NATION

PASSWORD

Computer General Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which OS do YOU use?

Windows
75%
Linux/Unix
14%
Mac
9%
OS/2
1%
DOS
1%
Phantom OS
0%
Croquet
1%

Total votes : 878

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:24 am

Industrial Republics wrote:
Nordengrund wrote:
Thanks. Idk if I have malware because I only use the laptop for homework and steam games.

Course you can, only takes one bad download, one bad click, a whole lotta luck, and then you're infected.

Nah you're probably not but it's a precautionary thing, I'm sure you have some little things that'll be flagged and removed.

Reinstalling the system would mean you would need to do EVERYTHING from scratch, including logging into everything like steam.

I'd figure out your steam login btw, otherwise you're going to be screwed if your HDD ever takes a crap.

I know my username, I just don't remember my password. I think I will try logging in to a different device and writing it down.

Also, when I select safe mode with networking, it won't let me connect to the Internet even though my other devices say they are connected.
Last edited by Nordengrund on Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 John 1:9

Industrial Republics
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Industrial Republics » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:03 am

Nordengrund wrote:
Industrial Republics wrote:Course you can, only takes one bad download, one bad click, a whole lotta luck, and then you're infected.

Nah you're probably not but it's a precautionary thing, I'm sure you have some little things that'll be flagged and removed.

Reinstalling the system would mean you would need to do EVERYTHING from scratch, including logging into everything like steam.

I'd figure out your steam login btw, otherwise you're going to be screwed if your HDD ever takes a crap.

I know my username, I just don't remember my password. I think I will try logging in to a different device and writing it down.

Also, when I select safe mode with networking, it won't let me connect to the Internet even though my other devices say they are connected.

Laptop or desktop?

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:19 am

Nordengrund wrote:

Laptop or desktop?

It's a laptop. An HP Notebook

One more question: I'm thinking about doing a system restore, but I don't remember when I installed most of my steam games, so if it uninstalls them or removes the icons will that affect the saved progress of the games in any way?

Industrial Republics
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Industrial Republics » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:47 am

Nordengrund wrote:
Industrial Republics wrote:Laptop or desktop?

One more question: I'm thinking about doing a system restore, but I don't remember when I installed most of my steam games, so if it uninstalls them or removes the icons will that affect the saved progress of the games in any way?

For safemode w/ networking you'll want to connect an ethernet cable.

And most games are backed up to the steam cloud.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:00 am

Nordengrund wrote:

For safemode w/ networking you'll want to connect an ethernet cable.

And most games are backed up to the steam cloud.

And if not, you can just back up your saves yourself.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:43 pm

Yeah, a friend I discussed this with recommend I back everything up.

I am beginning to think its a problem with the OS, though idk what could cause it.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:27 am

I lost $25 on keyboards, rather ridiculous. But the $10 one I got seems to be holding up. If several or more keys on your laptop die, I don't recommend getting a direct replacement for any defective laptop keyboard. The ribbon cables for such keyboards are too fragile when folded that random keys could stop working and that is pretty much what happened. Whenever you install a laptop keyboard, the ribbon cable does have to be folded in such a limited space and it is anyone's guess if it'll keep working as expected. My replacement worked for around a month, before breaking just like my original keyboard.

You're better off just getting an external keyboard which can be connected via USB or another peripheral connection method such as Bluetooth, even if it takes up more space. Less risk of the keys ceasing to work. Desktop equivalents are far more durable.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Eol Sha
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Eol Sha » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:43 pm

So, I'm saving up for a laptop, a Lenovo Ideapad 700 to be exact, and I was wondering what you all think of warranties. Specifically, the Asurion Protection Plan warranty.

This article has given me some pause on the issue.
Last edited by Eol Sha on Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You'd better believe I'm a bitter Bernie Sanders supporter. The Dems fucked up and fucked up hard. Hopefully they'll learn that neoliberalism and maintaining the status quo isn't the way to win this election or any other one. I doubt they will, though.

"What's the number one method of achieving civil rights in America? Don't scare the white folks." ~ Eol Sha

Praise be to C-SPAN - Democrats Should Listen to Sanders - How I Voted on November 8, 2016 - Trump's Foreign Policy: Do Stupid Shit - Trump's Clock is Ticking

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:48 pm

Eol Sha wrote:So, I'm saving up for a laptop, a Lenovo Ideapad 700 to be exact, and I was wondering what you all think of warranties. Specifically, the Asurion Protection Plan warranty.

I mean, if you know you're going to be using it for heavy duty work or in rough environments (or you're just simply careless) then yes, a warranty is fine. Shit breaks and you need peace of mind.

If all your laptop is going to be doing is sitting on a desk then the warranty is not worth it. Your laptop is going to last what it's supposed to, way past any available warranty.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Eol Sha
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Eol Sha » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:58 pm

Soldati Senza Confini wrote:
Eol Sha wrote:So, I'm saving up for a laptop, a Lenovo Ideapad 700 to be exact, and I was wondering what you all think of warranties. Specifically, the Asurion Protection Plan warranty.

I mean, if you know you're going to be using it for heavy duty work or in rough environments then yes, a warranty is fine. Shit breaks and you need peace of mind.

If all your laptop is going to be doing is sitting on a desk then the warranty is not worth it.

The latter is pretty much all I do, but I have a nasty habit of tripping over wires and knocking my laptops on the floor. I've had to send in my two laptops for repairs partially because of that. In fact, my last one was rendered inoperable late last year.

And because my last laptop only had a one-year warranty, my Dad had to pay out of pocket to get it fixed since more damage was done to it [i]after[/i] the warranty expired.

If I were to get the warranty, would it be best to go third-party or stick with the manufacturer?
You'd better believe I'm a bitter Bernie Sanders supporter. The Dems fucked up and fucked up hard. Hopefully they'll learn that neoliberalism and maintaining the status quo isn't the way to win this election or any other one. I doubt they will, though.

"What's the number one method of achieving civil rights in America? Don't scare the white folks." ~ Eol Sha

Praise be to C-SPAN - Democrats Should Listen to Sanders - How I Voted on November 8, 2016 - Trump's Foreign Policy: Do Stupid Shit - Trump's Clock is Ticking

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:00 pm

Eol Sha wrote:
I mean, if you know you're going to be using it for heavy duty work or in rough environments then yes, a warranty is fine. Shit breaks and you need peace of mind.

If all your laptop is going to be doing is sitting on a desk then the warranty is not worth it.

The latter is pretty much all I do, but I have a nasty habit of tripping over wires and knocking my laptops on the floor. I've had to send in my two laptops for repairs partially because of that. In fact, my last one was rendered inoperable late last year.

And because my last laptop only had a one-year warranty, my Dad had to pay out of pocket to get it fixed since more damage was done to it [i]after[/i] the warranty expired.

If I were to get the warranty, would it be best to go third-party or stick with the manufacturer?

1) You need better wire management so you don't trip over them. I usually keep all my wires behind my desk and they're all bundled together, so that's a start.

2) In your case, third-party would be best, given you need a warranty that covers repairs. Manufacturer's doesn't cover it unless it is extended.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Eol Sha
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Eol Sha » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:09 pm

Eol Sha wrote:The latter is pretty much all I do, but I have a nasty habit of tripping over wires and knocking my laptops on the floor. I've had to send in my two laptops for repairs partially because of that. In fact, my last one was rendered inoperable late last year.

1) You need better wire management so you don't trip over them. I usually keep all my wires behind my desk and they're all bundled together, so that's a start.

2) In your case, third-party would be best, given you need a warranty that covers repairs. Manufacturer's doesn't cover it unless it is extended.

1. I usually keep the wires under my desk, but I always manage to find some way to trip over them. Ugh.

2. Reading through Asurion's web page on the subject, their coverage at least seems pretty extensive.

I'll definitely have to give this more thought and do more research. Thanks for the help, Soldati. :)

One last question, let's say my warranty eventually runs out. Is it possible to purchase a new warranty for my device? Or am I shit out of luck?

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:48 pm

Eol Sha wrote:

1. I usually keep the wires under my desk, but I always manage to find some way to trip over them. Ugh.

2. Reading through Asurion's web page on the subject, their coverage at least seems pretty extensive.

I'll definitely have to give this more thought and do more research. Thanks for the help, Soldati. :)

One last question, let's say my warranty eventually runs out. Is it possible to purchase a new warranty for my device? Or am I shit out of luck?

If it is third party? Yes, you should be able to buy a new warranty for your device. Maybe not from the same warrantor, but a new warranty nevertheless.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eol Sha
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Eol Sha » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:49 pm

Eol Sha wrote:1. I usually keep the wires under my desk, but I always manage to find some way to trip over them. Ugh.

If it is third party? Yes, you should be able to buy a new warranty for your device. Maybe not from the same warrantor, but a new warranty nevertheless.

Ok. Thanks, again, Soldati, :)

Industrial Republics
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Industrial Republics » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:20 pm

Eol Sha wrote:1. I usually keep the wires under my desk, but I always manage to find some way to trip over them. Ugh.

Third party vendors would be the best for accidental damage, most vendor warranties won't cover it.

Also most of the warranties should allow you to extend it once it gets close to expiring.

Lastly, get something else for your laptop.
Last edited by Industrial Republics on Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eol Sha
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Eol Sha » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:22 pm

Third party vendors would be the best for accidental damage, most vendor warranties won't cover it.

Also most of the warranties should allow you to extend it once it gets close to expiring.

Was ist zat?

Industrial Republics
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Industrial Republics » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:24 pm

Eol Sha wrote:
Industrial Republics wrote:Third party vendors would be the best for accidental damage, most vendor warranties won't cover it.

Was ist zat?

Put double sided tape on your laptop, tape to table. No longer break from tripping and sending laptop to the other side of the room. Problem fixed.

Eol Sha
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Eol Sha » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:25 pm

Eol Sha wrote:Was ist zat?

Put double sided tape on your laptop, tape to table. No longer break from tripping and sending laptop to the other side of the room. Problem fixed.

I kinda got to carry it to and around school y'know.

Industrial Republics
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Industrial Republics » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:40 pm

Eol Sha wrote:
Industrial Republics wrote:Put double sided tape on your laptop, tape to table. No longer break from tripping and sending laptop to the other side of the room. Problem fixed.

I kinda got to carry it to and around school y'know.

Tape to lapdesk, bolt lapdesk to table. Unbolt when need to travel arises.

Eol Sha
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Eol Sha » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:53 pm

Eol Sha wrote:I kinda got to carry it to and around school y'know.

Tape to lapdesk, bolt lapdesk to table. Unbolt when need to travel arises.

Won't I have to put on another strip of tape when I get home, though?

Industrial Republics
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Industrial Republics » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:04 pm

Eol Sha wrote:
Industrial Republics wrote:Tape to lapdesk, bolt lapdesk to table. Unbolt when need to travel arises.

Won't I have to put on another strip of tape when I get home, though?

No? The lapdesk stays taped the entire time, you bolt the lapdesk to the table when not traveling.

Eol Sha
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Eol Sha » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:22 pm

Eol Sha wrote:Won't I have to put on another strip of tape when I get home, though?

No? The lapdesk stays taped the entire time, you bolt the lapdesk to the table when not traveling.

Yeah, ok, I'm not following how this product works. :?

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:30 am

Okay, I tried a system restore to try to fix the problem I'm having with a black background and the start menu not working. Unfortunately, it didn't work and I can't type anything into powershell.

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:01 am

Still will not be upgrading to Windows 10 other than for VM purposes only: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-micro ... SKBN15Z1UI

I may be getting a PC laptop in the near future due to 3ds Max, but most certainly will use Windows 7 on it as I already have the DVD and licence, one of which is unused.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:51 pm

Minoa wrote:I may be getting a PC laptop in the near future due to 3ds Max, but most certainly will use Windows 7 on it as I already have the DVD and licence, one of which is unused.

Microsoft is dropping all support for Windows 7 by the beginning of 2020 and depending on to what extent the outside world is willing to keep support for Windows 7 with their software releases, you might not to able to use Windows 7 for long. I recommend Windows 10 simply because at this point, it is the best out of several bad choices. Unless you want to switch to an Apple or Linux OS.

I love Windows 7 but I recognize that like XP, it has a limited lifespan before obsolescence. I have many concerns about 10, it includes many things I probably don't like, but it has probably improved to the point where I can at least tolerate it. I more or less know what I need to turn off or configure, so I could use 10 more effectively. I would think that skipping 8/8.1 to get Windows 10 would make the most sense if you're getting brand new hardware.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction