NATION

PASSWORD

Is this generation blinded?

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Azrael
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Azrael » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:47 pm

New Sapienta wrote:
Azrael wrote:No, he's ignorant for having indirectly stating he's ignorant of a certain genre in music.

Pretty sure he stated not liking it, implying he has listened to it.

Den svenska riket wrote:recently I started listening to a power metal band that I like. I also began listening to Billy Joel, old European folk songs, 60s songs, Jonny Cash, old country, Chris Ledoux and Gangnam Style.

I still hate rap and hip hop. Call me crazy but the only rap I like is Epic Rap Battles of History and whenever Brysi raps.

Rap isn't a genre, it's a vocal style. If he listened to any of the better hip hop, he wouldn't say he hates it. Hating an entire music genre is ignorant; simply not liking it is acceptable. There's decent stuff that each genre has to offer, and ERBoH and this Brysi guy are not good examples of decent hip hop artists.
If nothing exists, where did this anger come from?

New Sapienta
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Sapienta » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:48 pm

Azrael wrote:
New Sapienta wrote:Pretty sure he stated not liking it, implying he has listened to it.

Den svenska riket wrote:recently I started listening to a power metal band that I like. I also began listening to Billy Joel, old European folk songs, 60s songs, Jonny Cash, old country, Chris Ledoux and Gangnam Style.

I still hate rap and hip hop. Call me crazy but the only rap I like is Epic Rap Battles of History and whenever Brysi raps.

Rap isn't a genre, it's a vocal style. If he listened to any of the better hip hop, he wouldn't say he hates it. Hating an entire music genre is ignorant; simply not liking it is acceptable. There's decent stuff that each genre has to offer, and ERBoH and this Brysi guy are not good examples of decent hip hop artists.

So you basically saying exaggeration=Ignorance

K then.

Azrael
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Azrael » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:49 pm

AETEN II wrote:But I fucking despise most of it. Mumford and Sons, the Black Keys, and Adele are the only 'new' artists that I like.

I think those are some pretty bland artists, and they're also really not very good examples of true indie bands, considering how big they are.

Sedikal
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sedikal » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:50 pm

Azrael wrote:
Sedikal wrote:I want to punch those emo kids that ride the public transit bus when I'm on and they play there music so everyone can hear. I don't hate the music it's just I hate how I cant even here my music sometimes because there to implaite or poor to get headphones.

Name one emo band.

-My Chemical Romance
-Benton Falls
-Dashboard Confessional
-Death Cab for Cutie
-Black Veil Brides
-Rites of Spring
-Embrace (not sure of they are accual emo but I know they had a big influance in the sound of emo music)

And those are all I can think of of my head.
Nice Little Quotes
“Kindness is the golden chain by which society is bound together.”
-Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

Yet human intelligence has another force, too: the sense of urgency that gives human smarts their drive. Perhaps our intelligence is not just ended by our mortality; to a great degree, it is our mortality.
-Adam Gopnik

Fighting for peace, is like fucking for chastity
-Stephen King

Proud Member of the New Democrats in the NSG Senate
Political Compass of Sedikal
KANSAS CITY CHIEFS!

Turchynov/Yatsenyuk
Russia Out Of Crimea

Azrael
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Azrael » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:50 pm

New Sapienta wrote:So you basically saying exaggeration=Ignorance

K then.

No, I'm not. Are you even trying to discern my argument here?

Azrael
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Azrael » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:51 pm

Sedikal wrote:
Azrael wrote:Name one emo band.

-My Chemical Romance
-Benton Falls
-Dashboard Confessional
-Death Cab for Cutie
-Black Veil Brides
-Rites of Spring
-Embrace (not sure of they are accual emo but I know they had a big influance in the sound of emo music)

Rites of Spring are the only one you got correct, and even then it's still arguable. Wikipedia isn't a good source for emo at all.

New Sapienta
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby New Sapienta » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:52 pm

Azrael wrote:
New Sapienta wrote:So you basically saying exaggeration=Ignorance

K then.

No, I'm not. Are you even trying to discern my argument here?

You know when msot people say "I hate that so much" i.e. bands, or fashion styles they are exaggerating, they don't exactly feel disgust and hatred..

Why don't you ask him instead of insulting him?

Azrael
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Azrael » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:55 pm

New Sapienta wrote:
Azrael wrote:No, I'm not. Are you even trying to discern my argument here?

You know when msot people say "I hate that so much" i.e. bands, or fashion styles they are exaggerating, they don't exactly feel disgust and hatred..

I would if he was online. He might've been exaggerating, but you can't tell from what he wrote, and my points still stand on why it's a statement that expresses a degree of ignorance.

AETEN II
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby AETEN II » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:56 pm

Azrael wrote:
AETEN II wrote:But I fucking despise most of it. Mumford and Sons, the Black Keys, and Adele are the only 'new' artists that I like.

I think those are some pretty bland artists, and they're also really not very good examples of true indie bands, considering how big they are.

I know. It's because I fucking hate most of the indie bands. Black Keys are good modern blues (although there's this kid who lives nearby who blows them out of the fucking water. Quality ain't great but he made a CD that's fantastic.) and Mumford and Sons are damned good folk. Adele I like because of the pitch her voice is able to hit. Not to mention that the Skyfall theme ain't half bad.
"Quod Vult, Valde Valt"

Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put out in K.P.

Nationstatelandsville wrote:"Why'd the chicken cross the street?"

"Because your dad's a whore."

"...He died a week ago."

"Of syphilis, I bet."

Best Gif on the internet.

New Sapienta
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby New Sapienta » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:57 pm

Azrael wrote:
New Sapienta wrote:You know when msot people say "I hate that so much" i.e. bands, or fashion styles they are exaggerating, they don't exactly feel disgust and hatred..

I would if he was online. He might've been exaggerating, but you can't tell from what he wrote, and my points still stand on why it's a statement that expresses a degree of ignorance.

Perhaps, if you had the whole story.

How about this, you avoid insulting, then ask him if he's online? Sounds like a way to make everyone happy, OR just put a post asking him, and wait for him to respond. If he doesn't, then you win by default.

Azrael
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Azrael » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:59 pm

New Sapienta wrote:
Azrael wrote:I would if he was online. He might've been exaggerating, but you can't tell from what he wrote, and my points still stand on why it's a statement that expresses a degree of ignorance.

Perhaps, if you had the whole story.

How about this, you avoid insulting, then ask him if he's online? Sounds like a way to make everyone happy, OR just put a post asking him, and wait for him to respond. If he doesn't, then you win by default.

I don't consider myself as having insulted anyone. Argued a point strongly and maybe something that I said could've been taken as an insult, but I don't think I stooped so low as to having directly tried to insult anyone. Either way, I made some of my opinions clear on musical ignorance, and I kinda do feel bad for having to have singled him out like this.

New Sapienta
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby New Sapienta » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:01 pm

Azrael wrote:
New Sapienta wrote:Perhaps, if you had the whole story.

I don't consider myself as having insulted anyone. Argued a point strongly and maybe something that I said could've been taken as an insult, but I don't think I stooped so low as to having directly tried to insult anyone. Either way, I made some of my opinions clear on musical ignorance, and I kinda do feel bad for having to have singled him out like this.

Calling someone ignorant is usually considered an insult, even its true.

I was refrencing Meryuma in specific, not you, however.

Sedikal
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sedikal » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:05 pm

Azrael wrote:
Sedikal wrote:-My Chemical Romance
-Benton Falls
-Dashboard Confessional
-Death Cab for Cutie
-Black Veil Brides
-Rites of Spring

Rites of Spring are the only one you got correct, and even then it's still arguable. Wikipedia isn't a good source for emo at all.

But I didn't use Wikipedia that info from having to listen to that shot all the time on the damn bus. Plus I named one.
Last edited by Sedikal on Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nice Little Quotes

Yet human intelligence has another force, too: the sense of urgency that gives human smarts their drive. Perhaps our intelligence is not just ended by our mortality; to a great degree, it is our mortality.
-Adam Gopnik

-Stephen King

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS!

Turchynov/Yatsenyuk
Russia Out Of Crimea

Azrael
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Azrael » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:06 pm

AETEN II wrote:
Azrael wrote:I think those are some pretty bland artists, and they're also really not very good examples of true indie bands, considering how big they are.

I know. It's because I fucking hate most of the indie bands. Black Keys are good modern blues (although there's this kid who lives nearby who blows them out of the fucking water. Quality ain't great but he made a CD that's fantastic.) and Mumford and Sons are damned good folk. Adele I like because of the pitch her voice is able to hit. Not to mention that the Skyfall theme ain't half bad.

Adele can sing but I don't like her music. Black Keys I've casually listen to , but there not spectacular. To be honest I haven't heard much at all of Mumford and Sons really. Either way, they're too big of artists to strongly use them as an example of indie familiarity. "Indie" isn't actually a genre; it's just more of a label.
New Sapienta wrote:
Azrael wrote:I don't consider myself as having insulted anyone. Argued a point strongly and maybe something that I said could've been taken as an insult, but I don't think I stooped so low as to having directly tried to insult anyone. Either way, I made some of my opinions clear on musical ignorance, and I kinda do feel bad for having to have singled him out like this.

Calling someone ignorant is usually considered an insult, even its true.

Eh, I don't think saying someone is musically ignorant is commonly considered a very strong insult if one at all. However, I very much dislike accidently offending people so I carefully try not to sound to harsh if I accuse someone of something like lacking familiarity with a music genre.

Azrael
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Azrael » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:06 pm

Sedikal wrote:
Azrael wrote:Rites of Spring are the only one you got correct, and even then it's still arguable. Wikipedia isn't a good source for emo at all.

But I didn't use Wikipedia that info from having to listen to that shot all the time on the damn bus.

Just making sure you don't get any ideas in case you try to argue with me.

New Sapienta
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby New Sapienta » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:07 pm

Azrael wrote:
New Sapienta wrote:Calling someone ignorant is usually considered an insult, even its true.

Eh, I don't think saying someone is musically ignorant is commonly considered a very strong insult if one at all. However, I very much dislike accidently offending people so I carefully try not to sound to harsh if I accuse someone of something like lacking familiarity with a music genre.

You didn't even say he was in your original post.

Den Svenska Riket
Ambassador

Founded: May 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Den Svenska Riket » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:08 pm

New Sapienta wrote:
Azrael wrote:No, he's ignorant for having indirectly stating he's ignorant of a certain genre in music.

Pretty sure he stated not liking it, implying he has listened to it.

yes I have listened to it. my sister likes it so I've heard it there. my friend likes it and I have again heard it. sometimes my parents put our local hip hop station on in the car. I have been exposed and still dont like it so that isnt ignorance. it is preference.
My IC name is The Swedish Empire
I am not Swedish, I am American

Azrael
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Azrael » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:09 pm

New Sapienta wrote:
Azrael wrote:

You didn't even say he was in your original post.

Exactly what I mean by careful wording.

Sedikal
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sedikal » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:09 pm

Azrael wrote:
Sedikal wrote:But I didn't use Wikipedia that info from having to listen to that shot all the time on the damn bus.

Just making sure you don't get any ideas in case you try to argue with me.

Not going to. All and all I have at least one song I like from each genre invluding emo it's just I hate it when kids play it were everyone can hear it. They act like everyone like there mostly crappy music.
Nice Little Quotes

-Adam Gopnik

-Stephen King

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS!

Turchynov/Yatsenyuk
Russia Out Of Crimea

New Sapienta
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby New Sapienta » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:10 pm

Azrael wrote:
New Sapienta wrote:You didn't even say he was in your original post.

Exactly what I mean by careful wording.

Therefore most of y argument was geared against Meryuma who juct called him outright ignorant :/

Azrael
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Azrael » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:10 pm

Den svenska riket wrote:
New Sapienta wrote:Pretty sure he stated not liking it, implying he has listened to it.

yes I have listened to it. my sister likes it so I've heard it there. my friend likes it and I have again heard it. sometimes my parents put our local hip hop station on in the car. I have been exposed and still dont like it so that isnt ignorance. it is preference.

Yeah, three people a radio station isn't gonna play even a small fraction of all the hip hop in existence. You should give more a try before solidifying your opinions.

Gaveo
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Gaveo » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:12 pm

Peacelia wrote:I've been noticing now that most kids today are ignoring rock and instead turning to Techno and Hip Hop. What do you think?

Ah flash grenade!

*ahem*

Whats wrong with techno? Its awesome. As for hip hop, eh its questionable...
Bruh.

Azrael
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Azrael » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:15 pm

Sedikal wrote:
Azrael wrote:Just making sure you don't get any ideas in case you try to argue with me.

Not going to. All and all I have at least one song I like from each genre invluding emo it's just I hate it when kids play it were everyone can hear it. They act like everyone like there mostly crappy music.

That's alright. Like I said, of the bands you listed I can only consider one to be emo music. I was just defending the genre since I'm a stalwart emo fan and get a bit irritated when I think someone's misjudged it or mislabels an artist with the term. Black Veil Brides and MCR are actually very, very different from general emo music.

That's where I come from at least.
Last edited by Azrael on Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

North Franklin
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby North Franklin » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:18 pm

Listen to the hip-hop artists on this list, these guys are the best: 2Pac, Notorious B.I.G., Nas, Eminem, Jay-Z, Tribe Called Quest, Wu-Tang Clan, Slick Rick, Andre 3000, Rakim, KRS-One, Scarface, AZ, Mos Def and Taleb Kwali, DMX, Ice Cube, and Jadakiss.
WWFSMD?
The House of Petain wrote:
Souseiseki wrote:ban the firearms. all the firearms. - barack obama

Ah yes, I recall that speech. He then snorted some coke and said death to all the white people, while confessing how he was born in the sewers of Bangladesh and was a Buddhist hitman before becoming senator.

Azrael
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Azrael » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:19 pm

North Franklin wrote:Listen to the hip-hop artists on this list, these guys are the best: 2Pac, Notorious B.I.G., Nas, Eminem, Jay-Z, Tribe Called Quest, Wu-Tang Clan, Slick Rick, Andre 3000, Rakim, KRS-One, Scarface, AZ, Mos Def and Taleb Kwali, DMX, Ice Cube, and Jadakiss.

I'd disagree with a lot of those. I have different artists that I consider the best hip-hop artists that I've at least heard.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction