NATION

PASSWORD

Computer General Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which OS do YOU use?

Windows
75%
Linux/Unix
14%
Mac
9%
OS/2
1%
DOS
1%
Phantom OS
0%
Croquet
1%

Total votes : 878

The Alexanderians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alexanderians » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:02 am

Seraven wrote:Any recommendations on good adblock application? And what is the usefulness of an adblock application?

uBlock and AdNauseum, Google has been doing a good job of countering AdBlock or at the very least targeting its users. Like the AdBlock mobile browser doesn't work with google services anymore. I blame its popularity but I havent noticed big problems with the others (assuming you can install them).
Galloism wrote:Or we can go with feminism doesn't exist. We all imagined it. Collectively.
You can't fight the friction
Women belong in the kitchen
Men belong in the kitchen
Everyone belongs in the kitchen
Kitchen has food
I have brought dishonor to my gaming clan
Achesia wrote:Threads like this is why I need to stop coming to NSG....

Marethian Lupanar of Teladre wrote:A bright and cheerful mountain village of chapel-goers~

The Archregimancy wrote:
Hagia Sophia is best church.

Major-Tom wrote:Why am I full of apathy?

I'm just here to be the peanut gallery
уσυ нανєи'т gσт тнє fυℓℓ єffє¢т

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:58 am

Source: http://uk.pcmag.com/nvidia-shield-tv/91 ... ebrity-pho

I think this seems to be a small proof-of-concept step towards creating the Swiss Army Knife for creating roleplay characters without ripping photos off the Wikimedia Commons or something – but it is missing one important thing that Nvidia is widely known for: 3D rendering.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

The Alexanderians
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alexanderians » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:56 pm

Minoa wrote:Source: http://uk.pcmag.com/nvidia-shield-tv/91 ... ebrity-pho

I think this seems to be a small proof-of-concept step towards creating the Swiss Army Knife for creating roleplay characters without ripping photos off the Wikimedia Commons or something – but it is missing one important thing that Nvidia is widely known for: 3D rendering.

"AI"
Galloism wrote:Or we can go with feminism doesn't exist. We all imagined it. Collectively.
Kitchen has food

Marethian Lupanar of Teladre wrote:A bright and cheerful mountain village of chapel-goers~

The Archregimancy wrote:

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:35 pm

The Alexanderians wrote:
Minoa wrote:Source: http://uk.pcmag.com/nvidia-shield-tv/91 ... ebrity-pho

"AI"

It can't be AI without 3D in my opinion (otherwise people will just be talking to a faceless device). :p

Seraven
Senator

Founded: Jun 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Seraven » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:09 pm

So I just need to google Adblock/AdNaseum/uBlock and look for their official sites then download it from their site and installs it normally, or there is an unique way for that?

Also for reference, I mainly use Microsoft's Internet Explorer on Windows 10.
Last edited by Seraven on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Copper can change as its quality went down.
Gold can't change, for its quality never went down.
The Alma Mater wrote:
Seraven wrote:I know right! Whites enslaved the natives, they killed them, they converted them forcibly, they acted like a better human beings than the Muslims.

An excellent example of why allowing unrestricted immigration of people with a very different culture might not be the best idea ever :P

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:09 pm

Seraven wrote:So I just need to google Adblock/AdNaseum/uBlock and look for their official sites then download it from their site and installs it normally, or there is an unique way for that?

uBlock Origin only supports Firefox and Chrome. Adblock Plus supports Internet Explorer. The best option is indeed to only download from official sites: the Windows Store has a sour reputation from the long time that it took for Microsoft to actually promise to remove fake applications and scams.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:51 am

So Firefox 57 "Quantum" has arrived. The version of the web browser which doesn't have support for any legacy extensions. I'm impressed with the page loading in that now it is a bit more like Google Chrome in terms of performance, but it remains to be seen if I can go back to using it as my main. I have yet to determine if it is still a memory hog or not, after extended use.

Does anyone here like it so far? This is effectively another major revamp of the browser by Mozilla. There will be limited add-ons for now, because many developers have yet to move away completely from legacy methods which now aren't compatible.
Last edited by Saiwania on Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:58 am, edited 4 times in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:43 am

Saiwania wrote:So Firefox 57 "Quantum" has arrived. The version of the web browser which doesn't have support for any legacy extensions. I'm impressed with the page loading in that now it is a bit more like Google Chrome in terms of performance, but it remains to be seen if I can go back to using it as my main. I have yet to determine if it is still a memory hog or not, after extended use.

Does anyone here like it so far? This is effectively another major revamp of the browser by Mozilla. There will be limited add-ons for now, because many developers have yet to move away completely from legacy methods which now aren't compatible.

Today is W-Day for me: that is, Waterfox is now my main browser after using Firefox since forever. There is no doubt that Firefox served me well, but a majority of the extensions I use still depend on use pre-WebExtension technology. NoScript has also fallen behind schedule.

The only reason I dropped ChatZilla was because it has not been updated in months. I am still looking for a replacement IRC extension.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:17 pm

Minoa wrote:Today is W-Day for me: that is, Waterfox is now my main browser after using Firefox since forever. There is no doubt that Firefox served me well, but a majority of the extensions I use still depend on use pre-WebExtension technology. NoScript has also fallen behind schedule.

You should eventually give regular Firefox a chance, there is a ton to like about it.

Some extensions have alternatives that perform much the same function, but is ready for WebExtension compatibility. The new AdBlock Plus looks different, but isn't in any way inferior to the legacy version. It is quite nice to now be able to update every filter simultaneously for example. I've been testing uMatrix as a stand-in for NoScript, instead of lists it is a more visual approach that uses a color coded grid; it is quite cool.

I'm in the same boat as you, only I'm using Pale Moon instead for the time being. I had to abandon Firefox when Australis was introduced, but it gradually became good enough for me to come back to it. I expect much the same with this change. A new framework is rarely great until 3 months later or so, when everyone else has caught up and it enjoys full third party support.
Last edited by Saiwania on Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:45 pm

Saiwania wrote:
Minoa wrote:Today is W-Day for me: that is, Waterfox is now my main browser after using Firefox since forever. There is no doubt that Firefox served me well, but a majority of the extensions I use still depend on use pre-WebExtension technology. NoScript has also fallen behind schedule.

You should eventually give regular Firefox a chance, there is a ton to like about it.

Some extensions have alternatives that perform much the same function, but is ready for WebExtension compatibility. The new AdBlock Plus looks different, but isn't in any way inferior to the legacy version. It is quite nice to now be able to update every filter simultaneously for example. I've been testing uMatrix as a stand-in for NoScript, instead of lists it is a more visual approach that uses a color coded grid; it is quite cool.

I'm in the same boat as you, only I'm using Pale Moon instead for the time being. I had to abandon Firefox when Australis was introduced, but it gradually became good enough for me to come back to it. I expect much the same with this change. A new framework is rarely great until 3 months later or so, when everyone else has caught up and it enjoys full third party support.

I have not stated that I have given up on Firefox forever, but the decision to end legacy addons right now is too soon that the release Firefox 57 is too early for regular day-to-day use.

I have tried uMatrix but the options are a bit too complicated, although I agree that NoScript could give us the option to allow or block by subdomain (e.g. www.google.tld vs ad-server-thing.google.tld).

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:54 pm

Minoa wrote:
Saiwania wrote:So Firefox 57 "Quantum" has arrived. The version of the web browser which doesn't have support for any legacy extensions. I'm impressed with the page loading in that now it is a bit more like Google Chrome in terms of performance, but it remains to be seen if I can go back to using it as my main. I have yet to determine if it is still a memory hog or not, after extended use.

Today is W-Day for me: that is, Waterfox is now my main browser after using Firefox since forever. There is no doubt that Firefox served me well, but a majority of the extensions I use still depend on use pre-WebExtension technology. NoScript has also fallen behind schedule.

The only reason I dropped ChatZilla was because it has not been updated in months. I am still looking for a replacement IRC extension.

I'm debating whether or not it is worth switching to Waterfox. I have been using Firefox since I was converted from IE, and it has been my primary browser until I decided to pick up Chrome. Now I use Vivaldi as my primary browser.
1 John 1:9

Grand Britannia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 15, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Grand Britannia » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:01 pm

Seraven wrote:So I just need to google Adblock/AdNaseum/uBlock and look for their official sites then download it from their site and installs it normally, or there is an unique way for that?

Well, you see, some of those aren-

Nevermind everything, get a decent browser first.
ଘ( ˘ ᵕ˘)つ----x .*・。゚・ᵕ

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:11 pm

Minoa wrote:I have tried uMatrix but the options are a bit too complicated, although I agree that NoScript could give us the option to allow or block by subdomain (e.g. http://www.google.tld vs ad-server-thing.google.tld).

NoScript is almost equally as complicated to use. There is effectively no way to tell which scripts are needed for a website to not be broken and which scripts are just useless advertising or bloat. You only have time consuming trial and error to go off of, if trying to build a whitelist or a blacklist, and that is its greatest weakness.

I don't think there exists a good way to handle scripts. It does keep your browser significantly more secure and safe, but the cost is that any time you visit a new website- it may take forever to fully configure each individual URL destination to your liking. Two dozen different scripts doing god knows what- is unfortunately typical for a lot of websites now.
Last edited by Saiwania on Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:47 am

Saiwania wrote:
Minoa wrote:I have tried uMatrix but the options are a bit too complicated, although I agree that NoScript could give us the option to allow or block by subdomain (e.g. http://www.google.tld vs ad-server-thing.google.tld).

NoScript is almost equally as complicated to use. There is effectively no way to tell which scripts are needed for a website to not be broken and which scripts are just useless advertising or bloat. You only have time consuming trial and error to go off of, if trying to build a whitelist or a blacklist, and that is its greatest weakness.

I don't think there exists a good way to handle scripts. It does keep your browser significantly more secure and safe, but the cost is that any time you visit a new website- it may take forever to fully configure each individual URL destination to your liking. Two dozen different scripts doing god knows what- is unfortunately typical for a lot of websites now.

In any case, I will have to find some time to create my initial set of allowed domains on uMatrix and then export it as a text file to a safe place, so if the browser profile goes haywire I do not have to spend hours trying to reconfigure it to my requirements.

-Ocelot-
Minister

Founded: Jun 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby -Ocelot- » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:13 am

How good are the upcoming Ryzen APUs for 720p or 1080p gaming? I'm thinking of building a Ryzen APU system in 1-2 years because I rarely play any demanding games anyway. Are the graphics in them better than A-series APUs or are they just for the basics? Also how good are integrated graphics in general when coupled with good RAM? Are they seriously lacking compared to graphics cards which have their own VRAM?

Been using Chrome for many years and switched to FF 57 to test it out and I'm going to keep it. In most cases it's noticeably faster than Chrome. And Chrome is already very fast. No crashes or freezes so far. Last time I used FF it was slow and occasionally unresponsive compared to Chrome, so it feels good to see FF making a comeback.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:07 am

-Ocelot- wrote:How good are the upcoming Ryzen APUs for 720p or 1080p gaming?

Not very, but it depends what you're doing. As always, wait until people actually get their hands on retail models.

I'm thinking of building a Ryzen APU system in 1-2 years because I rarely play any demanding games anyway. Are the graphics in them better than A-series APUs or are they just for the basics?

Should be better than the A-series APUs, but that isn't saying much.

Also how good are integrated graphics in general when coupled with good RAM? Are they seriously lacking compared to graphics cards which have their own VRAM?

Yes. Video RAM isn't the major issue here: raw horsepower is.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:04 pm

So ever since the power went out the last time, my speakers keep making a weird static buzzy noise here and there, off and on. I think I found out it was my cellphone interfering with it, but it didn't do this before until the power went out. My phone being close to it wasn't a problem at all until then. And from what I can gather, my sister and my dads computer speakers have been doing the same thing since then. Seems kind of...weird and I kinda want to know why.
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

Grand Britannia
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Grand Britannia » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:31 am

Does someone know how I could run/emulate Paint.NET to be used on Mac OS?
ଘ( ˘ ᵕ˘)つ----x .*・。゚・ᵕ

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:15 am

Grand Britannia wrote:Does someone know how I could run/emulate Paint.NET to be used on Mac OS?

Emulate through WINE, or if you have a machine capable enough, run it through a VM using Windows 10.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Grand Britannia
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Grand Britannia » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:12 am

Soldati Senza Confini wrote:
Grand Britannia wrote:Does someone know how I could run/emulate Paint.NET to be used on Mac OS?

Emulate through WINE, or if you have a machine capable enough, run it through a VM using Windows 10.

Would using WINE hinder using peripherals on the program?
ଘ( ˘ ᵕ˘)つ----x .*・。゚・ᵕ

The Alexanderians
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alexanderians » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:02 am

GIMP might work on Mac OS if Paint.NET won't.
Kitchen has food

The Archregimancy wrote:

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:02 am

If it wasn't payware (£14.99), I would have said Pixelmator.

Grand Britannia
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Grand Britannia » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:55 am

I checked around the Wine website and apperently Paint.NET does not work under it. So I installed GIMP to replace it.

Learning how to use it hasn't been as bad as I thought, but the simplicity of Paint.NET is missed.
ଘ( ˘ ᵕ˘)つ----x .*・。゚・ᵕ

The Alexanderians
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alexanderians » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:58 am

Anyone know any good resources on Assembly help? Rare flower that they are they really only have help for the 8086 and even that can be dodgy.
Kitchen has food

The Archregimancy wrote:

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:49 pm

Well I have to say, I'm not impressed with WebExtensions, it sucks. I say this because it has ruined the UI of NoScript and it may well be a long while before it is sorted out. The old UI of NoScript was good as it was, but isn't technically possible to implement anymore.
Sith Acolyte

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction