NATION

PASSWORD

Computer General Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which OS do YOU use?

Windows
75%
Linux/Unix
14%
Mac
9%
OS/2
1%
DOS
1%
Phantom OS
0%
Croquet
1%

Total votes : 878

Lechites
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lechites » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:03 pm

Bezombia wrote:
YellowApple wrote:
Likewise, Access makes COBOL-driven databases look state-of-the-art in comparison. Though I guess Microsoft has to release something to make MS SQL look objectively better than literally any of the alternatives.

>not using sharepoint

Sharepoint is the god damn devil. Thank god I don't support that piece of crap anymore.

YellowApple
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby YellowApple » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:38 pm

Bezombia wrote:
YellowApple wrote:
Likewise, Access makes COBOL-driven databases look state-of-the-art in comparison. Though I guess Microsoft has to release something to make MS SQL look objectively better than literally any of the alternatives.

>not using sharepoint

> implying that sharepoint is a solution instead of a problem

Mallorea and Riva should resign
Member of the One True Faith and Church. Join The Church of Derpy today!

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:48 am

I thought SQL-based databases were the standard, given that quite a lot of websites are Unix-based.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

Czechanada
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Czechanada » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:14 am

Office 2013 is the most painfully cumbersome program that I've ever had the misfortune to use. Thank goodness that LibreOffice 5.0 was released.
"You know what I was. You see what I am. Change me, change me!" - Randall Jarrell.

Lechites
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lechites » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:36 pm

Czechanada wrote:Office 2013 is the most painfully cumbersome program that I've ever had the misfortune to use. Thank goodness that LibreOffice 5.0 was released.

Eh I didn't find it that bad to use when I supported it. Unfortunately I now have to support 2007 again.

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:40 pm

Czechanada wrote:Office 2013 is the most painfully cumbersome program that I've ever had the misfortune to use. Thank goodness that LibreOffice 5.0 was released.

2016 is a solid improvement over 2013, if you want to try it out and see if you like it.
Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon...but down this road we've been so many times...
Please, call me Benomia. Post count +14623, founded Oct. 23, 2012.
Sauritican wrote:We've all been spending too much time with Ben
Verdum wrote:Hey girl, is your name Karl Marx? Because your starting an uprising in my lower classes.
Black Hand wrote:New plan is to just make thousands of disposable firearms and dump them out of cargo planes with tiny drag chutes attached.
Spreewerke wrote:The metric system is the only measurement system that truly meters.
Spreewerke wrote:Salt the women, rape the earth.
Equestican wrote:Ben is love, Ben is life.
Sediczja wrote:real eyes realize real lies
I'm a poet. Come read my poems!

Czechanada
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Czechanada » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:58 pm

Bezombia wrote:

2016 is a solid improvement over 2013, if you want to try it out and see if you like it.

If my university grants us Office 2016, then I'll check it out.
"You know what I was. You see what I am. Change me, change me!" - Randall Jarrell.

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:59 pm

Czechanada wrote:
Bezombia wrote:2016 is a solid improvement over 2013, if you want to try it out and see if you like it.

If my university grants us Office 2016, then I'll check it out.

You can get a 120-day free trial on their website right now
Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon...but down this road we've been so many times...
Verdum wrote:Hey girl, is your name Karl Marx? Because your starting an uprising in my lower classes.
Black Hand wrote:New plan is to just make thousands of disposable firearms and dump them out of cargo planes with tiny drag chutes attached.
Spreewerke wrote:The metric system is the only measurement system that truly meters.

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:12 pm

who the fuck decided that the default cursive font on chrome should be comic sans
how the fuck did that ever make it into the final release

YellowApple
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby YellowApple » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:36 pm

Minoa wrote:I thought SQL-based databases were the standard, given that quite a lot of websites are Unix-based.

They are the standard. If you're not using SQL for your database, then you're probably wrong.

Microsoft SQL Server, on the other hand, is the second-worst database product known to mankind (barely edging out Oracle Server), the first-worst being Microsoft Access. If you need a SQL, you should go with either SQLite (for standalone, single-user applications) or PostgreSQL (for multi-user applications, like websites). MariaDB is barely tolerable. MySQL is worthless now that MariaDB exists.

Bezombia wrote:who the fuck decided that the default cursive font on chrome should be comic sans
how the fuck did that ever make it into the final release

Wat.

Comic Sans ain't even cursive. It's... I don't even know what it is, but it sure ain't cursive.

Mallorea and Riva should resign
Member of the One True Faith and Church. Join The Church of Derpy today!

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:57 am

Props to Microsoft for breaking wget on Windows 10 due to the lack of Internet Explorer.

Czechanada
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Czechanada » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:06 pm

Imagine that OS/3 is suddenly released out of nowhere to save us from Windows 10.

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:14 pm

Czechanada wrote:Imagine that OS/3 is suddenly released out of nowhere to save us from Windows 10.

If anything, it'd be worse. IBM's been selling their souls for a long time now. They're in the business of "trying to figure out how to make money off an industry that they abandoned forty years ago", and they're not particularly good at that business.
Them selling the Think line to Lenovo was the best decision they've made in recent years, other than their supercomputers.

Besides, if anything OS/3 would just be a 64-bit port of eComStation with some fancy animations thrown in. That'd be great and all but when your entire marketing strategy is repeating "We're not Windows!" over and over again, you've already lost - which is a big reason OS/2 failed as a permanent presence in the industry.
Last edited by Bezombia on Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:44 pm

And here I am trying to understand why a program that includes a fully capable web browser is 8KB, but a dummy program whose only purpose is to add a notification to the taskbar (a notification that doesn't even do anything) is 52KB.

sigh I don't think I'll ever really get .NET.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I love C#, it's just a little schizophrenic at times.
Last edited by Bezombia on Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ardavia
Senator

Founded: Jun 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardavia » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:41 am

professional contrarian
for: whatever you are against
against: whatever you are for

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:07 am

Ardavia wrote:so um

(link snipped for length)

Hola Ardavia,

Honestly, I don’t see why I have to put up with Lenovo’s bloatware, adware, whatever-the-unnecessary-ware rubbish: I just wanted computers to do my work on and there is absolutely nothing wrong with letting me do whatever I like with them, even if it involves dissecting them like the days of learning how to weld things. It is fortunate for me that I have VMware and I can build my own computer–given that I read the instructions in the manuals, I had little to no trouble getting Ubuntu onto my Mini-ITX server, which is intentionally not destined to cope with power-intensive games, but at least still serve my OpenStreetMap-powered maps without winging like a fussy child.

I already did as much as I can to train Windows 10 to my bidding but if worse come to worse and it is to troublesome to remove the unnecessary built-in apps and settings, I won’t want to deploy Windows 10 in production mode at all. Look, I accept that it isn’t quite Windows-as-a-service yet since it doesn’t require a subscription, but all these privacy settings are going to put off those who are actually trying to get the whole network in shape first before relaxing.

I should put the following down as a rant as well: if computer of the future act like Lenovo’s with all the privacy intrusive junk and ridiculous hardware restrictions then I don’t have to use computers at all: I am already working on cutting back on internet usage.
Last edited by Minoa on Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:07 am

Fuck.

Minoa wrote:I should put the following down as a rant as well: if computer of the future act like Lenovo’s with all the privacy intrusive junk and ridiculous hardware restrictions then I don’t have to use computers at all: I am already working on cutting back on internet usage.

Or alternatively you can teach yourself how to write custom BIOS updates and then sell "de-bloated" BIOSes for Lenovo laptops at $3 a pop. Suddenly you're rich!

May Mays
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby May Mays » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:10 am

But who buys Lenovo for gaming?

And with the XPS 13, I'm surprised people are buying anything else for productivity.
It's just me against the world.

RIP ZYZZ
Husseinarti wrote:yeah fun is shitty and gay

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:12 am

May Mays wrote:But who buys Lenovo for gaming?

me

The Matthew Islands
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Matthew Islands » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:57 am

Windows 10 is shit. It won't connect to the internet. It says connections are available but it sits there showing a blank. I go into the network and sharing centre and nothing. There is just nothing there. I click on the Netgear genie and it doesn't even open. Fucking really frustrating.
Souseiseki wrote:as a posting career in the UK Poltics Thread becomes longer, the probability of literally becoming souseiseki approaches 1

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:01 am

The Matthew Islands wrote:Windows 10 is shit. It won't connect to the internet. It says connections are available but it sits there showing a blank. I go into the network and sharing centre and nothing. There is just nothing there. I click on the Netgear genie and it doesn't even open. Fucking really frustrating.

1: Do you have your network drivers installed?
2: Are your network drivers running properly?

The Matthew Islands
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Matthew Islands » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:06 am

Bezombia wrote:
The Matthew Islands wrote:Windows 10 is shit. It won't connect to the internet. It says connections are available but it sits there showing a blank. I go into the network and sharing centre and nothing. There is just nothing there. I click on the Netgear genie and it doesn't even open. Fucking really frustrating.

1: Do you have your network drivers installed?

I have no idea. I literally have no clue about how these things work.

Windows 10 also seems to run a lot slower than 7...
Souseiseki wrote:as a posting career in the UK Poltics Thread becomes longer, the probability of literally becoming souseiseki approaches 1

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:14 am

The Matthew Islands wrote:
Bezombia wrote:1: Do you have your network drivers installed?

I have no idea. I literally have no clue about how these things work.

Windows 10 also seems to run a lot slower than 7...

If W10 is slower for you than W7, you've done something VERY wrong.

The Matthew Islands
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Matthew Islands » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:39 am

I don't know, it just doesn't seem to work for some reason.

Czechanada
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Czechanada » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:43 am

http://i.imgur.com/mYGddJu.png

God damn it Windows 10.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction