NATION

PASSWORD

Scifi TV Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Initial Thoughts on Discovery

Love it
14%
Like it
23%
So-so
29%
Dislike it
11%
Hate it
23%

Total votes : 396

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:35 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Auristania wrote:Number 4 most racist episode = Up the long Ladder TNG meets the Space Oirish. The Space Oirish were a bit bog-trotting stereotypes, but they did win a couple of points versus poker-up-the-ass Starfleet regulations.

I'm Irish as Guinness (Hell, my little brother was born on St. Patrick's Day), and that episode slays me. Especially the Klingon booze.

As someone who is also Irish, I fucking love that scene.

The resolution at the end of the episode are rather head scratching, but as he said, every moment of joy must equal a moment of pain.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Drayxaso
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Drayxaso » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:43 pm

Auristania wrote:
Drayxaso wrote:I suppose I hadn't realised that at the time, but looking back on it, it was really racist. They went so far as to cast the entire alien species as African-Americans.

Code of Honour = number 1 most racist episode.

Number 4 most racist episode = Up the long Ladder TNG meets the Space Oirish. The Space Oirish were a bit bog-trotting stereotypes, but they did win a couple of points versus poker-up-the-ass Starfleet regulations.

Number 3 most racist = Fairhaven the Space Oirish were super-dooper bog-trotting stereotypes, but they were explicitly fictional.

Number 2 most racist = Dear Doctor ENT genocides the pre-Breen for the sake of the Prime Directive which hadn't even been invented yet.

What about that episode in TNG where they just watch a sapient species die from their atmosphere deteriorating, and then get mad at Worf's stepbrother(?) when he saves them? Apparently, it's worse to contaminate a culture than to save them from literally all dying.
Last edited by Drayxaso on Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Great Devourer of All wrote:"Bring the ship about, helmsman! The Klingons are firing on us!"
"I can't, sir! My knees hurt like hell and my back is cramped in a thousand places. The Klingons might as well put me out of my misery!"

Neanderthaland wrote:Looks like the DPRK is in need of a new buyer. Someone more aligned to their political philosophy.

Now if only there were someone out there who needed massive amounts of coal. Someone with a cult of personality and a keen interest in surveillance. Someone who sees you when your sleeping. Who knows when you're awake.
#679: Space Is Big Enough For The Both Of Us
(@.0) Put this in your sig if you support the Borg

Auristania
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Auristania » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:05 pm

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Auristania wrote:Code of Honour = number 1 most racist episode.

Number 4 most racist episode = Up the long Ladder TNG meets the Space Oirish. The Space Oirish were a bit bog-trotting stereotypes, but they did win a couple of points versus poker-up-the-ass Starfleet regulations.

Number 3 most racist = Fairhaven the Space Oirish were super-dooper bog-trotting stereotypes, but they were explicitly fictional.

Number 2 most racist = Dear Doctor ENT genocides the pre-Breen for the sake of the Prime Directive which hadn't even been invented yet.

I'm surprised Voyager's "Tattoo" didn't rate inclusion. Especially given that your number two example, while advocating letting a species die for the benefit of another (in other words, what amounts to eugenics), at least never targeted said bullshit at any real group of people.

Whereas Tattoo was racist toward Native Americans.

OMG I forgot Tattoo Native Americans didn't even have language until the Space Aliens saved them ... until theWhite space Aliens saved them.

And I forgot Penpals Ryker wants to genocide Data's friend because Prime Directive and the Cosmic Plan.

And I forgot Worf's brother wants to rescue the tribe.

Chinese Regions please set up a poll for most racist episodes
5 votes each.

To get the order right, we should have 10 votes each so we can put 3 votes on one episode and 2 votes on another, but I don't think that poll option is available.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:30 pm

Auristania wrote:

...Wait, what was racist about "Homeward"?
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Drayxaso
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Drayxaso » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:46 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Auristania wrote:

It's racist from an in-universe view.
The Great Devourer of All wrote:"Bring the ship about, helmsman! The Klingons are firing on us!"
"I can't, sir! My knees hurt like hell and my back is cramped in a thousand places. The Klingons might as well put me out of my misery!"

Neanderthaland wrote:Looks like the DPRK is in need of a new buyer. Someone more aligned to their political philosophy.

Now if only there were someone out there who needed massive amounts of coal. Someone with a cult of personality and a keen interest in surveillance. Someone who sees you when your sleeping. Who knows when you're awake.

Auristania
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Auristania » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:06 pm

There are 5 kinds of racist episodes:

Starfleet comes to the Planet of racial Stereotypes of a real world race and the episode depicts that race negatively Code of Honour, Tattoo, Fairhaven;

it's still racist if the episode depicts a real world race as super-doper good and perfect, especially if that perfect race are Whites or Elves Insurrection;

Starfleet genocides a fictional alien race for the sake of Prime Directive because Genocide is as racist as it gets Dear Doctor

Starfleet wants to genocide people but doesn't Penpals, Homeward

Drayxaso
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Drayxaso » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:31 pm

Auristania wrote:There are 5 kinds of racist episodes:

Starfleet comes to the Planet of racial Stereotypes of a real world race and the episode depicts that race negatively Code of Honour, Tattoo, Fairhaven;

it's still racist if the episode depicts a real world race as super-doper good and perfect, especially if that perfect race are Whites or Elves Insurrection;

Starfleet genocides a fictional alien race for the sake of Prime Directive because Genocide is as racist as it gets Dear Doctor

In the latter cases, it's less genocide and more leaving them all to die.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:18 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Auristania wrote:

Nothing.

It's an interesting Prime Directive episode, but racist it is not.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Auristania
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Auristania » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:30 pm

Drayxaso wrote:
Auristania wrote:There are 5 kinds of racist episodes:

In the latter cases, it's less genocide and more leaving them all to die.

Your Lordship draws a distinction?

We're not doing genocide, we are just sitting here watching genocide happen because the Cosmic Plan makes us morally superior elves.

Maichuko
Ambassador

Founded: May 02, 2015

Postby Maichuko » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:37 pm

Does Birthright count as Racist? there Worf encounters a colony of Klingon's held by the Romulans and convinces them that all Klingons are supposed to be violent bloodthirsty warriors instead of Pacifist farmers?

Some say oh the Romulan's were wrong they should have let those Klingon's kill themselves. I'm among those who disagree with that assessment.
Long Live the Emperor of all Maichukoans! May he live 100 years!
(V)(;,,;)(V) woop woop woop woop

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:50 pm

Maichuko wrote:Does Birthright count as Racist? there Worf encounters a colony of Klingon's held by the Romulans and convinces them that all Klingons are supposed to be violent bloodthirsty warriors instead of Pacifist farmers?

Some say oh the Romulan's were wrong they should have let those Klingon's kill themselves. I'm among those who disagree with that assessment.

I don't there's anything wrong with a tribalistic nationalism when it comes to species.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:10 am

Tarsonis Survivors wrote:
Maichuko wrote:Does Birthright count as Racist? there Worf encounters a colony of Klingon's held by the Romulans and convinces them that all Klingons are supposed to be violent bloodthirsty warriors instead of Pacifist farmers?

I don't there's anything wrong with a tribalistic nationalism when it comes to species.

I am of the view that anything which causes needless suffering or death to a sapient being is morally wrong.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

Auristania
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Auristania » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:08 pm

Tarsonis Survivors wrote:

I am of the view that anything which causes needless suffering or death to a sapient being is morally wrong.

That's logical Captain. But otoh, from Klingon POV, being a POW is a fate worse than death, therefore it is extra suffering. But otoh the Klingons in that episode don't feel that way. It just Worf telling them how they ought to feel.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:10 pm

Auristania wrote:

That's logical Captain. But otoh, from Klingon POV, being a POW is a fate worse than death, therefore it is extra suffering. But otoh the Klingons in that episode don't feel that way. It just Worf telling them how they ought to feel.

Did you actually watch the ep.?

They did feel shame and dishonor about being POW's, but they couldn't really do anything to escape or kill themselves, so they chose to live in dishonor.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

The Great Devourer of All
Minister

Founded: Dec 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Great Devourer of All » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:30 pm

Is it just me, or is 'Kir'Shara' just forty-five minutes of political commentary on the War on Terror?
Last edited by the Devourer 9.98 billion years ago

Pro: Jellyfish

Anti: Heretics

Yymea wrote:We would definitely be scared of what is probably the most scary nation on NS :p

Multiversal Venn-Copard wrote:Actually fairly threatening by our standards. And this time we really mean "threatening". As in, "we'll actually need to escalate significantly to match their fleets."

Valkalan wrote:10/10 Profoundly evil. Some nations conqueror others for wealth and prestige, but the Devourer consumes civilization like a cancer consuming an unfortunate host.

The Speaker wrote:Intemperate in the sea from the roof, and leg All night, and he knows lots of reads from the unseen good old man of the mountain-DESTRUCTION

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:07 pm

So finally saw Galaxy Quest.

Definitely one of the better TOS movies.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:08 pm

New haven america wrote:So finally saw Galaxy Quest.

I haven't seen that movie since 2002. I really should rewatch it some time.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

The Holy Empire of the Spaghetti Monster
Minister

Founded: Nov 24, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Empire of the Spaghetti Monster » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:09 pm

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

...all joking aside, yeah, it was great.
WE ARE NOT SAPIENT SPAGHETTI

Do not mistake me for a contributor to your political threads. I have come solely to mock.
Tsaraine wrote:Nazis aren't known for their smarts. You don't adhere to an ideology that got flattened under a T-34 in 1945 if you're full of sparks and opportunities in life.
Caelestiam wrote:...wait,
Are we seriously in a dick measuring contest over who has the right to declare law by virtue of the most innocent dead?
Sounds horrible and insensitive.
Proceed.
Ethel mermania wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:One does not simply own one's own body. Not when the GOP can shove its trunk up inside you.

It will be yuge, and you will like it.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:09 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:

It's one of those spoofs that even die hard fans of the source material have to love.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:24 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:

You probably should. *Nod*
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:25 pm

The Holy Empire of the Spaghetti Monster wrote:

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

I'm not joking.

It was made official at a 2013 ST convention. :P
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Drayxaso
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Drayxaso » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:53 pm

New haven america wrote:
The Holy Empire of the Spaghetti Monster wrote: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

I'm not joking.

Paramount owns it, but it's not official Star Trek.

Drayxaso
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Drayxaso » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:18 pm

New haven america wrote:
The Holy Empire of the Spaghetti Monster wrote: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

I'm not joking.

Apparently, an intentionally bad-looking Galaxy Guest "Fansite" was used to promote the film, even having reviews of episodes that didn't exist.
http://web.archive.org/web/20000819162953/http://www.galaxyquest.com/galaxyquest/

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:28 pm

Drayxaso wrote:
New haven america wrote:I'm not joking.

Paramount owns it, but it's not official Star Trek.

I know.

The joke is that it's not really ST, but for fun, an official ST convention made it "official".
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:54 pm

Welp, looks like Fuller changed from Show-runner and is now an Executive Producer.

Apparently he was only hired to write the start of the series (First 1-3 eps.) and create an story outline/arc for the other writers.

Also, if STD couldn't get anymore unappealing, his semi-replacement (He's not becoming Show-runner, but he has just as much creative control) is Akiva Goldsman. Who's Akiva Goldsman? Let's see if these ring a bell: Batman and Robin, Lost in Space, I,Robot, The Fifth Wave... He worked on all of those scripts...
Last edited by New haven america on Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction