NATION

PASSWORD

Computer General Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which OS do YOU use?

Windows
75%
Linux/Unix
14%
Mac
9%
OS/2
1%
DOS
1%
Phantom OS
0%
Croquet
1%

Total votes : 878

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Sat May 23, 2020 12:57 pm

Celerons also still exist, along with Atoms. The latest of the latter uses the Tremont microarchitecture: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... Ids=202684
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:30 am

Apple may finally be moving away from Intel soon. Supposedly they'll be announcing Apple-designed CPU based Macs at WWDC this month.
The details of the above post are subject to leftist infighting.

I officially endorse Fivey Fox for president of the United States.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:06 am

I will have to admit that I don't really know much about this aspect, so I would like to ask as a general question, not for my homework on hardware (that's out of my league, I am doing Artificial Intelligence and Data Science stuff).

Anyway, my question: Usually, you need to restart or shut down your Windows computer every few days, or even every day to "clean up", as I heard. I also heard that Mac OS and Linux/Ubuntu don't really have this problem (you can leave them on as long as you want without impacting performance). Any idea why? Is it because of the way they use the hardware and the resources?

At least, that's what I heard, of course. Not sure if it is completely true, or something.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:33 am

I do not know what makes sense to keep the computer running for long periods of time, since there is only so long that a human can continuously stay awake. Unless it's a long 3D model render, in which case, there is no specific limit due to everyone’s software and hardware setup being different (even on macOS, where one user could use Microsoft Office but the other uses LibreOffice), and that’s before the fact that I modified Catalina to remove the news app for health reasons, and also to make them stop nagging me about iCloud.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:50 am

Minoa wrote:I do not know what makes sense to keep the computer running for long periods of time, since there is only so long that a human can continuously stay awake. Unless it's a long 3D model render, in which case, there is no specific limit due to everyone’s software and hardware setup being different (even on macOS, where one user could use Microsoft Office but the other uses LibreOffice), and that’s before the fact that I modified Catalina to remove the news app for health reasons, and also to make them stop nagging me about iCloud.

I would say it's more of curiosity, because the maximum I would let my computers run for is maybe 2-3 days (as with my recent project on getting the NS Stats of 200,000+ nations, which took around those number of days).

In my school, I generally see Macs running Windows on Bootcamp, to render some CAD model overnight and you always have those "DO NOT TOUCH" sticky notes, or notepads on them. My curiosity will be more on how different Windows, Mac, and Ubuntu are from one another, specifically in terms of "Do you need to restart to make it run faster again?"

I might have heard that Ubuntu machines are good as servers because they excel in the area of not needing to restart or shutdown, i.e. having minimal downtime.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:52 am

Minoa wrote:I do not know what makes sense to keep the computer running for long periods of time, since there is only so long that a human can continuously stay awake. Unless it's a long 3D model render, in which case, there is no specific limit due to everyone’s software and hardware setup being different (even on macOS, where one user could use Microsoft Office but the other uses LibreOffice), and that’s before the fact that I modified Catalina to remove the news app for health reasons, and also to make them stop nagging me about iCloud.

being able to stay on for long periods of time is mostly useful for servers and high-intensity computation, which i imagine is part of why linux tends to be popular for those purposes
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:01 pm

Cekoviu wrote:

being able to stay on for long periods of time is mostly useful for servers and high-intensity computation, which i imagine is part of why linux tends to be popular for those purposes

Yeah, I the question was about desktops, but Linux systems do hold up well as servers, because the big servers demand high mileage between maintenance. Especially with banks.

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:24 am

Whooppeee a new version of Edge. The browser I don't like, don't use, and don't want on my computer but can't remove.
Everything is intertwinkled

Shanghai industrial complex
Minister

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:52 am

Minoa wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:being able to stay on for long periods of time is mostly useful for servers and high-intensity computation, which i imagine is part of why linux tends to be popular for those purposes

Yeah, I the question was about desktops, but Linux systems do hold up well as servers, because the big servers demand high mileage between maintenance. Especially with banks.

Even the server version of windows is always easy to crash.But Linux has another advantage. We can customize its kernel freely.I heard that the performance of windows will decline after a long time because all software can add self starting services to the system. But few software will delete it after uninstalling.
Why-hasnt-Microsoft-been-able-to-solve-the-problem-of-Windows-getting-so-slow-after-about-a-year-of-use
Last edited by Shanghai industrial complex on Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
多看空我 仮面ライダークウガをたくさん見てください Watch more Masked Rider Kukuku Kuuga!

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:44 am

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:Whooppeee a new version of Edge. The browser I don't like, don't use, and don't want on my computer but can't remove.

And is why I have had to resort to NTLite to rip it out. it may be a while before we decide to adopt Windows 2004 or the one after that.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:46 am

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:Whooppeee a new version of Edge. The browser I don't like, don't use, and don't want on my computer but can't remove.

solution: remove windows and install a real OS
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:59 am

In order to keep my coding skills up over the summer, I decided to program Minesweeper. It's a fairly simple game, so not super hard to get it to work.

I've also been thinking of getting back on Kattis and trying out some of the harder challenges there.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
The Mainframe requires more processing power and storage.
Donate your computing devices or they will be taken by force.
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

UPDATES (earth-year 3345): International Subsystem scales up operations in 42E5 "New York," Earth, now the largest known concentration of androids.

Factbooks | About Me | NationStates Flag Bracket II | Bytes (card farming region) | MAINFRAMEWAVE
Feel free to telegram me about anything. I'll do my best to respond.
Canon is relative to the observer. Not using NS stats.
This nation does not represent my real views, and if it represents yours, I question your sanity.

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:24 am

Valentine Z wrote:I will have to admit that I don't really know much about this aspect, so I would like to ask as a general question, not for my homework on hardware (that's out of my league, I am doing Artificial Intelligence and Data Science stuff).

Anyway, my question: Usually, you need to restart or shut down your Windows computer every few days, or even every day to "clean up", as I heard. I also heard that Mac OS and Linux/Ubuntu don't really have this problem (you can leave them on as long as you want without impacting performance). Any idea why? Is it because of the way they use the hardware and the resources?

At least, that's what I heard, of course. Not sure if it is completely true, or something.

It's due to updates, actually. Windows's kernel is programmed so horribly that it can't ensure live reloading of kernel-space modules so you need to reboot every update. In fact the "Please close all other programs before <doing this thing>" message you see on Windows is due to the same problem. On Linux (and macOS to a lesser extent) you can just reload modules or keep older executable images in memory without any issues.
In fact in Unix systems you can manually clear the memory cache and "restart" multi-user-target to refresh your userspace programs and running services without having to power cycle the machine. You simply can't do that in Windows.

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:25 am

My desktop computer is also my server so it never turns off unless I'm moving. I believe my longest achieved uptime was actually close to 11 months.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:14 pm

It's based off of Chromium now, so its worth a look if you like Google Chrome enough but think Edge might have some unique features to distinguish itself from other browsers. I've read rumors that it has superior privacy controls to Chrome and a few other innovations, but otherwise its pretty identical to Chrome now. Needless to say, it won't be taking #1 in market share.

I think that it is a bit of a travesty that Google Chrome has become too dominant. Its a fine browser for what it is, but I don't want the separate browsers to be too alike. I instead want each to have different merits/features that really distinguish each from the other in terms of pros/cons. Because Chrome has been #1 for so long, there is too much pressure for other browser makers to just copy what they're doing.

I find that almost all browsers load equally as fast/well at this point. And the browser you select as your main, is usually a matter of personal preference or how useful it is in supporting different websites. I'm using the Extended Support Release (ESR) version of Firefox to be able to continue using Adobe Flash until its actual End of Life date before next year.
Last edited by Saiwania on Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:23 pm

Saiwania wrote:

It's based off of Chromium now, so its worth a look if you like Google Chrome enough but think Edge might have some unique features to distinguish itself from other browsers. I've read rumors that it has superior privacy controls to Chrome and a few other innovations, but otherwise its pretty identical to Chrome now. Needless to say, it won't be taking #1 in market share.

I think that it is a bit of a travesty that Google Chrome has become too dominant. Its a fine browser for what it is, but I don't want the separate browsers to be too alike. I instead want each to have different merits/features that really distinguish each from the other in terms of pros/cons. Because Chrome has been #1 for so long, there is too much pressure for other browser makers to just copy what they're doing.

I find that almost all browsers load equally as fast/well at this point. And the browser you select as your main, is usually a matter of personal preference or how useful it is in supporting different websites. I'm using the Extended Support Release (ESR) version of Firefox to be able to continue using Adobe Flash until its actual End of Life date before next year.

I find Edge even more pointless now that it uses Chromium, to be honest. There was already Falkon, Vivaldi, and Opera (and let's not forget Chrome itself), all using the Chromium engine and claiming to have a unique feature set that sets them apart.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
The Mainframe requires more processing power and storage.
Donate your computing devices or they will be taken by force.
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

UPDATES (earth-year 3345): International Subsystem scales up operations in 42E5 "New York," Earth, now the largest known concentration of androids.

Factbooks | About Me | NationStates Flag Bracket II | Bytes (card farming region) | MAINFRAMEWAVE
Feel free to telegram me about anything. I'll do my best to respond.
Canon is relative to the observer. Not using NS stats.
This nation does not represent my real views, and if it represents yours, I question your sanity.

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:38 pm

The Cosmic Mainframe wrote:
Saiwania wrote:

I find Edge even more pointless now that it uses Chromium, to be honest. There was already Falkon, Vivaldi, and Opera (and let's not forget Chrome itself), all using the Chromium engine and claiming to have a unique feature set that sets them apart.

Also ungoogled-chromium, which is the only Chrome version anyone should ever use.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:56 pm

I have to say, 2004 has been the worst version or "feature update" to Windows 10 in a long time. Nothing but glitches/problems as of late. Updates that hopefully fix some if not most of it can't come soon enough. Screen flickering in terms of brightness on my end, and for another machine I oversee 2004 breaks printing unless you go out of your way to find a hotfix via Microsoft Update Catalog that breaks something else.

To avoid the current debacles, it is worthwhile to perhaps purposely not upgrade from 1909 or earlier until another month or so, if not using a Windows 10 version until its "End of Life" before updating to a newer major version of the OS.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... ws-10-2004
Last edited by Saiwania on Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:29 pm

Saiwania wrote:I have to say, 2004 has been the worst version or "feature update" to Windows 10 in a long time. Nothing but glitches/problems as of late. Updates that hopefully fix some if not most of it can't come soon enough. Screen flickering in terms of brightness on my end, and for another machine I oversee 2004 breaks printing unless you go out of your way to find a hotfix via Microsoft Update Catalog that breaks something else.

To avoid the current debacles, it is worthwhile to perhaps purposely not upgrade from 1909 or earlier until another month or so, if not using a Windows 10 version until its "End of Life" before updating to a newer major version of the OS.

The regularity of these bad updates pretty constantly reinforces my belief that I made the right choice in going for Windows Server instead of Windows 10.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:28 am

Saiwania wrote:I have to say, 2004 has been the worst version or "feature update" to Windows 10 in a long time. Nothing but glitches/problems as of late. Updates that hopefully fix some if not most of it can't come soon enough. Screen flickering in terms of brightness on my end, and for another machine I oversee 2004 breaks printing unless you go out of your way to find a hotfix via Microsoft Update Catalog that breaks something else.

Really? 2004 is stable on my machine.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:23 am

Vassenor wrote:

Really? 2004 is stable on my machine.

It is giving me a lot of grief. Everything is slower and more temperamental.
Everything is intertwinkled

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:28 am

This is why I am sticking to the September updates. They have a service life of two years and a half in Enterprise.
Last edited by Minoa on Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:03 pm

Why does "Windows 10 in S Mode" exist for certain new products? Are there many people who'd genuinely enjoy only being able to browse the web with Microsoft Edge or to only be able to install from the Windows Store with all other normal executables and programs from third parties blocked or disabled?
Sith Acolyte

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:24 pm

Saiwania wrote:Why does "Windows 10 in S Mode" exist for certain new products? Are there many people who'd genuinely enjoy only being able to browse the web with Microsoft Edge or to only be able to install from the Windows Store with all other normal executables and programs from third parties blocked or disabled?

No, I'm pretty sure it's for security purposes. Plenty of people can't be trusted with the ability to run arbitrary executables without destroying their computer in a week.

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:12 am

When one is so familiar with computers, it is easy to assume that everyone will know to spot a shady executable from day one. However, S Mode has a lot of problems, such as the Edge and Bing lock-in: that could easily lead to yet another antitrust showdown between Brussels and Redmond, with Cupertino already facing hot water with allegations over how they treat their developers.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction