NATION

PASSWORD

Computer General Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which OS do YOU use?

Windows
75%
Linux/Unix
14%
Mac
9%
OS/2
1%
DOS
1%
Phantom OS
0%
Croquet
1%

Total votes : 878

Radictistan
Minister

Founded: Nov 21, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Radictistan » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:56 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Radictistan wrote:I finally got my new card to work. I needed to update my BIOS to get the fans to work. I'm getting only marginally better performance with the new card so I guess it's time to buy a whole new machine.

Current specs?

ASRock Z77 Pro3
i5-3450
8 GB Kingston DDR3
RX 580 8 GB

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:34 pm

Radictistan wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:Current specs?

ASRock Z77 Pro3
i5-3450
8 GB Kingston DDR3
RX 580 8 GB

Well yeah, the reason you're not getting good performance is that you're on a third-generation i5. Just updating the CPU (and therefore motherboard and RAM) is probably enough unless you're trying to like, stream intensive video games. You don't need an entirely new machine.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Radictistan
Minister

Postby Radictistan » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:18 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Radictistan wrote:ASRock Z77 Pro3
i5-3450
8 GB Kingston DDR3
RX 580 8 GB

Well yeah, the reason you're not getting good performance is that you're on a third-generation i5. Just updating the CPU (and therefore motherboard and RAM) is probably enough unless you're trying to like, stream intensive video games. You don't need an entirely new machine.

I don't think I trust myself replacing a motherboard, especially installing the CPU.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:20 pm

Radictistan wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:Well yeah, the reason you're not getting good performance is that you're on a third-generation i5. Just updating the CPU (and therefore motherboard and RAM) is probably enough unless you're trying to like, stream intensive video games. You don't need an entirely new machine.

I don't think I trust myself replacing a motherboard, especially installing the CPU.

How did you originally build it, then?

Radictistan
Minister

Postby Radictistan » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:44 am

Cekoviu wrote:
Radictistan wrote:I don't think I trust myself replacing a motherboard, especially installing the CPU.

How did you originally build it, then?

I didn't. I had a local shop build it.

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:26 am

Saiwania wrote:
Cisairse wrote:Windows 10 is considered harmful, and should generally be avoided.

In what way is Windows 10 bad? I mean, I still like Windows 7 more overall. But I have to admit that Windows 10 does some things objectively better. It's become "good enough" for my purposes. Although I'd say that it has flaws that Windows 7 doesn't have.

I figure that if most of the entire world is using Windows 10 in a given year, that people will find or create ways for their applications to work with the new OS better, or devise some workarounds that'll enable legacy stuff to still work perfectly. If it were the case that Windows 10 became the most popular and common OS for a long time. Lately, I'm trying to figure out a way to get certain old PC games (designed for DirectX 1 to 6) to run perfectly without an ugly blue title bar at the top. Windows 7 could, but Windows 10 can't for now. The solution either doesn't exist yet, or I need to configure an emulation hack or program that works in letting it run as its supposed to.

Usually an OS sucks more, before it gets better. Different "builds" of Windows 10 are fundamentally different from one another in terms of features/performance.
1803 for example, is effectively different from 1909.

It just seems that going forward, people will have to go with Windows 10 if they want to stay with Windows, or to switch to Linux if they have a PC.

I think Cisairse has a point to make about the telemetry and bloatware. I would have given up Windows entirely had it not been for NTlite and my knowledge of Windows Firewall With Advanced Security.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:48 am

Radictistan wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:How did you originally build it, then?

I didn't. I had a local shop build it.

Oh. Well it's really easy:
1. Screw in the motherboard standoffs, not terribly difficult if you've ever worked with screws
2. Line up the arrow on the CPU with the arrow on the CPU slot and insert, requiring the skill of sight and control over the arms
3, Spreading thermal paste on the CPU (basically the same thing you did in kindergarten with crafts, just higher-stakes) and screw in the cooler
1 could go after 3 or before 2, but anyway.
There are a lot of videos online on how to build a computer that will show you exactly how to do it. It's a little bit daunting on your first try because of how expensive the parts are, but if you're careful and follow the correct procedure, they'll be fine.

Radictistan
Minister

Postby Radictistan » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:38 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Radictistan wrote:I didn't. I had a local shop build it.

Oh. Well it's really easy:
1. Screw in the motherboard standoffs, not terribly difficult if you've ever worked with screws
2. Line up the arrow on the CPU with the arrow on the CPU slot and insert, requiring the skill of sight and control over the arms
3, Spreading thermal paste on the CPU (basically the same thing you did in kindergarten with crafts, just higher-stakes) and screw in the cooler
There are a lot of videos online on how to build a computer that will show you exactly how to do it. It's a little bit daunting on your first try because of how expensive the parts are, but if you're careful and follow the correct procedure, they'll be fine.

Okay. I thought there was soldering involved.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:08 pm

Radictistan wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:Oh. Well it's really easy:

Okay. I thought there was soldering involved.

No, not at all. That's not even the case with computers from 30+ years ago, much less modern ones. You'll only need to solder something if you massively fuck up the installation.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:11 pm

Finally got around to installing Linux on my laptop, and I chose to go with Debian, as I've heard it performs better on shitty/old hardware. It's worked pretty smoothly thus far, but I'm having trouble getting f.lux on it because there's some weird Python shenanigans with which I'm unfamiliar. Anyone have experience with manually installing it on Linux?

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:46 pm

Got all my computer stuff. I'm excited.
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:48 am

I don't know where else to ask this and I'm not making yet another account on a random forum just for one question, so anyway.
I have this set of Bluetooth headphones (Skullcandy Uproar Wireless) and I constantly switch between three devices to use it: my laptop, my desktop, and my phone (Android 7.0). I obviously need to disconnect it from whatever device it's currently connected to, so I normally hold the main button on the headphones to turn it off and turn it on again because that's easier than opening blueman/opening bluedevil/getting out my phone respectively. The issue is that holding the button calls the contact who was most recently called when it's connected to my phone. Normally that's voicemail and it's a mere nuisance, but I've also accidentally ended up calling humans a couple of times. So it's super obnoxious and I'd like a way to disable that, but I can't find one that works. Any ideas?

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:18 pm

Cekoviu wrote:Finally got around to installing Linux on my laptop, and I chose to go with Debian, as I've heard it performs better on shitty/old hardware. It's worked pretty smoothly thus far, but I'm having trouble getting f.lux on it because there's some weird Python shenanigans with which I'm unfamiliar. Anyone have experience with manually installing it on Linux?

Can't help with the technical issues, but I can offer you this:
https://9to5google.com/2019/12/18/blue- ... one-awake/
The details of the above post are subject to leftist infighting.

I officially endorse Fivey Fox for president of the United States.

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:46 am

Source: https://dot.kde.org/2020/01/08/plasma-s ... 7-refugees

KDE thinks they have an answer for the Windows 7 resistance, but it is the ability for Linux to run Autodesk, Adobe and Microsoft Office software without major issues that will be the winning move.

I know of Blender, GIMP, LibreOffice and WINE, but those are not really industry-standard.

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:54 am

Minoa wrote:Source: https://dot.kde.org/2020/01/08/plasma-s ... 7-refugees

KDE thinks they have an answer for the Windows 7 resistance, but it is the ability for Linux to run Autodesk, Adobe and Microsoft Office software without major issues that will be the winning move.

I know of Blender, GIMP, LibreOffice and WINE, but those are not really industry-standard.

I really feel like Autodesk and Adobe are not widely used by the 79% of desktop/laptop computers that run Windows. Like, they're definitely popular, but nowhere near ubiquitous.
MS Office is becoming all cloud-based anyway.
The details of the above post are subject to leftist infighting.

I officially endorse Fivey Fox for president of the United States.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:37 am

Although I love KDE, I think it's more likely that Windows 7 users would migrate to Mint and stick with Cinnamon - KDE-default distros are few and far between nowadays. Most general-purpose/user-friendly distributions with out-of-the-box KDE support seem to be ones that offer a choice of desktop environment on download (Fedora, Manjaro, Debian, and whatnot), with the only real option for that being Kubuntu. KDE also has a bit of a (undeserved) reputation for being confusing to new users because of the config options.
edit: Just remembered that PCLinuxOS is also KDE-default. Whoopsy.
At one point, you could run some Adobe software with PlayOnLinux. I do really miss Premiere Pro now that I've completely dumped Windows -- OpenShot doesn't really cut it -- but for most other Adobe software (and Office) there is a decent replacement for the end user. Graphics, video, and animation professionals will need to keep Windows, but many of the Windows 7 stragglers aren't professionals and can get by if they take some time to learn how to use free software alternatives.
Last edited by Cekoviu on Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Asle Leopolka
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Asle Leopolka » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:41 am

Cekoviu wrote:I don't know where else to ask this and I'm not making yet another account on a random forum just for one question, so anyway.
I have this set of Bluetooth headphones (Skullcandy Uproar Wireless) and I constantly switch between three devices to use it: my laptop, my desktop, and my phone (Android 7.0). I obviously need to disconnect it from whatever device it's currently connected to, so I normally hold the main button on the headphones to turn it off and turn it on again because that's easier than opening blueman/opening bluedevil/getting out my phone respectively. The issue is that holding the button calls the contact who was most recently called when it's connected to my phone. Normally that's voicemail and it's a mere nuisance, but I've also accidentally ended up calling humans a couple of times. So it's super obnoxious and I'd like a way to disable that, but I can't find one that works. Any ideas?

Disconnect from the devices rather than the headphones. It's a little less convenient, sure, but it's the only way you can ensure you don't call people. I have the same problem with multiple different pairs of bluetooth buds (including my nice Sony ones; hopefully the Airpod Pros lack this problem).
W̵̲͔͇͒̌̉̆̇͛̋ͅa̸̢̼̺̅̉̊͝l̶̟͈̳̗͒͜l̷̫͝ ̶̱̱̘͖̙̬͖̈́̏̕͘ō̴̼̭̥͔̮̟͒̒͒ͅn̴̖̦͎̯͕̈́̿͘͠ ̸̞̼͉͙́͐̏͝ẗ̴̮͕̰̫̖͉̩̍͆̂͛͝h̵̖̋̉̾̎͆e̸̞̩̳̲͙͎͑ ̴̩̈̽̈́͑S̵̯̮̟͈͎̭͠t̸͍̗̹̬͉̙̓͆̔̿r̸̡̤̺̱̹͈̦͑̈́̅ẹ̶̮͔̳̆͆̄̏̔e̴̢̺͚̠̟͕̋̄̂̓̽͘t̴̢̡̩͙̫̼̚,̸̩̖͌̈́͐̇ ̷̨͐͆P̵̳̦͗r̶̹̪̯͕̬̰̍̓͆o̷̠̱͙̠͔̗̫̽f̶̱͙͇̼̬̮̻̊͌̋į̸̯̩̖͇̍͋̓̾́̏̽ͅt̴͇̬͍̗̺̀̈́̈́͗͊ ̴̧̯̼̩͑̓̒͗i̷̪̲̜̮̼̲̎͑͊̂̕n̶͍̂ ̴͓̻̤̬͎̫̹̎͌̈́́̕͝t̸̺͚͍̕h̷͖͎̙͍̬̫̰̍̀̃̿̓e̷̛̩̔̑̌̾͊ ̵̤̖͎͔͖̂͘͝S̴̳͖̩̪͕̒͒̌͌͝h̷̝͇̱̝̻̓̓͂͑̒ȅ̶̛̞̱̮̏͐͜ḕ̷͙͉̄͜ť̸̫̩̟s̴̲̲̏̑̏̇͆͂͘͜

ᛖᚷᛟ ᛋᚢᛗ ᛒᛖᛋᛏᛁᚨ ᛖᚷᛟ ᚲᚢᛚᛏᚢᛋ
Personality: Chaotic Good | ENTJ | Math dominant | Pro business
Politically: Classical liberal | Pro 2A | Pro Choice | Behavioral economist

Crysuko
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Crysuko » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:44 am

I'll be off my PC, PSU is shot. Can't afford a replacement part for another week. Fails to initialise the graphics card when the OS is loaded. I'm not particularly worried, I can boot into safe mode so I know my files are safe.
Quotes:
Xilonite wrote: cookies are heresy.

Kelinfort wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:A terrorist attack on a disabled center doesn't make a lot of sense, unless to show no one is safe.

This will take some time to figure out, i am afraid.

"No one is safe, not even your most vulnerable and insecure!"

Cesopium wrote:Welp let's hope armies of 10 million don't just roam around and Soviet their way through everything.

Yugoslav Memes wrote:
Victoriala II wrote:Ur mom has value

one week ban for flaming xd

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Much better than the kulak smoothies. Their texture was suspiciously grainy.

Official thread euthanologist
I USE Qs INSTEAD OF Qs

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:59 am

Crysuko wrote:I'll be off my PC, PSU is shot. Can't afford a replacement part for another week. Fails to initialise the graphics card when the OS is loaded. I'm not particularly worried, I can boot into safe mode so I know my files are safe.

Do you have an integrated graphics option to use in the meantime?

Also got myself a project for tonight.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:53 am

Asle Leopolka wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:I don't know where else to ask this and I'm not making yet another account on a random forum just for one question, so anyway.

Disconnect from the devices rather than the headphones. It's a little less convenient, sure, but it's the only way you can ensure you don't call people. I have the same problem with multiple different pairs of bluetooth buds (including my nice Sony ones; hopefully the Airpod Pros lack this problem).

Blurg. We sent a man to the moon fifty damn years ago and companies are still making these stupid blunders. Bless the hearts of the people who made the KDE bluetooth applet, they integrate it into the notification area so it's not a pain in the ass.
Last edited by Cekoviu on Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:02 am

Cisairse wrote:

I really feel like Autodesk and Adobe are not widely used by the 79% of desktop/laptop computers that run Windows. Like, they're definitely popular, but nowhere near ubiquitous.
MS Office is becoming all cloud-based anyway.

The only thing keeping me away from LibreOffice on macOS is the fact they use a Works-style launcher instead of individual dock icons.

ArranVidLand
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby ArranVidLand » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:04 am

Mac on my own laptop, sometimes I use my dad's Windows Acer

Crysuko
Negotiator

Postby Crysuko » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:00 am

The thing that bothers me about sites like toms hardware is you'll post the specifics about your problem, every relevant detail and you'll inevitably be told "post full specs". I just post a picture of my glasses, because if you're going to be an unhelpful annoyance then get mirror forced.
Quotes:

Kelinfort wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:A terrorist attack on a disabled center doesn't make a lot of sense, unless to show no one is safe.

Cesopium wrote:Welp let's hope armies of 10 million don't just roam around and Soviet their way through everything.

Yugoslav Memes wrote:

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Much better than the kulak smoothies. Their texture was suspiciously grainy.

I USE Qs INSTEAD OF Qs

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:42 pm

Crysuko wrote:The thing that bothers me about sites like toms hardware is you'll post the specifics about your problem, every relevant detail and you'll inevitably be told "post full specs". I just post a picture of my glasses, because if you're going to be an unhelpful annoyance then get mirror forced.

I get really frustrated by software user help forums (e.g. Apple, Microsoft, etc.), where it seems many users just moan about the software developer and their practices, and not actually try to find a way around the problem.

Crysuko
Negotiator

Postby Crysuko » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:45 pm

Minoa wrote:
Crysuko wrote:The thing that bothers me about sites like toms hardware is you'll post the specifics about your problem, every relevant detail and you'll inevitably be told "post full specs". I just post a picture of my glasses, because if you're going to be an unhelpful annoyance then get mirror forced.

I get really frustrated by software user help forums (e.g. Apple, Microsoft, etc.), where it seems many users just moan about the software developer and their practices, and not actually try to find a way around the problem.

"I don't want a solution, I want to be angry"
Quotes:

Kelinfort wrote:

Yugoslav Memes wrote:

I USE Qs INSTEAD OF Qs

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction