NATION

PASSWORD

Paradox Games!

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.
Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Paradox Games!

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:31 am

Wooo paradox games!

Any fans/players here? :)
Whats your favourite? Mine is probably Europa Universalis 3 (with mods.), out of the box I have a soft spot for Hearts of iron 2.

And now that europa universalis 4 is coming out, we might see some improvements (though i'm somewhat cynical. :()
What things do you wanna see in EU4

Other than what they've announced, I hope they finally address some of the serious balance issues. No, I don't think Parma should be able to go toe to toe with France of Germany.
At least, until Parma has just as many provinces as they do/manpower etc.
Currrently thats not the case, thanks to insane shit like Prussian Military Reforms giving an effective 10% size increase to the german army, etc.
IMO, there should be a set of generalized decisions (militia act/recruitment act are these) and nations like Germany/the UK etc should have specialized decisions which replace them.
The UK for example, their rule the waves decision should reduce their armies effectiveness but increase the naval. etc.

Oh, And I seriously hope the AI finally improves.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:35 am

I play Victoria I and II, EU Rome (Vae Victis Expansion), EU III (With the Magna Mundi Mod) and CK II. Favorite is probably EU Rome, because it's the most balanced out of all of them and has interesting internal politics.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Maltropia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:37 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:Wooo paradox games!

Plenty. :p My whole region is inhabited by Paradox players.
Whats your favourite? Mine is probably Europa Universalis 3 (with mods.), out of the box I have a soft spot for Hearts of iron 2.

Definitely EU3 here, but I've not played many of their other games. Mount&Blade is amazing too, though.

And now that europa universalis 4 is coming out, we might see some improvements (though i'm somewhat cynical. :()

Other than what they've announced, I hope they finally address some of the serious balance issues.

I want more of the same. :p I'm not really sure what I want; EU3 does exactly what I want it to do, though we'll see how EU4 goes when it comes out.
Ɛ> Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|
Call me Mal(t). Reduce risk of carpal tunnel syndrome!
GE&T:Maritime Imperial Shipwrights | T-O Cartographic
II:Amistad, EATC signatory | PRV founder | CFDS, FIR, ECU member
F&NI:IIwiki | Factbook | Embassy program
WA:Represented by Ambassador Seán Lemass

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:37 am

Conserative Morality wrote:I play Victoria I and II, EU Rome (Vae Victis Expansion), EU III (With the Magna Mundi Mod) and CK II. Favorite is probably EU Rome, because it's the most balanced out of all of them and has interesting internal politics.

It'll come down to personal taste. Vae victis is definately...different...to the others :p It's not my thing really, but I see the appeal.
Out of interest, did you ever play Ming with the factions? Their attempt at internal politics in Eu3 is...strange...

Some mods manage it pretty well :)
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:39 am

Maltropia wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:Wooo paradox games!

Plenty. :p My whole region is inhabited by Paradox players.

Definitely EU3 here, but I've not played many of their other games. Mount&Blade is amazing too, though.

Other than what they've announced, I hope they finally address some of the serious balance issues.

I want more of the same. :p I'm not really sure what I want; EU3 does exactly what I want it to do, though we'll see how EU4 goes when it comes out.

Yeh...In a sense "This, but MORE so." :p
I'd like more internal politics, and more diplomatic options, more peace options.

"Force Abdication."
I want to force the emperor to abdicate dammit.
I want to put a new pope on the throne.

"Partitioning"

And maybe, but I'm betting this would take an insane amount of work, the ability to craft colonial nations rather than wait for them to revolt, like the British did with canada/australia
Ostro.MOV

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:41 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:It'll come down to personal taste. Vae victis is definately...different...to the others :p It's not my thing really, but I see the appeal.
Out of interest, did you ever play Ming with the factions? Their attempt at internal politics in Eu3 is...strange...

I don't know, I got EU III Complete a while ago, never bothered with Divine Wind/Chronicles. Ming plays like all the other non-European factions for me.

VV has a much more personal touch to it than the rest, I think, perhaps on par with Crusader Kings but focusing on the country itself instead of a single dynasty.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:42 am

Conserative Morality wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:It'll come down to personal taste. Vae victis is definately...different...to the others :p It's not my thing really, but I see the appeal.

I don't know, I got EU III Complete a while ago, never bothered with Divine Wind/Chronicles. Ming plays like all the other non-European factions for me.

VV has a much more personal touch to it than the rest, I think, perhaps on par with Crusader Kings but focusing on the country itself instead of a single dynasty.

Ming has a faction system.
Dependent on your ruler/ your policy sliders / events, a different "faction" is in power.
Eunuchs, Priests, beaurocrats.
they provide huge buffs or huge penalties, as well as disable certain actions.
(No exploring as a priest/beaurocrat) etc.

That, and the Mandate Of Heaven.
(If chinese and monarchy, must have 100% legitimacy and over 20 cities, or you get +10% revolt risk all provinces.)

So a Ming game quickly becomes weird.
"How do I dominate the surrounding area WITHOUT annexing it or vassalizing, except diplomatically?"
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ostro.MOV

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:44 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:Ming has a faction system.
Dependent on your ruler/ your policy sliders / events, a different "faction" is in power.

I think all countries have similar systems in the Magna Mundi mod, and I don't even bother with the vanilla game anymore. :lol:

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:45 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:Ming has a faction system.

I think all countries have similar systems in the Magna Mundi mod, and I don't even bother with the vanilla game anymore. :lol:

Yehhh. I use Mundi too :p
Ostro.MOV

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:47 am

I have a challenge for you all, by the way. (it's insane.)

1. You must be the Shogun.
2. You must be the Papal Controller.
3. You must be the Holy Roman Emperor.
4. All at the same time :p

(Yes, it is possible.)

You just have to be a Daimyo, become shogun. Expand into Europe and push your capital over there through various gimmicks, convert to the worship of CATHOL THE UNDYING, and then blob over europe and join the HRE / vassalize the electors.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

Melas
Minister

Founded: Feb 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Melas » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:50 am

I believe paradox games are some of the best most promising strategy games to be ever made (Now or in the distant future) but unfortunately they fuck it all up in the most basic things... take HOI3 for example,you have a good game (after 1.000 patches but ok) but in order to make A SINGLE DECLERATION OF WAR! you have to waste like 5 fing years building shitty threat....

I have played CK2,EUIII,HOI3,Vic2. All excellent games but with their own majoer flows,the bigger problem for me I believe is that I get lost if I start playing as a huge country like UK,Russia or France,I prefer Greece type of nations (take it slow and become GP mid/end game) but you have to rely on other bigger powers to do that (as Greece I used UK or Russia).

For example,
I in VIC2 I had already lanched 2 wars against the O.E in the 1st one I won Thesalia but I lost the 2nd one (white peaced) so I made colonies around africa and built relations with Russia,so after declaring war and calling my allies I got Russia to helo me,together we occupied all of the O.E (except cyprus,cause I had no ships and Russia was too lazy to send transport I guess) I had conquered all of european O.E and 'Izmir' and russia had the rest,we had won no O.E troops no nothing,so how did Russia (war leader) ended the war (after having tons of wargoals,both areas and freeing nations) THEY ONLY TOOK THE CARS REGION FOR THEMSHELFS,after 100 warscore... :palm:

An other game breaker is the multiplayer,I believe plaing with 10 other people and using teamspeak is the best thing EVER when it comes to videogames,unfortunately in order for me to play I had to sign up,in the only forum for MP (vic2) and have weekly sessions in a defined day and hour.Bad thing is that when I play video games I usually have a limited amount of time to do so,and making a schedule for it is really annoying,not to mention you have to open PC ports to host a game (which aint that bad).
FLAG MADE BY: RYAANISTAN
Bralia wrote:
Melas wrote:no matter what,since tentacles are involved,I have already seen enough hentai to know where this is going

A legendary thousandth post, to be sure. :lol: Congrats.
G-Tech Corporation wrote:
Ottozum Empire wrote:He also likes his daughters to marry people

Melas is a sugar daddy. Spread the rumor.
Please Join This Awesome RP

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:50 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:I have a challenge for you all, by the way. (it's insane.)

(Yes, it is possible.)

You just have to be a Daimyo, become shogun. Expand into Europe and push your capital over there through various gimmicks, convert to the worship of CATHOL THE UNDYING, and then blob over europe and join the HRE / vassalize the electors.

I have a challenge - play as a one province nation in Europe and stop France from blobbing and absorbing every-fucking-thing.

Goddamn France... >:(

Also, I'm stealing CATHOL THE UNDYING as my new description of the deity that Catholics worship. :lol:

Melas
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Melas » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:54 am

I guess CK2 is my favorite game and more fun to play (also best mp in paper),only problem is the blobs and that I have to crush rebellion,after rebellion EVERY.FUCKING.TIME I die... try playing as a 90 year old emperor of a huge Byzantine empire,you know you are gonna be 8%^&*& soon
Bralia wrote:
Melas wrote:no matter what,since tentacles are involved,I have already seen enough hentai to know where this is going

Melas
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Melas » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:55 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:I have a challenge for you all, by the way. (it's insane.)

(Yes, it is possible.)

I have a challenge - play as a one province nation in Europe and stop France from blobbing and absorbing every-fucking-thing.

Goddamn France... >:(

Also, I'm stealing CATHOL THE UNDYING as my new description of the deity that Catholics worship. :lol:

Play as a lowly count in BE with no relation to the emperor and take the throne befoe they pass the 'no vassals attack vassals' act
Bralia wrote:

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:55 am

Melas wrote:I guess CK2 is my favorite game and more fun to play (also best mp in paper),only problem is the blobs and that I have to crush rebellion,after rebellion EVERY.FUCKING.TIME I die... try playing as a 90 year old emperor of a huge Byzantine empire,you know you are gonna be 8%^&*& soon

realism!
But...it would be nice if you could have a bit better AI, and have some dukes invested in the status quo for various reasons. (They have a shot at inheriting the whole empire if they play their cards right, so they will use their influence to prevent rebellions etc.)
Ostro.MOV

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:56 am

Oh another one.

Play Byzantium, become the holy roman empire with historic(ish) roman empire borders.

As for france, france is weak.
You just have to get burgundy and england into an alliance (With eachother or with you) and BAM.
No more france.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ostro.MOV

Maltropia
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:57 am

Conserative Morality wrote:I have a challenge - play as a one province nation in Europe and stop France from blobbing and absorbing every-fucking-thing.

Ask and you shall receive.

Man, that was the most fun game I ever played. :p
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:58 am

Maltropia wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:I have a challenge - play as a one province nation in Europe and stop France from blobbing and absorbing every-fucking-thing.

Ask and you shall receive.

Wow, you survived as Bar? I thought they put it in as a joke to hardcore players :p
Ostro.MOV

Melas
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Melas » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:59 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:Oh another one.

Play Byzantium, become the holy roman empire with historic(ish) roman empire borders.

You just have to get burgundy and england into an alliance (With eachother or with you) and BAM.
No more france.

I guess the hardest part on this isnt being the HRE leader,but having borders in the west without getting raped by the mongols
Bralia wrote:

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:59 am

Maltropia wrote:Ask and you shall receive.

How the hell did you get that many mercs? :p

Maltropia
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:00 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Maltropia wrote:Ask and you shall receive.

Wow, you survived as Bar? I thought they put it in as a joke to hardcore players :p

Not only did I survive, I beat France in a war within the first few decades. :lol: Please read the AAR, it remains good to this day.[/ego]

Though I think some of the pictures need fixing... good thing I still have that folder.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:00 am

Melas wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:Oh another one.

No more france.

I guess the hardest part on this isnt being the HRE leader,but having borders in the west without getting raped by the mongols

It's more that you'd have to deal with being the wrong religion as the major powers imo. Plus, remember, the reformation can in fact flip Orthodox provinces...which can become REALLY annoying :p
Ostro.MOV

Belhorizon
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Belhorizon » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:01 am

WOO PARADOX!
I hate EUIII, to be frank.
The budget and research and the slow pace..
Not my thing.
Same thing for HOI III. :P

But Vicky 2, is my personal favorite.
And when the expansion came down, even better!
Let's hope EU IV gets better.
Belhorizon National News: BREAKING: Military Intervention declared in Frojo. More details here.

Official Website (Work in progress)

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:01 am

hardest nation to survive as?
I thought Bar, but maybe not... :p
Epirus? Naples has cores on it and such.
Ostro.MOV

Glasgia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Glasgia » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:02 am

I like the Mount and Blade Warband mod to their Brytenwalda game :p
Today's Featured Nation
Call me Glas, or Glasgia. Or just "mate".
Pal would work too.
Yeah, just call me whatever the fuck you want.

Market Socialist. Economic -8.12 Social -6.21
PRO: SNP, (Corbynite/Brownite/Footite) Labour Party, SSP, Sinn Féin, SDLP
ANTI: Blairite "New Labour", Tories, UKIP, DUP

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction