NATION

PASSWORD

Computer General Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which OS do YOU use?

Windows
75%
Linux/Unix
14%
Mac
9%
OS/2
1%
DOS
1%
Phantom OS
0%
Croquet
1%

Total votes : 878

Fiorina-Fury 161
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 17, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Fiorina-Fury 161 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:39 pm

My friend has an old computer that runs Windows 98.
THANK YOU FOR TUNING INTO 109.6 AM! THIS IS TRUE ENGINEER RADIO!!

CANCEL THE FUCKING ORDER, DUDE!

Cadonica
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 19, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cadonica » Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:24 am

Tried out Windows 11. Two days later I rolled back to Windows 10.

The biggest downside is the lack of customization which seems to be the trend with other programs/games as well. Old version has 10x more customization options than the newer version which instantly makes the newer version inferior to good old one. Basically, the things I expected to be able to do in Win11, require third party apps/mods/registry hacks/whetever else.
Last edited by Cadonica on Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
IC
Steam, Last.fm, RYM
Call me Cad or Sisu.
That's what they said:Once you go black metal...

That's what I said:
That Finnish bastard. ~2011
Sleeping is overrated. ~2012
I'm only gay with females. ~2013
Wings are sexy and you know it! ~2013.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:01 am

Cadonica wrote:Basically, the things I expected to be able to do in Win11, require third party apps/mods/registry hacks/whetever else.

That seems to be the way of things. Features go away unless people keep using those enough or demand them. If those don't come back, you pretty much have to go to third party sources sometimes. There were plenty of things lost from Windows 7 that Windows 10 couldn't do just as is probably the case with Windows 11 because its an OS thats not matured enough.

Windows 10 can be kept for now, but what about when it goes End of Life in 2025? Windows 11 might be the first OS I move to where I don't replace the hardware.
Last edited by Saiwania on Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Fiorina-Fury 161
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 17, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Fiorina-Fury 161 » Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:02 pm

Cadonica wrote:Tried out Windows 11. Two days later I rolled back to Windows 10.

The biggest downside is the lack of customization which seems to be the trend with other programs/games as well. Old version has 10x more customization options than the newer version which instantly makes the newer version inferior to good old one. Basically, the things I expected to be able to do in Win11, require third party apps/mods/registry hacks/whetever else.

I transitioned to Windows 11 a few days ago and I love it so far.
THANK YOU FOR TUNING INTO 109.6 AM! THIS IS TRUE ENGINEER RADIO!!

CANCEL THE FUCKING ORDER, DUDE!

Previous

Return to Arts & Fiction