NATION

PASSWORD

The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Thoughts on the series finale of Korra?

Bad
7%
Mediocre
14%
Good
6%
Great
33%
Excellent
40%

Total votes : 70

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:02 am

Soxastan wrote:
New Embossia wrote:Looks amazing...I was so mad when the Last Airbender ended. CANT WAIT :D

It's so good that you had to say it twice.

But yes, Korra is going to be even better than ATLA because it has the feel down. ATLA was great, no question but the creators now know exactly how to make Korra.

Also, Tenzin is my favorite character.

My favorite part out of the first two episodes:

"DON'T YOU BRING MY MOTHER INTO THIS!"-Tenzin
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:09 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:Eh, its probably just to show the difference between Republic City and the rest of the nations. While the Nations still practice traditional bending probably, the City has to adapt to its urban, multicultural atmosphere with new styles of bending.

Yeah, but I'm still really hoping that Korra sticks to more traditional fighting styles outside of the Pro-bending arena.

I dunno, I want to see how this new bending style works out of the ring.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:12 am

Ceannairceach wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:
Yeah, but I'm still really hoping that Korra sticks to more traditional fighting styles outside of the Pro-bending arena.

I dunno, I want to see how this new bending style works out of the ring.

From what I've gathered, it's good for quick movements and attacks, so she could use it to make her Earthbending quicker and reduce the chances of her getting caught in a stance where she's locked up. Other than that I can't really think of any instance where it would give her a significant advantage.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:12 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:I dunno, I want to see how this new bending style works out of the ring.

From what I've gathered, it's good for quick movements and attacks, so she could use it to make her Earthbending quicker and reduce the chances of her getting caught in a stance where she's locked up. Other than that I can't really think of any instance where it would give her a significant advantage.

Probably not causing public destruction and mayhem, as we saw when she bended in the city streets. :p

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:14 am

Ceannairceach wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:From what I've gathered, it's good for quick movements and attacks, so she could use it to make her Earthbending quicker and reduce the chances of her getting caught in a stance where she's locked up. Other than that I can't really think of any instance where it would give her a significant advantage.

Probably not causing public destruction and mayhem, as we saw when she bended in the city streets. :p

Well I was expecting her Airbending training to reduce the destruction. I guess you're right about that as well though. :lol:

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:25 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:Probably not causing public destruction and mayhem, as we saw when she bended in the city streets. :p

Well I was expecting her Airbending training to reduce the destruction. I guess you're right about that as well though. :lol:

Probably just spending more time in such an urban environment should help.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:26 am

Genivaria wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Well I was expecting her Airbending training to reduce the destruction. I guess you're right about that as well though. :lol:

Probably just spending more time in such an urban environment should help.

True. I mean Team Avatar didn't destroy that much while they were in Ba Sing Se, not that it was enormously "urban" by today's standards.
Last edited by Mavorpen on Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:29 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Probably just spending more time in such an urban environment should help.

True. I mean Team Avatar didn't destroy that much while they were in Ba Sing Se, not that it was enormously "urban" by today's standards.

Republic City is certainly far more modern and urban then any other city we've seen previously.
I was shocked when I saw streets and CARS everywhere. To quote the wiki:
A modern urban center, it has significant high-rise development, notable technological advancements, and use of automobiles, motorcycles, and airships widespread.[3]

Those 2 episodes have set my imagination running wild.
The Benders of the world enter, the space age!
Last edited by Genivaria on Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:30 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Probably just spending more time in such an urban environment should help.

Well, that's because they didn't fight much in the city. But oh, when they did... Toph punching a whole in the wall, assaulting the Earth Palace...

@}-;-'---

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:33 am

Genivaria wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:True. I mean Team Avatar didn't destroy that much while they were in Ba Sing Se, not that it was enormously "urban" by today's standards.

Republic City is certainly far more modern and urban then any other city we've seen previously.
A modern urban center, it has significant high-rise development, notable technological advancements, and use of automobiles, motorcycles, and airships widespread.[3]

I wasn't shocked that there were cars, just that they were extremely common. After all, we saw some "advanced" technology in the first show, but they were only available to specific groups of people (usually in the fire kingdom). This leads me to think that the fire kingdom probably contributed more to the technological advances than any of the other kingdoms.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:34 am

Ceannairceach wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:True. I mean Team Avatar didn't destroy that much while they were in Ba Sing Se, not that it was enormously "urban" by today's standards.

Well, that's because they didn't fight much in the city. But oh, when they did... Toph punching a whole in the wall, assaulting the Earth Palace...

True. I don't really think that the city will come unscathed either way though.

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:35 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Republic City is certainly far more modern and urban then any other city we've seen previously.

I wasn't shocked that there were cars, just that they were extremely common. After all, we saw some "advanced" technology in the first show, but they were only available to specific groups of people (usually in the fire kingdom). This leads me to think that the fire kingdom probably contributed more to the technological advances than any of the other kingdoms.

Probably. The Fire Nation was heavily steampunk even in the original series, so they probably utilized this technology, in unison with other inventors such as that dude hiding in one of the Air Temples, to make what we now see in Republic City.

@}-;-'---

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:36 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:Well, that's because they didn't fight much in the city. But oh, when they did... Toph punching a whole in the wall, assaulting the Earth Palace...

True. I don't really think that the city will come unscathed either way though.

Probably not. I think that she'll stick to the pro-bending style when in most confrontations, and only unleash the obviously stronger traditional bending when things look grim and/or when she is outnumber or not so worried about casualties or damage.

@}-;-'---

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:42 am

Ceannairceach wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:I wasn't shocked that there were cars, just that they were extremely common. After all, we saw some "advanced" technology in the first show, but they were only available to specific groups of people (usually in the fire kingdom). This leads me to think that the fire kingdom probably contributed more to the technological advances than any of the other kingdoms.

Probably. The Fire Nation was heavily steampunk even in the original series, so they probably utilized this technology, in unison with other inventors such as that dude hiding in one of the Air Temples, to make what we now see in Republic City.

When I think about it, this could be a source of prejudice the Equalists. Maybe they see how society progressed, not through bending, but through the technological knowledge of people who weren't necessarily benders. They might also see the benders as a threat to the advances that they've made. They probably think, "Look at what we've accomplished, we don't need benders."

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:56 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:Probably. The Fire Nation was heavily steampunk even in the original series, so they probably utilized this technology, in unison with other inventors such as that dude hiding in one of the Air Temples, to make what we now see in Republic City.

When I think about it, this could be a source of prejudice the Equalists. Maybe they see how society progressed, not through bending, but through the technological knowledge of people who weren't necessarily benders. They might also see the benders as a threat to the advances that they've made. They probably think, "Look at what we've accomplished, we don't need benders."

Makes me wonder how many benders helped construct their precious city.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:57 am

Genivaria wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:When I think about it, this could be a source of prejudice the Equalists. Maybe they see how society progressed, not through bending, but through the technological knowledge of people who weren't necessarily benders. They might also see the benders as a threat to the advances that they've made. They probably think, "Look at what we've accomplished, we don't need benders."

Makes me wonder how many benders helped construct their precious city.

Probably quite a lot, since Aang actually came up with the idea for the city in the first place and intended for benders to live with non-benders.

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:25 am

Cool. Cool cool cool.
"Then I was fertilized and grew wise;
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a work to a work I was led to a work."
- Odin, Hávamál 138-141, the Poetic Edda, as translated by Dan McCoy.

I enjoy meta-humor and self-deprecation. Annoying, right?

Goodbye.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:48 am

Nationstatelandsville wrote:Cool. Cool cool cool.

Needs more cools in there.

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:51 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Nationstatelandsville wrote:Cool. Cool cool cool.

It only gets four cools. It lacks a giant sloth bear beaver thing.
"Then I was fertilized and grew wise;
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a work to a work I was led to a work."
- Odin, Hávamál 138-141, the Poetic Edda, as translated by Dan McCoy.

I enjoy meta-humor and self-deprecation. Annoying, right?

Goodbye.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:52 am

Nationstatelandsville wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:

I'm sure it'll turn up eventually, although I'm not sure that they cross three species together, only two. :unsure:

Nude East Ireland
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nude East Ireland » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:16 pm

Mavorpen wrote:

Are you kidding? I love the show.

Besides, Equalists are badass.
Part One of the Incredible, Invincible Team Dai-Zarkeland!

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:27 pm

Nude East Ireland wrote:

Are you kidding? I love the show.

They're jealous they can't bend. :p

Vitius
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Vitius » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:57 pm

They called a pro-bender team the ferrets >_>

King Kuei's bear was funny, but NO MORE PLAIN ANIMALS :(
Last edited by Vitius on Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bambi Praxis wrote:
4years wrote:Hitler was worse, but I hate stalin more.

Maintain the rage! Spell the bastard's name without a capital letter, that will settle the score!
Proud Reform Jew

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:58 pm

Vitius wrote:They called a pro-bender team the ferrets >_>

King Kuei's bear was funny, but NO MORE PLAIN ANIMALS :(

I didn't realize that. :blink:

Soxastan
Powerbroker

Founded: May 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Soxastan » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:00 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Nude East Ireland wrote:Are you kidding? I love the show.

They're jealous they can't bend. :p

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction