NATION

PASSWORD

The Star Wars vs. WH40K Debate

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which series do you prefer [Not who wins.]

Star Wars
37%
WH40k
30%
Halo
10%
Combination of each
6%
All of them
10%
Other
8%

Total votes : 719

North Calaveras
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 22, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby North Calaveras » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:44 pm

Forster Keys wrote:The Empire, the Imperium and the UNSC should all just do the decent thing and unite. I mean they're all highly expansionist, militarist, human supremacist with a varying yet shared xenophobia. Then they can wipe out those damn bleeding heart Star Trek liberals.

The United Empire
Government: Romanist Ceasarist Dictatorship
Political Themes: Nationalism, Romanticism, Ceasarism, Militarism, Social Liberalism, Cult of Personality
Ethnic Groups: American, Latino, Filipino

Ultis Templarii
Attaché

Founded: Apr 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ultis Templarii » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:45 pm

Trollgaard wrote:
Bone Fort wrote:
... Those boarding pods would be destroyed in seconds by a Star Wars ship's defenses and star fighters.

And even then they'd have to catch them first before the battle, since hyperspace is astronomically faster then Warp travel, and has zero chance of demon attack.

Bah, nonsense.

An A wing got through ships defenses and took out a Super Star destroyer. A boarding would get though, too. And I'm sure a few would get destroyed, but not all of them.

Yeah, we all saw how point defense weapons worked with the death stars.

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:45 pm

Ultis Templarii wrote:
Trollgaard wrote:
Bah, nonsense.

An A wing got through ships defenses and took out a Super Star destroyer. A boarding would get though, too. And I'm sure a few would get destroyed, but not all of them.

Haha, true dat, son.

North Calaveras
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby North Calaveras » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:45 pm

Ultis Templarii wrote:
Trollgaard wrote:
Bah, nonsense.

That was with a named charecter...hes practically guaranteed victory.
Political Themes: Nationalism, Romanticism, Ceasarism, Militarism, Social Liberalism, Cult of Personality

Maroza
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 28, 2011
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Maroza » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:46 pm

North Calaveras wrote:
Raziac wrote:T'would be badass.

I would just translate it into warhammer 40k terms

Stormtroopers=guardsmen

and so on.

No, imperial soldiers = Guardsmen

Stormtrooper = Stormtrooper
Current level 5: Peacetime
Find a Helmet
Put on a Helmet

Find me someone who does not support the revolutionary sciences and the technology of peace and they will be shot as traitors to the revolution.~Aethrys
The disease first struck a wealthy nation with low population density, an adequate health care system and naturally declining population.

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:46 pm

North Calaveras wrote:
Forster Keys wrote:The Empire, the Imperium and the UNSC should all just do the decent thing and unite. I mean they're all highly expansionist, militarist, human supremacist with a varying yet shared xenophobia. Then they can wipe out those damn bleeding heart Star Trek liberals.

The United Empire

that would be...too fucking cool.

Maroza
Ambassador

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Maroza » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:46 pm

Trollgaard wrote:
North Calaveras wrote:
The United Empire

One of us One of us One of us
Find a Helmet
Put on a Helmet

Find me someone who does not support the revolutionary sciences and the technology of peace and they will be shot as traitors to the revolution.~Aethrys
The disease first struck a wealthy nation with low population density, an adequate health care system and naturally declining population.

The Zeonic States
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Zeonic States » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:47 pm

Ultis Templarii wrote:
The Zeonic States wrote:
Three words

Perfected Dark Trooper

only a handful of phase three's were produced due to the vessel making them being destoryed but with their armor and weaponry? Yeah i think they could rip a space Marine Apart easily or blow them away or burn them to cinders with a repeating autocanon.

Their armor being resistant to even lightersabers and capable of resistant to practically anything else? Toss in ass load of extremely lethal weaponry? Mass production means that your overpowered group of ground powers has an Imperial equal.

Best part? That nearly invincible armor? It was going to be the standard issue material used in storm trooper armor, Not speical forces units mind you, they always had better then the grunt armor but every single one would be issued phrik armor. Energy weapons? Don't even bother, also quite resistant to explosions and projectiles.

In short? There ARE counters to those OP forces you fellows can continue to brag on.

.-. In the Skies, on the Ground and as far as troops go.

You do realize those are practically the standard issue weapons and gear for Space Marines and Co. and even their opponents.

Hence why i said an equal not a superior it would turn every stormtrooper into an equal fighting force comparable to a DarkTrooper, Can you imagine that? A military force the size of the Imperial Army all equal in terms of fire power and durability to a space Marine?

Oh that would be a good fight.

And the ground war would be the only one that the space marines could win seeing as how starwars has them beat in space due to vastily superior starships.
National Imperialist-Freedom Party

Proud member of the stone wall alliance

Agent Maine: of NSG's Official Project Freelancer

[Fires of the Old Republic Role Play]http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=239203

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:48 pm

Maroza wrote:
Trollgaard wrote:

One of us One of us One of us

For the Emperor!

err...wait...what am I saying?! Death to the False Emperor! AVE DOMINUS NOX!

Bone Fort
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Bone Fort » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:49 pm

The Zeonic States wrote:Hence why i said an equal not a superior it would turn every stormtrooper into an equal fighting force comparable to a DarkTrooper, Can you imagine that? A military force the size of the Imperial Army all equal in terms of fire power and durability to a space Marine?

And the ground war would be the only one that the space marines could win seeing as how starwars has them beat in space due to vastily superior starships.

And if you bring Star Forge into the equation, or the Galaxy Gun, or the World Devastators, or the Eclipse, or the Sun Crusher, etc., no hope for 40k.
Me summed up in one sentence.

I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.

The Zeonic States
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Zeonic States » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:49 pm

DEATH TO TREKKIES!

[Fires of the Old Republic Role Play]http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=239203

Bone Fort
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Bone Fort » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:50 pm

I'm extremely happy that even though we may argue here a lot, we can still unite in our hatred of Star Trek.

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:51 pm

Bone Fort wrote:
The Zeonic States wrote:Hence why i said an equal not a superior it would turn every stormtrooper into an equal fighting force comparable to a DarkTrooper, Can you imagine that? A military force the size of the Imperial Army all equal in terms of fire power and durability to a space Marine?

And if you bring Star Forge into the equation, or the Galaxy Gun, or the World Devastators, or the Eclipse, or the Sun Crusher, etc., no hope for 40k.

Yes.

Nids and Orks.

And rallying all the Chaos Space Marines to fight along side their loyalist brethren. I think they'd team up for a bit to curbstomp some Star Wars dudes.

Maroza
Ambassador

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Maroza » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:51 pm

Bone Fort wrote:

Dark Troopers + Star Forge = Epic Battle on a scale never seen
Find a Helmet
Put on a Helmet

The Holy Dominion of Inesea
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 08, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Holy Dominion of Inesea » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:52 pm

Would Thought Bombs affect Warp species? If so, sorry 40k, your F!@#@#
I'm really tired

North Calaveras
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby North Calaveras » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:52 pm

Trollgaard wrote:
Bone Fort wrote:

Yes.

Nids and Orks.

And rallying all the Chaos Space Marines to fight along side their loyalist brethren. I think they'd team up for a bit to curbstomp some Star Wars dudes.

Nids are to slow, Orks are good, but Nids against the Empire would fail, the empire could mass to many forces for a hive fleet to handle, they can predict where a fleet will go and just mass a retard-size fleet and annihilate it.

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:52 pm

Bone Fort wrote:I'm extremely happy that even though we may argue here a lot, we can still unite in our hatred of Star Trek.

Hey now, don't go putting words in people's mouths. I am watching DS9 as we type!

And why didn't we bring Babylon 5 into this discussion? The fucking Shadows man...

Ultis Templarii
Attaché

Founded: Apr 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ultis Templarii » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:52 pm

We could always try a thread of this although I think it would just devolve into number wank and godmod.

Transhuman Proteus
Senator

Founded: Mar 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Transhuman Proteus » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:53 pm

Ultis Templarii wrote:How would that work though? I mean 40k has blasters and they're called the Emperor's flashlights for their uselessness. So how would the rules work out? And even still we've seen how useless the armor of stormtroopers is in the movies and even more of how they can't aim at all.

I guess Stormtrooper S:3 T:3 BS:2 WS:2 W:1 I:5 Sv:6+ ?

Imperial Guard lasguns are still very effective in setting. They are the AK-47s of the setting, mass produced, reliable, effective and perfectly suited to managing civilians and lightly armoured foes. They are called the Emperor's flashlights because this is also a setting with super human guys in armour that makes them walking tanks who fight with rapid fire rocket launchers, against alian automotons that are almost as resiliant as the T-1000 that can disintegrate you or aliens slice you to ribbons with mono-fibre weapons or miniature black holes.

A lasgun still puts a nice hole in concrete.

Priory Academy USSR wrote:
Bone Fort wrote:
Nope. They'd be massacred by the overwhelming firepower of Star Wars tech.

Space Marines curbstomp everything when outnumbered 1000 to 1. Don't ask me how.

Setting wise? By starting off by being the peak humans from the recruitment pool before becoming walking talks with a similar amount of fire power given super human strength, endurance and speed thanks to science who usually have hundreds of years of combat experience against orks, chaos etc.

1000 to 1 is a bit of an exaggeration, and in setting their are ways around that (super advanced necrons have weapons that defeat their armour and are damn hard to kill, orks are close in strength and massively outnumber them, same but different with tyranids, Chaos is their dark reflection with daemons). There are there "300" stories of exceptional heroes and forces, but they are completely the norm.

Trollgaard wrote:
Priory Academy USSR wrote:
Look, if we bring in out of game sources, the Space Marines would probably just wipe out the Imperial Navy. Seriously, they're incredibly overpowered in all of the stories.

No, they are perfect! It shows how hard the 40k universe is. The Space Marines are uber powerful gods of war, yet are still defeated by the countless enemies of the Emperor.

Heh. Though I guess that is right. Thousands of years of constant war against orks, Chaos, Elder and in more recent times Necron and Tyranids... it's a lot of foes to fight.
Last edited by Transhuman Proteus on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Zeonic States
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Zeonic States » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:53 pm

Bone Fort wrote:

I loved the concept of the world Devastators almost comparable to a StarForge in the fact they were mobile factories, or rather resource gathering devices.

With the resources of planets at their Heel the Empire was able to stave off the Rebellion for quite a while, The Reborn Emperor had the best friggin toys.

The Eclipse, Galaxy gun and World Devastators.

Upiantstan
Envoy

Founded: Sep 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Upiantstan » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:53 pm

star wars would win, hands down. especially if you brought in the Yuuzhan Vong.

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:54 pm

North Calaveras wrote:
Trollgaard wrote:
Yes.

Nids and Orks.

Nids are to slow, Orks are good, but Nids against the Empire would fail, the empire could mass to many forces for a hive fleet to handle, they can predict where a fleet will go and just mass a retard-size fleet and annihilate it.

That's the thing...any one they might be able to handle. But Nids, Orks, the Imperium of Man all together? Not a chance.

ALMF
Minister

Founded: Jun 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby ALMF » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:54 pm

New Zepuha wrote:This is stemming from a debate that happened in a factbook thread and myself and the OP asked us to move the debate to another thread. Feel free yourself to pitch in your own ideas and commentary on the discussion. So what are we discussing exactly?

Really it has started over who could beat who in pitched combat and win. So far we haven't heard much from the Halo sector but have established the covenant are weaker than they appear. The UNSC hasn't been mentioned in detail. Right now the biggest debate is that Star Wars ships have biggers weapons, but that most are impractical in their usage.

Hot Points!:

The Quality and Power of Star Wars and Wh40K ships [So far only Imperial Navy]

1. No Swearing
2. Keep posts related and relevant
3. No attacking the person behind the nation
4. This is a debate not an argument, so that means only facts.
5. Have Fun
6. NO TROLLING

Halo has been determined to have lost all credibility of even standing against Star Wars or WH40k.

The Imperiom has a problem: a 12% annul population destruction curve. I did the calculations. This means a population hafelife of 5 years: the impirom is to unstable to be taken as a consistent. Leaving the Toa and starwars. The advantage of starwars is a escape the laws of relativity and free ballistics. On the other hand the toa wepondry is hi-valosit mas in quantity. The NJO demonstrate st vulnerability to said. My conclusion: too close to call.
a left social libertarian (all on a scale 0-10 with a direction: 0 centrist 10 extreme)
Left over right: 5.99
Libertarian over authoritarian: 4.2,
non-interventionist over neo-con: 5.14
Cultural liberal over cultural conservative: 7.6

You are a cosmopolitan Social Democrat. 16 percent of the test participators are in the same category and 5 percent are more extremist than you.

Bone Fort
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Bone Fort » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:55 pm

Ultis Templarii wrote:We could always try a thread of this although I think it would just devolve into number wank and godmod.

Probably, since 40k has things like Nids, SPHESS MARHINES, the Emperor, and Necrons while Star Wars has stuff like Star Forge, the Galaxy Gun, Darth Nihilius, and Dark Troopers.

North Calaveras
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby North Calaveras » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:56 pm

Trollgaard wrote:
North Calaveras wrote:

That's the thing...any one they might be able to handle. But Nids, Orks, the Imperium of Man all together? Not a chance.

good things Nids will fight anyone as they are just hungry and don't take sides, Orks are Orks.

At least the factions in star wars can ally.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction