NATION

PASSWORD

Scifi TV Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Initial Thoughts on Discovery

Love it
14%
Like it
23%
So-so
29%
Dislike it
11%
Hate it
23%

Total votes : 396

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:51 pm

Brusia wrote:
The Great Devourer of All wrote:
If the aliens actually targeted the bridge, their disruptors would blast a hole in the saucer so large you could see all the way to the 'neck' of the ship. The only reason the bridge consoles explode is because, well, they just do. All the time. The shuttle bay gets hit with a torpedo? A console explodes. A vacant living space depressurizes? A console explodes. One of the windows in ten-forward collides with a piece of debris the size of a skin cell? A bridge console explodes, dammit!

But yeah, as Drayxaso said, Trek ships are usually destroyed with a single shot after their shields go down, so we never really see combat sans shields. It would be rather like an intense firefight between tanks without any armor plating.

There was one alternate-timeline episode of Enterprise where the Bridge was definitely targeted after their shields went down ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7LnJPlRrBA ), one episode where it seems the warp nacelle was the first thing targeted after the ship lost hull plating ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eV8qR2IEHk ), and one mirror-universe episode where the first thing targeted after the Defiant's shields went down was the primary hull ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x38EH0PcxQ )but as far as I can recall it generally seems like the warp reactor is the main target after the shields go down (at least I seem to remember hearing "Target their reactor!" more than a few times) which might also explain why ships are destroyed pretty quickly once their shields are gone.

Well, considering the warp reactor is the most volatile and destructive part of the ship, it makes sense to attack the reactor as soon as the shield's go down.
Last edited by New haven america on Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Drayxaso
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Drayxaso » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:36 pm

New haven america wrote:
Brusia wrote:There was one alternate-timeline episode of Enterprise where the Bridge was definitely targeted after their shields went down ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7LnJPlRrBA ), one episode where it seems the warp nacelle was the first thing targeted after the ship lost hull plating ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eV8qR2IEHk ), and one mirror-universe episode where the first thing targeted after the Defiant's shields went down was the primary hull ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x38EH0PcxQ )but as far as I can recall it generally seems like the warp reactor is the main target after the shields go down (at least I seem to remember hearing "Target their reactor!" more than a few times) which might also explain why ships are destroyed pretty quickly once their shields are gone.

Well, considering the warp reactor is the most volatile and destructive part of the ship, it makes sense to attack the reactor as soon as the shield's go down.

I only really remember the enemy targeting the reactor in Enterprise. I don't remember a single time it happened outside Enterprise.
The Great Devourer of All wrote:"Bring the ship about, helmsman! The Klingons are firing on us!"
"I can't, sir! My knees hurt like hell and my back is cramped in a thousand places. The Klingons might as well put me out of my misery!"

Neanderthaland wrote:Looks like the DPRK is in need of a new buyer. Someone more aligned to their political philosophy.

Now if only there were someone out there who needed massive amounts of coal. Someone with a cult of personality and a keen interest in surveillance. Someone who sees you when your sleeping. Who knows when you're awake.
#679: Space Is Big Enough For The Both Of Us
(@.0) Put this in your sig if you support the Borg

The Great Devourer of All
Minister

Founded: Dec 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Great Devourer of All » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:51 pm

New haven america wrote:Seeing older ST fans and people who started ST through the reboots argue is rather entertaining.

I have to admit, I'm almost as bad. I was introduced to ST through the pre-JJ movies, and it just so happens that the first two films I watched were TMP and Nemesis.

Yeah, that was the entirety of my experience with Star Trek for almost two years. Perhaps that's why I don't think those two movies are as bad as people make them out to be.
Last edited by the Devourer 9.98 billion years ago

Pro: Jellyfish

Anti: Heretics

Yymea wrote:We would definitely be scared of what is probably the most scary nation on NS :p

Multiversal Venn-Copard wrote:Actually fairly threatening by our standards. And this time we really mean "threatening". As in, "we'll actually need to escalate significantly to match their fleets."

Valkalan wrote:10/10 Profoundly evil. Some nations conqueror others for wealth and prestige, but the Devourer consumes civilization like a cancer consuming an unfortunate host.

The Speaker wrote:Intemperate in the sea from the roof, and leg All night, and he knows lots of reads from the unseen good old man of the mountain-DESTRUCTION

The Holy Empire of the Spaghetti Monster
Minister

Founded: Nov 24, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Empire of the Spaghetti Monster » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:52 pm

New haven america wrote:Seeing older ST fans and people who started ST through the reboots argue is rather entertaining.

I have to admit, I'm almost as bad. I was introduced to ST through the pre-JJ movies, and it just so happens that the first two films I watched were TMP and Nemesis.

Yeah, that was the entirety of my experience with Star Trek for almost two years. Perhaps that's why I don't think those two movies are as bad as people make them out to be.

TMP? Which one is that?
WE ARE NOT SAPIENT SPAGHETTI

Do not mistake me for a contributor to your political threads. I have come solely to mock.
Tsaraine wrote:Nazis aren't known for their smarts. You don't adhere to an ideology that got flattened under a T-34 in 1945 if you're full of sparks and opportunities in life.
Caelestiam wrote:...wait,
Are we seriously in a dick measuring contest over who has the right to declare law by virtue of the most innocent dead?
Sounds horrible and insensitive.
Proceed.
Ethel mermania wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:One does not simply own one's own body. Not when the GOP can shove its trunk up inside you.

It will be yuge, and you will like it.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:53 pm

The Holy Empire of the Spaghetti Monster wrote:

TMP? Which one is that?

The Motion Picture. Or as some prefer, The Slow Motion Picture.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Narland
Minister

Founded: Apr 19, 2013
Anarchy

Postby Narland » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:57 pm

New haven america wrote:
Brusia wrote:There was one alternate-timeline episode of Enterprise where the Bridge was definitely targeted after their shields went down ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7LnJPlRrBA ), one episode where it seems the warp nacelle was the first thing targeted after the ship lost hull plating ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eV8qR2IEHk ), and one mirror-universe episode where the first thing targeted after the Defiant's shields went down was the primary hull ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x38EH0PcxQ )but as far as I can recall it generally seems like the warp reactor is the main target after the shields go down (at least I seem to remember hearing "Target their reactor!" more than a few times) which might also explain why ships are destroyed pretty quickly once their shields are gone.

Not only the warp reactor but the holodecks are the most dangerous form of entertainment known to man--if you want to destroy the federation get everyone into all the holodecks at the same time and let the glitches in the system do the work. :roll:

Drayxaso
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Drayxaso » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:00 pm

Narland wrote:
New haven america wrote:Well, considering the warp reactor is the most volatile and destructive part of the ship, it makes sense to attack the reactor as soon as the shield's go down.

Not only the warp reactor but the holodecks are the most dangerous form of entertainment known to man--if you want to destroy the federation get everyone into all the holodecks at the same time and let the glitches in the system do the work. :roll:

You would think the Federation wouldn't have let those glitches go by the safety inspection. I'm surprised there's even an option to turn off the holodeck safeties.
The Great Devourer of All wrote:"Bring the ship about, helmsman! The Klingons are firing on us!"
"I can't, sir! My knees hurt like hell and my back is cramped in a thousand places. The Klingons might as well put me out of my misery!"

Neanderthaland wrote:Looks like the DPRK is in need of a new buyer. Someone more aligned to their political philosophy.

Now if only there were someone out there who needed massive amounts of coal. Someone with a cult of personality and a keen interest in surveillance. Someone who sees you when your sleeping. Who knows when you're awake.

Drayxaso
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Drayxaso » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:01 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
The Holy Empire of the Spaghetti Monster wrote:TMP? Which one is that?

The Motion Picture. Or as some prefer, The Slow Motion Picture.

Phooooootooon Toooorpeeeedooooes

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:01 pm

Drayxaso wrote:You would think the Federation wouldn't have let those glitches go by the safety inspection. I'm surprised there's even an option to turn off the holodeck safeties.

The Feds really do need some kind of Space OSHA. Those ships are deathtraps. Especially those consoles.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Fire the Ameri.

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Empire of the Spaghetti Monster » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:01 pm

Narland wrote:
New haven america wrote:Well, considering the warp reactor is the most volatile and destructive part of the ship, it makes sense to attack the reactor as soon as the shield's go down.

And if you have energy beings nearby, you're double-secret-fucked.

Do not mistake me for a contributor to your political threads. I have come solely to mock.
Tsaraine wrote:Nazis aren't known for their smarts. You don't adhere to an ideology that got flattened under a T-34 in 1945 if you're full of sparks and opportunities in life.
Are we seriously in a dick measuring contest over who has the right to declare law by virtue of the most innocent dead?
Proceed.
Ethel mermania wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:One does not simply own one's own body. Not when the GOP can shove its trunk up inside you.

Drayxaso
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Drayxaso » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:05 pm

Narland wrote:Not only the warp reactor but the holodecks are the most dangerous form of entertainment known to man--if you want to destroy the federation get everyone into all the holodecks at the same time and let the glitches in the system do the work. :roll:

And if you have energy beings nearby, you're double-secret-fucked.

Aaaand now I'm thinking of the Space Jellyfish from Farpoint...

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:10 pm

Drayxaso wrote:
The Holy Empire of the Spaghetti Monster wrote:And if you have energy beings nearby, you're double-secret-fucked.

Aaaand now I'm thinking of the Space Jellyfish from Farpoint...

You know I've never seen Farpoint? I avoid all of season 1 and most of season 2.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Drayxaso
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Drayxaso » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:14 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Drayxaso wrote:Aaaand now I'm thinking of the Space Jellyfish from Farpoint...

You know I've never seen Farpoint? I avoid all of season 1 and most of season 2.

As an over-obsessive Trekkie, I'm making sure I watch every episode and movie.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:16 pm

Oh, wait. I did see Skin Of Evil. So almost all of season 1.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Drayxaso
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Drayxaso » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:19 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:Oh, wait. I did see Skin Of Evil. So almost all of season 1.

Skin of Evil is only in season 1? Hmm. I thought Yar lasted longer than that.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:22 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Drayxaso wrote:Aaaand now I'm thinking of the Space Jellyfish from Farpoint...

They're not that bad

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:42 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Drayxaso wrote:You would think the Federation wouldn't have let those glitches go by the safety inspection. I'm surprised there's even an option to turn off the holodeck safeties.

The Feds really do need some kind of Space OSHA. Those ships are deathtraps. Especially those consoles.

The TOS ships seemed a lot safer, from what I recall.

Still lots of shaking, no seat belts.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Empire of the Spaghetti Monster » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:50 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:Oh, wait. I did see Skin Of Evil. So almost all of season 1.

Damn oil slick...

Proceed.
Ethel mermania wrote:

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:51 pm

Damn oil slick...

They should have sent Wesley down there instead.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:53 pm

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:The Feds really do need some kind of Space OSHA. Those ships are deathtraps. Especially those consoles.

From zero to ten thousand times the speed of light in half a second without a problem, but one good jolt from anything and a redshirt breaks his neck. The Federation really needs to invest in some more consistent inertial dampers.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:55 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:

From zero to ten thousand times the speed of light in half a second without a problem, but one good jolt from anything and a redshirt breaks his neck. The Federation really needs to invest in some more consistent inertial dampers.

Or some damn cargo straps. Hell, one little jostle, and Worf got his damn back broke.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Empire of the Spaghetti Monster » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:56 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
The Holy Empire of the Spaghetti Monster wrote:Damn oil slick...

They should have sent Wesley down there instead.

Shut up, Wesley.

Poor Wil, though. He has to live with one of, if not the MOST HATED Star Trek character in history constantly casting his shadow on his career.

Proceed.
Ethel mermania wrote:

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:58 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:They should have sent Wesley down there instead.

Shut up, Wesley.

Poor Wil, though. He has to live with one of, if not the MOST HATED Star Trek character in history constantly casting his shadow on his career.

Well, my mom likes him...cause he's on the Big Bang Theory. She thought he was just a character on that show til I explained he's a real guy.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Empire of the Spaghetti Monster » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:01 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
The Holy Empire of the Spaghetti Monster wrote:Shut up, Wesley.

Well, my mom likes him...cause he's on the Big Bang Theory. She thought he was just a character on that show til I explained he's a real guy.

Yeah, he's good there.

I keep hoping I run into him at GenCon.

Proceed.
Ethel mermania wrote:

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:07 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:They should have sent Wesley down there instead.

Shut up, Wesley.

*quickly googles Wheaton to see what else he's been in*

Oh hey, he was that asshole in Eureka! And... the robobrains in New Vegas? Huh.

Honestly, from what little I've seen, it seems like he's a pretty good actor and all around cool guy these days. I think Wesley sort of gets classified as one of those stupid things everyone does when they're a kid.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction