NATION

PASSWORD

Scifi TV Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Initial Thoughts on Discovery

Love it
14%
Like it
23%
So-so
29%
Dislike it
11%
Hate it
23%

Total votes : 396

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 12, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:43 am

Chinese Regions wrote:What was your "Gateway" series? I saw latter half of Search for Spock on TV last Christmas, but it was JJ Abrams' Star Trek that got me hooked.

lol DS9

i keep meaning to watch something like TNG but i never get around to it

that said

Sisko > Picard > Kirk > Janeway >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Archer.

i strongly suspect that once i eventually work my through everything i'll still end up believing this

i didn't even know archer existed until a few days ago

Last edited by Souseiseki on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
ask moderation about reading serious moderation candidates TGs without telling them about it until afterwards and/or apparently refusing to confirm/deny the exact timeline of TG reading ~~~ i hope you never sent any of the recent mods or the ones that got really close anything personal!

signature edit: confirmation has been received. they will explicitly do it before and without asking. they can look at TGs basically whenever they want so please keep this in mind when nominating people for moderator or TGing good posters/anyone!
T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

Zzyzzygystan
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 31, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Zzyzzygystan » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:57 am

Fav original series character: Spock.
Fav main male character: Picard.
Fav main female character: T'Pol.
Fav secondary character: Garak.
Fav character played by a character: Queen Arachnia.
Fav character from a Mirror Universe: Mirror Spock.
Fav non-human aliens: Andorians (surface blue skins).
Fav non-humanoid alien: Hmmmm... old fashioned Tribbles... whatever it was that Dr. Phlox fed his toe nail clippings to... I'll go with Worf's pet Targ.
Fav enemy of the Federation: Klingons, specifically Lursa and B'Etor. Smiling.
Fav drink: Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
Fav alcoholic drink: Blood Wine with an Andorian Ale chaser.
Fav main dish: Fresh Gagh.
Fav dessert: Chocolate Sundae.
Fav non-weapon tech: [Temporal/Dimensional] Transporter.
Fav weapon tech: Pistol phaser with illegal "vaporize screaming" setting. What? It can be dialed down to heat Plomeek soup.
Fav uniform: D-Con Gel. You get my point.
Fav Non-Corporeal/Omnipotent: Q (no longer omnipotent and physically hungry for the first time).
Fav planet: The extinct Avians World.
Fav starship: Giant [Red] Vulcan Cruiser [with ferris wheel-like warp ring].
Fav line: Khan's Captain Ahab or Spock's "That would be Illogical".
Least Fav character: Any of the Movie Villains (exception for Khan).
Least Fav starship: Any built/owned/operated by a Movie Villain.
Least Fav uniform: Those powder blue pajamas in the first movie and that very manly, Vegas-pirate thing Mirror Kirk wore.
Question: Honestly, what do you think of the movies to date? Answer: I've not seen one that a committee of 3rd graders couldn't improve with scissors, paste, a frisbee, a pet lizard and finger puppets.

AETEN II
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby AETEN II » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:14 pm

Q >^ Everybody

Yeah, I've watched all of TNG, TOS, and Voyager, but I couldn't borrow DS9 from my aunt due to the fact she doesn't have it. So I'm starting to buy series as I go, but so far it beats the shit out of Voyager, but TNG remains m favorite.

Also, my Aunt got me a special DVD collection of all the Q episodes. Q is the best thing about Star Trek, easily.
"Quod Vult, Valde Valt"

Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put out in K.P.

Nationstatelandsville wrote:"Why'd the chicken cross the street?"

"Because your dad's a whore."

"...He died a week ago."

"Of syphilis, I bet."

Best Gif on the internet.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:16 pm

AETEN II wrote:Q >^ Everybody

Yeah, I've watched all of TNG, TOS, and Voyager, but I couldn't borrow DS9 from my aunt due to the fact she doesn't have it. So I'm starting to buy series as I go, but so far it beats the shit out of Voyager, but TNG remains m favorite.

Also, my Aunt got me a special DVD collection of all the Q episodes. Q is the best thing about Star Trek, easily.

Q is great. He's an omnipotent all powerful being and he doesn't give a fuck. Truly a great man.
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:18 pm

Chinese Regions wrote:What was your "Gateway" series? I saw latter half of Search for Spock on TV last Christmas, but it was JJ Abrams' Star Trek that got me hooked.

Technically speaking it was First Contact, but the series I watched first was Voyager. Janeway's a terrible captain, by the way. I mean, breaking the Prime Directive I can understand, but when doing so also strands your crew on the other side of the galaxy and you later go on to use the Prime Directive as a reason for why you can't use something to go home? Fuck that shit.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

AETEN II
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby AETEN II » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:22 pm

The Corparation wrote:

Q is great. He's an omnipotent all powerful being and he doesn't give a fuck. Truly a great man.

Certainly the most awesome deity in Sci Fi. While I like the Outer Gods of Lovecraft more, Q is somebody that would be awesome to know.
"Quod Vult, Valde Valt"

Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put out in K.P.

Nationstatelandsville wrote:"Why'd the chicken cross the street?"

"Because your dad's a whore."

"...He died a week ago."

"Of syphilis, I bet."

Best Gif on the internet.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:22 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:

Technically speaking it was First Contact, but the series I watched first was Voyager. Janeway's a terrible captain, by the way. I mean, breaking the Prime Directive I can understand, but when doing so also strands your crew on the other side of the galaxy and you later go on to use the Prime Directive as a reason for why you can't use something to go home? Fuck that shit.

Also she could easily have gotten home the very first day. There is this radical invention called a time bomb.
1)Take a Photon Torpedo and rig it as a time bomb
2)Use Caretaker's array to send Voyager home,
3)Have time bomb detonate
4)??????
5)Save your crew seven years of your terrible leadership.
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:23 pm

AETEN II wrote:
The Corparation wrote:Q is great. He's an omnipotent all powerful being and he doesn't give a fuck. Truly a great man.

Certainly the most awesome deity in Sci Fi. While I like the Outer Gods of Lovecraft more, Q is somebody that would be awesome to know.

Any God-like being that pulls shit like this is cool in my boat. This remains the best moment in all of Star Trek.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:23 pm

The Corparation wrote:
Wisconsin9 wrote:Technically speaking it was First Contact, but the series I watched first was Voyager. Janeway's a terrible captain, by the way. I mean, breaking the Prime Directive I can understand, but when doing so also strands your crew on the other side of the galaxy and you later go on to use the Prime Directive as a reason for why you can't use something to go home? Fuck that shit.

Also she could easily have gotten home the very first day. There is this radical invention called a time bomb.
4)??????

That too. Maybe she was high when she did it.
~~~~~~~~

The Corparation
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:25 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:
The Corparation wrote:Also she could easily have gotten home the very first day. There is this radical invention called a time bomb.
4)??????

That too. Maybe she was high when she did it.

And its not like they haven't rigged similar things up in the past. Hell if it was any captain that's been featured other than Janeway they would of done it and it would been a mediocre episode instead of terrible series. Although at least Voyager wasn't as bad Enterprise.
Last edited by The Corparation on Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 17, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:09 pm

The Corparation wrote:

I know I am, but I give a fuck once in a while, I let Sisko live after he cold-cocked me, right?
Wikipage/Qazox National Football Team
Qualified for World Cups 31, 33, 35-50, 54-59, 61, 62. Runners-up: CoH 52
Baptism of Fire 44 (w/Mangolana); World Baseball Classics 1, 4, 5, 10, 13 and 23; World Cup of Hockey 7 and 14; World Bowls IV & IX; IBC X; Baptism of Iron III and VIII; NSCAA Tourney II, III (conferences/regionals), The OXEN Cup; the TOUR de QAZOX, Qazoxian Sports Festival and NS X-Games/Winter X-Games I.
World Cups of Hockey 4 & 6; World Baseball Classics 6, 8 and 9, World Bowls 3 and XXI; Draggonnii Inviyatii V, IBC XI
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:10 pm

Qazox wrote:
The Corparation wrote:Q is great. He's an omnipotent all powerful being and he doesn't give a fuck. Truly a great man.

I know I am, but I give a fuck once in a while, I let Sisko live after he cold-cocked me, right?

Yeah, because that was so badass any attempt to punish him for it would have brought down the wrath of the universe itself.
~~~~~~~~

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 17, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:18 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:
Qazox wrote:

Yeah, because that was so badass any attempt to punish him for it would have brought down the wrath of the universe itself.

That and Q lost a bet with the Prophets so he has no jurisdiction there pertaining to the Emissary.

And they had a show based on the ship itself? ;) The first half of Enterprise's first season wasn't too bad, then they started the inane temporal cold war bullshit and I said.. I don't think so. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home got me into it.
Last edited by Qazox on Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wikipage/Qazox National Football Team
Qualified for World Cups 31, 33, 35-50, 54-59, 61, 62. Runners-up: CoH 52
Baptism of Fire 44 (w/Mangolana); World Baseball Classics 1, 4, 5, 10, 13 and 23; World Cup of Hockey 7 and 14; World Bowls IV & IX; IBC X; Baptism of Iron III and VIII; NSCAA Tourney II, III (conferences/regionals), The OXEN Cup; the TOUR de QAZOX, Qazoxian Sports Festival and NS X-Games/Winter X-Games I.
World Cups of Hockey 4 & 6; World Baseball Classics 6, 8 and 9, World Bowls 3 and XXI; Draggonnii Inviyatii V, IBC XI
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:20 pm

Qazox wrote:
Wisconsin9 wrote:Yeah, because that was so badass any attempt to punish him for it would have brought down the wrath of the universe itself.

That and Q lost a bet with the Prophets so he has no jurisdiction there pertaining to the Emissary.

I prefer my explanation.
~~~~~~~~

Priory Academy USSR
Senator

Founded: May 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Priory Academy USSR » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:38 pm

The Corparation wrote:
Wisconsin9 wrote:Technically speaking it was First Contact, but the series I watched first was Voyager. Janeway's a terrible captain, by the way. I mean, breaking the Prime Directive I can understand, but when doing so also strands your crew on the other side of the galaxy and you later go on to use the Prime Directive as a reason for why you can't use something to go home? Fuck that shit.

4)??????

To be fair, she did bring back some pretty cool Borg-blasting tech from the Delta Quadrant.
Call me what you will. Some people prefer 'Idiot'
Economic Compass
Left -7.00
Libertarian -2.67

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:40 pm

Priory Academy USSR wrote:
The Corparation wrote:Also she could easily have gotten home the very first day. There is this radical invention called a time bomb.
4)??????

To be fair, she did bring back some pretty cool Borg-blasting tech from the Delta Quadrant.

Basically anybody with the stones to go up to the Borg could've done the same thing. The only reason she did it was because she didn't have a choice.
~~~~~~~~

Priory Academy USSR
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Priory Academy USSR » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:43 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:

Basically anybody with the stones to go up to the Borg could've done the same thing. The only reason she did it was because she didn't have a choice.

Ah, but as pointed out, she was the only captain stupid enough to get stranded in the Delta Quadrant. Any captain coming from the Alpha Quadrant probably would have just turned tail and ran at the first sign of Borg, as, I recall, Picard did during his first encounter.
Economic Compass
Left -7.00
Libertarian -2.67

The Corparation
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:58 pm

Qazox wrote:
Wisconsin9 wrote:Yeah, because that was so badass any attempt to punish him for it would have brought down the wrath of the universe itself.

And they had a show based on the ship itself? ;) The first half of Enterprise's first season wasn't too bad, then they started the inane temporal cold war bullshit and I said.. I don't think so. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home got me into it.

Voyage Home remains the greatest Star Trek Film of all time. The Enterprise is blown up, we must return to Earth to face Court Martial, but earth is under attack by a giant ship broadcasting whale songs so we must slingshot around the sun backwards in time to the 80s to save a breeding pair of whales.

Wisconsin9 wrote:Basically anybody with the stones to go up to the Borg could've done the same thing. The only reason she did it was because she didn't have a choice.

Ah, but as pointed out, she was the only captain stupid enough to get stranded in the Delta Quadrant. Any captain coming from the Alpha Quadrant probably would have just turned tail and ran at the first sign of Borg, as, I recall, Picard did during his first encounter.

Piccard didn't even have a chance to run. The Cube was smashing his ship to pieces. The only reason he survived is because Q moved him back to where he was before.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:01 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:Basically anybody with the stones to go up to the Borg could've done the same thing. The only reason she did it was because she didn't have a choice.

What about those scientists who followed a cube around for-fucking-ever before finally getting busted?
~~~~~~~~

Priory Academy USSR
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Priory Academy USSR » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:37 pm

The Corparation wrote:[

Piccard didn't even have a chance to run. The Cube was smashing his ship to pieces. The only reason he survived is because Q moved him back to where he was before.

He still ran like hell. And his experiences would probably make sure that no Federation ship got near Borg territory, given that and later experiences.

Wisconsin9 wrote:

What about those scientists who followed a cube around for-fucking-ever before finally getting busted?

They were insane. Seriously, who takes a toddler on a trip which is a) exceptionally dangerous, as they probably knew, and b) isolated Seven (or whatever her pre-Borg name was) from the rest of society for the whole of her formative years? And anyway, their ultimate failure probably told people that the Borg were near impossible to outwit. So yeah, you'd probably still get the crazies chasing after Borg ships.
Economic Compass
Left -7.00
Libertarian -2.67

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:39 pm

The Corparation wrote:[

He still ran like hell. And his experiences would probably make sure that no Federation ship got near Borg territory, given that and later experiences.

Wisconsin9 wrote:What about those scientists who followed a cube around for-fucking-ever before finally getting busted?

They were insane. Seriously, who takes a toddler on a trip which is a) exceptionally dangerous, as they probably knew, and b) isolated Seven (or whatever her pre-Borg name was) from the rest of society for the whole of her formative years? And anyway, their ultimate failure probably told people that the Borg were near impossible to outwit. So yeah, you'd probably still get the crazies chasing after Borg ships.

To be fair, they did do surprisingly well.
~~~~~~~~

Priory Academy USSR
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Priory Academy USSR » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:41 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:

To be fair, they did do surprisingly well.

Their talents were put to waste. If you can invent technology that shields your ship from Borg sensors, they would have been of much more use back on Earth with the full resources of the Federation behind them.
Economic Compass
Left -7.00
Libertarian -2.67

Technocratic Corporate Entities
Attaché

Founded: Dec 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Technocratic Corporate Entities » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:31 pm

I love all the series, Spock, Kirk and Uhuru. Picard, Data & Worf...also dug Cue, 7of9, and the Borg in general, Captain Sisko, Odo, capt Archer, T'pol....yesssssssss

The United Soviet Socialist Republic
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The United Soviet Socialist Republic » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:18 pm

Say, why is there a Star Trek discussion thread, but not a Lord of the Rings discussion thread?
Gay and Proudand also a brony
Political Compass:Left: 7.76, Authoritarian: 5.6
I am: Fascist/Corporatist on economy,
Conservative on social issues(Support same sex marriage),
Anti secularist on religion,
Anti-Republican on government,
Interventionist/Imperialist on international issues

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:27 pm

The United Soviet Socialist Republic wrote:Say, why is there a Star Trek discussion thread, but not a Lord of the Rings discussion thread?

Make one. :p
Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart. -Khalil Gibran
Cut red tape with the Red Book / Bureaucracy is a system - #ApplyTNI / Think globally, act locally
At fifteen, I set my heart on learning. At thirty, I was firmly established. At forty, I had no more doubts. At fifty, I knew the will of heaven. At sixty, I was ready to listen to it. At seventy, I could follow my heart's desire without transgressing what was right. ~Analects, 2:4
I wear teal, blue, pink, and red for Swith.
mumblemumblemumble

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction