NATION

PASSWORD

General Music Discussion II

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:34 am

New Wardruna music video. I think they had this song before, but this one is just the singer and one instrument.
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:54 am

So I think I like Muse' new album more than a lot of their recent stuff. I mean yeah, it's still Muse being...Muse and whatever they do nowadays, but admittedly I like it. But they've always been kind of my "guilty pleasure" band. They're like super cheesy but I've come to accept it for the most part.

Freaking Muse doing synthwave, because they full on don't give a fuck anymore.
Whatever the fuck these two are

Still probably my favorite though
My Last.FM and RYM

Thai-Viet Empire
Secretary

Founded: Feb 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Thai-Viet Empire » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:31 am

This Nation doesn’t represent my political views

Korea

Bodobol
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 12, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Bodobol » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:09 am

Oxnard is so much fun. So much fun.

The aux port in my car broke, so I've been burning playlists & albums onto blank CDs, true 2005 style. 'Tis a good time.
Last.fmRead my blogshe/her

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:54 pm

Bodobol wrote:Oxnard is so much fun. So much fun.

The aux port in my car broke, so I've been burning playlists & albums onto blank CDs, true 2005 style. 'Tis a good time.

My dad buys stuff off of Bandcamp regularly and burns it onto CD's for the car. It's fun.

But again, we're driving a car from 1992...And before that one from 1999.
My Last.FM and RYM

Cosumar
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosumar » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:23 pm

It's been awhile since I've been this blown away by a new discovery. I must share.

Such brilliant mastery of language... this is revolutionary poetry set to music! Music that is simple and understated, yet ominous and existential.

Chico Baurque would seriously be as celebrated as Bob Dylan as a master of audio-storytelling if his songs were in English instead of Portuguese... Seriously, read the translated lyrics in that video and follow along for the whole song. You won't regret it.
Last edited by Cosumar on Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Qualified: World Cups 54-59, 62, 73-83
President, World Lacrosse Fed.
World Bowl VP

Champions: DBC 35/44/45, AOCAF 54, Eagle Cup VII, WCoH 33, CoH 64, IBC 18, NSCF 10/11/15/16, WLC 20/21/26, Arena Bowl I & III
2nd Place: AOCAF 57, NSCF 13, WBC 34, WLC 12/19/23, AOHC VI, Arena Bowl V
3rd Place: AOCAF 55, CoH 45 & 62, WLC 18 & 24, BoI VI

Host: WC 78 & 82, CoH 69 & 74, BoF 62, World Bowl 27, WLC 20, Beach Cup II & V
NEWSWIRE
Your friendly neighborhood Metalhead
Last.fm | RYM | Essential Cosumarcore
Political Compass
U of Texas grad livin in NC
Dallas sports
Secularist, Environmentalist, LGBT/BLM/feminist ally, Whovian
Author, Issue 319: Sizing Up The Competition

Bodobol
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 12, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Bodobol » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:25 pm

Cosumar wrote:It's been awhile since I've been this blown away by a new discovery. I must share.

Such brilliant mastery of language... this is revolutionary poetry set to music! Music that is simple and understated, yet ominous and existential.

Chico Baurque would seriously be as celebrated as Bob Dylan as a master of audio-storytelling if his songs were in English instead of Portuguese... Seriously, read the translated lyrics in that video and follow along for the whole song. You won't regret it.

I wasn't a huge fan of the cinematic orchestrations that made up most of the music, but the lyrical twist through the second half of the song is fucking amazing.

Corrian wrote:
Bodobol wrote:Oxnard is so much fun. So much fun.

My dad buys stuff off of Bandcamp regularly and burns it onto CD's for the car. It's fun.

But again, we're driving a car from 1992...And before that one from 1999.

I haven't bought any music in a while due to Spotify, so most of my CDs right now are what I jammed out to a year or two ago. Still fun though.
Last.fmRead my blogshe/her

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:22 pm

Bodobol wrote:I haven't bought any music in a while due to Spotify, so most of my CDs right now are what I jammed out to a year or two ago. Still fun though.

My dad has close to an hour commute, so he likes to have music that isn't trash radio to listen to. Minus the occasional interesting thing from KEXP (A radio station that actually plays stuff that isn't just big. I've heard Sigur Ros on it before)
My Last.FM and RYM

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:34 pm

My Last.FM and RYM

Cadonica
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 19, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cadonica » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:24 pm

That feeling when you re-discover a song you've overlooked for 4 years. Instead of listening it to once or twice a year like before, I've been listening to it well over a dozen times in the past week, it's just so perfect and how the hell have I managed to overlook it, I don't even know.

The song in question being Emerald Rising by Lueur Verte

Like seriously, one of the best synthwave songs ever.
IC
Steam, Last.fm, RYM
Call me Cad or Sisu.
That's what they said:Once you go black metal...

That's what I said:
That Finnish bastard. ~2011
Sleeping is overrated. ~2012
I'm only gay with females. ~2013
Wings are sexy and you know it! ~2013.

Cosumar
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosumar » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:52 am

The beat with the sound effects that drops around 40 seconds is pretty hard. I dig.

Cadonica wrote:That feeling when you re-discover a song you've overlooked for 4 years. Instead of listening it to once or twice a year like before, I've been listening to it well over a dozen times in the past week, it's just so perfect and how the hell have I managed to overlook it, I don't even know.

The song in question being Emerald Rising by Lueur Verte

Like seriously, one of the best synthwave songs ever.

This was also pretty enjoyable! Don't know enough synthwave to say it's one of the best ever or anything though.
Qualified: World Cups 54-59, 62, 73-83
President, World Lacrosse Fed.
World Bowl VP

Champions: DBC 35/44/45, AOCAF 54, Eagle Cup VII, WCoH 33, CoH 64, IBC 18, NSCF 10/11/15/16, WLC 20/21/26, Arena Bowl I & III
2nd Place: AOCAF 57, NSCF 13, WBC 34, WLC 12/19/23, AOHC VI, Arena Bowl V
3rd Place: AOCAF 55, CoH 45 & 62, WLC 18 & 24, BoI VI

Host: WC 78 & 82, CoH 69 & 74, BoF 62, World Bowl 27, WLC 20, Beach Cup II & V
NEWSWIRE
Your friendly neighborhood Metalhead
Last.fm | RYM | Essential Cosumarcore
Political Compass
U of Texas grad livin in NC
Dallas sports
Secularist, Environmentalist, LGBT/BLM/feminist ally, Whovian
Author, Issue 319: Sizing Up The Competition

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:14 pm

Jesus H Christ the newer Autechre albums are insanely long. They had a 5 CD long one in 2016 and now have a 4 CD long one (All posted separately on RYM?). So essentially in 2 years they posted 9 albums in a sense.

Mind you this is off the album I already considered long, at 2 hours, from 2013.

Edit: The 2018 stuff comes up to 8 hours. EIGHT FREAKING HOURS.
Last edited by Corrian on Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Last.FM and RYM

Galborea
Minister

Founded: May 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Galborea » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:29 am

New Grimes single kind of sucks.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:17 pm

Galborea wrote:New Grimes single kind of sucks.

It's uh...something.

Oddly I don't hate it, but I'm not really sure what to think of it either. I thought it was weird she had a metal feature with Poppy but suddenly I'm kind of understanding. Lyrical themes are similar too.
Last edited by Corrian on Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Last.FM and RYM

Galborea
Minister

Founded: May 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Galborea » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:50 pm

Corrian wrote:
Galborea wrote:New Grimes single kind of sucks.

It's uh...something.

Oddly I don't hate it, but I'm not really sure what to think of it either. I thought it was weird she had a metal feature with Poppy but suddenly I'm kind of understanding. Lyrical themes are similar too.

And now they're at odds or something. I don't really know anything about Poppy but from what I hear her "manager" is basically in charge of everything?

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:26 pm

Galborea wrote:
Corrian wrote:It's uh...something.

And now they're at odds or something. I don't really know anything about Poppy but from what I hear her "manager" is basically in charge of everything?

I don't really know much about that whole situation. But for some reason I like a decent amount of Poppy.
My Last.FM and RYM

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:36 am

Okay, so I decided to listen to Visions by Grimes out of curiosity, since I've tended to avoid it over the last few years despite listening to Art Angels and digging some of it more than I expected (Though I still wasn't a fan of a lot of it). I was originally never crazy about Genesis or Oblivion when I listened to it years ago when I heard the name Grimes, but I'm actually really liking like 4 of the last 5 songs on the album. Be a Body, Symphonia, Nightmusic, and Skin are all superb. I do also like Genesis and Oblivion more now but they're not even my favorite songs on the album.
My Last.FM and RYM

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:20 pm

Wasn't big on their last album, but this Health song for their new album is superb
My Last.FM and RYM

Freezic Vast
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Freezic Vast » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:48 pm

Well... The 1975's new album is trash, but apparently people are praising it as some sort of OK Computer for the late 2010s-2020s. Like there are two songs I legit think are worth listening to, It's Not Living (If It's Not With You) and Give Yourself a Try.

That, the entire album of DAYTONA and The Story Of Adidon are amazing.
20 year old, male from Pennsylvania and proud of it. Love sports like football, baseball and hockey, enjoy video games and TV. Music is love, music is life. I'm bi and conservative.
Nothing Breaks Like A Heart by Mark Ronson ft. Miley Cyrus
Tired, and bored, need sleep.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:29 am

Yeah, there is a weird praise going on for The 1975. Everything I know from them previously is trash, and these new songs I've heard definitely don't constitute "The Ok Computer of the late 2010's". Honestly have no idea where that's coming from.

Yes, it sounds like less trash than their other stuff, but that's not saying much.
Last edited by Corrian on Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Last.FM and RYM

Freezic Vast
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Freezic Vast » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:09 am

Corrian wrote:Yeah, there is a weird praise going on for The 1975. Everything I know from them previously is trash, and these new songs I've heard definitely don't constitute "The Ok Computer of the late 2010's". Honestly have no idea where that's coming from.

Yes, it sounds like less trash than their other stuff, but that's not saying much.

Honestly I like The 1975, but this new album, umm no not good. It's either overcooked production with shitty social commentary bs or undercooked, weak and boring and generic. It's like the worst of both words to make a disorganized, choppy and really weak album. Also I don't get how Love It If We Made It is one of the best, it's really one of the worst. Also Matt's vocals are so bad here and the autotune does not help.
Last edited by Freezic Vast on Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
20 year old, male from Pennsylvania and proud of it. Love sports like football, baseball and hockey, enjoy video games and TV. Music is love, music is life. I'm bi and conservative.

Ghost Land
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 14, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Ghost Land » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:17 am

I've heard exactly one song from the 1975, namely "The Sound" (2016), and I didn't like it. This was also around the time I stopped listening to current hit radio in general.

Now how about an actually good song from 1975?
Last edited by Ghost Land on Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forum account/puppet of 60s Music.
Originally joined 24 April 2012.
All lives matter. Race, age, and gender are unimportant.
Me OOC
Awesome/Funny Quotes
Right-wing libertarian
This nation reflects the OPPOSITE of my views.
Pro: Donald Trump, tougher border laws, 1st/2nd Amendments, benevolent dictators, libertarianism, capitalism
Anti: Democratic Party, The Clintons, Joe Biden, Nancy Pelosi, abortion, gun control, #MeToo, communism, racism and racial nationalism, affirmative action, SJWs

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:34 pm

What kind of name is The 1975 for a band anyway? Those guys were born in like the 90's.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Freezic Vast
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Freezic Vast » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:45 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:What kind of name is The 1975 for a band anyway? Those guys were born in like the 90's.

I... have no idea. Also I think the frontman Matt Healy was born in the late 80s?

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:48 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:What kind of name is The 1975 for a band anyway? Those guys were born in like the 90's.

I mean their sound seems to have gone kinda retro, but still...
My Last.FM and RYM

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction