NATION

PASSWORD

Is Music dying?

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Britanania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 15, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Britanania » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:28 pm

I wasn't aware you could kill a concept
Christus vincit; Christus regnat; Christus imperat
"All things have their season, and in their times all things pass under heaven"--Ecclesiastes 3:1
"Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king."
"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected"--G. K. Chesterton
Pro: British Unionism, Catholicism, Classicism, Conservatism, High Toryism, Monarchism, Traditionalism
Anti: Consumerism, Devolution, Materialism, Modernism, Post-Modernism, Progressivism

Vareiln
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Vareiln » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:28 pm

No. Just because it's music you don't like doesn't magically make it not music.
Perhaps the genres you like are dying, but music isn't dying.
Or, perhaps, you could look at lesser known stuff that's being made today instead of what's on the radio. Then, with a straight face, tell me music is dying. Do it. I need a laugh.

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:28 pm

Britanania wrote:I wasn't aware you could kill a concept

Well this sure killed the concept that it couldn't.
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.
I'm Joe Biden. So far as you know.

For: Anarchy, Punk Rock Fury
Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
"Am I buggin' ya? I don't mean to bug ya." - Bono
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Kranstentistan
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Kranstentistan » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:28 pm

Blasveck wrote:Is Music, as a genre, dying?

Now, when I say dying, I'm talking about the quality of music, really. With a saturation of mainstream* artists resorting to using autotune and phasing out of actual instruments, I feel music, as a genre and the quality of it, is dying.

Perhaps this is just the ramblings of a musically-inclined teen, but when I see the music that is produced today, what I don't see is the Beatles, the Jimi Hendrixes, the Elvises, etc.

What do you think, NS? Is the quality of music slacking as of late?

So your saying that music is "dying" because all of the music you like isn't as popular as it was in the 20th century?

Get a room.

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:29 pm

Kranstentistan wrote:
Blasveck wrote:Is Music, as a genre, dying?

Now, when I say dying, I'm talking about the quality of music, really. With a saturation of mainstream* artists resorting to using autotune and phasing out of actual instruments, I feel music, as a genre and the quality of it, is dying.

Perhaps this is just the ramblings of a musically-inclined teen, but when I see the music that is produced today, what I don't see is the Beatles, the Jimi Hendrixes, the Elvises, etc.

What do you think, NS? Is the quality of music slacking as of late?

So your saying that music is "dying" because all of the music you like isn't as popular as it was in the 20th century?

Get a room.

I'm fairly certain that's an inaccurate use of the phrase "get a room".
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.

Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Havenburgh
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Havenburgh » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:31 pm

The old style of music is dead, like the old brass and wooden instruments. What is using is the new, upbeat music that has electric style in it, like hip hop, and dubstep. Poetry is still there too, but faster and more raunchy lyrics, called rap.

Divided America
Diplomat

Founded: May 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Divided America » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:31 pm

:palm: :eyebrow: Really?
My nation is supposed to have a Powerful Economy. If you don't like it then Boo Hoo

Kranstentistan
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Kranstentistan » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:31 pm

Frisivisia wrote:
Kranstentistan wrote:So your saying that music is "dying" because all of the music you like isn't as popular as it was in the 20th century?

Get a room.

I'm fairly certain that's an inaccurate use of the phrase "get a room".

Aw fuck.

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby United Dependencies » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:32 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
United Dependencies wrote:Bah, classical music is eternal.

The industry can't taint that.

Hahaaaa...yeah, you weren't around for the whole Chant and Enigma thing in the 90s...

No I wasn't. I was just growing up.

Before I give off the impression that I think all modern music sucks: I do not think that it does. There's actually some pretty catchy tunes being produced in this day and age (and some more artsy stuff as well) I just happen to prefer the sound of philharmonics and symphonies.
Last edited by United Dependencies on Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alien Space Bats wrote:2012: The Year We Lost Contact (with Reality).

Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

This is Nationstates we're here to help

Are you a native or resident of North Carolina?

Vareiln
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vareiln » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:32 pm

Havenburgh wrote:The old style of music is dead, like the old brass and wooden instruments. What is using is the new, upbeat music that has electric style in it, like hip hop, and dubstep. Poetry is still there too, but faster and more raunchy lyrics, called rap.

There are many, many, many, many, many more genres of music than that, my friend. Always have been.

Luveria
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:32 pm

You having an inability to find music you enjoy, does not mean "music is dying".

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:33 pm

Kranstentistan wrote:
Frisivisia wrote:I'm fairly certain that's an inaccurate use of the phrase "get a room".

Aw fuck.

We all learn when we're young, don't feel too bad about it. Feel kinda bad about it.

Vareiln
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vareiln » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:33 pm

United Dependencies wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Hahaaaa...yeah, you weren't around for the whole Chant and Enigma thing in the 90s...

Before I give off the impression that I think all modern music sucks: It doesn't. There's actually some pretty catchy tunes being produced in this day and age (and some more artsy stuff as well) I just happen to prefer the sound of philharmonics and symphonies.

There's a lot of neoclassical stuff that avoids using electronics that you might like.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:34 pm

That's like asking if a boulder is dying.
It's not even a valid question.

Havenburgh wrote:The old style of music is dead, like the old brass and wooden instruments.

The large number of pieces of classical music that are still coming out ever single year beg to differ.
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Postby United Dependencies » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:36 pm

Astrolinium wrote:That's like asking if a boulder is dying.

Havenburgh wrote:The old style of music is dead, like the old brass and wooden instruments.

The large number of pieces of classical music that are still coming out ever single year beg to differ.

Van Der Roost
Sparke
Zdechlik

some of my favorites

Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

Cyyro
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Cyyro » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:37 pm

Vareiln wrote:No. Just because it's music you don't like doesn't magically make it not music.
Or, perhaps, you could look at lesser known stuff that's being made today instead of what's on the radio. Then, with a straight face, tell me music is dying. Do it. I need a laugh.

In that case, is dubstep now considered music? :o
Providence and Port Hope wrote:Cyrro later!

Rikatan wrote:
Cyyro wrote:I didn't even know it could get this low..
You. You jinxed it.

The Blaatschapen wrote:The problem with congress is that it is full of politicians.

Aggicificicerous
Minister

Founded: Apr 24, 2007
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Aggicificicerous » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:37 pm

Music is not dying. Each generation has its terrible music; the stuff is just more prominent now than it was 30 years because we have more and better ways of listening to and transmitting it. There's plenty of music from the 60's, 70's 80's, et cetera on the radio. I don't find it any better or worse than a good chunk of what's popular today.

I listen primarily to baroque opera, and the quality of that has drastically improved in the past 20 or so years. Singers today are better and more imaginative than ever. Conductors are more open-minded and play both a wider range of music and a wider range musically. I get excited for my favourite singers and ensembles coming out with their new works every year. And this works for all genres; you can find a tremendously wide range of music today. Focus on the stuff that interests you and ignore the rest. If I spent too much time worrying about Lady Gaga or Miley Cyrus or whatever abomination is popular now, I would get no sleep.

North American States
Civil Servant

Founded: Oct 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby North American States » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:38 pm

No, music is not dying. People tend to think music from past decades was better because only the good stuff made it through to our time. People were already talking about the death of music in the 90s.

There was plenty of ultra commercial garbage at least since the invention of recorded music. It is made because it sells, later it falls from grace and vanishes from history. Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus and etc will possibly vanish in about 10 years, like the backstreet boys have, and many many pop bands in the 80s and 70s also have.

So...business as usual.

Vareiln
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vareiln » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:38 pm

Cyyro wrote:
Vareiln wrote:No. Just because it's music you don't like doesn't magically make it not music.

In that case, is dubstep now considered music? :o

Unlike what edgy hipsters like you are inclined to think, dubstep is quite obviously music.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:39 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:Hahaaaa...yeah, you weren't around for the whole Chant and Enigma thing in the 90s...

This was happening in the classical section of your favorite music store

And this.
(actually, I thought that was pretty awesome, I even went and saw a performance at the Grace Cathedral in San Francisco.)

But anyway, this album Chant became a best seller for no particular reason, and this band Enigma had one hit, so 'remixing' medieval music became a huge thing. It was...weird...
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:42 pm

Astrolinium wrote:That's like asking if a boulder is dying.

Van Der Roost
Sparke
Zdechlik

some of my favorites

I'm father fond of de Meij and Whitaker -- Sparke is very good too.
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Postby United Dependencies » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:46 pm

United Dependencies wrote:No I wasn't. I was just growing up.

This was happening in the classical section of your favorite music store

And this.
(actually, I thought that was pretty awesome, I even went and saw a performance at the Grace Cathedral in San Francisco.)

But anyway, this album Chant became a best seller for no particular reason, and this band Enigma had one hit, so 'remixing' medieval music became a huge thing. It was...weird...

Eh, not my cup of tea.

Medieval music is too...sparse for my taste. I much prefer the big brassy sounds of songs written by Mahler, Mussorgsky, or Stravinsky.

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Postby United Dependencies » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:47 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
United Dependencies wrote:Van Der Roost
Sparke
Zdechlik

some of my favorites

I'm father fond of de Meij and Whitaker -- Sparke is very good too.

Damn, I lost my CD with extreme makeover on it.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:49 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:This was happening in the classical section of your favorite music store

And this.

Eh, not my cup of tea.

Medieval music is too...sparse for my taste. I much prefer the big brassy sounds of songs written by Mahler, Mussorgsky, or Stravinsky.

I think at some point our conversation got on different tracks...
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Postby United Dependencies » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:53 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:I think at some point our conversation got on different tracks...

No I just kind of took the last line of your post and spun it off to a different topic.

Like I said, the stuff you posted is interesting, but not something I care to listen to.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction