NATION

PASSWORD

General Music Discussion II

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Freezic Vast
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Freezic Vast » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:53 pm

Corrian wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:What kind of name is The 1975 for a band anyway? Those guys were born in like the 90's.

I mean their sound seems to have gone kinda retro, but still...

That's kind of what I like about The 1975, the sound is a mix of that pop and soul funk that makes it good, but it does baffle me that the band hasn't had a real hit. Songs like Chocolate, The Sound, Somebody Else, Give Yourself a Try and even the godawful song Love It If We Made It sound like perfect pop radio smashes, yet I never hear them at all on the radio. But apparently The 1975 is popular in the U.K., because of course they are, they are from Britain after all. And apparently they will release a new album in about 6 months from now, despite the fact A Brief Inquiry Into Online Relationships was just released less than 2 weeks ago.
20 year old, male from Pennsylvania and proud of it. Love sports like football, baseball and hockey, enjoy video games and TV. Music is love, music is life. I'm bi and conservative.
Nothing Breaks Like A Heart by Mark Ronson ft. Miley Cyrus
Tired, and bored, need sleep.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:56 pm

I hear one of their songs pretty regularly on the radio and I hate it.

Also with their new stuff, what I heard was okay but this song was awful. All I could think of was some of the worst auto tuned bands I've ever heard.
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

Freezic Vast
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Freezic Vast » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:01 pm

Corrian wrote:I hear one of their songs pretty regularly on the radio and I hate it.

Also with their new stuff, what I heard was okay but this song was awful. All I could think of was some of the worst auto tuned bands I've ever heard.

Oh yeah TOOTIMETOOTIMETOOTIME is one of the worst off their new album, because Matt sounds like he's on auto-pilot with the auto-tune not helping at all, the beat sounds weak as Hell and the lyrics are quite repeititve. Also fuck that title.

But come on this is worse
Last edited by Freezic Vast on Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
20 year old, male from Pennsylvania and proud of it. Love sports like football, baseball and hockey, enjoy video games and TV. Music is love, music is life. I'm bi and conservative.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:04 pm

Freezic Vast wrote:
Corrian wrote:I hear one of their songs pretty regularly on the radio and I hate it.

Oh yeah TOOTIMETOOTIMETOOTIME is one of the worst off their new album, because Matt sounds like he's on auto-pilot with the auto-tune not helping at all, the beat sounds weak as Hell and the lyrics are quite repeititve. Also fuck that title.

All this auto tune stuff does is remind me too much of Kill Paradise and that is NOT A GOOD MEMORY as they're one of the worst bands I've ever heard.
My Last.FM and RYM

Freezic Vast
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Freezic Vast » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:06 pm

Corrian wrote:
Freezic Vast wrote:Oh yeah TOOTIMETOOTIMETOOTIME is one of the worst off their new album, because Matt sounds like he's on auto-pilot with the auto-tune not helping at all, the beat sounds weak as Hell and the lyrics are quite repeititve. Also fuck that title.

All this auto tune stuff does is remind me too much of Kill Paradise and that is NOT A GOOD MEMORY as they're one of the worst bands I've ever heard.

Normally The 1975 are not this bad but, my God did they go overboard with the auto-tune and the sort of millennial pandering that would make AJR blush. Oh and AJR are like the worst thing ever to hit the indie-pop scene, if you can even call AJR indie-pop that is.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:07 pm

Just listening to them, and indie pop seems appropriate. They sound like everything I dislike about most stuff labeled "indie"
My Last.FM and RYM

Freezic Vast
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Freezic Vast » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:11 pm

Corrian wrote:Just listening to them, and indie pop seems appropriate. They sound like everything I dislike about most stuff labeled "indie"

I swear they sound like the exact type of thing that makes people hate pop, indie and indie-pop. Overproduced as Hell, weak ass vocals, generic lyrics, and downright millennial pandering that seems like a fucking cash grabs from their record label to trend hop on this shit. And their The Click album, worst album of the decade.

Ryukyu
Attaché

Founded: Oct 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ryukyu » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:14 pm

never expected to listen to much of ariana grande's music thank u, next a bop
sfs georgetown ic wiki

Freezic Vast
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Freezic Vast » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:50 pm

Ryukyu wrote:never expected to listen to much of ariana grande's music thank u, next a bop

I like some of her music, but I feel she is quite overrated, and Thank U, Next is probably the definitive proof of that. It feels quite boring and forgettable for a "#1 hit"

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:18 pm

Almost all "#1 hits" are forgettable.
My Last.FM and RYM

Freezic Vast
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Freezic Vast » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:27 pm

Corrian wrote:Almost all "#1 hits" are forgettable.

No not true, I just don't expect most people on here to give a fuck about hits and just hate them for being mainstream.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:13 pm

Freezic Vast wrote:
Corrian wrote:Almost all "#1 hits" are forgettable.

No not true, I just don't expect most people on here to give a fuck about hits and just hate them for being mainstream.

I legitimately find most #1 hits to be unforgettable or straight up trash. It's not because they're mainstream, it's just that the mainstream mostly sucks to me.
My Last.FM and RYM

Freezic Vast
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Freezic Vast » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:17 pm

Corrian wrote:
Freezic Vast wrote:No not true, I just don't expect most people on here to give a fuck about hits and just hate them for being mainstream.

I legitimately find most #1 hits to be unforgettable or straight up trash. It's not because they're mainstream, it's just that the mainstream mostly sucks to me.

That's... basically what I meant. I always expected most people on here to be more rock/metalheads anyway.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:54 pm

Freezic Vast wrote:
Corrian wrote:I legitimately find most #1 hits to be unforgettable or straight up trash. It's not because they're mainstream, it's just that the mainstream mostly sucks to me.

That's... basically what I meant. I always expected most people on here to be more rock/metalheads anyway.

Oh, I like a bit of everything really. Like Spotify made me a "Your Favorite Songs of the Year" playlist apparently and it has synthpop, synthwave, progressive metal, alternative rock, industrial, and so on on it apparently.
My Last.FM and RYM

Ghost Land
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 14, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Ghost Land » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:12 am

Corrian wrote:
Freezic Vast wrote:No not true, I just don't expect most people on here to give a fuck about hits and just hate them for being mainstream.

The mainstream of today is what sucks. 1983 is where it's at. ;)

New wave (my favourite genre) was at its peak, the trends I don't like from the 70s were all but phased out, and quite a few great artists either had major commercial breakthroughs (e.g. Def Leppard) or reached the quality peak of their career (e.g. The Human League, "Fascination"). Out of Wikipedia's list of the top five hits worldwide from that year, I like all of them. Even the one- and two-hit wonders of 1982/83 were generally good, particularly Kajagoogoo's "Too Shy" (released in January 1983), which is legitimately a 5/6 song.
Forum account/puppet of 60s Music.
Originally joined 24 April 2012.
All lives matter. Race, age, and gender are unimportant.
Me OOC
Awesome/Funny Quotes
Right-wing libertarian
This nation reflects the OPPOSITE of my views.
Pro: Donald Trump, tougher border laws, 1st/2nd Amendments, benevolent dictators, libertarianism, capitalism
Anti: Democratic Party, The Clintons, Joe Biden, Nancy Pelosi, abortion, gun control, #MeToo, communism, racism and racial nationalism, affirmative action, SJWs

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:09 pm

Ghost Land wrote:
Corrian wrote:I legitimately find most #1 hits to be unforgettable or straight up trash. It's not because they're mainstream, it's just that the mainstream mostly sucks to me.

New wave (my favourite genre) was at its peak, the trends I don't like from the 70s were all but phased out, and quite a few great artists either had major commercial breakthroughs (e.g. Def Leppard) or reached the quality peak of their career (e.g. The Human League, "Fascination"). Out of Wikipedia's list of the top five hits worldwide from that year, I like all of them. Even the one- and two-hit wonders of 1982/83 were generally good, particularly Kajagoogoo's "Too Shy" (released in January 1983), which is legitimately a 5/6 song.

Def Leppard to me is one of the worst bands I've ever heard. I despise most of the popular 80's music. I'm very glad I didn't have to live through that era. I can probably find more 70's stuff I like and I'm not even a big fan of 70's mainstream music either.
My Last.FM and RYM

Galborea
Minister

Founded: May 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Galborea » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:29 pm

The turn of the decade from Eighties to Nineties was probably the most innovative period in music up until that point. The more accessible elements of the alternative scene were getting big and being replaced in the underground by even weirder stuff, electronic music was exploring more experimental and introspective territory, shoegaze was at its finest, noise rock was in full bloom, hardcore punk was re-emerging in a more diverse form, the entire fucking rap scene was exploding with great stuff, post-rock was just beginning to appear in a very primitive yet promising form, and death and black metal were also paving the way for extreme majesty.

Cosumar
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosumar » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:32 pm

Galborea wrote:The turn of the decade from Eighties to Nineties was probably the most innovative period in music up until that point. The more accessible elements of the alternative scene were getting big and being replaced in the underground by even weirder stuff, electronic music was exploring more experimental and introspective territory, shoegaze was at its finest, noise rock was in full bloom, hardcore punk was re-emerging in a more diverse form, the entire fucking rap scene was exploding with great stuff, post-rock was just beginning to appear in a very primitive yet promising form, and death and black metal were also paving the way for extreme majesty.

Full agreement. I wish I'd been old enough in the 90s to appreciate all the golden ages various music scenes were experiencing.
Qualified: World Cups 54-59, 62, 73-83
President, World Lacrosse Fed.
World Bowl VP

Champions: DBC 35/44/45, AOCAF 54, Eagle Cup VII, WCoH 33, CoH 64, IBC 18, NSCF 10/11/15/16, WLC 20/21/26, Arena Bowl I & III
2nd Place: AOCAF 57, NSCF 13, WBC 34, WLC 12/19/23, AOHC VI, Arena Bowl V
3rd Place: AOCAF 55, CoH 45 & 62, WLC 18 & 24, BoI VI

Host: WC 78 & 82, CoH 69 & 74, BoF 62, World Bowl 27, WLC 20, Beach Cup II & V
NEWSWIRE
Your friendly neighborhood Metalhead
Last.fm | RYM | Essential Cosumarcore
Political Compass
U of Texas grad livin in NC
Dallas sports
Secularist, Environmentalist, LGBT/BLM/feminist ally, Whovian
Author, Issue 319: Sizing Up The Competition

Galborea
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Galborea » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:27 pm

Cosumar wrote:
Galborea wrote:The turn of the decade from Eighties to Nineties was probably the most innovative period in music up until that point. The more accessible elements of the alternative scene were getting big and being replaced in the underground by even weirder stuff, electronic music was exploring more experimental and introspective territory, shoegaze was at its finest, noise rock was in full bloom, hardcore punk was re-emerging in a more diverse form, the entire fucking rap scene was exploding with great stuff, post-rock was just beginning to appear in a very primitive yet promising form, and death and black metal were also paving the way for extreme majesty.

Full agreement. I wish I'd been old enough in the 90s to appreciate all the golden ages various music scenes were experiencing.

With all of that being said, it's still a product of time and thus resulted in a lot of crap as well (ahem mainstream types of grunge, nu-metal, generic Britpop bands).

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:06 pm

I would say the 70's was one of the best too solely because like every genre I see originated from the 70's.
My Last.FM and RYM

Cadonica
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 19, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cadonica » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:44 pm

Ghost Land wrote:

The only reason is that it was 35 years ago, all the mainstream shit has faded and only the best are remembered :p

Just look back at 2018 in 2050s and you'll think "Man, the mainstream was great". Living experience right here, I pretty much hated all the popular songs from the turn of the millenium back then. But the other day I listened to Blue Da Ba Dee and thought it wasn't half bad even though I despised it back then.

Time changes people's views on music in two ways: 1) Crap fades away and only the best remain, so the old times look better than they really were and 2) When the songs aren't overplayed to death people might start to enjoy them once again.

Now, I might be totally wrong and mainstream of '18 will still be viewed as shit in the new 50s but if the past is anything to go by then no.

TL;DR old music is good because no one remembers the bad songs.
Last edited by Cadonica on Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IC
Steam, Last.fm, RYM
Call me Cad or Sisu.
That's what they said:Once you go black metal...

That's what I said:
That Finnish bastard. ~2011
Sleeping is overrated. ~2012
I'm only gay with females. ~2013
Wings are sexy and you know it! ~2013.

Freezic Vast
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Freezic Vast » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:13 pm

Cadonica wrote:
Ghost Land wrote:The mainstream of today is what sucks. 1983 is where it's at. ;)

The only reason is that it was 35 years ago, all the mainstream shit has faded and only the best are remembered :p

Just look back at 2018 in 2050s and you'll think "Man, the mainstream was great". Living experience right here, I pretty much hated all the popular songs from the turn of the millenium back then. But the other day I listened to Blue Da Ba Dee and thought it wasn't half bad even though I despised it back then.

Time changes people's views on music in two ways: 1) Crap fades away and only the best remain, so the old times look better than they really were and 2) When the songs aren't overplayed to death people might start to enjoy them once again.

Now, I might be totally wrong and mainstream of '18 will still be viewed as shit in the new 50s but if the past is anything to go by then no.

False I still remember Disco Duck as one of the worst of the 70s.

Galborea
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Galborea » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:24 am

Freezic Vast wrote:
Cadonica wrote:The only reason is that it was 35 years ago, all the mainstream shit has faded and only the best are remembered :p

False I still remember Disco Duck as one of the worst of the 70s.

Okay seriously, Disco Duck is fucking awesome.

Freezic Vast
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Freezic Vast » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:27 pm

Galborea wrote:
Freezic Vast wrote:False I still remember Disco Duck as one of the worst of the 70s.

Okay seriously, Disco Duck is fucking awesome.

No, no it really isn't, it's one of the songs people think of when they think of Disco = bad. And I don't hate Disco.

Ghost Land
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 14, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Ghost Land » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:00 pm

Cadonica wrote:
Ghost Land wrote:The mainstream of today is what sucks. 1983 is where it's at. ;)

Okay, don't get me wrong, I know there was a lot of crap back then. "Escape" (1979) by Rupert Holmes is just as bad as anything coming out now, and bands like REO Speedwagon and Chicago stunk up the 80s with sappy ballad after sappy ballad after sappy ballad too. Heck, 1982 is also the year that produced "Sexual Healing" *barfs*.

Here's the thing though: in 1983, 70% of music was crap and 30% ranged from good to downright awesome. In 2018, 70% of music is crap and 30% is "meh" at best. And there are quite a few 70s and 80s songs I could do without hearing for several years due to having them blasted everywhere, including commonly-cited classics such as "Take On Me", "1999", and "September".
Last edited by Ghost Land on Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forum account/puppet of 60s Music.
Originally joined 24 April 2012.
All lives matter. Race, age, and gender are unimportant.
Me OOC
Awesome/Funny Quotes
Right-wing libertarian
This nation reflects the OPPOSITE of my views.
Pro: Donald Trump, tougher border laws, 1st/2nd Amendments, benevolent dictators, libertarianism, capitalism
Anti: Democratic Party, The Clintons, Joe Biden, Nancy Pelosi, abortion, gun control, #MeToo, communism, racism and racial nationalism, affirmative action, SJWs

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction