 pm

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
Des-Bal wrote:

Thankfully they removed some of the weaker segments, such as Dorne. I mean they could have tried to improve it, but that could have served to just fuck it up more. Big issue for me last season was the pacing, it was just all over the place but other than that i quite liked it.

Oh god don't even mention Dorne. That whole arc was just fucking awful.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:27 pm

Andsed wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Thankfully they removed some of the weaker segments, such as Dorne. I mean they could have tried to improve it, but that could have served to just fuck it up more. Big issue for me last season was the pacing, it was just all over the place but other than that i quite liked it.

Indigo montoya fighting the mountain was great. Maddy potemkin should have sued. The only thing missing was

HELLO, I am Indigo Montoya, you raped my sister, prepare to die.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:32 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Andsed wrote:Oh god don't even mention Dorne. That whole arc was just fucking awful.

Indigo montoya fighting the mountain was great. Maddy potemkin should have sued. The only thing missing was

HELLO, I am Indigo Montoya, you raped my sister, prepare to die.

Such a goood scene. One of my favourites of the entire show.
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:32 pm

Andsed wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Thankfully they removed some of the weaker segments, such as Dorne. I mean they could have tried to improve it, but that could have served to just fuck it up more. Big issue for me last season was the pacing, it was just all over the place but other than that i quite liked it.

They wasted fucking Bashir, that was the worst part of it.

Alexander Siddig man, he is a good actor, i liked him as Doran.
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:35 pm

The pacing was a problem but what threw me was that levelling the playing field ruined any real coherency in the world. The writers had to neutralize Daenarys's massive advantages and that took the form of crazy shit happening in a blunt yet confusing ways. Cersei fucked everything up with the Iron Bank? Highgarden was full of gold and their incredibly formidable army was destroyed off screen. Dany has the two nastiest fleets on the planet? Euron found a fleet under the couch and he locates and destroys both of them without expending any apparent effort. This isn't even going into that mess with Jon.

edit: We also undermined that great "Break the wheel" moment with Daenarys taking Jon prisoner and demanding fealty or death from the Tarlys. She is doing exactly what she complained about but she hasn't actually DONE enough for that to seem like a fall from grace rather than shitty writing.
Last edited by Des-Bal on Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:21 pm

Des-Bal wrote:

The pacing was a problem but what threw me was that levelling the playing field ruined any real coherency in the world. The writers had to neutralize Daenarys's massive advantages and that took the form of crazy shit happening in a blunt yet confusing ways. Cersei fucked everything up with the Iron Bank? Highgarden was full of gold and their incredibly formidable army was destroyed off screen. Dany has the two nastiest fleets on the planet? Euron found a fleet under the couch and he locates and destroys both of them without expending any apparent effort. This isn't even going into that mess with Jon.

edit: We also undermined that great "Break the wheel" moment with Daenarys taking Jon prisoner and demanding fealty or death from the Tarlys. She is doing exactly what she complained about but she hasn't actually DONE enough for that to seem like a fall from grace rather than shitty writing.

they could easily have made the Tyrells, Ironborn and the Dornish several independent factions instead of all a single alliance (emphasise their competing interests, cultural differences etc and why they don't want to align together).

Danny should just have been her own team, perceived as a "foreign invader."

Then it would be more plausible that the Lannisters could beat them one by one and stall against Danny.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:14 am

The season premier is almost here

Hype! Hype! Hype!

I’m going to buy up so much snacks for it.

Anyone here getting restless AF?

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:51 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:The season premier is almost here

Hype! Hype! Hype!

I’m going to buy up so much snacks for it.

Anyone here getting restless AF?

What is hype may never die.

Can lead to a lot of disappointment though. I find having a more measured composure and attitude towards thing im excited for helps a lot with enjoying those things.

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:22 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Des-Bal wrote:

they could easily have made the Tyrells, Ironborn and the Dornish several independent factions instead of all a single alliance (emphasise their competing interests, cultural differences etc and why they don't want to align together).

Danny should just have been her own team, perceived as a "foreign invader."

Then it would be more plausible that the Lannisters could beat them one by one and stall against Danny.

Sure they could have. But then they couldn't have wrapped up the story in 15 remaining episodes. So they just hit the DELETE button several times instead.
O'er the hills and o'er the main.
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain.
King George commands and we obey.
Over the hills and far away.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:02 pm

Full disclosure: mrs mermania has Been watching every episode since mid February. Tonite she finished. Her possible ending.

White walkers raid and destroy winterfell. Jon snow dies in the battle. Jamie Lannister keeps his word and comes to the side of Dyrass and plays some key role in the eventually winning the war and somewhere in the season kills Cersei.

Jamie and dynarass marry, and rule Westeros, Sansa honors Jon's bending the knees and remains warden of the north with arya at her side.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:29 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:Full disclosure: mrs mermania has Been watching every episode since mid February. Tonite she finished. Her possible ending.

White walkers raid and destroy winterfell. Jon snow dies in the battle. Jamie Lannister keeps his word and comes to the side of Dyrass and plays some key role in the eventually winning the war and somewhere in the season kills Cersei.

Jamie and dynarass marry, and rule Westeros, Sansa honors Jon's bending the knees and remains warden of the north with arya at her side.

Did you just say we will be seeing a King Jaime I?

King with the Golden Hand?

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:36 am

Ethel mermania wrote:Full disclosure: mrs mermania has Been watching every episode since mid February. Tonite she finished. Her possible ending.

I think either Jon or Daenerys will die, one of them at least. I like Jon more so im leaning towards him living and maybe Daenerys will sacrifice herself somehow to keep him alive and he will avenge her.
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:02 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:

I think either Jon or Daenerys will die, one of them at least. I like Jon more so im leaning towards him living and maybe Daenerys will sacrifice herself somehow to keep him alive and he will avenge her.

Remember this is a G.R.R.M novel, the more you like a character the more likely they are to die.

An idea For a new poll. Folks post their prediction for the end of the series and the group votes on the one they think will happen. (Not voting for their own).

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Platypus Bureaucracy
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Platypus Bureaucracy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:05 am

Magna Carta-esque proto-parliament.
Platypus of the non-venomous, egg-laying variety
Platypus Bureaucracy wrote:I will never stop being a gay platypus.

The Huskar Social Union wrote:You glorifted ducking wanabe sea pheasant

Platapusses are not rel

Ostroeuropa wrote:"Can we just eat SOME of the rich?"

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:10 am

Just a few days boyos then its back, the final season ahhh im excited.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:13 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Just a few days boyos then its back, the final season ahhh im excited.

Should I watch the first episode drunk as all hell or not is the question...

is it worth a hangover?
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction