NATION

PASSWORD

BREAKING RACE BARRIER IN THE ROCK & METAL GENRES

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.
Cristos Templars
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

BREAKING RACE BARRIER IN THE ROCK & METAL GENRES

Postby Cristos Templars » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:05 am

I come to you all to talk about an problematic issue that has existed for a very long time; almost to the creation of heavy metal. I would like to discuss to you all about the racial barrier in both the Rock and Heavy Metal genre. I am a big metal fan and have always bee since I was little. But it was tough for me to listen to metal and express my true beliefs and interests without being judged and laughed at by my family, friends, and others because they believed that I was trying to be white which is absolutely not true. Not everything has to deal with race. If it's okay for a white guy to listen to rap and become a rapper then what is wrong with a black headbanging to Killing In The Name Of by Rage Against The Machine. I just want to know this because I've been to many concerts where some people called me the 'N' word or any other racial slur >:( while I was having a good time, headbanging to some Slipknot, Hatebreed, Bullet For My Valentine, Trivium, or Slayer. :bow:

In 1977 in Cleveland, Ohio, the first all African-American heavy metal band named Black Death formed and they are one the most badass bands I've ever listened to. Trust me. Go, look these guys up. And there are a lot black people in bands now such as, Howard from KSE (IM GONNA MISS YOU, BUD. YOU KICK SO MUCH ASS!), Alexis Brown from Straight Line Stitch, Adam Warren from Oceano, and Lajon Witherspoon from Sevendust. I just want to know this. My main mission is to get to the bottom of this because I want to end the racial barrier within my favorite musical genre. So, please. Do not be afraid to express your true opinions. Thank you and I hope that we can get over this in the near future :)

TAKE A LOOK AT THIS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIZUvlq-1ic

VERY IMPORTANT ARTICLE: http://www.metal-rules.com/hell/hell_July2001.htm

Last edited by Cristos Templars on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:40 am, edited 7 times in total.

Cristos Templars
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cristos Templars » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:51 am

REALLY? So, no one has an opinion about this? :eyebrow: I would love to hear it.
Last edited by Cristos Templars on Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Starkiller101
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Starkiller101 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:56 pm

Heavy metal is aweome!
Roll tide. Your local ''Floridman'' who should have left long ago xD

Soviet Post Punk
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soviet Post Punk » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:11 pm

http://www.terrorizer.com/2013/03/19/wh ... avy-metal/

This looked relevant to what you were discussing.

I've never had any racist experiences at a metal concert, though I am white so I wouldn't expect to have any. All the ones I have been to however haven't had many ethnic minorities present that I remember, though my country's fairly homogenous.
Vi døde ikke, Vi har aldri levd

The Parkus Empire wrote:>implying

New Naephak
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby New Naephak » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:14 pm

I wasn't aware that there were racist problems with the Rock/Metal genres.

Azrael
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Azrael » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:35 pm

New Naephak wrote:I wasn't aware that there were racist problems with the Rock/Metal genres.

More likely amongst fans at concerts. Beyond that, it's not a noticeable problem. Colloquially people stereotype on what certain people in their minds listen to, but that isn't immediately harmful or worrying.

Also, there is no "race barrier" in rock and metal, not even culturally. I really don't like the title here; it's too misleading.
Last edited by Azrael on Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If nothing exists, where did this anger come from?

North Wiedna
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby North Wiedna » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:12 pm

"Blacks" tend not to listen to metal because their cultural music is hip hop and culture is learned.
I am not at all interested in immortality, only in the taste of tea.

Junkyland
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 23, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Junkyland » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:32 pm

Azrael wrote:Also, there is no "race barrier" in rock and metal, not even culturally. I really don't like the title here; it's too misleading.

I agree, I've never noticed a racial barrier within these music genres to much of an extent. Though I don't really have many metal friends, I always thought that both genres, especially rock, had a fair amount of non-whites both listening and playing in bands. Howver, after listening to my brother's music, I think punk might have even more of what you would call a "racial barrier."
I just want you to please note that any knowledge I show throughout NS is based off of a 3rd grade education. All this means is that I probably know absolutely nothing about any subject I post about.
Thank God for Wikipedia!

Former President of Forum 7, for some reason . . .

Azrael
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Azrael » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:40 pm

Junkyland wrote:
Azrael wrote:Also, there is no "race barrier" in rock and metal, not even culturally. I really don't like the title here; it's too misleading.

I agree, I've never noticed a racial barrier within these music genres to much of an extent. Though I don't really have many metal friends, I always thought that both genres, especially rock, had a fair amount of non-whites both listening and playing in bands. Howver, after listening to my brother's music, I think punk might have even more of what you would call a "racial barrier."

Punk has many ideologies, many of which are sympathetic to minority groups and promotion of equality and freedom (anarcho-punk and riot grrrl, for example); however, there are others that are not (like neo-nazi punk).

The punk scene overall does not a have any sort of race barrier (it was predominately a white subculture, but it wasn't really exclusive to whites, and bands like Los Crudos helped pave the way for it to be more integrated), it's just some of the subsects within in that do, similar to how there isn't one in metal overall but there are in scenes like NSBM.
Last edited by Azrael on Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:01 am

Junkyland wrote:

I have. During my university days (a while ago now) I remember going to a few folk rock gatherings and meeting predominantly white students who consistently assumed that I listened to rap. I did listen to Public Enemy and at the time was mainly listening to New Wave (Elvis Costello fan) but my tastes are very eclectic running from Motown (Smokey Robinson fan) to Ska to synthpop to reggae to glam metal to zydeco to funk.

I think things have improved but their is still a degree of racism in assumptions about what music one ought to like because them happen to be from 'ethnicity X'
Last edited by Cetacea on Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Junkyland
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 23, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Junkyland » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:05 pm

Azrael wrote:The punk scene overall does not a have any sort of race barrier (it was predominately a white subculture, but it wasn't really exclusive to whites, and bands like Los Crudos helped pave the way for it to be more integrated), it's just some of the subsects within in that do, similar to how there isn't one in metal overall but there are in scenes like NSBM.

That's exactly what I'm talking about, actually. I said that punk as a genre would be likely to suffer from this more so than metal. I never said it had any type of extreme be any means.

EDIT: That's off topic, though. I apologize.
Last edited by Junkyland on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I just want you to please note that any knowledge I show throughout NS is based off of a 3rd grade education. All this means is that I probably know absolutely nothing about any subject I post about.
Thank God for Wikipedia!

Former President of Forum 7, for some reason . . .

Yankee Empire
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yankee Empire » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:08 pm

Azrael wrote:
New Naephak wrote:I wasn't aware that there were racist problems with the Rock/Metal genres.

More likely amongst fans at concerts. Beyond that, it's not a noticeable problem. Colloquially people stereotype on what certain people in their minds listen to, but that isn't immediately harmful or worrying.

Also, there is no "race barrier" in rock and metal, not even culturally. I really don't like the title here; it's too misleading.

Also why is a metal head getting riled because some punk called him nigger?

Just beat the guys head open then!
Economic Left/Right: -6.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.05

Pro: U.S.,Diplomatic Militarism, Imperialism, Patriotism/Civic Nationalism, Cosmopolitanism, Stoicism, Authoritarianism, Classical Liberalism, Unionism, Centralization (usually), Federalism, Corporatism.
Anti:Tribalism, Seccessionism(usually),Decentralization,Pure Capitalism/State controlled economics, Misanthropy,Cruelty, Cowardice, Pacifism,Hedonism, Corporitocracy.
Vice-Chairman of the National-Imperialist-FreedomParty
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."-Carl Schurz

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:10 pm

I wasn't either.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Azrael
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Azrael » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:12 pm

Junkyland wrote:
Azrael wrote:The punk scene overall does not a have any sort of race barrier (it was predominately a white subculture, but it wasn't really exclusive to whites, and bands like Los Crudos helped pave the way for it to be more integrated), it's just some of the subsects within in that do, similar to how there isn't one in metal overall but there are in scenes like NSBM.

That's exactly what I'm talking about, actually. I said that punk as a genre would be likely to suffer from this more so than metal. I never said it had any type of extreme be any means.

EDIT: That's off topic, though. I apologize.

That's actually kinda what I thought you were saying, and that was my response. And isn't that much off topic, either.

Greater Okinawa Republic
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Okinawa Republic » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:45 pm

Azrael wrote:
Junkyland wrote:

Punk has many ideologies, many of which are sympathetic to minority groups and promotion of equality and freedom (anarcho-punk and riot grrrl, for example); however, there are others that are not (like neo-nazi punk).

The punk scene overall does not a have any sort of race barrier (it was predominately a white subculture, but it wasn't really exclusive to whites, and bands like Los Crudos helped pave the way for it to be more integrated), it's just some of the subsects within in that do, similar to how there isn't one in metal overall but there are in scenes like NSBM.

Bad Brains were a black punk band too, weren't they?
Okinawa. You should come here, we have great beaches.
We are a FT nation. But not too FT, only with 2040-2080 era tech.

Azrael
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Azrael » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:27 am

Greater Okinawa Republic wrote:

Yes; forgot about them :blush:

North Wiedna
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby North Wiedna » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:33 am

Azrael wrote:
Greater Okinawa Republic wrote:

Yes; forgot about them :blush:

They're only like THE MOST IMPORTANT god
I am not at all interested in immortality, only in the taste of tea.

Azrael
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Azrael » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:34 am

North Wiedna wrote:
Azrael wrote:Yes; forgot about them :blush:

They're only like THE MOST IMPORTANT god

I don't listen to much older punk sorry :((((

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:44 am

Azrael wrote:
North Wiedna wrote:They're only like THE MOST IMPORTANT god

I don't listen to much older punk sorry :((((
:palm: lmao

Soviet Post Punk
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soviet Post Punk » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:05 am

Yankee Empire wrote:Also why is a metal head getting riled because some punk called him nigger?

look

not everyone has stupid opinions like you

so just try and accommodate people okay?

and don't telegram me saying "hurrr why should i"
Vi døde ikke, Vi har aldri levd

Azrael
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Azrael » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:51 pm

Cetacea wrote:
Azrael wrote:I don't listen to much older punk sorry :((((
:palm: lmao

Wow man just leave me alone :(

Rude

Greater Okinawa Republic
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Okinawa Republic » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:15 pm

Azrael wrote:
Cetacea wrote: :palm: lmao

Wow man just leave me alone :(

Rude

It's fine. You may just like different kinds of music. They just wanted you to recognize that influential band in the black punk spectrum.
Okinawa. You should come here, we have great beaches.
We are a FT nation. But not too FT, only with 2040-2080 era tech.

Yankee Empire
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yankee Empire » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:30 pm

Soviet Post Punk wrote:
Yankee Empire wrote:Also why is a metal head getting riled because some punk called him nigger?

look

not everyone has stupid opinions like you

so just try and accommodate people okay?

and don't telegram me saying "hurrr why should i"

What?
What the fuck are you even talking about?
Economic Left/Right: -6.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.05

Pro: U.S.,Diplomatic Militarism, Imperialism, Patriotism/Civic Nationalism, Cosmopolitanism, Stoicism, Authoritarianism, Classical Liberalism, Unionism, Centralization (usually), Federalism, Corporatism.
Anti:Tribalism, Seccessionism(usually),Decentralization,Pure Capitalism/State controlled economics, Misanthropy,Cruelty, Cowardice, Pacifism,Hedonism, Corporitocracy.
Vice-Chairman of the National-Imperialist-FreedomParty
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."-Carl Schurz

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:53 pm

Cristos Templars wrote:REALLY? So, no one has an opinion about this? :eyebrow: I would love to hear it.

I'm sorry people were racist to you when you when you just wanted to indulge your love of metal. People should be able to listen to whatever music they enjoy without being put down.

I think it's good for people to embrace their individuality and not feel like they have to fit themselves into some stereotyped mold.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:03 am

I find it absolutely scandalous that there is a thread about racial minorities in metal, and no mention of Living Colour yet.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction