NATION

PASSWORD

Computer General Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which OS do YOU use?

Windows
75%
Linux/Unix
14%
Mac
9%
OS/2
1%
DOS
1%
Phantom OS
0%
Croquet
1%

Total votes : 878

YellowApple
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby YellowApple » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:11 pm

For that money, I'd just buy a top-of-the-line GPU and, like, 50 monitors from the local thrift shop ;)

Between those three, though, I'd probably go with the ViewSonic.

Mallorea and Riva should resign
Member of the One True Faith and Church. Join The Church of Derpy today!

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:40 pm

Industrial Republics wrote:
Minoa wrote:Is the laptop meeting the right system requirements? The system requirements are usually the bare minimum: usually one needs a lot more for maximum settings: this is why I just went straight to 6700K, which was Intel's most powerful i7 at the time, largely due to my photo editing, virtual machines and virtual servers.

Could also just be overheating, considering it's a laptop.

Yea, laptops don't tend to do great with heat.

The cooler you can keep your computer is generally the better.

Also, Linux, always use a Linux distro if you want a less demanding OS that will not spike your computer's temperature as a punishment for just existing.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:36 am

Cross-quoted for better relevance:
Philjia wrote:Google Home has been indoctrinated by alt-right propaganda!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39181722

Recalling from the Tay saga, this is why I am insisting in Windows 10 Enterprise when 2020 comes, which allows me to not have all these "Smart" features like Cortana, as well as disable telemetry.* The problem is I can't get it retail, even just one perpetual licence for just one computer. The best retail version is Pro, which doesn't let you disable telemetry.

* It is also because I do large-scale virtualisation like a malware analyst or a curator that regularly relives operating systems from the past.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

Industrial Republics
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Industrial Republics » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:57 pm

Minoa wrote:Cross-quoted for better relevance:
Philjia wrote:Google Home has been indoctrinated by alt-right propaganda!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39181722

Recalling from the Tay saga, this is why I am insisting in Windows 10 Enterprise when 2020 comes, which allows me to not have all these "Smart" features like Cortana, as well as disable telemetry.* The problem is I can't get it retail, even just one perpetual licence for just one computer. The best retail version is Pro, which doesn't let you disable telemetry.

* It is also because I do large-scale virtualisation like a malware analyst or a curator that regularly relives operating systems from the past.

Good luck, Microsoft is going full Apple route. Closer of all avenues and slowly boiling away any privacy.

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:51 pm

Industrial Republics wrote:
Minoa wrote:Cross-quoted for better relevance:

Good luck, Microsoft is going full Apple route. Closer of all avenues and slowly boiling away any privacy.

That sounds pessimistic like my mind, although I just got out of bed.
Last edited by Minoa on Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:56 am

Minoa wrote:
Nordengrund wrote:
Can I do that on safe mode? Some features work on normal mode but won't work on safe mode and vise versa.

Explorer/File Browser does work in safe mode.

If it doesn't, I would use a live USB/CD at that stage to retrieve your photos first.

As a side note, I need to know exactly what errors you are getting when working in normal startup. Is it a stop error? Are there any error messages? Are there any messages claiming that your system is infected (a sign of rogue anti-viruses)? And is it Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10?

There's nothing claiming that my system is infected. As for Win+R, what do I type in?

Also, how can I check on my hard drive to see if it is failing or not?

The photos aren't super important, they're just pictures I took on a trip.
Last edited by Nordengrund on Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 John 1:9

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:07 am

Nordengrund wrote:
Minoa wrote:Explorer/File Browser does work in safe mode.

If it doesn't, I would use a live USB/CD at that stage to retrieve your photos first.

As a side note, I need to know exactly what errors you are getting when working in normal startup. Is it a stop error? Are there any error messages? Are there any messages claiming that your system is infected (a sign of rogue anti-viruses)? And is it Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10?

There's nothing claiming that my system is infected. As for Win+R, what do I type in?

Also, how can I check on my hard drive to see if it is failing or not?

The photos aren't super important, they're just pictures I took on a trip.

In Run, type "explorer" and press enter.

For checking the health of the hard disk, I use CrystalDiskInfo.

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:26 am

I did that, but it says the server process could not be started because the configured identity is incorrect. What does that mean and what do I do about it?

I can go to browse on Run, and find where my pictures are stored, and the folders displays them, but whenever I click on the folders, it says they are empty.

Mozilla and Chrome say I need to update plugins or add ons to watch videos that are part of my online homework. It said the same thing when I went on to a school computer. Is this a sign of a virus?
Last edited by Nordengrund on Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:53 am

Nordengrund wrote:I did that, but it says the server process could not be started because the configured identity is incorrect. What does that mean and what do I do about it?

I can go to browse on Run, and find where my pictures are stored, and the folders displays them, but whenever I click on the folders, it says they are empty.

Mozilla and Chrome say I need to update plugins or add ons to watch videos that are part of my online homework. It said the same thing when I went on to a school computer. Is this a sign of a virus?

Quoting from Chuck GCS at Microsoft Community Support (sadly, no direct link to their post, dated 21 December 2014):

From the run command, type "msconfig" and press enter.

Under the Boot tab, check "Safe boot" and select "Active Directory Repair" under it, and click Apply.

You might have to reboot twice.

As for Mozilla and Chrome, they will inform you if Flash is out of date. Only download the new version of Flash from the official website (and uncheck any offers).
Last edited by Minoa on Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:17 pm

Minoa wrote:
Nordengrund wrote:I did that, but it says the server process could not be started because the configured identity is incorrect. What does that mean and what do I do about it?

Quoting from Chuck GCS at Microsoft Community Support (sadly, no direct link to their post, dated 21 December 2014):

Under the Boot tab, check "Safe boot" and select "Active Directory Repair" under it, and click Apply.

As for Mozilla and Chrome, they will inform you if Flash is out of date. Only download the new version of Flash from the official website (and uncheck any offers).

Thanks! I did ask around on the Microsoft Forum, but my thread seems to be dead.

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:19 pm

Nordengrund wrote:
Minoa wrote:Quoting from Chuck GCS at Microsoft Community Support (sadly, no direct link to their post, dated 21 December 2014):

Thanks! I did ask around on the Microsoft Forum, but my thread seems to be dead.

From what I have read, Microsoft Forum seems to be unattractive due to widespread use of stock/scripted replies by team members.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:13 pm

Minoa wrote:

Actually, Chrome is different now: it has Flash built in, so you can just go to the about:plugins page and do it from there.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:26 pm

I tried running CHKDSK, but my PC said I do not have sufficient privileges. I made sure I was running Adminsitrator.

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:40 pm

Nordengrund wrote:I tried running CHKDSK, but my PC said I do not have sufficient privileges. I made sure I was running Adminsitrator.

Hi, this is because of User Account Control.

When you type "cmd" in the Start Menu, right click on the result and select "Run as administrator". When the command prompt window opens, type:

Code: Select all
chkdsk /r

"/r" tells "chkdsk" to locate and recover bad sectors.

Ashihara no Nakatsukuni
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ashihara no Nakatsukuni » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:16 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Minoa wrote:Quoting from Chuck GCS at Microsoft Community Support (sadly, no direct link to their post, dated 21 December 2014):

Actually, Chrome is different now: it has Flash built in, so you can just go to the about:plugins page and do it from there.

And we don't know if it was actually asking for flash, it could've been something much worse... java.

YellowApple
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby YellowApple » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:23 pm

Ashihara no Nakatsukuni wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

And we don't know if it was actually asking for flash, it could've been something much worse... java.

Or even worse than that...

...Silverlight.

Mallorea and Riva should resign
Member of the One True Faith and Church. Join The Church of Derpy today!

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:05 am

Minoa wrote:
Nordengrund wrote:I tried running CHKDSK, but my PC said I do not have sufficient privileges. I made sure I was running Adminsitrator.

Hi, this is because of User Account Control.

When you type "cmd" in the Start Menu, right click on the result and select "Run as administrator". When the command prompt window opens, type:

chkdsk /r

I can't access the Start Menu :(

Ashihara no Nakatsukuni
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ashihara no Nakatsukuni » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:31 pm

YellowApple wrote:
Ashihara no Nakatsukuni wrote:And we don't know if it was actually asking for flash, it could've been something much worse... java.

Or even worse than that...

...Silverlight.

True, this is an educational institution so that is entirely likely. I think a lot of places were moving to Blackboard, which required java.

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:35 am

Nordengrund wrote:
Minoa wrote:Hi, this is because of User Account Control.

chkdsk /r

I have previously asked if you used Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10, because I am aware of https://www.tenforums.com/general-suppo ... rking.html but it relates to Windows 10.

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:29 am

Minoa wrote:
Nordengrund wrote:

I have previously asked if you used Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10, because I am aware of https://www.tenforums.com/general-suppo ... rking.html but it relates to Windows 10.

I have Windows 10.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:01 am

Nordengrund wrote:
Minoa wrote:Hi, this is because of User Account Control.

chkdsk /r

Press Win+R instead to get the run dialogue.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:33 am

Salandriagado wrote:
Nordengrund wrote:

Press Win+R instead to get the run dialogue.

When I do that it doesn't give me the option to run as admin. That is the method I use the first time

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:24 pm

Nordengrund wrote:
Minoa wrote:I have previously asked if you used Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10, because I am aware of https://www.tenforums.com/general-suppo ... rking.html but it relates to Windows 10.

I have Windows 10.

Then https://www.tenforums.com/general-suppo ... rking.html may apply to you. Sorry I am feeling very depressed (but no crisis at this time). If you have to reinstall Windows, I would definitely retrieve those photos via Knoppix live CD. Don't wipe anything until you take out the files you need from the disk. ;)
Last edited by Minoa on Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:43 am

So I've just had the privilege of meeting the stupidist fuckin person ever. I work in IT, and I've seen and been asked everything (including the famous "where is the any key?") - but this is a new breed of idiot.

User from Finance came up to desk, saying their account is locked. It's a fairly standard thing so I check in AD, and it isn't. I tell the user, offer to reset their password, but she insists it's locked. After pointlessly showing her that she isn't locked, I go to her desk to see something like this.

I somehow managed to explain without my usual patronising tone that she just needs to do ctrl+alt+del and enter her password.

So for all of you thinking you don't know IT at all - believe me, if you have basic reading skills you know more than this particular user.
Last edited by Hirota on Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:43 am

Adobe needs to get their house in order in my opinion. Half the time, I'm unable to download software from the free downloads section of their website. Instead, when I click the link it redirects to the front page and I'm forced to go to third parties such as FileHippo to get an up to date version of Adobe Flash, AIR, Shockwave and so on. On rare occasions, I'm not able to find it on FileHippo either. I actually care about keeping all of my non-legacy applications current with the latest stable releases and go out of my way to only use trustworthy websites.

I've switched over from using Secunia PSI 2.0 to FileHippo App Manager, it performs way faster so I have no regrets so far, Secunia PSI 3.0 proved unsatisfactory. Should've used this program a while ago if it has existed for long.
Last edited by Saiwania on Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction