NATION

PASSWORD

Computer General Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which OS do YOU use?

Windows
75%
Linux/Unix
14%
Mac
9%
OS/2
1%
DOS
1%
Phantom OS
0%
Croquet
1%

Total votes : 878

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:02 am

Fun fact: 2019 will be the year of Linux on the Windows Desktop!
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:44 am

Cekoviu wrote:Fun fact: 2019 will be the year of Linux on the Windows Desktop!

It seems to me that every year is claimed to be the year of Linux … and what kind of solid widespread adoption do they have to show for it at the end of each year?
Last edited by Minoa on Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:51 am

Minoa wrote:

It seems to me that every year is claimed to be the year of Linux … and what kind of solid widespread adoption do they have to show for it at the end of each year?

thatsthejoke.deb

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:34 pm

Minoa wrote:

It's the single most used kernel in the world, and has been for some time. It's dominant in the smartphone and server markets, and in scientific computing, and increasingly in universities. What the fuck more do you want?
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:34 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Minoa wrote:It seems to me that every year is claimed to be the year of Linux … and what kind of solid widespread adoption do they have to show for it at the end of each year?

It's the single most used kernel in the world, and has been for some time. It's dominant in the smartphone and server markets, and in scientific computing, and increasingly in universities. What the fuck more do you want?

Oh no, I meant consumer and business desktops: that’s what I think Cekoviu refers to: servers and scientific machines have a different market landscape with Linux clearly on top: we are talking about adoption in the consumer and business desktop markets, as to replace Windows completely.

Again, I could be clearer. I really try, but often fail. I am sorry.
Last edited by Minoa on Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:08 pm

I've been running Linux VM's on my Windows desktop for years.
Such heroic nonsense!

Lechites
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lechites » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:27 pm

Tekania wrote:

Just install Ubuntu on Windows so you can use a terminal window and use Linux commands to feel like a real hacker man.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:23 pm

Tekania wrote:

Just install them on another partition lol. Puppy Linux means there are no excuses.
Minoa wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Oh no, I meant consumer and business desktops: that’s what I think Cekoviu refers to: servers and scientific machines have a different market landscape with Linux clearly on top: we are talking about adoption in the consumer and business desktop markets, as to replace Windows completely.

Again, I could be clearer. I really try, but often fail. I am sorry.

That is what the article I was spoofing said, yes.

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:48 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Tekania wrote:

Just install them on another partition lol. Puppy Linux means there are no excuses.

Ahhh, but then that would not be Linux ON Windows Desktop, but rather Linux or Windows Desktop
Such heroic nonsense!

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:18 pm

Tekania wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:Just install them on another partition lol. Puppy Linux means there are no excuses.

Ahhh, but then that would not be Linux ON Windows Desktop, but rather Linux or Windows Desktop

If it's a desktop with Windows on it, it's technically a Windows Desktop, even if you're not inside Windows's Desktop. Quod erat demonstrandum - Linux is still on the Windows Desktop as long as Windows is installed, whether in a separate partition or a drive, and 2019 will be the year of Linux on the Windows Desktop (not Windows's Desktop).

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:22 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Tekania wrote:

If it's a desktop with Windows on it, it's technically a Windows Desktop, even if you're not inside Windows's Desktop. Quod erat demonstrandum - Linux is still on the Windows Desktop as long as Windows is installed, whether in a separate partition or a drive, and 2019 will be the year of Linux on the Windows Desktop (not Windows's Desktop).

It's a Windows Desktop if you're booted into Microsoft Windows, if you're booted into Linux it's a Linux Desktop. IF you have Windows installed on it, but you're not booted into Windows it has the potential to be a Windows Desktop, but it is not presently a Windows desktop.
Such heroic nonsense!

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:25 pm

Tekania wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:If it's a desktop with Windows on it, it's technically a Windows Desktop, even if you're not inside Windows's Desktop. Quod erat demonstrandum - Linux is still on the Windows Desktop as long as Windows is installed, whether in a separate partition or a drive, and 2019 will be the year of Linux on the Windows Desktop (not Windows's Desktop).

It's a Windows Desktop if you're booted into Microsoft Windows, if you're booted into Linux it's a Linux Desktop. IF you have Windows installed on it, but you're not booted into Windows it has the potential to be a Windows Desktop, but it is not presently a Windows desktop.

If I have a house, but I am not presently there, is it not Cekoviu's home? If a change has been made and finalized to a piece of code, but it hasn't yet been committed to Git, has the code not been changed?

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:39 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Tekania wrote:

If I have a house, but I am not presently there, is it not Cekoviu's home? If a change has been made and finalized to a piece of code, but it hasn't yet been committed to Git, has the code not been changed?

You owning a house a statement of ownership. Windows does not OWN your computer, Windows is software. One does not have a Windows computer in the send that one is on a computer owned by Microsoft Windows. One has a Windows computer in the sense that one is running Microsoft Windows on it. When one is not running microsoft windows on it, it's not at present a Windows Computer.
Such heroic nonsense!

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:48 pm

Tekania wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:If I have a house, but I am not presently there, is it not Cekoviu's home? If a change has been made and finalized to a piece of code, but it hasn't yet been committed to Git, has the code not been changed?

You owning a house a statement of ownership. Windows does not OWN your computer, Windows is software. One does not have a Windows computer in the send that one is on a computer owned by Microsoft Windows. One has a Windows computer in the sense that one is running Microsoft Windows on it. When one is not running microsoft windows on it, it's not at present a Windows Computer.

It seems that we have fundamentally different definitions of "Windows Desktop."

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:49 pm

You know, Linux could be closer towards widespread adoption if Adobe CC and Microsoft Office officially supported it, but in general, there are so many Linux projects with conflicting visions.

The conflicting visions poses challenges for any developer to make their programs work as flawlessly as possible with Ubuntu, Debian, Mint, Fedora.

I am also aware of a small but vocal minority in the Linux community who believe that all Linux software must be 100% free and open source, with no exceptions.

It is a recent development, but some developers have expressed concern about how some Linux supporters aggressively chase away anything that has even a shred of proprietary code.

Sources:
1. https://itsfoss.com/desktop-linux-torvalds/
2. https://blog.hiri.com/the-fundamentalis ... 0a953f2821
3. https://fman.io/blog/fundamentalism/

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:59 pm

Minoa wrote:You know, Linux could be closer towards widespread adoption if Adobe CC and Microsoft Office officially supported it, but in general, there are so many Linux projects with conflicting visions.

The conflicting visions poses challenges for any developer to make their programs work as flawlessly as possible with Ubuntu, Debian, Mint, Fedora.

I am also aware of a small but vocal minority in the Linux community who believe that all Linux software must be 100% free and open source, with no exceptions.

It is a recent development, but some developers have expressed concern about how some Linux supporters aggressively chase away anything that has even a shred of proprietary code.

Sources:

I mean, there are perfectly adequate substitutes for CC and Office. Inkscape, GIMP, etc. / LibreOffice and OpenOffice

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:36 am

I wish there was a legal case to stop Microsoft installing unwanted, and non-uninstallable, apps on people's computers. They got into trouble for bundling Internet Explorer, what they are doing now seems even more blatant.
Everything is intertwinkled

Lechites
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Lechites » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:48 pm

Minoa wrote:You know, Linux could be closer towards widespread adoption if Adobe CC and Microsoft Office officially supported it, but in general, there are so many Linux projects with conflicting visions.

Sources:

Well, with a lot of things moving more aggressively towards being web-based this won't even be an issue for that long. Office 365 works completely online, and thus works on Linux just fine. I could definitely see a web-based CC version coming at some point, even if it's stripped down a bit.

The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Knockout Gun Gals » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:01 pm

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:I wish there was a legal case to stop Microsoft installing unwanted, and non-uninstallable, apps on people's computers. They got into trouble for bundling Internet Explorer, what they are doing now seems even more blatant.

What happened? The only one that comes to mind is Microsoft Edge, but it's better than Internet Explorer.
The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:
TriStates wrote:Covenant declare a crusade, and wage jihad against the UNSC and Insurrectionists for 30 years.

So Covenant declare a crusade and then wage jihad? :p

Lechites
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Lechites » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:37 pm

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:I wish there was a legal case to stop Microsoft installing unwanted, and non-uninstallable, apps on people's computers. They got into trouble for bundling Internet Explorer, what they are doing now seems even more blatant.

What happened? The only one that comes to mind is Microsoft Edge, but it's better than Internet Explorer.

I believe Home users can't uninstall automatically installed programs, I believe one of them is Candy Crush.

The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Postby The Knockout Gun Gals » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:02 pm

Lechites wrote:

I believe Home users can't uninstall automatically installed programs, I believe one of them is Candy Crush.

I don't have Candy Crush in my laptop.
TriStates wrote:Covenant declare a crusade, and wage jihad against the UNSC and Insurrectionists for 30 years.

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:28 am

Oh they stick all sorts of shit on your computer without asking. At least you could remove Candy Crush Saga. But many other apps they don't let you remove. I wouldn't say Edge is better than explorer either.

To me, things like email clients, web browser, media players, calculators etc are all apps and should not be part of the operating system.

The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Postby The Knockout Gun Gals » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:58 am

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:

Oh they stick all sorts of shit on your computer without asking. At least you could remove Candy Crush Saga. But many other apps they don't let you remove. I wouldn't say Edge is better than explorer either.

To me, things like email clients, web browser, media players, calculators etc are all apps and should not be part of the operating system.

Edge is like Chrome and Firefox. Good use, but memory hoarder.

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:10 am

Edge is like Chrome and Firefox. Good use, but memory hoarder.

I think its 4% market share says a lot, and that is given you can't remove the damn thing from Windows 10.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:15 am

I feel like it's probably important to have one web browser pre-installed on OSs without package managers so people can actually download other browsers.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction