NATION

PASSWORD

The Star Wars vs. WH40K Debate

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which series do you prefer [Not who wins.]

Star Wars
37%
WH40k
30%
Halo
10%
Combination of each
6%
All of them
10%
Other
8%

Total votes : 719

Vareiln
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Vareiln » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:04 pm

Primordial Luxa wrote:
Trollgaard wrote:
It is. Especially Grand Admiral Thrawn.

:palm:
this is why star wars got sold to Disney.

No. Star Wars got sold to Disney because of Lucas being greedy. Not because of the EU.
Hell, they'll likely ignore the EU.

The Zeonic States
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Zeonic States » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:05 pm

Arkotania wrote:
The Zeonic States wrote:You want to know my personal favorite of palpatine's abilities?

The ability to use the Life force of his very subjects to keep himself alives and increase his power.

He used an entire Planet of billions for that Method, It kept him all but Immortal and increasingly more and more powerful.

The ability to create and control a force storm? Insanely impressive, The ability to duel five jedi master's and kill four of them in a matter of moments? Again impressive but nothing compared to that one trick.

So, all those living things coming from the 40k Universe would just be "soul food" for Palpatine?

Pretty much; No idea how he did it and the trick died with him to my knowledge but he had the power to literally use the lIfe force of billions to keep himself alive and (Basically immortal) Along with increasing his power in the force to levels never seen before.

It literally took destorying that entire planet to make him vulunerable.
National Imperialist-Freedom Party

Proud member of the stone wall alliance

Agent Maine: of NSG's Official Project Freelancer

[Fires of the Old Republic Role Play]http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=239203

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:06 pm

Vareiln wrote:
Primordial Luxa wrote:

No. Star Wars got sold to Disney because of Lucas being greedy. Not because of the EU.

Given that Lucas is going to use the money received for Star Wars to fund an education project, I'm afraid your view is rather black & white.
CVT Temp wrote:I mean, we can actually create a mathematical definition for evolution in terms of the evolutionary algorithm and then write code to deal with abstract instances of evolution, which basically equates to mathematical proof that evolution works. All that remains is to show that biological systems replicate in such a way as to satisfy the minimal criteria required for evolution to apply to them, something which has already been adequately shown time and again. At this point, we've pretty much proven that not only can evolution happen, it pretty much must happen since it's basically impossible to prevent it from happening.

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:06 pm

Vareiln wrote:
Primordial Luxa wrote:

Good Lord, I hope not! What is the new movie in 2015 going to be about if not Grand Admiral Thrawn!?!?!?

The Zeonic States
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Zeonic States » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:07 pm

Vareiln wrote:
The Zeonic States wrote:You want to know my personal favorite of palpatine's abilities?

The ability to use the Life force of his very subjects to keep himself alives and increase his power.

He used an entire Planet of billions for that Method, It kept him all but Immortal and increasingly more and more powerful.

The ability to create and control a force storm? Insanely impressive, The ability to duel five jedi master's and kill four of them in a matter of moments? Again impressive but nothing compared to that one trick.

I'm kind of rusty when it comes to Star Wars lore on Palpatine's abilities. The planet you're mentioning is Byss, correct?

Yup; The Rebellion- New Republic sorry used the galatic gun to destory it to make him killable but Yeah he basically was a god while that planet was around.

[Fires of the Old Republic Role Play]http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=239203

Vareiln
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vareiln » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:07 pm

Hurdegaryp wrote:
Vareiln wrote:No. Star Wars got sold to Disney because of Lucas being greedy. Not because of the EU.

Given that Lucas is going to use the money received for Star Wars to fund an education project, I'm afraid your view is rather black & white.

Then I'm wrong.

Vareiln
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vareiln » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:08 pm

Trollgaard wrote:
Vareiln wrote:No. Star Wars got sold to Disney because of Lucas being greedy. Not because of the EU.

Good Lord, I hope not! What is the new movie in 2015 going to be about if not Grand Admiral Thrawn!?!?!?

Whatever it is, it won't be based on anything in the EU.

The Zeonic States
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Zeonic States » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:09 pm

Trollgaard wrote:

It would be insanely interesting to see if they could portray thrawn in a live action film, By far one of the most interesting antagonists presented in the EU easily.

The Zeonic States
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Zeonic States » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:11 pm

Vareiln wrote:
Trollgaard wrote:

THAT JUST UTTERLY SUCKS! >:( I am already disapointed.

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:12 pm

Vareiln wrote:
Trollgaard wrote:

Wha...wha..whyyyyyyyyyyyyy???!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

The Zeonic States
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Zeonic States » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:14 pm

Vareiln wrote:
Primordial Luxa wrote:I'm sorry is that the extended universe. I stay away from that crap.

Crap? I'm sorry, did you just call the EU crap?
Some of it(As there is literally hundreds of people who have contributed to it) is indeed crap, but as a whole? Not at all.

I enjoy some portions of the EU greatily, Even those taking place in the distant past or Future of the Genre it really depends upon the Author and Subject matter but i view Zahn's stuff as perfect as you can get into the EU personally from the Heir to the Empire Trilogy to its' sequels to it's prequels in the early days of the Empire.

Also liked erm what was it? Outbound flight, excellent.

I liked how he was very good at tieing in storylines.

Laeriland
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Laeriland » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:16 pm

Vareiln wrote:
Trollgaard wrote:

Not quite, it says that it will not be directly (emphasis is mine) based on anything in the EU.

Vareiln
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vareiln » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:20 pm

The Zeonic States wrote:
Vareiln wrote:Crap? I'm sorry, did you just call the EU crap?
Some of it(As there is literally hundreds of people who have contributed to it) is indeed crap, but as a whole? Not at all.

I enjoy some portions of the EU greatily, Even those taking place in the distant past or Future of the Genre it really depends upon the Author and Subject matter but i view Zahn's stuff as perfect as you can get into the EU personally from the Heir to the Empire Trilogy to its' sequels to it's prequels in the early days of the Empire.

Personally, I liked the storylines that came after the Vong invasion. They were all pretty cool, especially Jacen's descent.
Also, Zahn is supposedly going to somehow be involved in the movie. Likely going to be working with Lucas as a creative adviser or something.

Vareiln
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vareiln » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:21 pm

Laeriland wrote:

Not quite, it says that it will not be directly (emphasis is mine) based on anything in the EU.

Still, my point was that it won't be based on the Thrawn trilogy or another storyline.

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:21 pm

Vareiln wrote:
The Zeonic States wrote:

Personally, I liked the storylines that came after the Vong invasion. They were all pretty cool, especially Jacen's descent.
Also, Zahn is supposedly going to somehow be involved in the movie. Likely going to be working with Lucas as a creative adviser or something.

I'm still butthurt that it isn't going to be the Thrawn trilogy.

:( :( :( :(

Laeriland
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Laeriland » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:22 pm

Vareiln wrote:
Laeriland wrote:Not quite, it says that it will not be directly (emphasis is mine) based on anything in the EU.

Still, my point was that it won't be based on the Thrawn trilogy or another storyline.

I love that book series as much as the next guy but I can hardly blame them for wanting to write their own material. Doesn't mean that they can't, and won't, use some of what the others have created for them however.
Trollgaard wrote:I'm still butthurt that it isn't going to be the Thrawn trilogy.

Be realistic, the chances of that happening were never more than slim at best.
Last edited by Laeriland on Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Zeonic States
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Zeonic States » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:23 pm

Trollgaard wrote:
Vareiln wrote:Personally, I liked the storylines that came after the Vong invasion. They were all pretty cool, especially Jacen's descent.

I'm still butthurt that it isn't going to be the Thrawn trilogy.

:hug: It does friggin suck

The Zeonic States
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Zeonic States » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:26 pm

Vareiln wrote:
The Zeonic States wrote:

Jacen, Jacen, Jacen had such high, High hopes for you my boy.

The final Student of the woman taught by Darth Vader, he was sort of the end of Vader's Chain in a way.

He was an excellent Sith but he Ultimately couldn't stick to the tenents of that Order unforunately.

His sister was obviously going to be the one that killed him, i saw that miles off but i was still pissed when it happened because personally? He could have taken her, Sword of the Jedi or no he was that damn good.

He dueled Luke to a standstill and he was much stronger then her.

Agymnum
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Agymnum » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:26 pm

Preference goes to Warhammer 40k for not pussying-around.

Star Wars gets a close-second for properly simulating galactic bureaucracy, in all its glory and bullshit.

Halo's just your run-of-the-mill, sci-fi shooter. Nothing special, and nothing I've felt to be worth playing.
Glorious puppet of Highfort

The UEG-Space Command
Minister

Founded: Jan 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The UEG-Space Command » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:27 pm

Agymnum wrote:Preference goes to Warhammer 40k for not pussying-around.

Star Wars gets a close-second for properly simulating galactic bureaucracy, in all its glory and bullshit.

Halo's just your run-of-the-mill, sci-fi shooter. Nothing special, and nothing I've felt to be worth playing.

Halo has novels and film two you know? heck Halo 4 was very in depth for the main character.

And the Forerunner novels are not bad either.
"For too many years, humanity was on the backfoot. Reacting to threats, rather than preventing them. Rest of the galaxy was bigger than us. Stronger than us. We were mice, hiding in the shadows, hoping the giants would not see us. No more. Humanity is no longer on the defense. We are the giants now."

"It is an undeniable and may I say fundamental quality of man, that when faced with extinction, every alternative is preferable."
—Leonard Church

"You ever wonder why we're here?"

Arkotania
Minister

Founded: Sep 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkotania » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:28 pm

Though I think the realism of 40k tends to die as it progresses. The most coherent plot/story for the 40k universe, for me, was the Horus Heresy, after that it felt like everything else was just being stretched longer and longer.
Mostly back from a long hiatus from the forums
Arkania 5 wrote:
Arkotania wrote:Matt Ward

No.

Nononononononononono

Gauthier wrote:
Arkotania wrote:
Then your testicles become strange tentacles.

And then you make films in Japan.

Ovisterra wrote:
Oceanic people wrote:where lives are at steak

I try not to point out people's spelling errors all the time, but this one was brilliant.

Nationstatelandsville wrote:
Arkotania wrote:Or maybe NS is also a degraded society.

This. Definitely this.

Neo Arcad wrote:
Qatarab(Arkotania Puppet) wrote:Where's my torch? Time to burn some courts down.

Oh, you crazy Muslim you!

The Zeonic States
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Zeonic States » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:28 pm

The UEG-Space Command wrote:

Halo has novels and film two you know? heck Halo 4 was very in depth for the main character.

Greg Bear is a Friggin Hack
Last edited by The Zeonic States on Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:30 pm

Trollgaard wrote:
The Zeonic States wrote:
And actually might level the playing field.

Yeah, otherwise 40k would curbstomp star wars.

If it's fan made, it'll be pure Nerdrage Calvinball with bias towards one or the other.

If it was GW made, barring someone's ego the brand name push would weight towards SW in varying degrees.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Agymnum
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Agymnum » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:30 pm

The UEG-Space Command wrote:

To be honest, Halo never really struck me as doing anything particularly original or fresh with the sci-fi genre.

Star Wars gets a pass for basically inventing modern, mainstream sci-fi (along with Star Trek), and Warhammer 40k gets a pass for taking sci-fi and giving it a pair of wheelbarrow-sized testicles.

Halo's not bad, don't get me wrong. I've played it, but I've never understood the hype. It's alright, pretty good in terms of production values, but it's not something I'd go out of my way to show to my children and be like, "Back in my day, we used to play with this here video game, boy!"
Glorious puppet of Highfort

The UEG-Space Command
Minister

Founded: Jan 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The UEG-Space Command » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:31 pm

The Zeonic States wrote:
The UEG-Space Command wrote:Halo has novels and film two you know? heck Halo 4 was very in depth for the main character.

Greg Bear is a Friggin Hack

*Shoots head of with a Bolter Hardlight combo*

"Heretics best keep quite or else they upset the gods"
"For too many years, humanity was on the backfoot. Reacting to threats, rather than preventing them. Rest of the galaxy was bigger than us. Stronger than us. We were mice, hiding in the shadows, hoping the giants would not see us. No more. Humanity is no longer on the defense. We are the giants now."

"It is an undeniable and may I say fundamental quality of man, that when faced with extinction, every alternative is preferable."
—Leonard Church

"You ever wonder why we're here?"

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction