NATION

PASSWORD

Shof's Russian Culture Education Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Soviet Russia Republic
Minister

Founded: Sep 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Soviet Russia Republic » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:12 pm

San Jose Guayabal wrote:I have some knowledge about Russian Culture (I like it) and I have a doubt on this

Alaska was a part of the Czarist Russia?

Alaska was colonized by the Russian Empire, and than of course later sold to the USA. There was a presence in California too.
Head of Government: Lenia Baikova
Head of State: Vasily Kebin
Population: 172 million
Economy: Command
Religion: State Atheism
Chest' i Slava Rossii
Pro:Russia|Serbia|Norway|Just Russia|CSTO|Secularism|Social Equality
Anti:Nazism|Stalinism|Racism|Homophobia|Religious Extremism|Terrorism

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:15 pm

Soviet Russia Republic wrote:
San Jose Guayabal wrote:I have some knowledge about Russian Culture (I like it) and I have a doubt on this

Alaska was a part of the Czarist Russia?

Alaska was colonized by the Russian Empire, and than of course later sold to the USA. There was a presence in California too.

And Hawaii.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Soviet Russia Republic
Minister

Founded: Sep 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Soviet Russia Republic » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:24 pm

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:

And Hawaii.

Yes, of course there was also Hawa....wait what?

*dose a search to look into this*

Huh, I can't believe I missed that over all these years. Thanks for pointing that out OMG!
Head of Government: Lenia Baikova
Head of State: Vasily Kebin
Population: 172 million
Economy: Command
Religion: State Atheism
Chest' i Slava Rossii
Pro:Russia|Serbia|Norway|Just Russia|CSTO|Secularism|Social Equality
Anti:Nazism|Stalinism|Racism|Homophobia|Religious Extremism|Terrorism

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:36 pm

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:And Hawaii.

Yes, of course there was also Hawa....wait what?

*dose a search to look into this*

Huh, I can't believe I missed that over all these years. Thanks for pointing that out OMG!

Russians will get everywhere if you let them :P
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Lyttenburgh
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Lyttenburgh » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:55 am

Only recently this brilliant tv-series attracted my attention:

A young doctor's notebook

It's British tv-series adapted from the collection of short stories by Mikhail Bulgakov. Both Daniel Radcliff and Jon Hamm play Bulgakov's alter-ego in this series (and both of them are big fans of his works!). The adaptation is top-notch british dark comedy - and without silly Russian stereotypes! I recomend "Notebook"to anyone interested in Bulgakov or just russian XXth centuary literature in general.
Last edited by Lyttenburgh on Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
“In an hour of Darkness, a blind man is the best guide. In an age of Insanity, look to the madman to show the way.”

Fight for Peace. Live for War. Die for Nothing

I wholeheartedly support the Great Ukraine from Lviv to Ternopil!

The Remote Islands
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 12, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Remote Islands » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:42 pm

So what do you think of Papers, Please? Doctor Zhivago? I love both, FYI.
Groucho Marxist. Long live the Islands, except when they don't.

Mike the Progressive wrote:Usually when I do a hit of acid or coke, I avoid NS. But you didn't. Shows a lot of balls. I like that.

Cevalo Nacio
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cevalo Nacio » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:39 am

Russia's always been a fascinating country to me, an odd land of contrasts.

I tend to be most fascinated by the USSR, but I also love reading about Peter the Great and the Russian Federation. I do fear that im watching Russia fall into Fascism.

I am curious on one topic. I have always wanted to travel to Russia but im nervous about the idea due to my bisexuality. Are the chav-bonehead assholes who seem to love brutalizing gays heavily concentrated in Moscow and St. Petersburg or are they more of a small town thing like how American homophobes are?

Im pretty stuck between visiting Moscow, St. Petersburg or Vladivostok

DrakoLand
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby DrakoLand » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:59 am

Cevalo Nacio wrote:Russia's always been a fascinating country to me, an odd land of contrasts.

I tend to be most fascinated by the USSR, but I also love reading about Peter the Great and the Russian Federation. I do fear that im watching Russia fall into Fascism.

I am curious on one topic. I have always wanted to travel to Russia but im nervous about the idea due to my bisexuality. Are the chav-bonehead assholes who seem to love brutalizing gays heavily concentrated in Moscow and St. Petersburg or are they more of a small town thing like how American homophobes are?

It ain't like they have a gaydar. Just don't flirt with any guys with shaved heads and swastika tattoos
Last edited by DrakoLand on Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cevalo Nacio
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cevalo Nacio » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:11 am

DrakoLand wrote:
Cevalo Nacio wrote:Russia's always been a fascinating country to me, an odd land of contrasts.

It ain't like they have a gaydar. Just don't flirt with any guys with shaved heads and swastika tattoos

Thats another thing that bothers me, why is Neo-Nazism so big in Russia? Considering what hell the Nazi's put the Russians through, thats like a victim of child molestation joining NAMBLA.

Im androgynous in my behavior and I fear my slightly effeminate mannerisms might set somebody off. Than again, I live in a town of American rednecks and im not dead, and rednecks are rednecks regardless of whether its Russian chav white trash, american hicks, Israeli Settelers, or South African Boers

DrakoLand
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby DrakoLand » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:36 am

Cevalo Nacio wrote:
DrakoLand wrote:

Thats another thing that bothers me, why is Neo-Nazism so big in Russia? Considering what hell the Nazi's put the Russians through, thats like a victim of child molestation joining NAMBLA.

Im androgynous in my behavior and I fear my slightly effeminate mannerisms might set somebody off. Than again, I live in a town of American rednecks and im not dead, and rednecks are rednecks regardless of whether its Russian chav white trash, american hicks, Israeli Settelers, or South African Boers

Most of them don't really know what nazism is. I guess years of "communist love" has its side-effects.

Lyttenburgh
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Lyttenburgh » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:36 am

Russia’s Open Book by Julia Stephenson and Stephen Fry.

Both 19th centaury Russian classics (Golden Age), early 20th centaury (Silver Age) and even some Soviet era writers are known in the West as a fine examples of the Russian culture, russian literary tradition. But what about modern Russia? Just becouse westerners stopped reading (and translating), doesn’t mean the Russian writers stopped writing.

This 55 min documentary tells v 6 modern russian writers - non-conformistic somewhat controversial Zachar Prilepin; activist, journalist, teacher, novelist, critic, and poet Dmitry Bykov, best selling prolific writer Ludmila Ulitskaya, scandalous Vladimir Sorokin and others not less brilliant, but much less known even in Russia writers.
“In an hour of Darkness, a blind man is the best guide. In an age of Insanity, look to the madman to show the way.”

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008

Postby Shofercia » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:04 pm

Cevalo Nacio wrote:
DrakoLand wrote:

Nazis are reviled in Russia, so you shouldn't worry too much about that. Neo-Nazis have a lot more bark than bite. But every country has idiots, and Russia's no exception. If you do go to crowded places, I'd recommend watching out for pickpockets. Also watch what you drink, because some of the drinks are quite strong. Each town has its own life, so you don't really know who's in charge. But Russia's closer to American lifestyle than you think.

Out of those, I'd recommend St. Petersburg. Moscow's overcrowded, and thus has the problems that any overcrowded city would have. Vladivostok is trying to find its own culture, so it's a bit risky for a first time travel. St. Petersburg should be quite pleasant though. Moscow too, if you know how to deal with people from overcrowded cities. I believe it's called New York education :P

When traveling anywhere, look around and try to match the mood. If you're saying "hey, wassup" to people who are tired and heading from work, that might be viewed as an insult. But you could tell that they're tired. Russians aren't going to hide emotions. Another thing, if you're going to ask "how are you?" MEAN IT. I'm serious. This is HUGE. A lot of Russians make fun of the whole, American, "hi, how are you?" "Oh, I'm fine about to lose my house!" crap. It shouldn't come off as automatic. That's something that you should try to consciously change. And if you do ask that question, you might get a five minute answer.

Do not, under any circumstances, criticize sporting teams. Especially in hockey and soccer. This comes off as weird, because when it comes to soccer, we diss our teams all the time. Don't do that. To quote Zadornov: "Only a Russian can spend all night talking about how his team is a piece of shit, and punch the first person agreeing with him in the morning."

Overall though it's a very friendly place. Especially St. Petersburg during the White Nights Festival: http://www.saint-petersburg.com/virtual ... itenights/

That page also provides a decent tourist guide.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:12 pm

Daft Punk is still alive and well in Russia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P08B_lBUL0E

I support :D

Thoughts on this guys?

Yes, this is their original singing and they do have an ensemble. The conductor, big guy who's slightly older, that was his idea :D
Last edited by Shofercia on Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Lyttenburgh
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Lyttenburgh » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:59 am

Nota Bene

14 Russian customs and traditions that's worth to know.

For an average Westerner Russia remains (despite that more than 20 years have passed since the dissolution of the Soviet Union) sometimes mysterious country. Many Russian traditions that have become commonplace for Us, cause foreign guests surprise and incomprehension. Here is a collection of 14 Russian habits that Westerners still find surprising during their journey to Russia. Hope you'll find this helpful.

1) In Russia New Year is celebrated with much more enthusiasm than Christmas.

"Holiday tree" in Russian is called "New Year Tree". Also gifts are given on New Year's eve, not Christmas'. Not Christmas (which Russians celebrate on January the 7th), but New Year is still the main Russian winter holiday. Probably, the main holiday of the entire year.

2) Russians always cook more food than they probably would be needing.

Here is a photo of typicall Russian food-laden table during any holiday celebration and/or any worthy pretext to invite lots of guests.

NB - the photo shows maximun of 1/3 of all food, snacks and beverages, that would be consumed during any such feasts. Beleive me - I know.
Russians prefer to cook a full meal (sometime with lots of mayonnaise). And always cook it more than they can eat, especially when they are waiting for friends to visit.

3) Russian says really long and complex toasts.

Forget "Na Zdorovye!" and all this crap. Only the laziest of Russians said simple toasts like that, or smth short. Seriously. When you are sitting down with Russians at the banquet table, be ready to hear long stories, parables, anecdotes and even poems of their own authorship before each toast.

4) Russian congratulate each other, after bathing.

Coming out of the banya (you call it "sauna") or even after the shower (sic!) Russians congratulate each other on this occasion. It is necessary to say "С лёгким паром!/S lyogkim parom!". Maybe this custon originated in connection with a serious attitude for hygiene. But to truly understand, how "steam" can be "light", you must visit Russian banya.

5) Kitchen table is not only for taking meals. It's a central place for communicating with each other.

There is nothing unusual to get together in kitchen for, e.g. a tea or dinner, and then talk and discuss things for several ours, even after all tea is drunk and meal eaten.

6) It's custumary in Russia to call all women "девушка/devushka".

English "girl" or even "wench" are just not adequate to translate russian "devushka". The closest thing is french "une jeune femme".
So, for example, if they want to call the waitress (of any age group), Russians just shout "devushka!". If you want to adress a woman of fifty, you may as well call her "devushka". If you want to start a talk with a teenage girl, you too can call her "devushka". Any woman other than typical grandmother ("babushka") is a devushka for the Russians.

7) Russians are (still) fond of telling anecdotes.

Well, nuff said. In the middle of dialogue Russian can suddenly stop and say "It reminded me of an anecdote..."

Oh, by the way! Our current situation on NatioStates reminds me an anecdote about an old bikers!

Imagine - a bike club. Old-ones are talking among themselves, then suddenly one of the new guys rides in, performs all sorts of tricks, stops suddenly, smoke comes from under his bike's wheels, all that... And then asks:
- Hey, guys! Why do you never greet us, new ones? Betcha you don't even remeber our names!
One old-timer replies calmly, spitting in the direction of him:
- What for?.. EVERY YEAR there are a bunch of still breathing new ones like YOU...

8) To the question "how are you?" Russian gives an honest and detailed story of his life.

Question - "How are you?" Russians perceive literally, seeing in it an interest in their life from an interlocutor. Therefore, instead of the standard "Fine, thank you!" they will give you an exhaustive answer about all their affairs (partially, to troll Americans and all those, who use "How are you?" as a meaningless turn of phrase).

9) Russian do not smile at strangers.

No, we are not lobotomized idiots to smile all the time. If Russian smiles, he do it honestly, not because he wants "to win the trust of a stranger".

10) Russians love to re-watch old Soviet cartoons.

It's impossible to understand Russian culture, colloquial language, memes and catchy phrases without knowledge of cartoon classics. "Жил был пёс/Once upon a dog", "Ну, погоди!/Nu, pogodi!", "Попугай Кеша/Kesha The Parrot" are probably ones of the most quoted cartoons in Russia. Others are also worth watching.

11) Russian women love to dress up (even for a hike to the nearby store).

It's considered a "mouvais ton" for aRussian woman to not look at her best when she is going out.

12) Before any journey, it's custumary for Russians to sit for about one minute.

When all bags and suitcases are packed, there is only one thing to do - "prisyadem na dorozhku". Both those who are leaving and those, who are staying, sit down for a minute.

13) Meeting strangers, Russian quickly begin to call them friends.

Yeah, We are at first always reserved and sometimes even wary when meeting stranges. Nevertheless, even after 10 minutes after meeting completly unknown person, it's possible for a Russian to strike a true freindship (especially after a couple of cups of... tea :p )

14) Russian never come into someone's house without a gift or a present.

It's considered very impolite. This gift can be a box of chocolates, a chocolate cake, a bottle of alcohol or a bouquet of flowers (necessarily an odd number - an even numbe of flowers is suitable only for funerals) - no matter what you bring, the main thingis a Gift.
Last edited by Lyttenburgh on Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:22 am, edited 7 times in total.

Bering
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bering » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:49 pm

Shofercia wrote:
New Sapienta wrote:I never asked this, but, are you actually from Russia?

Cause I'm pretty sure you said you don't live there currently.

I live in Cali. I was born in Nizhniy Novgorod :D

So about that:

Impeach False Csars. Legalize Elections. Theft is theft. Minin & Pozharsky, 1612 :D

I disagree Shof, as a Slav I believe that theft is merely personal redistribution or resources :p

Javoul
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Javoul » Thu May 01, 2014 5:39 pm

Saw this thread from Shofercia's signature. I enjoyed reading this thread and thought I should post music from a Russian band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8Vhj8guass

Leningrad often have funny songs and lyrics involved in their music. Their music videos are... interesting to say the least.
Je vois tout

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Wed May 07, 2014 6:55 pm

Javoul wrote:Saw this thread from Shofercia's signature. I enjoyed reading this thread and thought I should post music from a Russian band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8Vhj8guass

Leningrad often have funny songs and lyrics involved in their music. Their music videos are... interesting to say the least.

Ahhh Leningrad! I remember dancing to them in college. Russian parties FTW!

"Da, da, da, Leningrad, da, da, da, tochka ru..." :P

I think they're as close to Russian Alternative Rock/Hip Hop/Folksy mix as you can come, love em :D

Alosteq Diin Nastja
Minister

Founded: Oct 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Alosteq Diin Nastja » Sun May 11, 2014 9:34 pm

That movie was absolutely wonderful and hilarious! Thank you for making this thread for all of the non Russians (including me) on Nationstates. And thank you Javoul for mentioning Leningrad, as they are quite good.

And now for a question about addressing the members of the elderly female gender- How would you address an elderly woman on the street? Would you say бабушка или девушка? To me, it seems like you would call her as девушка rather than бабушка because in English, if you address an elderly woman as grandmother, it implies that she is actually your grandmother. I don't know if it is the same in Русский язык?
☆ marxist-leninist ☆
hands off venezuela! solidarity with maduro!

Lyttenburgh
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Lyttenburgh » Sun May 11, 2014 10:57 pm

Alosteq Diin Nastja wrote:
And now for a question about addressing the members of the elderly female gender- How would you address an elderly woman on the street? Would you say бабушка или девушка? To me, it seems like you would call her as девушка rather than бабушка because in English, if you address an elderly woman as grandmother, it implies that she is actually your grandmother. I don't know if it is the same in Русский язык?

Both wrong. Modern Russian lack "Mr" or "Miss" analogs. "Comrade" is sooo past, that in some places foreigner adressing a Russian with "товарищ" should expect (at least) some very, very negative reaction (ref: "Получить по морде"). You just adress her "на вы". Well, to use French analogy - "vous". Excuse me will be "извините", etc. "Please, tell me..." - "Скажите, пожалуйста...".

Alosteq Diin Nastja
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alosteq Diin Nastja » Sun May 11, 2014 11:25 pm

Lyttenburgh wrote:

Both wrong. Modern Russian lack "Mr" or "Miss" analogs. "Comrade" is sooo past, that in some places foreigner adressing a Russian with "товарищ" should expect (at least) some very, very negative reaction (ref: "Получить по морде"). You just adress her "на вы". Well, to use French analogy - "vous". Excuse me will be "извините", etc. "Please, tell me..." - "Скажите, пожалуйста...".

☆ marxist-leninist ☆

Libertarian California
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian California » Sun May 11, 2014 11:27 pm

Great success!
I'm a trans-beanstalk giantkin. My pronouns are fee/fie/foe/fum.

American nationalist

I am the infamous North California (DEATed 11/13/12). Now in the NS "Hall of Fame", or whatever
(Add 2137 posts)

On the American Revolution
Everyone should watch this video

Javoul
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Javoul » Mon May 12, 2014 2:55 pm

Lyttenburgh wrote:

And if you want to introduce yourself and break the ice a good phrase is: 'Я не американский шпион'.
Je vois tout

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Mon May 12, 2014 3:13 pm

Alosteq Diin Nastja wrote:That movie was absolutely wonderful and hilarious! Thank you for making this thread for all of the non Russians (including me) on Nationstates. And thank you Javoul for mentioning Leningrad, as they are quite good.

Thank you :D

Javoul wrote:
Lyttenburgh wrote:

And if you want to introduce yourself and break the ice a good phrase is: 'Я не американский шпион'.

:rofl:

An even better phrase would be "Pусская хоккейная команда очень хорошо выступила на Олимпиаде" :P

Alosteq Diin Nastja
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alosteq Diin Nastja » Mon May 12, 2014 3:55 pm

Javoul wrote:
Lyttenburgh wrote:

Shofercia wrote:
Javoul wrote: :rofl:

An even better phrase would be "Pусская хоккейная команда очень хорошо выступила на Олимпиаде" :P

I will use both :)
But in all seriousness, to break the ice would you use привет, здравствой, или здравстойте? Or is there a completely different word/phrase for this type of occasion? it seems to me that привет would be the best greeting as it could imply that you are seeking familiarity with a person.
☆ marxist-leninist ☆

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Mon May 12, 2014 5:00 pm

Javoul wrote:

Shofercia wrote:

I will use both :)
But in all seriousness, to break the ice would you use привет, здравствой, или здравстойте? Or is there a completely different word/phrase for this type of occasion? it seems to me that привет would be the best greeting as it could imply that you are seeking familiarity with a person.

Russia's a very traditional country, so it would depend on the setting. If you're meeting someone at a hockey game where Russians aren't playing like soccer players, then Privet might work. If it's a more formal setting, such as a book club, or something similar, you would use "Zdravtstvuite". Zdravtstvui is used if you already know the person, but are meeting him/her in a formal place, like a theater, or if the person's significantly younger than you. BTW, you misspelled them:

здравствyй
здравствyйте

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction