NATION

PASSWORD

Scifi TV Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Initial Thoughts on Discovery

Love it
14%
Like it
23%
So-so
29%
Dislike it
11%
Hate it
23%

Total votes : 396

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:09 pm

The Romulan Republic wrote:
The Great Devourer of All wrote:In terms of pure aesthetics, my favorite alien ship is the D'deridex. In my opinion, the best the Feds offered in that regard was the Sovereign.

In terms of ass-kicking capability, the best alien ship would either be the Fesarius-Class or the Borg Tactical Cube. Not counting such god-tier ships, the Scimitar or Narada would be the main contenders. The most powerful ship in the prime universe Federation fleet would be the Sovereign (not counting the post-Endgame Voyager, of course). Including all alternate universes, the Galaxy-X would mop the floor with pretty much everything, and including non-canon stuff, the Enterprise-Infinity from Our Million-Year Mission is pretty much the end of the line in terms of both raw power and overall combat capabilities. I must say, though, despite its low firepower compared to the above ships, I have to respect the hardiness of the Defiant.

Factoring in nostalgia, my favorite ship would be the Enterprise-D.

I think the Narada was something of a paper tiger.

Its only apparent ship-to ship weapons were missiles, which it presumably had a finite number of, and it didn't seem particularly fast or maneuverable.

Yes, it took out a Klingon fleet and a Federation fleet, but we know nothing about the details of the former, and the latter was by ambush against a fleet crewed largely with cadets.

Why was it even carrying missiles, anyway? And that lolhueg laser? It's a fucking mining ship, it should've been carrying lots of lasers and no missiles.

Wait I forgot, it's Trek, where small private freighters have shields that can survive a supernova and pack enough heat to kill a city. Carry on. Yes I know that's not actually true I'm exaggerating jeez.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:14 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:

Its only apparent ship-to ship weapons were missiles, which it presumably had a finite number of, and it didn't seem particularly fast or maneuverable.

Yes, it took out a Klingon fleet and a Federation fleet, but we know nothing about the details of the former, and the latter was by ambush against a fleet crewed largely with cadets.

Why was it even carrying missiles, anyway? And that lolhueg laser? It's a fucking mining ship, it should've been carrying lots of lasers and no missiles.

Wait I forgot, it's Trek, where small private freighters have shields that can survive a supernova and pack enough heat to kill a city. Carry on. Yes I know that's not actually true I'm exaggerating jeez.

Well,... maybe not the shield bit, but anough heat to kill a city? Sure. With some creative weaponry the space shuttle could potentially waste new England in all honesty.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:16 pm

Tarsonis Survivors wrote:
Wisconsin9 wrote:Why was it even carrying missiles, anyway? And that lolhueg laser? It's a fucking mining ship, it should've been carrying lots of lasers and no missiles.

Well,... maybe not the shield bit, but anough heat to kill a city? Sure. With some creative weaponry the space shuttle could potentially waste new England in all honesty.

If that were true, the military never would have let it die.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:00 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:

I seem to vaguely recall something about the missiles being modified mining charges or something.

I don't think its in the film, so its probably not canon, but its as good an explanation as anything.

The laser is obviously for drilling because that's all it ever does and its a mining ship.

The Red Matter, of course, was stolen. I believe the comics gave Nero some stolen Borg tech., which explains the look of the ship and his missiles going through shields.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:02 am

Wisconsin9 wrote:

If that were true, the military never would have let it die.

Currently, we don't have the capability to mount Tungston rod launchers to the shuttle. But in the 24th century? Sure they would. The Defiant could poison entire planets, I'm sure a private transport could waste a city of so properly inclined and armed.
Last edited by Tarsonis Survivors on Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Great Devourer of All
Minister

Founded: Dec 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Great Devourer of All » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:18 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:If that were true, the military never would have let it die.

Currently, we don't have the capability to mount Tungston rod launchers to the shuttle. But in the 24th century? Sure they would. The Defiant could poison entire planets, I'm sure a private transport could waste a city of so properly inclined and armed.

So what you meant to say was 'a specialized space shuttle outfitted by a military organization especially to carry and deliver multiple tungsten rods as effective orbital weapons', not 'the space shuttle', as in the one we have now. There's a very big difference. One is an already-advanced orbital transport and satellite-deploying vehicle retrofitted and repurposed to act as a considerably more advanced orbital weapons platform, and the other is that minus the entire part about retrofitting and repurposing. Besides, your original comment said the space shuttle had enough heat to 'kill a city', but in reality weaponized tungsten rods (called 'Rods from God' in some circles) derive almost all of their destructive power from kinetic, not thermal, energy.
Last edited by the Devourer 9.98 billion years ago

Pro: Jellyfish

Anti: Heretics

Yymea wrote:We would definitely be scared of what is probably the most scary nation on NS :p

Multiversal Venn-Copard wrote:Actually fairly threatening by our standards. And this time we really mean "threatening". As in, "we'll actually need to escalate significantly to match their fleets."

Valkalan wrote:10/10 Profoundly evil. Some nations conqueror others for wealth and prestige, but the Devourer consumes civilization like a cancer consuming an unfortunate host.

The Speaker wrote:Intemperate in the sea from the roof, and leg All night, and he knows lots of reads from the unseen good old man of the mountain-DESTRUCTION

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:42 pm

The Great Devourer of All wrote:

So what you meant to say was 'a specialized space shuttle outfitted by a military organization especially to carry and deliver multiple tungsten rods as effective orbital weapons', not 'the space shuttle', as in the one we have now. There's a very big difference. One is an already-advanced orbital transport and satellite-deploying vehicle retrofitted and repurposed to act as a considerably more advanced orbital weapons platform, and the other is that minus the entire part about retrofitting and repurposing. Besides, your original comment said the space shuttle had enough heat to 'kill a city', but in reality weaponized tungsten rods (called 'Rods from God' in some circles) derive almost all of their destructive power from kinetic, not thermal, energy.

1. I said "with some creative weaponry" acknowledging that it would have to be armed first.

2. Packing heat is a well known euphemism for being armed regardless of the type of weaponry.

So piss off with your pathetic attempt to be pretentious and pedantic. You fail horribly.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Great Devourer of All » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:46 pm

1. I said "with some creative weaponry" acknowledging that it would have to be armed first.

2. Packing heat is a well known euphemism for being armed regardless of the type of weaponry.

So piss off with your pathetic attempt to be pretentious and pedantic. You fail horribly.

Calm down. If you can't handle people pointing out flaws in your arguments, you shouldn't make your arguments available.

1. I seemed to have missed that. My bad.

2. You didn't make that very clear, which is hardly my fault.

Yymea wrote:We would definitely be scared of what is probably the most scary nation on NS :p

Multiversal Venn-Copard wrote:Actually fairly threatening by our standards. And this time we really mean "threatening". As in, "we'll actually need to escalate significantly to match their fleets."

Valkalan wrote:10/10 Profoundly evil. Some nations conqueror others for wealth and prestige, but the Devourer consumes civilization like a cancer consuming an unfortunate host.

The Speaker wrote:Intemperate in the sea from the roof, and leg All night, and he knows lots of reads from the unseen good old man of the mountain-DESTRUCTION

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:48 pm

Calm down. If you can't handle people pointing out flaws in your arguments, you shouldn't make your arguments available.

Thwrewere no flaws accept the ones you tried to invent based on false premesis, so my hostility is wel earned.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Great Devourer of All » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:12 pm

Thwrewere no flaws accept the ones you tried to invent based on false premesis, so my hostility is wel earned.

Whatever. If you want to be pissy because someone misinterpreted your post, go ahead.

Anyway, I just watched Chosen Realm and Proving Ground of Enterprise. Both were very good in my opinion, but I can't stop thinking about the fact that the dialogue in the latter implies that the Xindi seemed to think Earthbound humanity could survive Earth being literally split in half.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:24 pm

Whatever. If you want to be pissy because someone misinterpreted your post, go ahead.

Anyway, I just watched Chosen Realm and Proving Ground of Enterprise. Both were very good in my opinion, but I can't stop thinking about the fact that the dialogue in the latter implies that the Xindi seemed to think Earthbound humanity could survive Earth being literally split in half.

I get pissy when someone ignorant of their own misunderstandings. then comes at me in a pretentious and condescending manner using phrases like "so what you meant to say was"

Kyrusia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Nov 12, 2007
Capitalizt

Postby Kyrusia » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:56 am

Tarsonis Survivors wrote:So piss off with your pathetic attempt to be pretentious and pedantic. You fail horribly.

Tarsonis Survivors: *** Warning for flaming. *** If you wish to have discussions here, it will be in a civil and rule-abiding manner.

The Great Devourer of All wrote:Whatever. If you want to be pissy because someone misinterpreted your post, go ahead.

And this doesn't help matters.

Cool it. Take a step back. Re-think how each of you wish to approach this discussion; if that doesn't help, add one another to your Ignore Lists.
[KYRU]
old. roleplayer. the goat your parents warned you about.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:02 pm

Kyrusia wrote:
Tarsonis Survivors wrote:So piss off with your pathetic attempt to be pretentious and pedantic. You fail horribly.

Tarsonis Survivors: *** Warning for flaming. *** If you wish to have discussions here, it will be in a civil and rule-abiding manner.

The Great Devourer of All wrote:Whatever. If you want to be pissy because someone misinterpreted your post, go ahead.

And this doesn't help matters.

Cool it. Take a step back. Re-think how each of you wish to approach this discussion; if that doesn't help, add one another to your Ignore Lists.

Flagging for appeal, and I'll file a request in moderation.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:53 pm

So apparently Trump has managed to piss everybody off. There's now a "Trek against trump" movement.

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/star-trek- ... nst-559666

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:10 pm

Well, since Trump is a self-interested capitalist, anti-science, an advocate of violence, and a raving xenophobe, he is opposed to pretty much everything Star Trek ostensibly stands for (though in actuality, Star Trek's record on all of those issues is inconsistent).

I'm actually pleasantly surprised, though, as its been my experience that for some unfathomable reason, a lot of Star Trek fans are Right-wingers. Of course, even some staunch Right wingers find Trump hard to stomach, with good reason.
Last edited by The Romulan Republic on Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:14 pm

The Romulan Republic wrote:Well, since Trump is a self-interested capitalist, anti-science, an advocate of violence, and a raving xenophobe, he is opposed to pretty much everything Star Trek ostensibly stands for (though in actuality, Star Trek's record on all of those issues is inconsistent).

I'm actually pleasantly surprised, though, as its been my experience that for some unfathomable reason, a lot of Star Trek fans are Right-wingers. Of course, even some staunch Right wingers find Trump hard to stomach, with good reason.

I find the "political spectrum" isn't very accurate anymore.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:25 pm

The Romulan Republic wrote:Well, since Trump is a self-interested capitalist, anti-science, an advocate of violence, and a raving xenophobe, he is opposed to pretty much everything Star Trek ostensibly stands for (though in actuality, Star Trek's record on all of those issues is inconsistent).

I find the "political spectrum" isn't very accurate anymore.

I prefer what I call "the Democratic Wheel" to the Left-Right spectrum.

In essence, my main concern, politically, is the preservation of Democracy, which depends on a wide range of supporting policies including freedom of information/expression/conscience/assembly, fair votes, legal equality, and the right to a fair trial, as well as the preservation of the rule of law. I am very much of the opinion that freedom vs. security (or life vs. liberty, if you prefer) is a false dichotomy, that they along with truth are mutually supporting, and that to compromise one to any great extent is to compromise the others.

So I look at weather something undermines or strengthens Democracy. The wheel part comes from the fact that to attempt absolute freedom ultimately leads back to despotism. For one person to have absolute freedom is to put them above others, and to attempt to give everyone absolute freedom is anarchy, which means a power vacuum to be rapidly filled by the strongest gang or gangs to emerge. So either end of the spectrum lands you in much the same place, hence the wheel.

Its still oversimplified, of course, but I think it better reflects my approach to politics.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:12 pm

I wonder, is the federation a direct democracy? Or more like a parliament structure?

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:38 pm

Tarsonis Survivors wrote:I wonder, is the federation a direct democracy? Or more like a parliament structure?

Not a lot of its politics is revealed in canon, and I'd imagine that it changes somewhat over the centuries, but we know that it has a Council representing various member species and/or worlds, and a President. Since TOS's Amok Time references someone turning down a seat on the Federation Council, Councillor is, for some members at least, likely an appointed position. Their are parallels between the Federation and UN, so it might be that member worlds have their own governments, perhaps based on their local customs within certain parameters set by the Federation, which then choose representatives to the Council. No idea how the President is chosen.

Their do appear to be some guarantees of civil rights, including freedom of the press (from the SFDebris reviews, Jake was apparently shocked to find that the Dominion censored his reports).

I believe that their are appearances of a non-Starfleet judiciary and diplomatic corps. too.
Last edited by The Romulan Republic on Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

New Roma Republic
Minister

Founded: Mar 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Roma Republic » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:38 pm

Tarsonis Survivors wrote:I wonder, is the federation a direct democracy? Or more like a parliament structure?

It is definetly not a direct democracy. They mention the "Federation Council" numerous times, which suggests they have elected representatives. I'd say it's not a parliamentary system, but a presidential system. They have the Federation Council, which consists of elected representatives. Then there is the President, who is separate from the legislature. Because the President is separate from the council, it makes it presidential.

Source: http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Unit ... of_Planets
Last edited by New Roma Republic on Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IC call me NRI, Novus Romanum Imperium, or the New Roman Imperium; OOC call me Roma or New Roma
NRI General Information | NRI Military Overview
Proud Member of the INTERNATIONAL FREEDOM COALITION! | #ValaranSoFab

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:15 pm

They have an elected president.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:44 am

Ameriganastan wrote:

They have an elected president.

They have a president, but that doesn't mean that's the whole government. They could have a parliamentary system, and they call the head of state the president and not the Prime Minister.

New Roma Republic
Minister

Founded: Mar 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Roma Republic » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:23 am

Ameriganastan wrote:They have an elected president.

They have a president, but that doesn't mean that's the whole government. They could have a parliamentary system, and they call the head of state the president and not the Prime Minister.

No, their President is separate from the Federation Council. To put this in perspective, the Prime Minister of the UK is also a Member of Parliament. S/He is chosen by the parliamentarians. On the other hand, in the US, the President is separate from Congress. So, the Federation is a Presidential System because he is separate from the Legislature.
IC call me NRI, Novus Romanum Imperium, or the New Roman Imperium; OOC call me Roma or New Roma
NRI General Information | NRI Military Overview
Proud Member of the INTERNATIONAL FREEDOM COALITION! | #ValaranSoFab

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:48 am

Interesting, memory alpha shows the federation government is a lot more canonically fleshed out than I believed.

Drayxaso
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Drayxaso » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:11 am

What bridge design is your favorite?

I honestly really do like the TNG bridge, but there are just so many different bridges that I can't pick a favorite.
The Great Devourer of All wrote:"Bring the ship about, helmsman! The Klingons are firing on us!"
"I can't, sir! My knees hurt like hell and my back is cramped in a thousand places. The Klingons might as well put me out of my misery!"

Neanderthaland wrote:Looks like the DPRK is in need of a new buyer. Someone more aligned to their political philosophy.

Now if only there were someone out there who needed massive amounts of coal. Someone with a cult of personality and a keen interest in surveillance. Someone who sees you when your sleeping. Who knows when you're awake.
#679: Space Is Big Enough For The Both Of Us
(@.0) Put this in your sig if you support the Borg

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction