NATION

PASSWORD

Many Bothans Died To Bring You THE STAR WARS THREAD

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which is your favorite sentient Star Wars race?

Wookies. Because fur is hot... And murder.
8%
Twi'leks. Because slugs are hot.
27%
Tusken Raiders. A little rape fantasy never hurt anybody.
7%
Jawas. Lots of little hands touching me is hot.
4%
Hutts. BIG. NASTY. RUDE. SWEATY. HOT.
3%
Ewoks. Because creepy ugly teddy bears are hot.
6%
Bothans. I hear they die a lot. And that's hot.
5%
Trandoshans. Because lizards are hot.
2%
Rodians. Because... I don't know anymore. Reptilian ant-eaters are hot?
3%
Other. Because my God there's a lot of alien species in Star Wars. And they're ALL hot.
35%

Total votes : 491

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:11 pm

Bezombia wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:
It's amazing how both useful and stupid the Rule of Two is, though I suppose that's more the fault of Sith ideological practices in general as opposed to the Rules themselves. Maybe I understand it wrong? Can there be more than literally two Sith, or is it just that there can be only one master to one apprentice?

Ah, I was thinking of that one fucked-up corpse Darth from KOTOR 2, but I remember now he had a different name.

Jed-based as in based in lawful goodness? No wonder the Republic sucks afterwards.

Back before Ruusan, the Sith was a massive empire. This basically meant that the Jedi could declare war on them at any time.
Bane came up with the rule of two to make the Sith powerful but secret, so they could bide their time until the Jedi were weak enough to be destroyed.

That was Nihilus.

Jedi-based as in the Jedi pretty much controlled the Republic rather than being the Republic. The Reformations also founded the Senate and made the Chancellor a mostly arbitrary position.2

... Could they? I thought the Jedi were about peace. They wouldn't actively pursue war. Besides, in KOTOR, wasn't the war driven by the newly-Sith Revan and Malak? Sure, the Jedi can sever your connection to the Force, but that's if they catch you or if they find out, and that's a maybe. Maybe they could just leave like the Dark Jedi from before KOTOR did.

How would the Sith Lords regulate that? If Bane had opponents, would they have to abide by it? What if even his followers still wanted to be powerful?
Last edited by The Rich Port on Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:12 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Bezombia wrote:
Back before Ruusan, the Sith was a massive empire. This basically meant that the Jedi could declare war on them at any time.
Bane came up with the rule of two to make the Sith powerful but secret, so they could bide their time until the Jedi were weak enough to be destroyed.

That was Nihilus.

Jedi-based as in the Jedi pretty much controlled the Republic rather than being the Republic. The Reformations also founded the Senate and made the Chancellor a mostly arbitrary position.2

... Could they? I thought the Jedi were about peace. They wouldn't actively pursue war. Besides, in KOTOR, wasn't the war driven by the newly-Sith Revan and Malak? Sure, the Jedi can sever your connection to the Force, but that's if they catch you or if they find out, and that's a maybe. Maybe they could just leave like the Dark Jedi from before KOTOR did.

How would the Sith Lords regulate that? If Bane had opponents, would they have to abide by it? What if even his followers still wanted to be powerful?

Don't forget that Revan was a jedi, too.

I cannot answer that question without spoiling the book...
Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon...but down this road we've been so many times...
Please, call me Benomia. Post count +14623, founded Oct. 23, 2012.
Sauritican wrote:We've all been spending too much time with Ben
Verdum wrote:Hey girl, is your name Karl Marx? Because your starting an uprising in my lower classes.
Black Hand wrote:New plan is to just make thousands of disposable firearms and dump them out of cargo planes with tiny drag chutes attached.
Spreewerke wrote:The metric system is the only measurement system that truly meters.
Spreewerke wrote:Salt the women, rape the earth.
Equestican wrote:Ben is love, Ben is life.
Sediczja wrote:real eyes realize real lies
I'm a poet. Come read my poems!

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:16 pm

Bezombia wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

Don't forget that Revan was a jedi, too.

I cannot answer that question without spoiling the book...

Well, yeah, but then he became a Sith. And then he was brainwashed by the Jedi after becoming a Sith. He was just corrupted by the Dark Side.

Meh... OK. I guess I'll look 'em up.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:43 am

Murkwood wrote:I just saw The People Vs. George Lucas. Great film.

Just by looking at the name, I can get the gist of it, but are the people complaining about the prequels, or TCW?

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:28 am

Merizoc wrote:
Murkwood wrote:I just saw The People Vs. George Lucas. Great film.

Just by looking at the name, I can get the gist of it, but are the people complaining about the prequels, or TCW?

Specifically, lots of Jar Jar Binks. :lol:

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:05 pm

I've been looking for a resource to help me learn some Huttese, as a character in this fanfic I'm writing it supposed to speak it fluently. I've even discovered a way to not make it purely gratuitous.

Unfortunately, I've yet to find one that is particularly helpful. Mostly it's just dictionaries, which don't really help at forming sentences. I've been thinking about compiling a comprehensive lesson on here, for everyone to use!

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:22 pm

The Rich Port wrote:I've been looking for a resource to help me learn some Huttese, as a character in this fanfic I'm writing it supposed to speak it fluently. I've even discovered a way to not make it purely gratuitous.

Unfortunately, I've yet to find one that is particularly helpful. Mostly it's just dictionaries, which don't really help at forming sentences. I've been thinking about compiling a comprehensive lesson on here, for everyone to use!

You aren't going to find more than that, because there hasn't been much development of it.
Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon...but down this road we've been so many times...
Verdum wrote:Hey girl, is your name Karl Marx? Because your starting an uprising in my lower classes.
Black Hand wrote:New plan is to just make thousands of disposable firearms and dump them out of cargo planes with tiny drag chutes attached.
Spreewerke wrote:The metric system is the only measurement system that truly meters.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:08 pm

Bezombia wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:I've been looking for a resource to help me learn some Huttese, as a character in this fanfic I'm writing it supposed to speak it fluently. I've even discovered a way to not make it purely gratuitous.

You aren't going to find more than that, because there hasn't been much development of it.

Absolutely. Which is good, because I could just make words up for words that don't exist yet, or don't, for plot convenience. I just need to get the foundations down; once I do that, I can start forming new sentences than the ones that are "most commonly used". And bad, unfortunately, because sometimes not even the foundations are solid. What I need (what most people need to understand languages, really) is how to string words together so they make sense and communicate a message properly.

For that, I need conjunctions, pronouns, maybe modifiers, though to my understanding those are not necessary in Huttese, as are some pronouns and conjunctions basically made moot, as without them the sentence would properly convey it's message to a Huttese speaker, though not necessarily translate well to English.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:05 pm

So, how exactly do people get around in the Star Wars universe?

I get hyperspace and lightspeed, but which is more commonly used?

What about just using the ion engines?

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:23 pm

The Rich Port wrote:So, how exactly do people get around in the Star Wars universe?

Lightspeed is just the term used to refer to the speed of a ship in hyperspace. Hyperspace itself, is another dimension, a sort of parallel universe that ships jump into so they can move through realspace more quickly. If they used ion engines to get around anywhere, it would take hundreds of thousands of years.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:26 pm

Merizoc wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:So, how exactly do people get around in the Star Wars universe?

Lightspeed is just the term used to refer to the speed of a ship in hyperspace. Hyperspace itself, is another dimension, a sort of parallel universe that ships jump into so they can move through realspace more quickly. If they used ion engines to get around anywhere, it would take hundreds of thousands of years.

Ah, that's where my confusion was. I thought lightspeed was a separate thing from hyperspace.

Well, duh. I just thought you could put ion engines into lightspeed to get to places faster. Do you need fuel for hyperspace?

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:32 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Merizoc wrote:Lightspeed is just the term used to refer to the speed of a ship in hyperspace. Hyperspace itself, is another dimension, a sort of parallel universe that ships jump into so they can move through realspace more quickly. If they used ion engines to get around anywhere, it would take hundreds of thousands of years.

Well, duh. I just thought you could put ion engines into lightspeed to get to places faster. Do you need fuel for hyperspace?

I don't think it would work like that. Its probable like real-life physics. The speed of light does not get added to the speed of the source. For example, the speed of the light coming from my bike headlight is the speed of light, not the speed of light + 15mph. I don't think that adding anything else to the hyperdrive engines would do anything. To answer your fuel question, yes, they do.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:33 pm

Merizoc wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:Well, duh. I just thought you could put ion engines into lightspeed to get to places faster. Do you need fuel for hyperspace?

I don't think it would work like that. Its probable like real-life physics. The speed of light does not get added to the speed of the source. For example, the speed of the light coming from my bike headlight is the speed of light, not the speed of light + 15mph. I don't think that adding anything else to the hyperdrive engines would do anything. To answer your fuel question, yes, they do.

What's the fuel?

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:42 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Merizoc wrote:I don't think it would work like that. Its probable like real-life physics. The speed of light does not get added to the speed of the source. For example, the speed of the light coming from my bike headlight is the speed of light, not the speed of light + 15mph. I don't think that adding anything else to the hyperdrive engines would do anything. To answer your fuel question, yes, they do.

What's the fuel?

They have a bunch of different things found on different planets. I imagine they all have slightly different properties.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:48 pm

Merizoc wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:
What's the fuel?

They have a bunch of different things found on different planets. I imagine they all have slightly different properties.

Oh, yeah, I remember that one asteroid mine in KOTOR 2 that had that crappy fuel that was still super important.

Peragus, right?

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:50 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Merizoc wrote:They have a bunch of different things found on different planets. I imagine they all have slightly different properties.

Oh, yeah, I remember that one asteroid mine in KOTOR 2 that had that crappy fuel that was still super important.

Peragus, right?

Yeah, it wrecks your engines or something. :unsure:

The Sotoan Union
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sotoan Union » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:44 pm

I think hyper drives are just powered by the ships's electricity. All you need is the hyper drive itself. Ion engines are powered by hyppermatter, which is a lot like anti-matter.
Last edited by The Sotoan Union on Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Sotoan Union
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sotoan Union » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:47 pm

You know what I think is really stupid, the plot of Epsiode VI. What was the emperor's plan to make Luke his apprentice? Hey you killed Darth Vader now you have to join me, a stranger you don't know, and help me kill all your friends.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:08 pm

The Sotoan Union wrote:You know what I think is really stupid, the plot of Epsiode VI. What was the emperor's plan to make Luke his apprentice? Hey you killed Darth Vader now you have to join me, a stranger you don't know, and help me kill all your friends.

The Emperor hoped to turn Luke to the dark side. The dark side can be tempting, and can corrupt, and if Luke had killed Vader out of anger, it was very possible that he would have fallen.

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:18 pm

The Sotoan Union wrote:You know what I think is really stupid, the plot of Epsiode VI. What was the emperor's plan to make Luke his apprentice? Hey you killed Darth Vader now you have to join me, a stranger you don't know, and help me kill all your friends.

*sigh*

Vader was flawed. Palpatine knew this. Now how he's half robot. He needed a new apprentice to replace Vader. Originally this was going to be Malek, but that didn't really work out too well so he turned to Luke instead.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:41 pm

Merizoc wrote:

The Emperor hoped to turn Luke to the dark side. The dark side can be tempting, and can corrupt, and if Luke had killed Vader out of anger, it was very possible that he would have fallen.

Honestly, I find the light side can be equally as destructive. Hell, the old Jedi Council permitted the creation of the very thing that it battles against to this day.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

The Sotoan Union
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sotoan Union » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:07 pm

Bezombia wrote:

*sigh*

Vader was flawed. Palpatine knew this. Now how he's half robot. He needed a new apprentice to replace Vader. Originally this was going to be Malek, but that didn't really work out too well so he turned to Luke instead.

I'm not disputing that he would fall to the dark side, he would. But that doesn't automatically make him Palpatine's apprentice. In his anger and rage I think he would be more likely to attack Palpatine then to join him. So again how was Luke supposed to replace Darth Vader. Being a fallen Jedi doesn't automatically mean he is just going to surrender to Palpatine and betray his friends.

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:10 pm

The Sotoan Union wrote:
Bezombia wrote:
*sigh*

I'm not disputing that he would fall to the dark side, he would. But that doesn't automatically make him Palpatine's apprentice. In his anger and rage I think he would be more likely to attack Palpatine then to join him. So again how was Luke supposed to replace Darth Vader. Being a fallen Jedi doesn't automatically mean he is just going to surrender to Palpatine and betray his friends.

Which is why Palpatine would work to get Luke to join him willingly, just like he did with Anakin.

Aeken
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeken » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:49 pm

I'm waiting for BF3.

The Sotoan Union
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sotoan Union » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:49 pm

Bezombia wrote:
The Sotoan Union wrote:I'm not disputing that he would fall to the dark side, he would. But that doesn't automatically make him Palpatine's apprentice. In his anger and rage I think he would be more likely to attack Palpatine then to join him. So again how was Luke supposed to replace Darth Vader. Being a fallen Jedi doesn't automatically mean he is just going to surrender to Palpatine and betray his friends.

Which is why Palpatine would work to get Luke to join him willingly, just like he did with Anakin.

Anakin joined willingly because he believed that Palpatine could save his wife, and because he attacked Mace Windu and had no choice but to leave the order. Palpatine had no such connection with Luke. Everything Luke cared about was fighting against Palpatine.

Palpatine actually had a personal connection to Anakin, he had no connection with Luke.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction