NATION

PASSWORD

ASoIAF/Game of Thrones general Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Thoughts on HOTD Episode Ten: "The Black Queen"

5 Stars
67%
4 Stars
8%
3 Stars
No votes
2 Stars
No votes
1 Star
17%
Not seen it yet
8%

Total votes : 12

Valentir
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 23, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Valentir » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:38 pm

House Lannister! HEAR ME ROAR! Tywin, Jaime, Tyrion, even Cersei are all very interesting characters in my opinion. I also like the Baratheons, mainly Stannis.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:47 pm

Valentir wrote:House Lannister! HEAR ME ROAR! Tywin, Jaime, Tyrion, even Cersei are all very interesting characters in my opinion. I also like the Baratheons, mainly Stannis.

I am also a fan of Stannis, i support his claim to the throne the most as he is one of the few truly just and honourable men in the series despite his few dark moments, and i feel he would make a good and fair king. However i do admit that his rule would be very harsh and brutal where anyone he sees as treacherous or who has wronged/betrayed him or people he sees as good and honourable like Ned Stark etc being either killed or locked away for a long long time, though to be fair, most of them would probably deserve it but it would not make him a lot of allies once he is in power.

And that crazy red bitch melisandre... Who knows what she would do in that case, that alone would cause a whole heap of trouble.

He is also a witty badass as well, which is always good.
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:49 pm

Valentir wrote:House Lannister! HEAR ME ROAR! Tywin, Jaime, Tyrion, even Cersei are all very interesting characters in my opinion. I also like the Baratheons, mainly Stannis.

Stannis was a really great character in Season 2 but since then it seems they have done very little with him...

i find myself bored whenever they show him now =(

he's definitely an interesting character but i kind of don't like him because of his de facto religious fanaticism...

The Jonathanian States
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Jonathanian States » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:49 pm

Estormo wrote:The best house is Lannister, particularly Cersei.

Bullshit.
Stark above all. (North being up, on a map, they literally all, above all houses :p )
Then comes Tyrion, who is a magnificent Bastard on his own.
After come the Baratheons - Badass not-quite-as-crazy Targaryens,
Then come the Targaryens proper,
the Arryns,
Lannister, and then the rest.

Also, even of house Lanniser, Cersei is the worst.
Be it in terms of being loved, in terms of how they can manage/control power/the realm, or in terms of how much power they actually have.
Cersei fails the first test, has a 1 out of ten in the second and the same in the last one.
Spoilered because there are specifics which I do not mention, but this could reveal stuff.

Spoder wrote:
Estormo wrote:The best house is Lannister, particularly Cersei.

So, we meet again, you twisted SoaB.

The worst house is Lannister.
In order of horridness:
1. Joffrey
2. Ceresi
3. Tywin
4. Jaime
5. Tyrion

Lannister isn't necessarily the worst. They do have actual power, so it depends on what you rank? Are you ranking power? If so, they are quite high.
Also, I think that possibly Tywin should be under Jaime, while Cersei should possibly be above Joffrey as:
A)
She lives longer
B) He is younger, she is supposed to be a little wise than him with her age.

That of course shouldn't excuse any of them, but one should include those when comparing.
Estormo wrote:
Spoder wrote:So, we meet again, you twisted SoaB.

The worst house is Lannister.
In order of horridness:
1. Joffrey
2. Ceresi
3. Tywin
4. Jaime
5. Tyrion

Not quite, I bet it burns you inside knowing how Jaime offed Aerys. House Lannister rises above.

He killed him from the back. He is a honorless bastard, not literally.
Unlike his son.

Kevan - Dead
Tywin - Dead
Jaime - crippled and missing
Cersei - Completely Humiliated.
Lancel - Serves the Faith Militant

Spoder wrote:
Estormo wrote:Not quite, I bet it burns you inside knowing how Jaime offed Aerys. House Lannister rises above.

Jaime never deserved a white cloak.

Yep.
The Huskar Social Union wrote:
Spoder wrote:Jaime never deserved a white cloak.

Aerys game him the white cloak to piss off his father, because everyone said that Tywin ruled the kingdoms and he did not whilst he was the hand, and Aerys being the paranoid freak that he was...

True.....
Spoder wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Aerys game him the white cloak to piss off his father, because everyone said that Tywin ruled the kingdoms and he did not whilst he was the hand, and Aerys being the paranoid freak that he was...

Aerys went mad.
But he made for a better king than Joffrey.

Not quite..... but almost.
Had Joffrey lived longer, he probably would have

Estormo wrote:
Joffrey is dead, good night sweet prince.

Huzzah!
Spoder wrote:Aerys went mad.
But he made for a better king than Joffrey.

Eh.. i think they were of the same side of the coin. Joffrey was just as mad, and might end up being worse if he ruled for a long reign.

Exactly.
Chestaan wrote:
How deluded is Cersei? Her character drives me insane! She is such a poor ruler and she is no where near what her father was despite what she might think. I think we see her as she truly is when she is imprisoned by the High Septon, a weak fool who was no more fight to lead than Aerys.

Completely true.
When she allowed the High Septon to reopen the Faith Militant I thought I wasn't reading right. The thing had been shut down, in a war, for a reason.
I f*cking knew she'll pay for that.

Chestaan wrote:
How deluded is Cersei? Her character drives me insane! She is such a poor ruler and she is no where near what her father was despite what she might think. I think we see her as she truly is when she is imprisoned by the High Septon, a weak fool who was no more fight to lead than Aerys.

Agreed, the only twos she can use to try and keep order (which are failing horribly) are fear and murder which do nothing but make people more hostile to her house and alienate many possible allies. She has no idea what she is doing.

And even that barely.
Infected Mushroom wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:I was surprised we did not have one of these already, and since ive seen the need for one mentioned around some of the other threads i decided to make one myself. So here you go:

This thread is dedicated to the Epic A Song of Ice and Fire Series of Medieval Fantasy Books by American Author George RR Martin, also known as the Destroyer of Dreams and happiness. This thread will also extend to the HBO adaptation of the series, Game of Thrones named so after the first book in the series, which is currently in the run of its forth season, having just wrapped up episode two on Sunday/Monday.

FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT SPOILERS: Now not everyone is up to date on the show, so i will ask, nay demand (as it is my right to do so by all the laws of westeros and NS) that you spoiler any talk on the recent and future episodes of season 4, as well as season 3 as some people may not have finished it yet. For us book readers this also applies to anything that happens in the books around the same period in the story and in the future. As is the norm for threads like this. Address the spoiler of what you are talking about in regards to the show or books as such:

[Season 3 spoilers] [Season 4 episode 2 spoilers] [Book Spoilers Feast for Crows] etc etc to let people know whether or not they should read it.

Side Spoiler note: Now, i know some people may not have watched all of seasons 1 and 2, but since they have been out for a few years now, i will allow spoiler talk about events there. However, if enough people believe differently and ask me to, i will also ask for any talk on events in those seasons to be spoiler-ed as well.

So to start if off, what did you think of last episode?

My favorite character by a long mile is Jaime Lannister...

i have not read the books and only watch the show but am fanatically devoted to it.

I was too, but then I started reading the books. Do it, they are better.
Infected Mushroom wrote:the two characters i dislike the most are Cersei Lannister and Margery Tyrell. Cersei is like a Margaret Thatcher on super steroids in terms of level of ruthlessness (the only character who is worse that I have ever seen is Claire Underwood from House of Cards)...

Margery is too manipulative and too much of a slut. I know people say she does what she does to survive or for a greater good etc but I don't like women who use their sexuality to get ahead, i just can't stand such characters...

I suppose I disagree with you on Margaery, though I agree with you about Cersei.

WINTER IS COMING!
I ain't kidding, it is coming.......

Also
THE KING IN THE NORTH!
THE NORTH REMEMBERS!
Returned Nationstater -- You can leave Nationstates but Nationstates won't leave you.
Call me Jon, John, or Johnny, Jonathan or Jonnyboy, tJS and Jonathanian, with "states" or without.
This nation doesn't really represent my views and sarcasm is awesome.

Valentir
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 23, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Valentir » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:50 pm

I am also a fan of Stannis, i support his claim to the throne the most as he is one of the few truly just and honourable men in the series despite his few dark moments, and i feel he would make a good and fair king. However i do admit that his rule would be very harsh and brutal where anyone he sees as treacherous or who has wronged/betrayed him or people he sees as good and honourable like Ned Stark etc being either killed or locked away for a long long time, though to be fair, most of them would probably deserve it but it would not make him a lot of allies once he is in power.

And that crazy red bitch melisandre... Who knows what she would do in that case, that alone would cause a whole heap of trouble.

I to supports Stannis's Claim. I fear the his reign would be a short one. He isn't very well liked, and Mel may not like it, but he will HAVE to ditch R'hllor in order to rule the Seven Kingdoms.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:54 pm

Valentir wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:I am also a fan of Stannis, i support his claim to the throne the most as he is one of the few truly just and honourable men in the series despite his few dark moments, and i feel he would make a good and fair king. However i do admit that his rule would be very harsh and brutal where anyone he sees as treacherous or who has wronged/betrayed him or people he sees as good and honourable like Ned Stark etc being either killed or locked away for a long long time, though to be fair, most of them would probably deserve it but it would not make him a lot of allies once he is in power.

I to supports Stannis's Claim. I fear the his reign would be a short one. He isn't very well liked, and Mel may not like it, but he will HAVE to ditch R'hllor in order to rule the Seven Kingdoms.

i don't care who sits on it at the end...

so long as it's not Daenerys... just not her please... i really don't like her character...

i'd even let Baelish be King before her...

The Jonathanian States
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Jonathanian States » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:59 pm

Yeah, after J. Snow, Ned and Son, and Tyrion he is my favorite character, for those reasons.
Valentir wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:I am also a fan of Stannis, i support his claim to the throne the most as he is one of the few truly just and honourable men in the series despite his few dark moments, and i feel he would make a good and fair king. However i do admit that his rule would be very harsh and brutal where anyone he sees as treacherous or who has wronged/betrayed him or people he sees as good and honourable like Ned Stark etc being either killed or locked away for a long long time, though to be fair, most of them would probably deserve it but it would not make him a lot of allies once he is in power.

I doubt that.
The Lannister command is Broken, with Cersei probably taking over.
The stormlands will be too busy fighting Aegon, who might be supported by Dorne.
The North might rally to Stannis if he beats Bolton at Winterfell, or if the Night's Watch crushes Bolton.
The Iron Bank of Braavos will sponsor him too.
And as there already are areas which do not have the IT King's religion (North, Iron Islands) he should be able to rule as a believer of R'hollor.
Infected Mushroom wrote:
Valentir wrote:I to supports Stannis's Claim. I fear the his reign would be a short one. He isn't very well liked, and Mel may not like it, but he will HAVE to ditch R'hllor in order to rule the Seven Kingdoms.

i don't care who sits on it at the end...

so long as it's not Daenerys... just not her please... i really don't like her character...

i'd even let Baelish be King before her...

What? Why?
I think she's one of the better characters.
And considering she seems to be a merciful, though also ruthless, person, who
Has dragons
and
rode one of them
, additionally,
commands Unsullied, those are badasses, and Ser Barristan.
while having a good claim, and possible friends in Dorne or other areas.
Returned Nationstater -- You can leave Nationstates but Nationstates won't leave you.
Call me Jon, John, or Johnny, Jonathan or Jonnyboy, tJS and Jonathanian, with "states" or without.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:01 pm

Valentir wrote:

Yeah, he also says in
That half of his army, including his northern allies are made up of unbelievers and he would not force them to change their beliefs and that there would be no sacrifices on those who refuse to

But that woman has her ways as we all know.
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:03 pm

The Jonathanian States wrote:
What? Why?
Has dragons
and
rode one of them
, additionally,

i don't know, i just feel she's really entitled, power-hungry, and ruthless. Her sense of moral superiority can also be off-putting to me at times. But she's a popular character... i just hope she doesn't win in the end =)

The Jonathanian States
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Jonathanian States » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:06 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
What? Why?
Has dragons
and
rode one of them
, additionally,

i don't know, i just feel she's really entitled, power-hungry, and ruthless. Her sense of moral superiority can also be off-putting to me at times. But she's a popular character... i just hope she doesn't win in the end =)

Let's agree to disagree.
Valentir wrote:I to supports Stannis's Claim. I fear the his reign would be a short one. He isn't very well liked, and Mel may not like it, but he will HAVE to ditch R'hllor in order to rule the Seven Kingdoms.

Yeah, he also says in
That half of his army, including his northern allies are made up of unbelievers and he would not force them to change their beliefs and that there would be no sacrifices on those who refuse to

Yeah.
Speaking of Dance with Dragons,
Stannis really is a badass. Not as much as his brother (which angers him each time somebody compares him to Robert), but he is a proper Stormlord, doing his name honor.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:09 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:

Let's agree to disagree.
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Yeah, he also says in

Yeah.
Stannis really is a badass. Not as much as his brother (which angers him each time somebody compares him to Robert), but he is a proper Stormlord, doing his name honor.

Yeah, i hope he murders those bolton bastards at winterfell and raises the crowned stag from its ramparts, alongside the stark direwolf

Stannis the Mannis! bringing the ruckus 300AL!

I cant wait for Winds of Winter which hopefully, will be done with the editing by the end of the year and released sometime next year. edit: Atleast i think it is in the final editing phases, i cant remember.
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:14 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:

Let's agree to disagree.

k

The Jonathanian States
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Jonathanian States » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:17 pm

The Jonathanian States wrote:Let's agree to disagree.

Yeah.

Yeah, i hope he murders those bolton bastards at winterfell and raises the crowned stag from its ramparts, alongside the stark direwolf

I cant wait to Winds of Winter which hopefully, will be done with the editing by the end of the year and released sometime next year. edit: Atleast i think it is in the final editing phases, i cant remember.

Ramsay claimed that he won against Stannis in his letter to Jon.
But Seeing as Stannis got a visit from multiple Karstark outriders a few chapters before that, I think he's bluffing.
Regardless, he has pulled Jon Snow, and the whole of the Watch with its Wilding support again the Dreadfort!
Jon snow has like become my favorite living character, being all that badass 'n stuff.

Really? I can't wait that long!!

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:23 pm

I cant wait to Winds of Winter which hopefully, will be done with the editing by the end of the year and released sometime next year. edit: Atleast i think it is in the final editing phases, i cant remember.

But Seeing as Stannis got a visit from multiple Karstark outriders a few chapters before that, I think he's bluffing.
Regardless, he has pulled Jon Snow, and the whole of the Watch with its Wilding support again the Dreadfort!
Jon snow has like become my favorite living character, being all that badass 'n stuff.

I honestly cant remember, he says it will be done when its done and that he has over 1000 pages in the manuscript but i remember reading a few weeks ago, and that my brother told me today yesterday that it was done and was in the stages of editing, but i cant not find the damn article i read. Its really annoying.

Yeah i doubt that letter has even a shred of truth in it other than the stuff about the wildling women that went to rescue "arya" with mance, i think he is just trying to screw with Jon.

He was also alerted to the Karstark Plot to betray him by Jon and the Iron Bank Representative and he had them arrested holding their men as prisoners.

The Jonathanian States
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Jonathanian States » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:25 pm

I still have to read that sample.
Is it good? Are there any interesting insights?
(Without actually spoiling them?)

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:35 pm

The Jonathanian States wrote:I still have to read that sample.
Is it good? Are there any interesting insights?
(Without actually spoiling them?)

I wont say anything about the chapter itself but ill leave this link here which has some of the Winds of Winter sample chapters. The one i was talking about is called
Theon I
so if you want to read it and the other ones there here you go:

Spoilers for Winds of Winter:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4uB5dqTYBLwSmNzUVE3M1VHZVE/edit?pli=1

The Jonathanian States
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Jonathanian States » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:36 pm

A Dance with Dragons also has a chapter, so I'll read that first.
But thanks.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:37 pm

The Jonathanian States wrote:A Dance with Dragons also has a chapter, so I'll read that first.
But thanks.

No problem.

Emilio Aguinaldo
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Emilio Aguinaldo » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:13 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:

i don't care who sits on it at the end

We don’t need nor care for the iron chair! We have our own king! Long live Robb Stark, the King in the North! Oh he dies..uh..okay.
Emilio Aguinaldo wrote:Grab your gun, point it at bad guy, pull trigger.

The Jonathanian States
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Jonathanian States » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:24 pm

Emilio Aguinaldo wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
i don't care who sits on it at the end

We don’t need nor care for the iron chair! We have our own king! Long live Robb Stark, the King in the North! Oh he dies..uh..okay.

Then we'll crown another one.

We have a group of Starks to crown, and after those we always can resort back to the Karstarks.
Also, about Robb
His Mother ain't quite dead. Who knows, maybe we'll see him return too.

EDIT:
Yes, I do know that Dondarrion died for it, so that we probably won't see that happening, but hey, this is George R.R. Martin, everything's possible.
Last edited by The Jonathanian States on Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Emilio Aguinaldo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Emilio Aguinaldo » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:27 pm

Emilio Aguinaldo wrote:We don’t need nor care for the iron chair! We have our own king! Long live Robb Stark, the King in the North! Oh he dies..uh..okay.

Then we'll crown another one.

We have a group of Starks to crown, and after those we always can resort back to the Karstarks.
Also, about Robb
His Mother ain't quite dead. Who knows, maybe we'll see him return too.

EDIT:
Yes, I do know that Dondarrion died for it, so that we probably won't see that happening, but hey, this is George R.R. Martin, everything's possible.

Aegon is still the rightful heir.

The Jonathanian States
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Jonathanian States » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:38 pm

Spoiler that damn thing!!
(I knew that, but others won't)

EDIT:
Though to give a proper reply.
That may be true, but only for the Iron Throne. We are speaking about the Kingdom in the North.
I count the right to independence of the single kingdoms as higher than the right of the heir/ess to the Iron Throne to conquer all of them.

That being said, I'm a Northern Irredentist, so what do I know.
Last edited by The Jonathanian States on Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Emilio Aguinaldo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Emilio Aguinaldo » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:44 pm

The Jonathanian States wrote:Spoiler that damn thing!!

EDIT:
That may be true, but only for the Iron Throne. We are speaking about the Kingdom in the North.
I count the right to independence of the single kingdoms as higher than the right of the heir/ess to the Iron Throne to conquer all of them.

Fuck people who hates spoilers and their stupid argument of "Oh, I can’t enjoy it anymore because you spoiled it." BITCH! THE ENTIRE LOTR TRILOGY WAS SPOILED TO ME AND IT WAS STILL GREAT! A good movie/show is still great even if you spoil it. A crap movie will be more.crap if it is spoiled.

Spoder
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Spoder » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:01 pm

Emilio Aguinaldo wrote:
The Jonathanian States wrote:Spoiler that damn thing!!

EDIT:

Fuck people who hates spoilers and their stupid argument of "Oh, I can’t enjoy it anymore because you spoiled it." BITCH! THE ENTIRE LOTR TRILOGY WAS SPOILED TO ME AND IT WAS STILL GREAT! A good movie/show is still great even if you spoil it. A crap movie will be more.crap if it is spoiled.

Not every man is made from the same mold.
Legalize gay weed
Time to get aesthetic.
I support insanely high tax rates, do you?

Charellia
Minister

Founded: Jul 24, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Charellia » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:28 pm

The Night's Watch isn't going to stop Ramsay. They aren't allowed to interfere in the affairs of the realm. Jon Snow tried to get them to interfere and they mutinied (more over the wildlings but that was part of it). I'm not sure you can really say that Jon is your favourite living character at this point. Various forms of possible resurrection not withstanding he seems pretty dead.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction