NATION

PASSWORD

General Music Discussion II

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:10 pm

Cadonica wrote:I didn't even follow Grammy's, but I heard that Black Sabbath's God Is Dead? won best metal performance. So that makes me happy.

Oh yeah, I forgot that they were nominated.

I don't follow them, either, I just saw some nominations on a Spotify advertisement.

I think the Grammy's is a good example of how worthless Award's Ceremonies are overall, though.

Fasdokl wrote:Yeah, this. Also, the new Led Zeppelin album won something, too. So yeah.

Led Zeppelin still exists?
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

Jermerica
Attaché

Founded: Jun 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jermerica » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:11 pm

Corrian wrote:
Fasdokl wrote:The Grammys inspired me to buy that Lorde album. Somehow I didn't get this before. Wow. This is amazing stuff.

Only real good thing nominated at the Grammy's...

It's rare for the Grammy's to be worthwhile, anyway. They just nominate the latest "Big hits", not technically stuff that is the highest of quality.

I'm jut glad daft punk was the big winner. They deserved it

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:15 pm

The Royal Kingdom of Quebec wrote:List of artists I like at the moment

-Birdy
-Bon Iver
-Arcade Fire
-Malik(Inuit-Greenlander musician)
-Simon and Garfunkel
-The Bee Gees
-Led Zeppelin
-Westlife
-Drake
-Swings(Korean rapper)
-Mad Clown(Korean rapper)

Lots of varieties, eh?

Only ones I really know on here is Birdy and Arcade Fire.

Jermerica wrote:Hardwell man. Good stuff. Saw him at tomorrowland, he was amazing. I also like onerepublic and the fray. I love it all.

Don't know Hardwell, but don't really care for the last 2 from what I have heard...

OneRepublic seems to be getting slowly worse, though.

Jermerica wrote:I'm jut glad daft punk was the big winner. They deserved it

I thought it was the worst album I listened to last year. Gave it a 5/10. Love like 3 songs and the rest bored me to death.

I just don't get the love for it. I can see what they're going for but it doesn't do anything for me, and was probably the most hyped album that disappointed me the most. Though, to be honest, I didn't expect much out of it from the beginning...

I think the 2nd worse, which has also been hugely hyped, was Queens of the Stone Age' new album, which I bumped up from a 5 to a 6 after a re-listen...

I didn't listen to anything absolutely terrible last year. Never do, because I prefer not to listen to something terrible through an entire album of terribleness.
My Last.FM and RYM

Ancient Magmia
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ancient Magmia » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:24 pm

Jermerica wrote:
Corrian wrote:Only real good thing nominated at the Grammy's...

It's rare for the Grammy's to be worthwhile, anyway. They just nominate the latest "Big hits", not technically stuff that is the highest of quality.

I'm jut glad daft punk was the big winner. They deserved it

Meh, I thought Kendrick Lamar should have won album of the year, or at least best rap album (Drake won it instead :roll: :palm: ).
I liked Random Access Memories but there's no way it should have won over GKMC.

I'm glad I accidentally missed them by not getting up from my nap, that would have been a waste. :p
Last edited by Ancient Magmia on Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. - George Orwell
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato
Dear Diary, I'm Having a Little Problem
Add 3984 to my post count

My Last.fm, Spotify profile, RYM, and Essential Magmiacore
Hip hop, jazz, reggae, soul/neo-soul, R&B, and funk fan

Volmachtia
Senator

Founded: Nov 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Volmachtia » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:54 pm

Corrian wrote:
Cadonica wrote:I didn't even follow Grammy's, but I heard that Black Sabbath's God Is Dead? won best metal performance. So that makes me happy.

Oh yeah, I forgot that they were nominated.

I don't follow them, either, I just saw some nominations on a Spotify advertisement.

I think the Grammy's is a good example of how worthless Award's Ceremonies are overall, though.

Fasdokl wrote:Yeah, this. Also, the new Led Zeppelin album won something, too. So yeah.

Sabbath's still kicking, new album and whatnot. Led Zeppelin did a one-off reunion in '07 that got taped and made into a concert DVD released last year or so, which won the grammy.

Macklemore winning an award of any sort denies the event validity in my eyes, however (amongst numerous other reasons).

Fasdokl
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Fasdokl » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:03 pm

Anyway, I'm gonna make a list of stuff I've been liking recently, too.

• Lorde - Pure Heroine
  • Nas - Illmatic
  • Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
  • Peter Bjorn & John - Writer's Block
  • Kanye West - Yeezus (i'm sorry, i really really love this album)
  • Boards of Canada - Geogaddi (my favorite album of all time. easily.)
  • Boards of Canada - Music Has the Right to Children
  • Childish Gambino - Camp
  • The Neighbourhood - I Love You
  • KOAN Sound & Asa - Sanctuary EP (beautiful EDM stuff. not generic at all)
iiwiki
-3.9 (left),-5.3 (libertarian)
i'm a girl named willow who likes weather, politics, and music. yeah
I roleplay as Rovorgelyr. Sorry if this causes any confusion ^—^

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:21 pm

Fasdokl wrote:
  • Lorde - Pure Heroine
  • Nas - Illmatic

I've never been able to figure out what EDM is supposed to be musically.

IDM I can kinda see. It also seems to vary a lot. But EDM I haven't figured out yet...

Also, Boards of Canada is great.
My Last.FM and RYM

Azrael
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Azrael » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:40 pm

Corrian wrote:I've never been able to figure out what EDM is supposed to be musically.

IDM I can kinda see. It also seems to vary a lot. But EDM I haven't figured out yet...

How is EDM harder to figure out than IDM? EDM is electronic dance music i.e. danceable electronic music. That's really all there is to it.
If nothing exists, where did this anger come from?

Volmachtia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Volmachtia » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:43 pm

Azrael wrote:
Corrian wrote:I've never been able to figure out what EDM is supposed to be musically.

How is EDM harder to figure out than IDM? EDM is electronic dance music i.e. danceable electronic music. That's really all there is to it.

I think he means listening to EDM recreationally as opposed to actually dancing to it.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:46 pm

New Iamamiwhoami single

Azrael wrote:How is EDM harder to figure out than IDM? EDM is electronic dance music i.e. danceable electronic music. That's really all there is to it.

I'm saying I don't see what's definably different with electronic dance music over intelligent dance music. I just haven't explored the genre enough to figure out what exactly is the difference.
My Last.FM and RYM

The REAL Glasers
Minister

Founded: Feb 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The REAL Glasers » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:26 am

IDM is aimed to be more thought-provoking, hence the somewhat pretentious name.
YouTube Channel
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Onespeed
http://www.last.fm/user/TheYardstick
Economic Left/Right: -4.88 - Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.67
I want a riot grrrlfriend

Volmachtia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Volmachtia » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:49 am

The REAL Glasers wrote:IDM is aimed to be more thought-provoking, hence the somewhat pretentious name.

Or to be more specific, complex. Hence why it sounds like a million buttons being pushed at once.

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:14 pm

The Royal Kingdom of Quebec wrote:
Meryuma wrote:Hey, new thread.

I like Lorde. Owl City is just a really saccharine version of the Postal Service though.

Lorde is meh....Imo. I like some of her songs, and despise the rest(in particular Royals). She certainly has the talent though :clap: :clap: :clap:

The lyrics to Royals aren't very good but the melody and the vocal layering are frankly amazing.

Mirrodinia wrote:
Corrian wrote:Only real good thing nominated at the Grammy's...

Well, I'm an Imagine Dragons fan, and I quite enjoyed Daft Punk's album.

Daft Punk are great. Imagine Dragons is the blandest shit around.

Fasdokl wrote:Anyway, I'm gonna make a list of stuff I've been liking recently, too.

• Lorde - Pure Heroine
  • Nas - Illmatic

No reason to apologize for loving Yeezus. Boards of Canada are really cool too. I need to get into more IDM.

Corrian wrote:New Iamamiwhoami single

Azrael wrote:How is EDM harder to figure out than IDM? EDM is electronic dance music i.e. danceable electronic music. That's really all there is to it.

I'm saying I don't see what's definably different with electronic dance music over intelligent dance music. I just haven't explored the genre enough to figure out what exactly is the difference.

IDM is basically an "avant-garde" version of EDM that uses similar musical building blocks without necessarily being intended for the actual dancefloor. For instance, drum n bass/jungle is a genre of EDM based around fast-paced breakbeats, but IDM artists such as Aphex Twin and Venetian Snares twist fast-paced breakbeats into skittering, irregular and frequently abrasive new shapes.
ᛋᛃᚢ - Social Justice Úlfheðinn
Potarius wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which physical bodies attract with a force proportional to their mass.

In layman's terms, orgy time.

Niur wrote: my soul has no soul.

Saint Clair Island wrote:The English language sucks. From now on, I will refer to the second definition of sexual as "fucktacular."

Trotskylvania wrote:Alternatively, we could go on an epic quest to Plato's Cave to find the legendary artifact, Ockham's Razor.

Norstal wrote:Gunpowder Plot: America.

Meryuma: "Well, I just hope these hyperboles don't...

*puts on sunglasses*

blow out of proportions."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...so here's your future

Chetssaland
Senator

Founded: May 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Chetssaland » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:10 pm

Volmachtia wrote:
Corrian wrote:Oh yeah, I forgot that they were nominated.

Sabbath's still kicking, new album and whatnot. Led Zeppelin did a one-off reunion in '07 that got taped and made into a concert DVD released last year or so, which won the grammy.

Macklemore winning an award of any sort denies the event validity in my eyes, however (amongst numerous other reasons).

What's with all the Macklemore hate lately? Around this time last year they were the internet's darling, but now that he's popular the internet hates him. Also, what songs from The Heist have you heard? Just Thrift Shop, Same Love, and Can't Hold Us? (FYI: I still don't think he should've won rap album of the year, but people act like he's garbage when he really isn't that bad).

Volmachtia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Volmachtia » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:00 pm

Chetssaland wrote:
Volmachtia wrote:Sabbath's still kicking, new album and whatnot. Led Zeppelin did a one-off reunion in '07 that got taped and made into a concert DVD released last year or so, which won the grammy.

What's with all the Macklemore hate lately? Around this time last year they were the internet's darling, but now that he's popular the internet hates him. Also, what songs from The Heist have you heard? Just Thrift Shop, Same Love, and Can't Hold Us? (FYI: I still don't think he should've won rap album of the year, but people act like he's garbage when he really isn't that bad).

He's a face for yet another bland, commercial product, and pretty much everything he's done gives me a headache. I don't like rap and I make no pretensions that other people shouldn't, but I can tell when something's manufactured for radio. Besides, I've always thought he sucked.
Hipsters latch onto rappers to seem "current", anyways. Why people adore Kanye now, I shall never understand.
Last edited by Volmachtia on Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Royal Kingdom of Quebec
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:19 pm

Corrian wrote:
The Royal Kingdom of Quebec wrote:List of artists I like at the moment

-Birdy
-Bon Iver
-Arcade Fire
-Malik(Inuit-Greenlander musician)
-Simon and Garfunkel
-The Bee Gees
-Led Zeppelin
-Westlife
-Drake
-Swings(Korean rapper)
-Mad Clown(Korean rapper)

Lots of varieties, eh?

Only ones I really know on here is Birdy and Arcade Fire.

I am surprised that you don't know some big timers back in the old days, namely The Bee Gees and Led Zeppelin.....*faints* :p

Here is Bon Iver's album though. Enjoy!
WORK IN PROGRESS: The Wanderer's Guide To Somewhere: Megathread!

Happy 420 Friends!

2x World Cup, 2x Baptism of Fire, 2x Cup of Harmony, 5x World Cup of Hockey, 2x World Bowl and 2x International Basketball Championships Host

Ancient Magmia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ancient Magmia » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:53 pm

Volmachtia wrote:
Chetssaland wrote:

He's a face for yet another bland, commercial product, and pretty much everything he's done gives me a headache.

^This.
It's a good album for what the production was obviously meant for; mainstream appeal and radio play. But that type of music typically lacks "substance". "Same Love" which really should have been a great song just felt horribly dull. "Can't Hold Us" is somewhat catchy but nothing is musically special about it, and "Thrift Shop" & "White Walls" are just...bad in every aspect other than catchiness. All good for radio but dull otherwise.
I think he's an OK rapper, but certainly nothing special.

Why people adore Kanye now, I shall never understand.

Kanye was good pre-Graduation (3rd album). From Graduation onward, he got...weird.
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. - George Orwell
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Corvus Metallum
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Corvus Metallum » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:07 pm

The solo I have to sing for choir is driving me crazy...I can officially say I hate 2/4 as a time signature now.

The REAL Glasers
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The REAL Glasers » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:30 pm

Volmachtia wrote:
Chetssaland wrote:

He's a face for yet another bland, commercial product, and pretty much everything he's done gives me a headache. I don't like rap and I make no pretensions that other people shouldn't, but I can tell when something's manufactured for radio. Besides, I've always thought he sucked.
Hipsters latch onto rappers to seem "current", anyways. Why people adore Kanye now, I shall never understand.

Commercial product? You realize that he's entirely independent and did all of this without any label support?
YouTube Channel

Ancient Magmia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ancient Magmia » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:32 pm

The REAL Glasers wrote:Commercial product? You realize that he's entirely independent and did all of this without any label support?

But the music itself sounds like it was made for commercial appeal. Albeit not typical commercial hip hop, but made with the same intent.

Volmachtia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Volmachtia » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:56 pm

Ancient Magmia wrote:
The REAL Glasers wrote:Commercial product? You realize that he's entirely independent and did all of this without any label support?

But the music itself sounds like it was made for commercial appeal. Albeit not typical commercial hip hop, but made with the same intent.

And don't forget the internet today is ridiculously powerful as a means of spreading information, so it can catch fire on Youtube (Psy) or SoundCloud (Lorde) for example, and the radio will pick it up and bing-bang-boom, you have yourself a mainstream hit. It's a potent formula.

Ancient Magmia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ancient Magmia » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:57 pm

Volmachtia wrote:And don't forget the internet today is ridiculously powerful as a means of spreading information, so it can catch fire on Youtube (Psy) or SoundCloud (Lorde) for example, and the radio will pick it up and bing-bang-boom, you have yourself a mainstream hit. It's a potent formula.

Very true.

The REAL Glasers
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The REAL Glasers » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:08 pm

Volmachtia wrote:
Ancient Magmia wrote:But the music itself sounds like it was made for commercial appeal. Albeit not typical commercial hip hop, but made with the same intent.

And don't forget the internet today is ridiculously powerful as a means of spreading information, so it can catch fire on Youtube (Psy) or SoundCloud (Lorde) for example, and the radio will pick it up and bing-bang-boom, you have yourself a mainstream hit. It's a potent formula.

I don't think you understand the immense amount of difficulty and luck that this requires.
YouTube Channel

Volmachtia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Volmachtia » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:18 pm

The REAL Glasers wrote:
Volmachtia wrote:And don't forget the internet today is ridiculously powerful as a means of spreading information, so it can catch fire on Youtube (Psy) or SoundCloud (Lorde) for example, and the radio will pick it up and bing-bang-boom, you have yourself a mainstream hit. It's a potent formula.

I don't think you understand the immense amount of difficulty and luck that this requires.

Hey, when one in a million succeeds, one WILL end up succeeding.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:28 pm

Meryuma wrote:IDM is basically an "avant-garde" version of EDM that uses similar musical building blocks without necessarily being intended for the actual dancefloor. For instance, drum n bass/jungle is a genre of EDM based around fast-paced breakbeats, but IDM artists such as Aphex Twin and Venetian Snares twist fast-paced breakbeats into skittering, irregular and frequently abrasive new shapes.

Autechre is considered IDM half the time and they definitely don't fit into typical dance rhythms at all.

Chetssaland wrote:What's with all the Macklemore hate lately? Around this time last year they were the internet's darling, but now that he's popular the internet hates him. Also, what songs from The Heist have you heard? Just Thrift Shop, Same Love, and Can't Hold Us? (FYI: I still don't think he should've won rap album of the year, but people act like he's garbage when he really isn't that bad).

Never cared for him in the first place, still don't. Though I quite like the message behind all of his music I've heard so far.

The Royal Kingdom of Quebec wrote:I am surprised that you don't know some big timers back in the old days, namely The Bee Gees and Led Zeppelin.....*faints* :p

Here is Bon Iver's album though. Enjoy!

Think I've heard some The Bee Gees and I know like 2 Led Zeppelin songs.

And thanks. Might give that a listen.

...Lorde got big on SoundCloud? Damn.
My Last.FM and RYM

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction