NATION

PASSWORD

Computer General Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which OS do YOU use?

Windows
75%
Linux/Unix
14%
Mac
9%
OS/2
1%
DOS
1%
Phantom OS
0%
Croquet
1%

Total votes : 878

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:05 am

My first three laptops lasted five to seven years before they failed. My two recent laptops have lasted less than two years. The most recent, a hewlett packard has failed in less than a year.

As it is still under warranty they are repairing the failed harddrive for free. I asked for the old drive back but they say it is their property and it would cost me £50. Grasping cunts.
Everything is intertwinkled

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:16 am

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:My first three laptops lasted five to seven years before they failed. My two recent laptops have lasted less than two years. The most recent, a hewlett packard has failed in less than a year.

As it is still under warranty they are repairing the failed harddrive for free. I asked for the old drive back but they say it is their property and it would cost me £50. Grasping cunts.

Keeping replaced hard drives isn't really a new thing. IIRC dell used to offer to let you keep the old drive for upto six weeks for data retrieval but it was discretionary and you got automatically charged if the drive wasn't returned in time.
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:31 am

Crookfur wrote:
An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:My first three laptops lasted five to seven years before they failed. My two recent laptops have lasted less than two years. The most recent, a hewlett packard has failed in less than a year.

Keeping replaced hard drives isn't really a new thing. IIRC dell used to offer to let you keep the old drive for upto six weeks for data retrieval but it was discretionary and you got automatically charged if the drive wasn't returned in time.

It might not be a new thing, but it is very annoying to me as a customer.

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:22 pm

And that is why you should have backups of important data.
Such heroic nonsense!

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:57 pm

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:
Crookfur wrote:Keeping replaced hard drives isn't really a new thing. IIRC dell used to offer to let you keep the old drive for upto six weeks for data retrieval but it was discretionary and you got automatically charged if the drive wasn't returned in time.

It might not be a new thing, but it is very annoying to me as a customer.

I can appreciate that. Telling folks that they would need to hand over a broken drive was the least fun part of working tech support.
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:50 am

Cekoviu wrote:Significantly riskier and requires illegal software, but yes.

Pirating an operating system for a host machine is a baaad idea.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

Industrial Republics
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Industrial Republics » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:00 pm

Minoa wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:Significantly riskier and requires illegal software, but yes.

Pirating an operating system for a host machine is a baaad idea.

It ain't pirating. You're using the install media from Microsoft, you're just tricking it into thinking it's properly licensed.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:27 pm

Industrial Republics wrote:
Minoa wrote:Pirating an operating system for a host machine is a baaad idea.

It ain't pirating. You're using the install media from Microsoft, you're just tricking it into thinking it's properly licensed.

Still not a great idea for a host machine.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:09 am

So I was looking for case ideas for my hypothetical replacement build, and I ran into this.

I... just... why?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Industrial Republics
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Industrial Republics » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:52 am

Cekoviu wrote:
Industrial Republics wrote:It ain't pirating. You're using the install media from Microsoft, you're just tricking it into thinking it's properly licensed.

Still not a great idea for a host machine.

Better than pirating though.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:11 am

Vassenor wrote:So I was looking for case ideas for my hypothetical replacement build, and I ran into this.

I... just... why?

Who spends £5000 on a case, wtf? That's literally 127x the amount that I spent on my case, which I consider fairly nice (Corsair 200R + window).

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:17 pm

Minoa wrote:Pirating an operating system for a host machine is a baaad idea.

It's still pirating. Pirating is the unauthorized use or access of software or services. While you may have got the installer for free. It's still unauthorized without a valid license. Tricking to think it's properly licensed when you don't have a license is piracy.
Such heroic nonsense!

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:06 pm

So, I was going through some of the files on my secondary hard drive when I noticed what looks to be corruption on some PNG images. For example, the following album cover:
Compared to the clean image pulled from online:

The file is only 5 months old and CrystalDiskInfo says the drive is in good health. The folder that it's in is compressed using Windows's auto-compression feature, and when removed, the glitchy aspects are still visible. I haven't noticed this before on compressed or uncompressed files.
Is this an issue with my hard drive or is it a side effect of the compression?

Industrial Republics
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Industrial Republics » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:23 am

Tekania wrote:
Industrial Republics wrote:It ain't pirating. You're using the install media from Microsoft, you're just tricking it into thinking it's properly licensed.

It's still pirating. Pirating is the unauthorized use or access of software or services. While you may have got the installer for free. It's still unauthorized without a valid license. Tricking to think it's properly licensed when you don't have a license is piracy.

Blah blah blah, I'm sure Microsoft would rather you use their product whether it is "pirated" or not. Locking you into their ecosystem makes it much more likely you will spend money at some point on their services, or work somewhere that does pay for those services because it is what you're used to working with.

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:46 am

Cekoviu wrote:So, I was going through some of the files on my secondary hard drive when I noticed what looks to be corruption on some PNG images. For example, the following album cover:Compared to the clean image pulled from online:
The file is only 5 months old and CrystalDiskInfo says the drive is in good health. The folder that it's in is compressed using Windows's auto-compression feature, and when removed, the glitchy aspects are still visible. I haven't noticed this before on compressed or uncompressed files.

Are you sure that isn't just the thumbnail version?

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:26 am

Cekoviu wrote:So, I was going through some of the files on my secondary hard drive when I noticed what looks to be corruption on some PNG images. For example, the following album cover:Compared to the clean image pulled from online:

Nope, that's the full image. It's slightly cropped from the original, mind you, but it's the actual image as displayed in the stock image viewer.

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:39 am

Tekania wrote:

Blah blah blah, I'm sure Microsoft would rather you use their product whether it is "pirated" or not. Locking you into their ecosystem makes it much more likely you will spend money at some point on their services, or work somewhere that does pay for those services because it is what you're used to working with.

"Blah, blah, blah" It's piracy, child.
Such heroic nonsense!

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:34 am

Cekoviu wrote:

Nope, that's the full image. It's slightly cropped from the original, mind you, but it's the actual image as displayed in the stock image viewer.

If that disk was responsible for messing up with the file, then I would not trust that disk and replace it. 1TB drives are now well below £50.

As a general note to everyone, I personally destroy the disk platters before disposing it.
Last edited by Minoa on Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:25 am

Minoa wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:Nope, that's the full image. It's slightly cropped from the original, mind you, but it's the actual image as displayed in the stock image viewer.

If that disk was responsible for messing up with the file, then I would not trust that disk and replace it. 1TB drives are now well below £50.

As a general note to everyone, I personally destroy the disk platters before disposing it.

Alright. I'm broke as a joke right now so I can't afford a new one, but I've moved parity files onto a separate trusted drive and raw backups onto a third, so that should keep me safe for now.

Industrial Republics
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Industrial Republics » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:27 pm

Tekania wrote:
Industrial Republics wrote:Blah blah blah, I'm sure Microsoft would rather you use their product whether it is "pirated" or not. Locking you into their ecosystem makes it much more likely you will spend money at some point on their services, or work somewhere that does pay for those services because it is what you're used to working with.

"Blah, blah, blah" It's piracy, child.

Resorting to insults is a good tactic. You should keep using it.

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:07 pm

I recommend sticking to Thinkpads then. I haven't yet been able to actually break any Thinkpad I've owned (most recently a 2015 Thinkpad Yoga 3) and I put my computers through serious abuse.
The details of the above post are subject to leftist infighting.

I officially endorse Fivey Fox for president of the United States.

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:09 pm

Vassenor wrote:So I was looking for case ideas for my hypothetical replacement build, and I ran into this.

I... just... why?

The price is absurd, but I am somewhat fond of the design.

Tekania wrote:

Not really. The legal definition of piracy is related to copying, not use. The proper term for this sort of thing is cracking.
The details of the above post are subject to leftist infighting.

I officially endorse Fivey Fox for president of the United States.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:15 am

Last edited by Vassenor on Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:34 am

Whatever it is called, it is not an option for running an operating system on a host machine.

To be honest, my opinion of Windows 10 is already on very very very shaky ground, due to the fact that I cannot disable those darn consumer experiences in Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro: some will already know that I use computers for actual work and not wasting time in some social media or first-person shooter, and that means that in my opinion, Windows 10 Enterprise is the only option for me.

I feel that any licensing deal by Microsoft for Enterprise will be tons better than the high costs of getting upgrades for Windows 7 after 14 January 2020. If I recall correctly, it is $50 for support during 2020, $100 for 2021, and $200 for 2022.

After 2022, it is unlikely that Microsoft will care if Windows 7 capitulates to any major flaw that the security researchers find, and with the state of the internet extremely volatile, connecting any kind of end-of-life software to the internet requires enough vigilance to negatively affect productivity.

The other option is to leave Windows entirely, but that is uncharted territory since a number of programs that I use only works on Windows. I know of the WINE project, but when it comes to full compatibility, it can be a hit and miss depending on what DLL library the program needs.

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:11 pm

I just hope a startup will come along and disrupt the operating system market with a new OS.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction