NATION

PASSWORD

The Star Wars vs. WH40K Debate

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which series do you prefer [Not who wins.]

Star Wars
37%
WH40k
30%
Halo
10%
Combination of each
6%
All of them
10%
Other
8%

Total votes : 719

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:25 pm

Bone Fort wrote:
The Zeonic States wrote:Indeed; Toss in things like the Sun Crusher and Galatic Gun and such? You have devices capable of destorying Solar Systems.

The Starforge a platform capable of generating Military vessels, Droids and Materials of war and pretty much anything else with little to no resources being used.

Starwars has a few things capable of making it "Invincible"

And that's putting it lightly.

And I sense we're about to get back into it, so I'm just going to drop it.

How about we compare the two in terms of story telling and general atmosphere? I like how 40k is going with the grimdark thing, it's a fresh breeze from the usual Hollywood "Good guys always win, happy ending" stuff we usually get, but sometimes I feel they go a bit to far into it, ya know?

Oh, I revel in it! I can't get enough! Why I'm so far into that the Imperium is my paradise!

Graditora
Senator

Founded: Jul 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Graditora » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:25 pm

I'm like the only Starcraft fan :lol2:
Favorite Quote: "A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge"- Thomas Carlyle
The Shadow of F7
Pronounced: "Grah-deh-tor-ah" | Now with a wiki!
Luziyca wrote:You were the one responsible for the Second Amendment.

Bafuria wrote:If I was allowed to carry I would carry a pistol with big, loud muzzle blast, something that says "I JUST SHOT YOU D:<".

Ea90 wrote:Someone knows what they want.

Romberg wrote:You do not mess with the nation with a scorpion on its flag.

Descedant of George Reed. Delaware signer of the Deceleration of Independence.

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:26 pm

Graditora wrote:I'm like the only Starcraft fan :lol2:

*boots the heretic out the door*

Arkotania
Minister

Founded: Sep 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkotania » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:27 pm

Bone Fort wrote:
Trollgaard wrote:We don't have to, I"m just sayin'.

Space Marines and all that.

Again, not that simple.

But yeah, if he had gotten the Star Forge, nothing would've stopped him. Hell, even 40k wouldn't be able to.

No forge world could compete with a station that pumps out hundreds of cruisers and battleships and fighters within hours(though with the dark force of Palpatine or Vader, it would probably be faster. Malak was nothing...)
Mostly back from a long hiatus from the forums
Arkania 5 wrote:
Arkotania wrote:Matt Ward

No.

Nononononononononono

Gauthier wrote:
Arkotania wrote:
Then your testicles become strange tentacles.

And then you make films in Japan.

Ovisterra wrote:
Oceanic people wrote:where lives are at steak

I try not to point out people's spelling errors all the time, but this one was brilliant.

Nationstatelandsville wrote:
Arkotania wrote:Or maybe NS is also a degraded society.

This. Definitely this.

Neo Arcad wrote:
Qatarab(Arkotania Puppet) wrote:Where's my torch? Time to burn some courts down.

Oh, you crazy Muslim you!

Bone Fort
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Bone Fort » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:27 pm

Graditora wrote:I'm like the only Starcraft fan :lol2:

No, I'm with you, it's a great game.
Me summed up in one sentence.

I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.

The Zeonic States
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Zeonic States » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:28 pm

Bone Fort wrote:
The Zeonic States wrote:Indeed; Toss in things like the Sun Crusher and Galatic Gun and such? You have devices capable of destorying Solar Systems.

The Starforge a platform capable of generating Military vessels, Droids and Materials of war and pretty much anything else with little to no resources being used.

Starwars has a few things capable of making it "Invincible"

And that's putting it lightly.

And I sense we're about to get back into it, so I'm just going to drop it.

How about we compare the two in terms of story telling and general atmosphere? I like how 40k is going with the grimdark thing, it's a fresh breeze from the usual Hollywood "Good guys always win, happy ending" stuff we usually get, but sometimes I feel they go a bit to far into it, ya know?

Indeed; I liked the early EU and how it presented new characters into the existing Universe, Generally after the defeat of the Imperial Forces at Endor.

Grand Admiral Thrawn is a excellent example, He was a Brilliant Military leader and His motivations are clouded in shadows until much later on.

He did horrible things, Genocide and Enslavement included but all for preparing the galaxy to fight the threat to come.

He is the perfect example of a fellow who could have been a protagonist but was slated to be an antagonist due to his methods.

Jacen Solo is another example, He like Anakin skywalker fell to the Darkside to Avoid the Horrors that would befall those he loved if he remained who he was.

Starwars has its fair shareof the "Grim Dark" Storyline, it just generally ends with the "Good Guys" Winning and ending up looking like Jack asses later.
National Imperialist-Freedom Party

Proud member of the stone wall alliance

Agent Maine: of NSG's Official Project Freelancer

[Fires of the Old Republic Role Play]http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=239203

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:28 pm

Trollgaard wrote:
Bone Fort wrote:How about we compare the two in terms of story telling and general atmosphere? I like how 40k is going with the grimdark thing, it's a fresh breeze from the usual Hollywood "Good guys always win, happy ending" stuff we usually get, but sometimes I feel they go a bit to far into it, ya know?

Oh, I revel in it! I can't get enough! Why I'm so far into that the Imperium is my paradise!

The Imperium is your paradise? I don't envy you. I don't envy you at all! They do have all those amazing tanks and titans, though. Big, clunky and lumbering, yet equipped with impressive weaponry. I can dig that.
CVT Temp wrote:I mean, we can actually create a mathematical definition for evolution in terms of the evolutionary algorithm and then write code to deal with abstract instances of evolution, which basically equates to mathematical proof that evolution works. All that remains is to show that biological systems replicate in such a way as to satisfy the minimal criteria required for evolution to apply to them, something which has already been adequately shown time and again. At this point, we've pretty much proven that not only can evolution happen, it pretty much must happen since it's basically impossible to prevent it from happening.

Arkotania
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkotania » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:30 pm

Hurdegaryp wrote:
Trollgaard wrote:

The Imperium is your paradise? I don't envy you. I don't envy you at all! They do have all those amazing tanks and titans, though. Big, clunky and lumbering, yet equipped with impressive weaponry. I can dig that.

Pray that the machine spirit doesn't refuse to start up today(or did you just forget to fuel the damn thing?)
Arkania 5 wrote:

No.

Nononononononononono

Gauthier wrote:
Arkotania wrote:

Ovisterra wrote:

I try not to point out people's spelling errors all the time, but this one was brilliant.

This. Definitely this.

Neo Arcad wrote:
Qatarab(Arkotania Puppet) wrote:Where's my torch? Time to burn some courts down.

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:35 pm

Hurdegaryp wrote:
Trollgaard wrote:

For the God Emperor!

Why don't ye envy me?

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:37 pm

Trollgaard wrote:
Hurdegaryp wrote:The Imperium is your paradise? I don't envy you. I don't envy you at all! They do have all those amazing tanks and titans, though. Big, clunky and lumbering, yet equipped with impressive weaponry. I can dig that.

For the God Emperor!

Why don't ye envy me?

Because in the future there is only war.
CVT Temp wrote:I mean, we can actually create a mathematical definition for evolution in terms of the evolutionary algorithm and then write code to deal with abstract instances of evolution, which basically equates to mathematical proof that evolution works. All that remains is to show that biological systems replicate in such a way as to satisfy the minimal criteria required for evolution to apply to them, something which has already been adequately shown time and again. At this point, we've pretty much proven that not only can evolution happen, it pretty much must happen since it's basically impossible to prevent it from happening.

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:38 pm

Hurdegaryp wrote:
Trollgaard wrote:
For the God Emperor!

Why don't ye envy me?

YES!

Arkotania
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkotania » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:38 pm

Hurdegaryp wrote:
Trollgaard wrote:
For the God Emperor!

Why don't ye envy me?

And Matt Ward.
Arkania 5 wrote:

No.

Nononononononononono

Gauthier wrote:
Arkotania wrote:

Ovisterra wrote:

This. Definitely this.

Neo Arcad wrote:

The Zeonic States
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Zeonic States » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:45 pm

Arkotania wrote:
Hurdegaryp wrote:Because in the future there is only war.

And Matt Ward.

Friggin Bum
National Imperialist-Freedom Party

Proud member of the stone wall alliance

Agent Maine: of NSG's Official Project Freelancer

[Fires of the Old Republic Role Play]http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=239203

Empire of Narnia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Narnia » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:58 pm

Star Wars because it's the coolest and it has the force.

Primordial Luxa
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 30, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Primordial Luxa » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:02 pm

The Zeonic States wrote:
Hurdegaryp wrote:Because in the future there is only war.

And Matt Ward.

He is not an accurate representation of what we enjoy in our hobby
Swith Witherward wrote:But I trust the people here. Well, except Prim. He has shifty eyes but his cute smile make up for it.

Monfrox wrote:But it's not like we've known Prim to really stick with normality...

P2TM wrote:HORROR/THRILLER Winner - Community Choice Award For Favorite Horror/Thriller Player: Primordial Luxa

Factbook (underconstruction)
Personification Life and GAU Posts
Luxan Imperial Narcotics (The ONLY narcotics store on GE&T)

The UEG-Space Command
Minister

Founded: Jan 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The UEG-Space Command » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:31 pm

Forerunners kill star wars and Warhammer before kicking their own universes ass, then the Precursors kick their ass.

Anyways the winner is Halo, the Modern races don't really have much on Star Wars (EU added, Movie gets pwned) and Warhammer.

But when the Ancient Halo races like Ancient Humanity and San 'Shyuum, plus the Forerunners and the Flood and the Precursors, they just run right through Star Wars and Warhammer like nothing.

And this guy visits Spacebattles every day, I know my facts.

When it comes to what I like more?

Halo
Warhammer
Star Wars (Because EU)
"For too many years, humanity was on the backfoot. Reacting to threats, rather than preventing them. Rest of the galaxy was bigger than us. Stronger than us. We were mice, hiding in the shadows, hoping the giants would not see us. No more. Humanity is no longer on the defense. We are the giants now."

"It is an undeniable and may I say fundamental quality of man, that when faced with extinction, every alternative is preferable."
—Leonard Church

"You ever wonder why we're here?"

The UEG-Space Command
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The UEG-Space Command » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:33 pm

Trollgaard wrote:I prefer 40k, but I like star wars a lot. I don't know much about Halo, but from what I know it seems pretty neat, though not nearly as cool as the other two settings.

Also, 40k would stomp the other settings if they got into a war.

Modern Halo yes, Ancient Halo laughs for a good twenty minutes before the force Warhammer to lube up.
"For too many years, humanity was on the backfoot. Reacting to threats, rather than preventing them. Rest of the galaxy was bigger than us. Stronger than us. We were mice, hiding in the shadows, hoping the giants would not see us. No more. Humanity is no longer on the defense. We are the giants now."

"It is an undeniable and may I say fundamental quality of man, that when faced with extinction, every alternative is preferable."
—Leonard Church

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:41 pm

I love Star Wars, I love 40K, but halo has been he seiries I've stuck with side I began to get into shooters and war stories.
password scrambled

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:44 pm

The UEG-Space Command wrote:Forerunners kill star wars and Warhammer before kicking their own universes ass, then the Precursors kick their ass.

Anyways the winner is Halo, the Modern races don't really have much on Star Wars (EU added, Movie gets pwned) and Warhammer.

But when the Ancient Halo races like Ancient Humanity and San 'Shyuum, plus the Forerunners and the Flood and the Precursors, they just run right through Star Wars and Warhammer like nothing.

Halo
Warhammer
Star Wars (Because EU)

You obviously do not know what happens when a full sized hive fleet comes to town. The flood were a cakewalk in comparison.
password scrambled

Kreanoltha
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kreanoltha » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:52 pm

Condunum wrote:
The UEG-Space Command wrote:Forerunners kill star wars and Warhammer before kicking their own universes ass, then the Precursors kick their ass.

Halo
Warhammer
Star Wars (Because EU)

You obviously do not know what happens when a full sized hive fleet comes to town. The flood were a cakewalk in comparison.

Uh... no. You need to catch up on the Culture Greg Bear Forerunner. The Forerunner are basically the Culture now. They could fight the factions of WH40K from hundreds or even thousands of light years away by just firing through slipspace. They could send a single warship to go strafe a solar system. It will never have to leave slipspace. It won't even have to slow down. A single Forerunner non-combat ship tanked teratons. It was made almost completely out of hard light. Their War Sphinxes (think their version of an AC-130) can casually wipe cities off the map. The Forerunner outclass everything in WH40K in an extreme way.
I'M BACK!!!

"The size of ones internet spaceboats are inversely proportional to the size of ones penis."

FT only.
#NSLegion. For all your NS-FT RPing needs.

The UEG-Space Command
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The UEG-Space Command » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:53 pm

Condunum wrote:

Halo
Warhammer
Star Wars (Because EU)

No, the Flood were no cakewalk, they tend to fight on the level of their opponent when they test the race (whole Mantle of Responsibility thing and all.) The Nids would have been cooked far faster than the Flood if they attacked the Forerunners, even at full size.

And to end future debates, Forerunners are just slightly below the Culture, if you don't know what the Culture is then that is alright.

http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/ ... ad.236388/

Flood were not a stupid race of zombies, they were controlled by a entity that would fit in the likes of Warhammer itself or lovecraft. The Flood managed to beat the Forerunners because they could last long enough for Gravemind to corrupt Mendicant Bias thus meaning they could bring the Ecumene to its knees.

—Leonard Church

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:36 pm

Primordial Luxa wrote:
The Zeonic States wrote:And Matt Ward.

He is not an accurate representation of what we enjoy in our hobby

Exactly, the man writes codices by shitting on a keyboard and whatever happens goes into them.
Last edited by Napkiraly on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maroza
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 28, 2011
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Maroza » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:40 pm

Rule number 27: Do not refer to the machine spirit as cruse control.
Current level 5: Peacetime
Find a Helmet
Put on a Helmet

Find me someone who does not support the revolutionary sciences and the technology of peace and they will be shot as traitors to the revolution.~Aethrys
The disease first struck a wealthy nation with low population density, an adequate health care system and naturally declining population.

Ultis Templarii
Attaché

Founded: Apr 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ultis Templarii » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:31 am

Oh, come now.

The Warp would so totally rip the forerunners a new one.

If they can't handle zombies with just a little bit of psychic powers then how would they stack up to something like Chaos with all the four powers especially Tzeentch?

The last time something in 40K similar were the Eldar who were quite similar to the forerunner and look how they wound up.

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:20 am

40k Always wins because of the sheer amount of "just as planned" and CCCRRREEEEEEEDDDDDDD!!!!!!
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction