NATION

PASSWORD

Computer General Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which OS do YOU use?

Windows
605
75%
Linux/Unix
115
14%
Mac
64
8%
OS/2
5
1%
DOS
7
1%
Phantom OS
4
0%
Croquet
5
1%
 
Total votes : 805

User avatar
Cisairse
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 121
Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cisairse » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:24 pm

Minoa wrote:Source: https://www.howtogeek.com/434851/four-y ... rovements/

Two improvements I want to see before considering the Pro version: no ads and automatic app downloads, and no telemetry beyond the bare minimum needed for operating system updates.


That already exists.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... -new/ltsc/

They will never port those "features" to non-Enterprise versions of Windows because they make too much money.

User avatar
Minoa
Senator
 
Posts: 4385
Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:01 pm

Source: https://www.howtogeek.com/437221/how-pe ... d-devices/

Unfortunately, this is quite an old joke, due to the fact that modern browsers let you set the User Agent: for example, I could make it appear that I posted this message from a Moleskine Sketchbook, despite the fact it has no electronic parts whatsoever.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

User avatar
Corrian
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 69847
Founded: Mar 19, 2011
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Corrian » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:18 pm

What is the best brand for motherboards? I'm pretty clueless about them.
My Last.FM and RYM

RP's hosted by me: The Last of Us RP's

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

User avatar
Cekoviu
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10974
Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cekoviu » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:29 pm

Corrian wrote:What is the best brand for motherboards? I'm pretty clueless about them.

Been a bit since I looked at motherboards, but I do remember that Gigabyte and MSI are good. IIRC Asus is one of the better brands too.
(insert edgy reference to other people's signatures here)
Torrocca wrote:"Your honor, it was not mein fault! I didn't order the systematic genocide of millions of people, it was the twenty kilograms of pure-cut Bavarian cocaine that did it!"
Liriena wrote:anyone to the left of Pinochet: *exists*

right-wingers: wat about vuvuzelaaa lmao gottem

User avatar
Minoa
Senator
 
Posts: 4385
Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:41 pm

I have no significant problems with ASUS and Gigabyte.

At the end of the day, it is quality that matters to me the most.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

User avatar
Saiwania
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16067
Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Saiwania » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:00 am

I'm quite thrilled about this project, if it ended up working in the long run. Newgrounds is working on this open source Adobe Flash emulator that is written in the Rust programming language- Ruffle. The plan is for it to be able to seamlessly run every piece of Adobe Flash content that'd otherwise be forever abandoned.

The old era of animations and games might well be preserved.
https://github.com/ruffle-rs/ruffle

User avatar
Minoa
Senator
 
Posts: 4385
Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:55 am

Saiwania wrote:I'm quite thrilled about this project, if it ended up working in the long run. Newgrounds is working on this open source Adobe Flash emulator that is written in the Rust programming language- Ruffle. The plan is for it to be able to seamlessly run every piece of Adobe Flash content that'd otherwise be forever abandoned.

I am thinking about whether Adobe should release the source code for Flash, but that idea has a mixture of advantages and disadvantages.

On one side, it could help a lot in preserving Flash animations, like the ones that Dave Jeffrey made back in the early-2000s (http://625.uk.com/tv_logos/flash.htm).

However, there is a danger of hackers going all-in, because the fact that Adobe Flash has so many vulnerabilities is hardly a secret.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

User avatar
Saiwania
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16067
Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Saiwania » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:44 pm

Minoa wrote:However, there is a danger of hackers going all-in, because the fact that Adobe Flash has so many vulnerabilities is hardly a secret.


There should be no danger if the source code is released after Adobe Flash's End of Life date. Everyone is supposed to not use Adobe Flash anymore after that date anyways. But there will still be plenty of reason for emulators of it to exist if there is a ton of old Adobe Flash content out there online.

There should be no security vulnerabilities with Ruffle because it'll be a problem with the browser itself, and it'll be open source. With enough people checking over the code, any issues that come up will probably be fixed.

User avatar
Cekoviu
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10974
Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cekoviu » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:27 am

Saiwania wrote:I'm quite thrilled about this project, if it ended up working in the long run. Newgrounds is working on this open source Adobe Flash emulator that is written in the Rust programming language- Ruffle. The plan is for it to be able to seamlessly run every piece of Adobe Flash content that'd otherwise be forever abandoned.

The old era of animations and games might well be preserved.
https://github.com/ruffle-rs/ruffle

Fuck Rust, but cool, I guess?
(insert edgy reference to other people's signatures here)
Torrocca wrote:"Your honor, it was not mein fault! I didn't order the systematic genocide of millions of people, it was the twenty kilograms of pure-cut Bavarian cocaine that did it!"
Liriena wrote:anyone to the left of Pinochet: *exists*

right-wingers: wat about vuvuzelaaa lmao gottem

User avatar
Saiwania
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16067
Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Saiwania » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:33 pm

Cekoviu wrote:Fuck Rust, but cool, I guess?


What would you say is wrong with Rust? I'm just a layman, not a programmer. But I hear mostly only good things about Rust coding. How if you know how to code for that language, there are some very lucrative jobs out there that exist for it. Serious money. $60,000+/year at minimum. Maybe even six figures in the right circumstances.

On the surface, Rust would seem to be new and in demand and having a bright future. Lots of tech companies want Rust coders.
Last edited by Saiwania on Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Cekoviu
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10974
Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cekoviu » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:48 pm

Saiwania wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:Fuck Rust, but cool, I guess?


What would you say is wrong with Rust? I'm just a layman, not a programmer. But I hear mostly only good things about Rust coding. How if you know how to code for that language, there are some very lucrative jobs out there that exist for it. Serious money. $60,000+/year at minimum. Maybe even six figures in the right circumstances.

On the surface, Rust would seem to be new and in demand and having a bright future. Lots of tech companies want Rust coders.

I don't mind the language itself; it's mainly the compiler and package build system that bothers me (specifically, its use of the Internet and the issue of it being partially in Rust). Just use a normal ./configure && make && make check && make install system like every normal piece of Linux software, ffs.
(insert edgy reference to other people's signatures here)
Torrocca wrote:"Your honor, it was not mein fault! I didn't order the systematic genocide of millions of people, it was the twenty kilograms of pure-cut Bavarian cocaine that did it!"
Liriena wrote:anyone to the left of Pinochet: *exists*

right-wingers: wat about vuvuzelaaa lmao gottem

User avatar
Cekoviu
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10974
Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cekoviu » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:50 pm

Unrelated, but I've switched from MATE to XFCE (for the increased stability and opportunities for customization) and it's more difficult than I expected to adjust. It's very different from MATE in some crucial ways.
(insert edgy reference to other people's signatures here)
Torrocca wrote:"Your honor, it was not mein fault! I didn't order the systematic genocide of millions of people, it was the twenty kilograms of pure-cut Bavarian cocaine that did it!"
Liriena wrote:anyone to the left of Pinochet: *exists*

right-wingers: wat about vuvuzelaaa lmao gottem

User avatar
Valentine Z
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5521
Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Valentine Z » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:18 am

So... this is gonna be a talk about computer languages from me, your amateur computer science student, who is not-too-eagerly waiting for his next term! :P

I know C++ is arguably the best language out there, so... I'm trying to learn that as of now! So I know Python, Java, C#, and C++, in that order of confidence (highest to lowest). Mostly beginner level, can't really code something without a crapton of assistance from the others.

On another note, are there older languages that are still around and serving their own purposes? Maybe because it is working and there's no need for a change, or that the system only accepts that particular language? Specifically, I'm interested about FORTRAN. How's FORTRAN as of now?

EDIT: I realised that FORTRAN isn't capitalised or an abbreviation, but... I don't know why I wrote that way. Ah wells!



There's also another language that is pretty much used for Machine Learning, specifically when it comes to Linear Laws, Regressions, and stuff. But I can't for the life for me remember the name. It's not Matlab, either.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
NSSCRA 8: #7 - Clarissa Alanis Star || #15 - Jolyn Helen Ceeta || #31 - Gwen Tracer Allison || #63 - Marcus Alan Ariel Baptiste

Clarissa mistaken for Smurf/Avatar: 3
Valentijn misgendered: 33 ⅓

If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
>>> >>> >>> Q & A Here! | Heights of NS! Add yours now! <<< <<< <<<
• About me.
• You thought I'm a She. Hah!
• Eat my freaking tranquility. - Zenyatta
• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
NEWS: Valentine Z time-skipped to 2070. Colonised Mars, population at 9+ billion!

User avatar
Cekoviu
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10974
Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cekoviu » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:46 am

Valentine Z wrote:So... this is gonna be a talk about computer languages from me, your amateur computer science student, who is not-too-eagerly waiting for his next term! :P

I know C++ is arguably the best language out there, so... I'm trying to learn that as of now! So I know Python, Java, C#, and C++, in that order of confidence (highest to lowest). Mostly beginner level, can't really code something without a crapton of assistance from the others.

Wrong. Brainfuck is the best language.
I'm slowly migrating fully to Linux now, which means my extensive C# experience is becoming irrelevant. It's very sad.
(insert edgy reference to other people's signatures here)
Torrocca wrote:"Your honor, it was not mein fault! I didn't order the systematic genocide of millions of people, it was the twenty kilograms of pure-cut Bavarian cocaine that did it!"
Liriena wrote:anyone to the left of Pinochet: *exists*

right-wingers: wat about vuvuzelaaa lmao gottem

User avatar
Valentine Z
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5521
Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Valentine Z » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:02 am

Cekoviu wrote:
Valentine Z wrote:So... this is gonna be a talk about computer languages from me, your amateur computer science student, who is not-too-eagerly waiting for his next term! :P

I know C++ is arguably the best language out there, so... I'm trying to learn that as of now! So I know Python, Java, C#, and C++, in that order of confidence (highest to lowest). Mostly beginner level, can't really code something without a crapton of assistance from the others.

Wrong. Brainfuck is the best language.

Oh yes, I heard of that one! Either Brainfuck, or Whitespace. :P

Whitespace could be a very, very sneaky language if you can slip it in between lines of C++ or any other visible languages.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
NSSCRA 8: #7 - Clarissa Alanis Star || #15 - Jolyn Helen Ceeta || #31 - Gwen Tracer Allison || #63 - Marcus Alan Ariel Baptiste

Clarissa mistaken for Smurf/Avatar: 3
Valentijn misgendered: 33 ⅓

If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
>>> >>> >>> Q & A Here! | Heights of NS! Add yours now! <<< <<< <<<
• About me.
• You thought I'm a She. Hah!
• Eat my freaking tranquility. - Zenyatta
• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
NEWS: Valentine Z time-skipped to 2070. Colonised Mars, population at 9+ billion!

User avatar
Saiwania
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16067
Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Saiwania » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:44 pm

I might potentially have a problem on my hands. I have an Acer Aspire E15 (E5-576G) as my new main laptop. It currently is on Windows 10 1803 but problem is, this version is approaching "End of Life" status for Home users, but my manufacturer is seemingly in no rush to meet the November 14th, 2019 deadline to make Windows 10 1903 available to it.

Windows Update previously offered it to my machine but it failed to install 5 times before it wasn't being offered again. Should I try waiting until next month for the driver issues to maybe be sorted enough for 1903 to be compatible enough to be offered to my machine?

If the 1903 update is never offered via Windows Update before 1803 expires, should I try using Windows 10 Update Assistant to try to get it installed anyways? This risks my machine having software problems as a result if the manufacturer drivers prove to not be compatible for whatever reason.

I also refuse to update my BIOS, because I know that if it fails for any reason, that I'd be dealing with a dead machine because of a bricked motherboard. I know where to get exactly the correct BIOS to go from version 1.47 to 1.49 but if I have no means of recovery from it failing, I'm unwilling to do this even if it might be relatively safe. Would bring a lot of peace of mind if the motherboard came with a backup BIOS chip that could flash a corrupted chip back to normal. The laptop doesn't come with this feature as far as I can tell. For most electronics, you have the one firmware chip where it that got screwed up, you're screwed.
Last edited by Saiwania on Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Cekoviu
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10974
Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cekoviu » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:38 pm

Saiwania wrote:I might potentially have a problem on my hands. I have an Acer Aspire E15 (E5-576G) as my new main laptop. It currently is on Windows 10 1803 but problem is, this version is approaching "End of Life" status for Home users, but my manufacturer is seemingly in no rush to meet the November 14th, 2019 deadline to make Windows 10 1903 available to it.

Windows Update previously offered it to my machine but it failed to install 5 times before it wasn't being offered again. Should I try waiting until next month for the driver issues to maybe be sorted enough for 1903 to be compatible enough to be offered to my machine?

If the 1903 update is never offered via Windows Update before 1803 expires, should I try using Windows 10 Update Assistant to try to get it installed anyways? This risks my machine having software problems as a result if the manufacturer drivers prove to not be compatible for whatever reason.

I also refuse to update my BIOS, because I know that if it fails for any reason, that I'd be dealing with a dead machine because of a bricked motherboard. I know where to get exactly the correct BIOS to go from version 1.47 to 1.49 but if I have no means of recovery from it failing, I'm unwilling to do this even if it might be relatively safe. Would bring a lot of peace of mind if the motherboard came with a backup BIOS chip that could flash a corrupted chip back to normal. The laptop doesn't come with this feature as far as I can tell. For most electronics, you have the one firmware chip where it that got screwed up, you're screwed.

The solution is to install a Linux distro instead of Windows.
(insert edgy reference to other people's signatures here)
Torrocca wrote:"Your honor, it was not mein fault! I didn't order the systematic genocide of millions of people, it was the twenty kilograms of pure-cut Bavarian cocaine that did it!"
Liriena wrote:anyone to the left of Pinochet: *exists*

right-wingers: wat about vuvuzelaaa lmao gottem

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: The first Galactic Republic

Advertisement

Remove ads