NATION

PASSWORD

"Music sucks these days": the ultimate disproof

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

North Wiedna
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby North Wiedna » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:20 pm

Paixao wrote:Personally, I like Hard Rock and Metal, yet, everywhere I go, I cannot for the LIFE of me find a single hard rock/metal radio station.

are you sure? seems like every non-pop or classic rock musical radio station is playing that shit.
Paixao wrote:Hence, when i moan that "music is shit these days" I don't mean that LITERALLY all music is shit, I'm just bemoaning the fact that no radio station or person ever plays the music I enjoy - making me feel like 'music these days' sucks. The hard rock/metal stuff I listen to is still releasing new albums which I love, but I never get to listen to them.

I am not at all interested in immortality, only in the taste of tea.

Demen 2
Minister

Founded: Jun 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Demen 2 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:25 pm

TaQud wrote:
Oterro wrote:What lyrics do you like?

lyrics that rhyme with words (and occassionally slangs) that I know or heard of and make sense

You've been living awhile in the front of my skull, making orders. You've been writing me rules, shrinking maps, redrawing borders. Ive been repeating your speeches but the audience just doesn't follow. Because I'm leaving out words, punctuation and it sounds pretty hollow. Ive been living in bed because now you tell me to sleep. Ive been hiding my voice and my face and you decide when I eat. In your dreams I'm a criminal, horrible, sleeping around. While you're awake, I'm impossible, constantly letting you down.

Little porcelain figurines, glass bullets you shoot at the wall. Threats of castration for crimes you imagine when I miss your call. With the bite of the teeth of that ring on my finger, I'm bound to your bedside, your eulogy singer. I'd happily take all those bullets inside you and put them inside of my self.

"Some one, oh anyone, Tell me how to stop this. She's screaming, expiring and I'm her only witness. I'm freezing, infected, and rigid in that room beside her. No one's gonna come as long as I lay still in bed beside her."

^Like that?
Last edited by Demen 2 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Cause music is bigger than words and wider than pictures

Paixao
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Paixao » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:34 pm

North Wiedna wrote:
Paixao wrote:Personally, I like Hard Rock and Metal, yet, everywhere I go, I cannot for the LIFE of me find a single hard rock/metal radio station.

are you sure? seems like every non-pop or classic rock musical radio station is playing that shit.
Paixao wrote:Hence, when i moan that "music is shit these days" I don't mean that LITERALLY all music is shit, I'm just bemoaning the fact that no radio station or person ever plays the music I enjoy - making me feel like 'music these days' sucks. The hard rock/metal stuff I listen to is still releasing new albums which I love, but I never get to listen to them.

Never get to listen to them, on the radio, that is (I apologize, I thought it was implicit). Don't worry, my iPod gets a loooot of use.

Where I live I only get pop, talk/news, traditional music or classical music (the last of which I also enjoy, but most others my age don't :( ). I'm sure its different in other places.
Economic Left/Right: -8.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.10

[Citations Needed]

Cosmopoles
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosmopoles » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:53 pm

Tunasai wrote:
Strawberrry Fields wrote:I don't see how this is 'disproof'.

Most music these days does suck. I mean there's nothing to compare to the Beatles, Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones, I could go on.

Your theory that people don't like modern music because it's all about "sex, drugs, and money" isn't correct. A ton of old music has elements of those including that song you posted.

People don't like modern music cause it can't compare, doesn't even come close.

You wana disproof that. Find something better.

Felice Brothers and Mumford and Sons

American Folk at its finest

(Yes I consider M&S American Folk. Why? Even though they are British they've taken American Mountain instruments and combined it with Shakespeare and creativity, plus Biblical references to make music that even God would love. Best of American and British Folk)

Or rather, Mumford are some soulless A&R man's idea of what folk music is resulting in what the legendary Mark E Smith described as sounding like "a load of retarded Irish folk singers".

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:54 pm

Tunasai wrote:Felice Brothers and Mumford and Sons

American Folk at its finest

no, listen to sufjan

ufos, zombies, and someone i'll probably never talk to again

infinite variety, infinite feels

TaQud wrote:
Paixao wrote:The thing is, when people say 'music sucks these days' they mean the pop music they hear on the radio.

this (with the addition of most hip-hop and rap)

Actually, it's probably a small fraction of the global quantities of hip-hop/rap.

Paixao wrote:(the last of which I also enjoy, but most others my age don't :( ).

Please don't develop a complex like that unless the music you listen to is actually weird and obscure. If you're 15 and you like free improvisation then you can go on about being an outsider, but if you're 15 and you like Bach or something that's not all that unusual.
ᛋᛃᚢ - Social Justice Úlfheðinn
Potarius wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which physical bodies attract with a force proportional to their mass.

In layman's terms, orgy time.

Niur wrote: my soul has no soul.

Saint Clair Island wrote:The English language sucks. From now on, I will refer to the second definition of sexual as "fucktacular."

Trotskylvania wrote:Alternatively, we could go on an epic quest to Plato's Cave to find the legendary artifact, Ockham's Razor.

Norstal wrote:Gunpowder Plot: America.

Meryuma: "Well, I just hope these hyperboles don't...

*puts on sunglasses*

blow out of proportions."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...so here's your future

Paixao
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Paixao » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:51 pm

Meryuma wrote:Please don't develop a complex like that unless the music you listen to is actually weird and obscure. If you're 15 and you like free improvisation then you can go on about being an outsider, but if you're 15 and you like Bach or something that's not all that unusual.

Hey, I'm not complaining, and its no 'outsider complex'. Statistically, of the people I have met, 95% plus are not a fan of classical music. Just a fact... "most of the people I have met" do not like classical music!

Finally, nothing wrong with a bit of free improv! :D
Last edited by Paixao on Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Citations Needed]

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:12 pm

Paixao wrote:Finally, nothing wrong with a bit of free improv! :D

damn straight
Potarius wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which physical bodies attract with a force proportional to their mass.

Saint Clair Island wrote:The English language sucks. From now on, I will refer to the second definition of sexual as "fucktacular."

Trotskylvania wrote:Alternatively, we could go on an epic quest to Plato's Cave to find the legendary artifact, Ockham's Razor.

*puts on sunglasses*

...so here's your future

TaQud
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby TaQud » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:21 pm

Demen 2 wrote:
TaQud wrote:lyrics that rhyme with words (and occassionally slangs) that I know or heard of and make sense

You've been living awhile in the front of my skull, making orders. You've been writing me rules, shrinking maps, redrawing borders. Ive been repeating your speeches but the audience just doesn't follow. Because I'm leaving out words, punctuation and it sounds pretty hollow. Ive been living in bed because now you tell me to sleep. Ive been hiding my voice and my face and you decide when I eat. In your dreams I'm a criminal, horrible, sleeping around. While you're awake, I'm impossible, constantly letting you down.

Little porcelain figurines, glass bullets you shoot at the wall. Threats of castration for crimes you imagine when I miss your call. With the bite of the teeth of that ring on my finger, I'm bound to your bedside, your eulogy singer. I'd happily take all those bullets inside you and put them inside of my self.

"Some one, oh anyone, Tell me how to stop this. She's screaming, expiring and I'm her only witness. I'm freezing, infected, and rigid in that room beside her. No one's gonna come as long as I lay still in bed beside her."

^Like that?

Yep
CENTRIST Economic Left/Right: 0.62 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.46
List Your Sexuality, nickname(s), NSG Family and Friends, your NS Boyfriend or Girlfriend, gender, favorite quotes and anything else that shows your ego here.
(Because I couldn't live without knowing who was part of NSG Family or what your nickname was. I was panicking for days! I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep I was so worried that I'd would never know and have to live without knowing this! /sarcasm)
2013 Best signature Award

Post War America
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 05, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:46 pm

Every period has crappy music. Every single one, that even includes the era that the "dadrockers" worship. The reason why people complain about the music of their current era more so than the older stuff is that usually after a few years, the crap gets sifted out of common view, leaving the best stuff around. People including the nostalgic older generation, and the younger generation, will generally only encounter the better stuff (the older generation at this point removed the crap out of their collective memory) this then leads to a rose tinted view of music of the past. This joins with the fact that people are listening to both the crap and the good music of the current era. Now, if these people were either completely unexposed to prior music or experienced both the good and bad of the prior, then this would lead to a realistic view. However, as stated previously, the "oldies" still commonly in view is the best. This leads to the complaining about "How modern music is so much worse than the 'oldies'". Every genre, era, and even every group has crap and good stuff. This has always been the case, and it will likely always be the case.
Ceterum autem censeo Carthaginem delendam esse
Proudly Banned from the 10000 Islands
For those who care
A PMT Social Democratic Genepunk/Post Cyberpunk Nation the practices big (atomic) stick diplomacy
Not Post-Apocalyptic
Economic Left: -9.62
Social Libertarian: -6.00
Unrepentant New England Yankee
Gravlen wrote:The famous Bowling Green Massacre is yesterday's news. Today it's all about the Cricket Blue Carnage. Tomorrow it'll be about the Curling Yellow Annihilation.

DRJagon
Secretary

Founded: Oct 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby DRJagon » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:13 am

Azrael wrote:
DRJagon wrote:Oterro, my post seemed pretty self-explanatory, I'd rather not type out the same exact shit... I mis-quoted you anyways, was mean't for the dunce who likes Nicki Minaj.

Lyrics are very important... especially when the song has lyrics in it. :meh:

And if the song is in another language? Magma, Koenji Hyakkei, and sometimes Sigur Rós both have lyrics in a non-existent language, so yeah.

I have never heard of any of those people/bands. I listen to hip hop/rap music/instrumental entirely, so lyrics to me are very important. I also prefer music that is comprehensive to me, which means no screaming in the microphone and speaking in the only language I know.

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:14 am

Music does suck these days. I mean seriously, Gangnam Style? What idiot thought of that? :palm:
You ever woke up one morning and just decided it wasn't one of those days and you were gonna break some stuff?
President: Doug McDowell
Population: 227 million
Tech: MT-PMT
I don't use most NS stats
Ideology: Democracy Manifest
Pro: truth
Anti: bullshit

Latest Headlines
[TNN] A cargo ship belonging to Torisakia disappeared off the coast of Kostane late Wednesday evening. TBI suspects foul play. || Congress passes a T$10 billion aid package for the Democratic Populist rebels in Kostane. To include firearms, vehicles, and artillery.

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:12 am

Torisakia wrote:Music does suck these days. I mean seriously, Gangnam Style? What idiot thought of that? :palm:

Name 5 artists from the 21st century who are not on major labels.
Potarius wrote:

*puts on sunglasses*

...so here's your future

Oterro
Post Marshal

Founded: May 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:13 am

DRJagon wrote:I have never heard of any of those people/bands. I listen to hip hop/rap music/instrumental entirely, so lyrics to me are very important. I also prefer music that is comprehensive to me, which means no screaming in the microphone and speaking in the only language I know.

go read poetry
we, unlike the bourgeoisie, have nothing to lose and therefore our expression will be the only honest one, our words will be the only challenging ones and our art will be the one revolutionary expression. We need new noise and new voices and new canvases to become something more than the last poets of a useless generation.

United Koryo
Envoy

Founded: Oct 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United Koryo » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:17 am

I want to listen to classical music, since New-Age pop has degraded itself into electronic kitsch.

Dogapus
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dogapus » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:20 am

If you've never listened to Nirvana, then yo don't know music, and most music today is dubstep, which sucks
Nothing to see here folks, just another Communist nation

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:26 am

United Koryo wrote:I want to listen to classical music, since New-Age pop has degraded itself into electronic kitsch.

New Age pop was always electronic kitsch I'm pretty sure.

Dogapus wrote:If you've never listened to Nirvana, then yo don't know music, and most music today is dubstep, which sucks

Dubstep is a very small fraction of music today.

As for Nirvana, I will admit that In Utero is a great album but I never got super into them.
Potarius wrote:

*puts on sunglasses*

...so here's your future

Dogapus
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dogapus » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:45 am

Meryuma wrote:
United Koryo wrote:I want to listen to classical music, since New-Age pop has degraded itself into electronic kitsch.

Dogapus wrote:If you've never listened to Nirvana, then yo don't know music, and most music today is dubstep, which sucks

As for Nirvana, I will admit that In Utero is a great album but I never got super into them.

All kids listen to these days Is One ERection, Justin Beaver, and dubstep

Paixao
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Paixao » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:36 am

Dogapus wrote:
Meryuma wrote:

All kids listen to these days Is One ERection, Justin Beaver, and dubstep

Amen to that, High Priest Dogapus!

ALL BOW! :bow:

[Citations Needed]

Post War America
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 05, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:19 am

Meryuma wrote:
Torisakia wrote:Music does suck these days. I mean seriously, Gangnam Style? What idiot thought of that? :palm:

What constitutes a major label? This will have dramatic impact on my answer.
Ceterum autem censeo Carthaginem delendam esse
Proudly Banned from the 10000 Islands
For those who care
A PMT Social Democratic Genepunk/Post Cyberpunk Nation the practices big (atomic) stick diplomacy
Not Post-Apocalyptic
Economic Left: -9.62
Social Libertarian: -6.00
Unrepentant New England Yankee
Gravlen wrote:The famous Bowling Green Massacre is yesterday's news. Today it's all about the Cricket Blue Carnage. Tomorrow it'll be about the Curling Yellow Annihilation.

Oterro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:17 am

nirvana are baby's first rock band

most music isn't dubstep you'd have to be stupid to think so
Dogapus wrote:All kids listen to these days Is One ERection, Justin Beaver, and dubstep

So are these kids your big brother? Because you sound like a fucking 12 year old.
Paixao wrote:Amen to that, High Priest Dogapus!

Don't endorse stupidity and wrongness, thanks.
we, unlike the bourgeoisie, have nothing to lose and therefore our expression will be the only honest one, our words will be the only challenging ones and our art will be the one revolutionary expression. We need new noise and new voices and new canvases to become something more than the last poets of a useless generation.

Dogapus
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dogapus » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:53 am

Oterro wrote:

nirvana are baby's first rock band

Dogapus wrote:All kids listen to these days Is One ERection, Justin Beaver, and dubstep

So are these kids your big brother? Because you sound like a fucking 12 year old.
Paixao wrote:Amen to that, High Priest Dogapus!

For Your Info Nirvana was a Grunge band, not rock, you can not tell me most kids don't ;isten to these things, what do they listen to then, and also, i'm 13, gets your facts right, don't say that i'm stupid and wrong, otherwise I'll tell a mod

And no, my brother is not stupid enough to listen to the c*** they have today, however, most kids at my school love music today, even dubstep, which isn't even music
Last edited by Dogapus on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:15 pm

The past had shit music just like the present. The past also had really really good music. I haven't really heard any modern stuff that's as good as previous generations of music however. All in all the amount of crap stuff has really increased and the amount of good stuff has decreased. Honestly I don't think I've heard any album from the last ten years that compares to stuff like Sublime's self titled album, Black Flag's Damaged, anything by the Ramones, the Beatles etc etc. And that's not even going back to, Beethoven, Bach, Mozart or any of the old great composers.
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

DRJagon
Secretary

Founded: Oct 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby DRJagon » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:34 pm

Oterro wrote:
DRJagon wrote:I have never heard of any of those people/bands. I listen to hip hop/rap music/instrumental entirely, so lyrics to me are very important. I also prefer music that is comprehensive to me, which means no screaming in the microphone and speaking in the only language I know.

go read poetry

No thanks, I'll get to that point when it's needed.. I prefer the music I listed. Didn't come here for suggestions, sir.

Oterro, must be the all-knowing. :roll:

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:35 pm

Post War America wrote:
Meryuma wrote:

What constitutes a major label? This will have dramatic impact on my answer.

Corporate as opposed to independent.

The Corparation wrote:Honestly I don't think I've heard any album from the last ten years that compares to stuff like Sublime's self titled album, Black Flag's Damaged, anything by the Ramones, the Beatles etc etc.

...have you looked?

Dogapus wrote:
Oterro wrote:nirvana are baby's first rock band

For Your Info Nirvana was a Grunge band, not rock, you can not tell me most kids don't ;isten to these things, what do they listen to then, and also, i'm 13, gets your facts right, don't say that i'm stupid and wrong, otherwise I'll tell a mod

And no, my brother is not stupid enough to listen to the c*** they have today, however, most kids at my school love music today, even dubstep, which isn't even music

1. Grunge is a type of rock.
2. What most kids listen to doesn't define what music is significant in an era.
3. You can't use the mods as a weapon, IIRC that's punishable.
4. You don't have to censor "crap".
5. Dubstep is music by definition. You can't say it's not good (I'm not particularly into it) but that doesn't effect whether it's music.
Potarius wrote:

*puts on sunglasses*

...so here's your future

Oterro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:48 pm

Dogapus wrote:For Your Info Nirvana was a Grunge band,
which, anyway you look at it, is a sub genre of rock
Dogapus wrote: you can not tell me most kids don't ;isten to these things,
they're one of the most popular bands of the past 20 years, good lord
Dogapus wrote: what do they listen to then,
why don't you go ask them
Dogapus wrote: and also, i'm 13,
which is pretty much a child
Dogapus wrote:gets your facts right, don't say that i'm stupid and wrong, otherwise I'll tell a mod
don't make stupid statements
Dogapus wrote:And no, my brother is not stupid enough to listen to the c*** they have today, however, most kids at my school love music today, even dubstep, which isn't even music
why is dubstep not music
The Corparation wrote:Honestly I don't think I've heard any album from the last ten years that compares to stuff like Sublime's self titled album, Black Flag's Damaged,

I've been listening to 'My War' a loooot recently. It's fantastic. I prefer it to Damaged tbh.
DRJagon wrote:No thanks, I'll get to that point when it's needed.. I prefer the music I listed. Didn't come here for suggestions, sir.

Oterro, must be the all-knowing. :roll:

oh jeez what is this high school debate club, drop the ''sir'' and the pretentious attitude

this from someone who has the audacity to tell pop fans they should stop listening to music

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction