NATION

PASSWORD

"Music sucks these days": the ultimate disproof

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.
Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

"Music sucks these days": the ultimate disproof

Postby Meryuma » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:03 pm

Many people believe music has gone downhill. According to these people, we used to have great, meaningful music such as the Beatles or whatever and now everything's just about sex, drugs, and money. What could better epitomize this than a song entitled "Tight A$" (sic), featuring lyrics such as "just as tight as you can make it, hard and slow ain't hard enough, just as tight as you can make it girl, get it on and do your stuff"? This is a real song, mind you.

It was recorded in 1973 by John Fucking Lennon. Case closed.

I would urge dadrockers and their ilk to remove the beam from their own eye before attempting to remove the speck from another's.
ᛋᛃᚢ - Social Justice Úlfheðinn
Potarius wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which physical bodies attract with a force proportional to their mass.

In layman's terms, orgy time.

Niur wrote: my soul has no soul.

Saint Clair Island wrote:The English language sucks. From now on, I will refer to the second definition of sexual as "fucktacular."

Trotskylvania wrote:Alternatively, we could go on an epic quest to Plato's Cave to find the legendary artifact, Ockham's Razor.

Norstal wrote:Gunpowder Plot: America.

Meryuma: "Well, I just hope these hyperboles don't...

*puts on sunglasses*

blow out of proportions."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...so here's your future

Azrael
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Azrael » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:35 pm

wow man 1 sng dsnt proove any thing!1!1!!!11 jon lemons still better then al teh "artists" of 2day

But really, I agree that music hasn't gone downhill at all, but I don't think one song is gonna change people's minds. I think lots know that some of Lennon's solo stuff was really quite poor. I think if you really want to make a point, post a whole lot of the good shit from today, and maybe a bit of the really bad stuff from well-known and mediocre artists from back when, although our point is not to say that music sucked back as it is to say that there's really no reason to bitch about modern music.
If nothing exists, where did this anger come from?

TaQud
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby TaQud » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:57 pm

IMO, I jsut wish the lyrics in songs made more sense and most (80-70%) words rhyming wouldn't be slang...
CENTRIST Economic Left/Right: 0.62 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.46
List Your Sexuality, nickname(s), NSG Family and Friends, your NS Boyfriend or Girlfriend, gender, favorite quotes and anything else that shows your ego here.
(Because I couldn't live without knowing who was part of NSG Family or what your nickname was. I was panicking for days! I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep I was so worried that I'd would never know and have to live without knowing this! /sarcasm)
2013 Best signature Award

Azrael
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Azrael » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:04 pm

TaQud wrote:IMO, I jsut wish the lyrics in songs made more sense

I like cryptic lyrics and lyrics that make no sense, as long as they don't ruin song (which they often won't unless the song focuses on the words rather than the music).

New Sapienta
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Sapienta » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:26 pm

There is a lot of shit.

But there is always a lot of shit.

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:53 pm

New Sapienta wrote:There is a lot of shit.

Exactly.
Potarius wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which physical bodies attract with a force proportional to their mass.

Saint Clair Island wrote:The English language sucks. From now on, I will refer to the second definition of sexual as "fucktacular."

Trotskylvania wrote:Alternatively, we could go on an epic quest to Plato's Cave to find the legendary artifact, Ockham's Razor.

*puts on sunglasses*

...so here's your future

Ibwa
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ibwa » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:00 pm

hoop gangan style never a better song
Durant's moves: 1. Bite 2. dig 3. sand attack 4. iron defence
Voltorb's: tackle, charge, thundershock
Deinoes: Tackle, Dragon Rage, Focus Energy, Bite
Misdreavus: psywave, spite, astonish, confuse ray
Koffing: smoke screen, sludge, tackle

Dorlania
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dorlania » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:12 pm

this
"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stomping on a human face--forever"

Sardine World wrote:maintain

when you liberals cant get new technology because all the asians are dead, dont come crying to me

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:Yes, but 9gag has nothing funny or original.
insert/gender/sexuality/political alignment/disorder
the soft parade has now begun~
Unity and Solidarity
Mallorea and Riva should resign

Azrael
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Azrael » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:34 pm

Yep.

Strawberrry Fields
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 19, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Strawberrry Fields » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:05 am

I don't see how this is 'disproof'.

Most music these days does suck. I mean there's nothing to compare to the Beatles, Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones, I could go on.

Your theory that people don't like modern music because it's all about "sex, drugs, and money" isn't correct. A ton of old music has elements of those including that song you posted.

People don't like modern music cause it can't compare, doesn't even come close.

You wana disproof that. Find something better.
No one I think is in my tree, I mean it must be high or low.
That is you can't you know tune in but it's all right.
That is I think it's not too bad.

Once upon a time... Or maybe twice there was an unearthly paradise called Hippy Haven.
See my paintings and various artwork here! :)

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Oterro
Post Marshal

Founded: May 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:02 am

Strawberrry Fields wrote:I don't see how this is 'disproof'.

Most music these days does suck. I mean there's nothing to compare to the Beatles,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRjJh0cqAEo
Strawberrry Fields wrote: Pink Floyd,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvCLhq8okxc
Strawberrry Fields wrote:The Rolling Stones,
The Rolling Stones suck though. I could just paste a link to any crappy modern hard rock band here.
Strawberrry Fields wrote: I could go on.
Please do. The bands you've listed have completely fulfilled the stereotype of dad rocker so unless you're going to start listing bands like Can, Cromagnon, the Stranglers or Gang of Four no one's going to take you very seriously.
Strawberrry Fields wrote:Your theory that people don't like modern music because it's all about "sex, drugs, and money" isn't correct. A ton of old music has elements of those including that song you posted.
It is true 90% of the time. They focus constantly on lyrics for the most part.
Strawberrry Fields wrote:People don't like modern music cause it can't compare, doesn't even come close.
Well for one thing most people certainly do prefer it. Because ''modern music'' is popular. It's charting. Stuff from the 60's and 70's isn't.

For another most bands in the past 100 years have been abysmal. You just like the few remembered as being very good like Floyd, the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. More people are recording music now than ever before. It's more affordable, easier and simpler. Because only a very small quantity of music produced is of decent quality the more music that is created the larger said small quantity becomes.
Strawberrry Fields wrote:You wana disproof that. Find something better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITDaToPnsNs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NivY_iRdSBQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO7VP34n2Ps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teffTQupBM4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oolwsWexSzQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQesn5uRVfs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahe9BPmMJAc
we, unlike the bourgeoisie, have nothing to lose and therefore our expression will be the only honest one, our words will be the only challenging ones and our art will be the one revolutionary expression. We need new noise and new voices and new canvases to become something more than the last poets of a useless generation.

Strawberrry Fields
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 19, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Strawberrry Fields » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:27 am

Wow that's quite a reply, I don't have enough time to properly response to it now. I will try do give a more full response at some point, you've given me alot of music to review, so far though I am really enjoying it, don't think any of it can top the Beatles, but still good stuff.
No one I think is in my tree, I mean it must be high or low.
That is you can't you know tune in but it's all right.
That is I think it's not too bad.

Once upon a time... Or maybe twice there was an unearthly paradise called Hippy Haven.
See my paintings and various artwork here! :)

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Oterro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:36 am

Strawberrry Fields wrote:Wow that's quite a reply, I don't have enough time to properly response to it now. I will try do give a more full response at some point, you've given me alot of music to review, so far though I am really enjoying it, don't think any of it can top the Beatles, but still good stuff.

well i am glad you listened to some of it at least :-)
we, unlike the bourgeoisie, have nothing to lose and therefore our expression will be the only honest one, our words will be the only challenging ones and our art will be the one revolutionary expression. We need new noise and new voices and new canvases to become something more than the last poets of a useless generation.

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:42 am

People are under the illusion that music (and movies and stuff) are worse today than they ever were before because the only music that remains from days gone by is the good music that endured. There was as much crap then as there is now, you just don't hear the crap from 30 years ago whereas you hear the crap from today every time you turn on the radio.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:06 pm

Strawberrry Fields wrote:Wow that's quite a reply, I don't have enough time to properly response to it now. I will try do give a more full response at some point, you've given me alot of music to review, so far though I am really enjoying it, don't think any of it can top the Beatles, but still good stuff.

Can I add some stuff?
Potarius wrote:

*puts on sunglasses*

...so here's your future

Retro Lyra
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 28, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Retro Lyra » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:16 pm

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter.
Last edited by Retro Lyra on Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The IC name is Rlyra.

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
Retro Lyra wrote:So, does this mean that since I'm white and my boyfriend is spanish he's going to rob all my money from me, scream "Hasta la vista!", and drive off into the sunset in a stolen car? Good to know.

Any time now, Lyra. Any time. Watch your car keys.

And your weed stash.

And your bedroom door. Chances are, he'll rape you first, the Genocidal Bastard.

Equestrian States wrote:Retro Lyra is actually an all-female corporation of puppet-manufacturers.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:42 pm

This is how I see it. There's a lot of shitty music, but there's also a lot of good music too. We can't judge an artistic medium solely based on pop music. Forget the Taylor Swifts and the Katy Perrys. There are a lot of independent acts out there that prove that music doesn't suck.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Demen 2
Minister

Founded: Jun 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Demen 2 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:46 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:This is how I see it. There's a lot of shitty music, but there's also a lot of good music too. We can't judge an artistic medium solely based on pop music. Forget the Taylor Swifts and the Katy Perrys. There are a lot of independent acts out there that prove that music doesn't suck.

Poular radio music is overly-played commercial friendly garbage

It has been this way for a while
'Cause music is bigger than words and wider than pictures

North Wiedna
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby North Wiedna » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:59 pm

Demen 2 wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:This is how I see it. There's a lot of shitty music, but there's also a lot of good music too. We can't judge an artistic medium solely based on pop music. Forget the Taylor Swifts and the Katy Perrys. There are a lot of independent acts out there that prove that music doesn't suck.

Poular radio music is overly-played commercial friendly garbage

I seriously doubt amon duul was played on the radio much over here

yet they're not shit!
I am not at all interested in immortality, only in the taste of tea.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:03 pm

North Wiedna wrote:
Demen 2 wrote:Poular radio music is overly-played commercial friendly garbage

I seriously doubt amon duul was played on the radio much over here

yet they're not shit!

Which is why I said that we need to forget the Taylor Swifts and Pinks and Katy Perrys. We can't judge the medium solely on what is played and played again on the radio. ;)
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Demen 2
Minister

Founded: Jun 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Demen 2 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:06 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
North Wiedna wrote:I seriously doubt amon duul was played on the radio much over here

yet they're not shit!

Which is why I said that we need to forget the Taylor Swifts and Pinks and Katy Perrys. We can't judge the medium solely on what is played and played again on the radio. ;)

I completely agree with you,
'Cause music is bigger than words and wider than pictures

Oterro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:07 pm

North Wiedna wrote:I seriously doubt amon duul was played on the radio much over here

yet they're not shit!

they're weak considering their reverence though

Khelshar
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Khelshar » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:11 pm

I dont think music has started to suck, but it has started to change, and many people who like older music will respond by saying it sucks. I dont like much of modern pop, but that is because i dont like the genre. It is made alot of good music today, and it used to be made alot of shit. But the music from the old days that we remember, are the good stuff. In 20 years, alot of the good music from today will be remembered, but not the bad music.
Nation under re-construction

New Nassrau
Senator

Founded: Nov 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Nassrau » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:11 pm

What? I love Nicki Minaj, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, PSY, Linkin Park, Rihanna, Utada Hikaru, and others!
-Wombat Character
-Martina Del Sol looks like this
Sexy Nass Looks like this
I try my best RP-ing now a different character, like… this woman
-Nass adoptive parent of Aidannadia
-Friends are mostly everyone in Wombat
-Torrocca and I are not dating
-RIP, I WILL MISS THIS

I'm Jewish, AKA I killed Jesus
Lanos... where are you

Goodclark
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Goodclark » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:12 pm

Strawberrry Fields wrote:I don't see how this is 'disproof'.

Most music these days does suck. I mean there's nothing to compare to the Beatles, Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones, I could go on.

Your theory that people don't like modern music because it's all about "sex, drugs, and money" isn't correct. A ton of old music has elements of those including that song you posted.

People don't like modern music cause it can't compare, doesn't even come close.

You wana disproof that. Find something better.

Relevant account, eh?
Christian Socialist. Only post once every few years.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction