NATION

PASSWORD

Short Story Contest (Spring 2012) Winners Announced!

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:35 pm

ASSUMING CONTROL OF THIS THREAD.

Occupied Deutschland wrote:I'm sure the formatting on this is gonna be horrendous but...
Could this bastard take any longer to make up his mind, Jee-sus!

Anna shifted her weight again and tapped one foot against the linoleum floor of the coffee shop. Some kooky-ass Oriental music was lightly thrumming through a number of speakers spaced throughout the shop, but the supposedly calming nature of the music was anything but at the moment.

“What about a Frappe Whip, what’s that?”

For fuck’s sake man…

Anna blew some air up from her lower lip, sending a stray lock of coal-black hair swinging out of the way of her eye to a new position on her cheekbone.

“So how is that different from the Mocha Frappe Freeze?”

To hell with this…

Anna put her hand on the chubby man’s shoulder and gently but forcefully pushed him aside to the right of the line. He let out a brief gasp, surprised, but then seemed to recover and glanced at the other people in the line for support, which was not forthcoming. Assholes rarely got support.

“Large coffee. Black. No cream. No sugar.”

The man behind the counter nodded quickly and stabbed the buttons on his register, not even sparing a glance at the fat man who had been ordering.

He understands at least…

“Excuse me! I was ordering!”

The fat bastard had brought his hands to the height of his shoulders, palm-out, somehow trying to look dangerous over the reality of his uselessness.

“No, you were trying to figure out what everything on the menu was made of, and in the process delaying a lot of very thirsty people you fat bastard.” Anna didn’t even look at him, instead simply shifting steel-blue eyes to the readout on the register. She of course knew how much the coffee was, and she was digging in the pocket of her pants for the $1.12 she had counted out before she had gotten into line, but looking at the register let her avoid looking at the worthless fat-ass complaining at her side.

Apparently silenced for the moment, the fat-man didn’t say anything as Anna dropped the money on the counter and the fellow at the till handed her her coffee. She started to turn to the left to go to her table but stopped just as she began the motion. Stepping coldly to the side she forced the fat-man to back away further from the line as she dug in her pocket for a moment. The fat-man gasped in protest again but didn’t say anything else.
Finding what she was looking for Anna pulled the pair of quarters out and dropped them into the glass “Tips” jar and winked icily at the fellow who had brought her the coffee she now held in her hand. She paused just long enough for the next person in line to step forward and order, then pivoted completely around on her heel and walked away from the fat-man.

That’s for not knowing what the hell you’re doing asshole…

The line in the coffee shop hadn’t gotten any shorter while the fat-man had been ordering and it now stretched out onto the busy New York sidewalk outside. It parted quickly for her though as she made her way to the table she had left her coat at.
When she got to her table Anna set the coffee down then dropped herself into the chair, having to spin completely around as she fell in order to land comfortably on her butt. The line had already gotten shorter and it looked like the fat man had left.

Bout time too…

Anna shifted her weight slightly against the chair and then, in one smooth movement, snatched the coffee cup off the table with her right hand and raised her opposite leg off the floor and onto the table so that the crook of her knee was resting on the corner of the table. Her foot and the bottom portion of her calves were floating in the air just off the table, frozen against the backdrop of a line of people slowly making their orders.

The clerk gave her a sideways glance from his till, but quickly had to go back to taking orders and serving customers. Fuck him, he understands…but only because it’s his job to. Anna raised the coffee cup to her lips and took a detached sip, the coffee was scalding hot, but she forced it down anyhow. Metallic eyes staring into the cold blast from the A/C vent just above her table, she waited. Better show up soon.

The first thing to register was the myriad sounds coming from just outside the coffee shop. The staggered footfalls of an army of pedestrians on the sidewalk created a cacophonous symphony that was just loud enough to drown out the specifics of the conversations they were having and leave only the mutter of their collective voices behind. The muttering voices were just loud enough to drown out most of the car-horns that blared their metallic tones, warning the careless to get out of the way or face a collision. The muted conversations of the pedestrians only seemed to emphasize the fake-warmth behind their originators. They act considerate…caring…civilized…

They’re all lying…

Over the mutter of the pedestrians outside the coffee shop were the more distinct voices of those inside. People going about their daily business who just happened to stop in the shop for a brief break from the normal routine. Either that or the shop had become one of their routines.

Anna took another sip from her coffee, which was already beginning to cool in her hands. She could never get as much satisfaction from a luke-warm coffee as she could from one that was scorching hot, they always cooled off too quickly.

“Well you look relaxed Anna.”

Anna shifted her gaze off of the A/C vent and lowered her eyes to the man in front of her. Precisely the man she had been waiting for.

“I am. Disregarding a slight incident a few moments ago at least…” Anna trailed off.

“You mean the fat man?” he said.

Anna tilted her head until she could look straight into Jonathon’s eyes. “You saw that, huh?”

Jonathon was silent for the moment, instead pulling the other chair at the table back and slowly lowering himself into it. The chair whined in protest at the bulk of human tissue that rested on it now. When he had sat down he also put a small glass down, filled with ice and some soda pop or another. “I was standing in line behind you. You went right by me after you dropped those quarters into the tip jar, didn’t you even see me?”

Anna shrugged reflexively “Had a lot on my mind Jon.”

Jonathon snorted and raised his glass to his lips. When he swallowed the muscles on his neck bulged and threatened to burst the straining collar of his shirt. “What, your next fix of coffee? Or were you perhaps reveling in giving that poor fat-ass a stern dressing down?” For Fuck’s sake man…

Anna’s eyes unconsciously returned to the A/C duct, she had just started to open her mouth to answer when she was interrupted by a light chuckle from the other side of the table. “Don’t try to deny it Anna, I can see you did.” He snorted again “Hell, if you’d thrown in a few more cuss-words in between your syllables It almost would’ve been worthy of one of my Drill Sergeants at Parris Island.”

“Almost worthy? I’ll have to do better next time.” Anna reflexively began to move her coffee cup in a slow circular motion, trying to figure out a way to escape the small-talk bullshit Jonathon had trapped her in. If there were a purpose in the conversation she could at least work towards that, it gave her something to focus on doing. As it was though she was caught in pleasantries that had no importance to her, or Jon, he was just continuing them because it was the polite thing to do. She was likewise forced to listen because it was the polite thing to do. What benefits sophistication and polite society had!

“You will if you wanna be in the Marines that’s for sure.” Jon said offhandedly.

The air around the table seemed to cool with that statement, the A/C kicking into high gear to combat the humid heat that had leaked into the shop while the doors had been open. Anna once again targeted her eyes on Jonathon instead of the air duct above her, but he didn’t seem to notice the cold, instead deciding to focus on what she was drinking.

“How can you manage to drink a hot coffee in this weather?” he said, seemingly oblivious to the cold.

The attempt at small-talk did nothing to combat the chill Anna felt, only serving to aggravate her. She hated small talk. “It warms me up, alright.”

Jonathon was silent for a moment and took another slow sip from his glass. “Alright, alright. Anyhow, it’s good to see you again. It’s been what? A year now? What’s up with Anna these days?"

To hell with this…

“Your fucking Corps, that’s what’s up Jon. Up on some god-damned high-horse preaching about their god-damned ideals and how the god-damned sinners in this country are unable to meet them. Their heads are what’s up Jon. Up their worthless fat-asses so far they can’t breath, let alone see.” Anna took a deep breath, but continued on. “At the same time though-oh somehow at the same time- their heads are up in the sky so far they can see down on this world and all the people in it and can see the problems us mere mortals have, and can pronounce us the ones with the god-damned problems. God-Damnit.” Anna set the coffee cup down on the table to emphasize her point but otherwise remained frozen in the same position she had been in. Throughout the diatribe she kept the same conversational tone she had had earlier, her voice icing over anything she felt. Whatever she may have felt iced over as well. No one in the café but Jonathon overheard her.

It was Jonathon’s turn not to respond. He hesitantly pushed his glass forward with his index finger, only to pull it away and allow the glass to drop back to its original position. The ice shifted to clank against the glass, protesting its entrapment by uselessly throwing itself against the side. Unable to do anything about its situation but what gravity made it do.

“Your …record?”

“Your record? Your record?” Anna shot back, crossing her arms and leaning back slightly in her chair until the front-feet hovered above the floor “Why don’t you call it what it fucking is, my ‘prior drug usage’.”
The A/C chose that moment to click off and her last few words were just loud enough to be heard over the other noises in the coffee shop. The other conversation died almost immediately, leaving only the impersonal muttering of passers-by and the honking of horns.

“Jesus Anna, why don’t you fuckin’ tell the world?”

It was the wrong response.

Anna dropped her leg off the table and leaned forward, the chair legs making a thunder-like clap as they contacted the floor. Unsatisfied with just the sound of the chair for attention, she threw her arms out to her sides. She was either getting funny looks from the other patrons, or they were trying to avoid noticing her in any way.

Let’s see them avoid noticing this…

“Ladies and Gentlemen, for your information I snorted crystal meth.” Once again her voice remained level. She had gotten louder so everyone could hear her, but that same cool detachment was in her voice. “And I enjoyed it.” Her voice finally changed, no longer conversational it had simply hardened. There was no malice or challenge in the phrase, only the stone-cold revealing of a fact.

“Jesus Christ Anna, pick up your damned coffee, we’re leaving.” Jonathon stood, draining what was left of the soda in his glass and waving his other hand at the door.

Anna didn’t move except to slowly grin at Jonathon, her eyes frozen on his, challenging. “What’s the matter Jon? Ashamed? Worried people will know you hang around with some ex-speed freak and word’ll get up your precious chain of command?” With every word she shifted her arms slightly until her hands were upturned “What would the Head of the Joint Chiefs think?” she asked rhetorically, her head rising slightly and her voice taking on the reverent tone of a priest speaking about his god.

Jon pushed his chair in and leaned forward against it, returning Anna’s stare. For a moment, they stayed like that, neither one willing to give ground. Jon looked away first.

“Miss, I’m sorry to ask you this but you’ll have to leave.”

Anna continued staring at Jonathon for a moment longer, but slowly shifted her gaze to the cashier. At some point he had walked over to the side of the table and now stood, smiling naively, at the two patrons. Anna breathed deeply, and finally allowed her arms to slowly drop to her sides. At the same instant her head dropped as well, and for a moment she seemed to be shaking. She was shaking as if she were cold.
And just like that, the moment passed and she threw herself to her feet.

“Yeah yeah. You do what ya’ gotta do man.” She snatched her coffee cup up and walked off, a glacier retreating from the heat of the sun. Jonathon followed close behind her, offering an apologetic wave to the cashier and, by extension, the rest of the coffee shop.

Outside the coffee shop the noise was much greater than it had been inside. The shop, as poorly sound-proofed as it was, at least gave them the feeling of being apart from the noise. Now, they were adrift in a sea of bodies, following the crowd more than any specific plan or destination they held.

Anna was quiet as she walked, seemingly without aim. She stopped at one cross-walk just to ignore it and cross one that had opened up. The direction of the other people seemed to be directing her more than she was, and Jonathon followed along right behind her, waiting for her to speak.

Abruptly she shifted her direction mid-stride and went into an alleyway, in the process walking through a crowd of people that were going the opposite direction, which they were none too shameful about making vehemently known.
Anna and Jonathon ignored them. Anna instead responded by draining all that was left of her coffee in a series of swallows and flipping the cup into a nearby dumpster, which was overflowing with garbage already. Somehow the cup managed to land in a small recess between trash bags and didn’t come tumbling out. “Just like life.” Anna muttered to herself, crossing her arms once more. She began to lean back onto the building behind her but thought better of it, instead simply standing there as Jonathon rested his back on the building on his side of the alley.

“You have fun back there Anna?”

She didn’t respond, instead staring out towards the street and the people moving on the sidewalk. Staring past them all her eyes seemed focused on the sunlight hitting the pavement, then slowly tracked their way closer and closer to her feet until she was focused on the shadow of the building behind her. Shifting her weight, she tugged at her collar with the hand that was closest, and then went back to staring. “Jon…listen, I didn’t call you here just to bad-mouth you or your Corps…” The statement seemed to make her very uncomfortable.

“That an apology?”

Anna’s eyes snapped to Jon as if he had just insulted her. “I didn’t say I was sorry you leather-necked son of a bitch.” She laughed lightly and the ghost of a smirk even danced on her lips, “I said I didn’t just meet you to do it. If I apologized for saying what I did, it would suggest I didn’t mean it.” She finally smiled, a full-on no holds barred smile, it lost its pizzas as she continued though. “But, I know how anal-compulsive about your Corps you bastards are…” The smile flickered, and the brief flame it had displayed withered away and died, leaving only a cold shadow of itself behind.

Jonathon Winters resisted the urge to smile. Instead, he put a healthy dose of sympathy into his voice. “Anna, you didn’t want to join the Corps anyways.”

Anna stared at him. Then, with a speed that surprised even him she crossed the slight distance between them and slapped him. Not a playful slap, but no-holds barred SLAP that jerked his head to the side and left his cheek crying out in pain. “Why the hell would you think that?” the words were hardly understandable, spoken through clenched teeth as they were. But Jon got the message. “I spent the last two years pining after the recruiter trying to get the paperwork for early enlistment. That has been my life Jon. Then, after they accept me and I’m finally going through boot-camp…My drug use magically comes out of sealed goddamn files!” Jon shifted slightly, hearing the dark subtext of Anna’s words and the accusation they contained, but he stopped himself. She was just desperate right now; she wanted to blame someone else.

And rightly so. His conscience told him. Jon quashed it; after all, this was for her own good.

Anna continued, oblivious to Jon’s inner turmoil. “It was probably my father.” Once again her anger had dissipated and she had returned to being the innocent young girl Jon had always seen her as, and that young innocent girl needed some protection. After all, she had been through enough already. Jon carefully spoke again, “Anna, you didn’t need to do all that.”

Again, the comment did more harm than good. “What the hell was I supposed to do Jon? Run back to daddy and beg him to take me back and promise to be a good little girl? Would that have been better?” She paused and kicked a soda can someone had carelessly thrown into the alley, and her voice grew quiet again. “Or should I have given up and gone to flip burgers until I relapsed and went and bought-” She stopped, seeming to realize what she was about to say and unable to finish the words.

“Bye Jon, it was good seeing you again.” She said over her shoulder as she turned and started to walk out of the alley. The move was abrupt and caught Jon so off-guard it took him a moment to respond.

“Anna.”

She turned.

“Semper fi.” Jon offered his hand and an insincere smile. As angry or hurt as she might be, this was for the best. The best for her, for him, for her father, for the Corps, for everyone. This was for the best. Anna looked at his hand for a moment as if it were an outstretched snake. Then the same grin came over her face she had had moments before. Wide and warm, it was a smile that was on her face far too little.

“Do or die, right Jon?” She turned back around and walked out of the alley.

Jon didn’t know how to respond. He’d worked out every detail of her dismissal, ensured the proper authorities asked the proper questions and got the proper paperwork. Checked every stage of the investigation as it went through. Hell, he’d even convinced her recruiter to testify about her “forged” criminal record.

“Anna!” Jon called out, beginning to follow her. But he stopped after he had said it. She had already disappeared into the New York City crowds. The alleyway seemed like such a rotten place to be at that moment.

Damnit he had been looking out for her, he had been protecting her! He had been making sure she was safe!

He had been betraying her.

Characters - 19/25
Very little context on the characters; should put more history or give more details into what happened in the past. Great details into one character, but lacks on the other character, which is important on this specific story since the other character is a main character. Good description of movements.

I think Anna is great character, but because of the lack of character developments, I will have to give you a low score.

Plot - 9/25
There was a lack of introduction in this story. Context is required if you want your readers to know just what's going on. Because of this, it gets a wee bit confusing if you don't have context. It seems more suited to a larger novel than a short story. There's a cliffhanger at the end as well. Boring climax, if any, and the whole thing looks like flat-line of exposition. Good dialogues however.

Some problems I noticed is, what's up with her father? Just what went down during her recruitment? What were her motivations for being in the corps? The story, I feel, did not go through enough details to satisfy me.

Setting - 13/15
Good local color, great details given to every nook and cranny of the coffee shop.

Creativity - 5/15
Severe lack of plot development hinders the creative potential of this story. Points for the details you put in it though.

Style - 10/15
Personally, I don't like how there's too much details into every little thing because this is a short story. It doesn't move the plot at all. Were this a part of a bigger work, it would suit it well.

Grammar/spelling - 4/5
Some awkward choice of words.

Overall - 60/100
Looks more like a part of a bigger work, as I've said before. It is not a good short story on its own.
Last edited by Norstal on Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:05 pm

Jenrak wrote:My submission.

An Open Letter to Sudentor Publishers,

I grew up in a small meadowy place called Riverbrook, where we had a sort of quaint and Constable feel to it, with a small running river that cut through the center of the town. Now, we call it a town, but it was more of a hamlet, really, and there wasn’t a sort of self-containment that we could really say belonged to a town; we walked or rode to New Albert just over the bends to get most of our supplies for hunting and fishing and farming, but we had a greengrocer’s and a small shop that came now and then, though as I got older they came much, much less often.

The winters were terrible things. They were complete horrid monstrosities that gave a short of chilling gleam and gloom that froze all of Riverbrook and cast the place is a sort of dreary presence of the forested glens that were just past the way to New Albert. One of my friends, a certain animated Lawrence Talbot had the idea to ride down the frozen river as if it were like a slide. Of course, as we never really wanted to get caught in the river’s strong currents, we never allowed ourselves to see what was at the end of the currents.

So, with his toboggan, we convinced me like the young, foolish twat I was to join him in this running slide down the river, rushing all the way down to a steep and curved embankment with a tall and imposing tree, hitting us on the way, knocking both Lawrence and myself out cold and smashing his toboggan.

When we awoke, the crunching of snow was heard as we were being slowly pulled away in old Mark Jenson’s cart, the smell of urine and feces still strong back here. Of course, we did not have a choice, and Lawrence had a particularly nasty gash on his cheek leading down to his chin that was very hastily and poorly stitched, but still bleeding enough to look frighteningly intimidating.

I began with the accident of Lawrence Talbot and myself because I believe that was the first time I became exposed – though indirectly so – to the most important person in my life. I cannot sufficiently say with great certainty that this was the first time that she came into my life and affected it so, and the event had a certain difference in meaning for Lawrence than I. But for me, that was the closest to an origins of the meeting.

I am sending this message because of a recent publisher’s mistake on the author’s decision to interview information on me while I was off in Laarsgard and without communication. They had the brash and bold decision to ask my wife, and though I love her dearly, I cannot say with clarity and certainty of thought that she knew me well enough or was so unbiased. Truly, because those three pages of Walking on Thin Ice: The Life of Lord Patterson kept me up all night the moment I read it to the extent that I wished – and certainly have done now – sent a piece of my thoughts to the editor of the biography.

Certainly, I have read the majority of the work in the book, and I can agree with to those, even if I could be considered to be an “affable twat with a twist of military man in his blood yet all too frightened to fight” (Lewis 64). I cannot disagree with that, and the War was certainly far too viciously barbaric and gruesome for me to suspect.

But the most important person in my life? It was not my wife. It was not my father, or my mother, my friend Lawrence Talbot (may he rest in peace, that dear man), or anybody of that sort. None have reverberated with me so strongly, so uncontested!, even, as that of an old woman by the name of Amelia Wretch.

Her name, of course, was not ‘Wretch’ – we didn’t know, and we never bothered to know. She lived alone by the wayside of the banks on the edge of the riverway, just past the large trees leading to the glens beyond the town. Her house was a terribly old and decrepit thing, standing like a dainty and yet feeble old woman, creaking loudly in pain beneath ever-gloom and black clouds. Amelia was of the sort where she looked like what she owned – old, decrepit, and feeble. She leaned on one stick and snarled, and occasionally she would slowly emerge from that dark, dust-filled and musty home of hers to get the mail, before retreating into the safety of her black fortress.

Like some sort of old strip, the house was old but large, and it loomed like an ancient castle over a tiny, sleepy and unsuspecting hamlet. Growing up, the adults of Riverbrook had told us stories of whispers in the night at the old Wretch mansion, of a howling and a bawling and a shrieking noise that seemed so unheard and unimaginable. In the dark of night, on full moons, we can hear the lonely cries of a feeble old thing from its boarded windows, and for a small little period, I had felt a sort of mercy for old Amelia.

But, even young, I grew untrusting, as the town was cast in a frightful shadow of the Wretch mansion. Every year, a small group of jippos came from the west, just over the hills from New Albert, peddling their wares. We tolerated them their terrible stench, filthy actions, their dirty feces-covered boots stamping everywhere, and unnatural language, as they only came once a year. They sold small assortment of exotic spices and a tiny bit of trifle jewellery, and every single year they would slowly send someone up to the very haunting, creeping doors of the Wretch mansion with a small box of their finest wares.

I remember one day when I was around six or seven, an old and skeletal finger gaunt in deep shadows and wrapped in twined and needles emerged from the darkness of the doors of the mansion, and a small jippo girl walked into the doors and was never seen again. I had never truly believed that Amelia was anything but a lonely woman, crying out for some long lost love, but every full moon I could scarcely think anything but what was likely the source of those hellish siren calls. And I, over time, grew increasingly frightened of the Wretch mansion and the eyes that peered out at the town through boarded windows.

One year was a particularly frightening year for us. Viola, a girl that every young boy (including myself) pined for had emerged from her father’s barn, shrieking and crying with tears running down her face, cold and terrible and her hands clasping at her hair. She babbled with an indecipherable shutter, bursting into the community hall in a torn dress and a bruises down her legs.

“That fiend! That fiend!”, she yelled, shaking and quivering as the sheriff placed a blanket over her body and calmed her down, “H-He...He lured me into the barn, and...”

The sheriff, Nigel Talbot, had loose lips. It wasn’t long before Lawrence, growing into a fine young man, had heard that night of the terrible things that had befallen Viola at the hands of a young jippo man, who came to with his family and had with his pretty face and alluring accent had ensnared Viola and had his way with her in the barn.

I remember the first person Lawrence had gone to when he heard the news was me. He had told this story with such a fury in his eyes. At that age, his voice was already deep and his figure large and I was growing into a larger man myself. Together, we thought we could take on this vile man. With a lantern and a bat, we rushed under the dark of night back to the old brook that lead to the river, and looked at the large wagon that was their home. A flicker of dancing light from the windows were there, and the two of us ran to the windows, hit the sides, and threw our lantern into the room.

With a jolt and a rush, we ran off into the night, the pyre in the cold forests lit brightly as the flames guided our path back home. We heard no screams nor trails, and Nigel never really looked past the event other than an ‘accident’. The next week, when I saw Amelia emerge from her home in her homemade coats and quilts she had stitched together to get the mail, her face in a twisted fury.

A year later, in a drunken daze, Viola had brazenly and boldly bespoke to us that she had made it all up, as the young man had resisted her advances and she could not bear such a man getting away. Lawrence and I had felt terrible, but memories were things in the heat of the moment.

The election of Nicholas Lamorte was not something we really resonated with at the beginning. None of the townsfolk in Riverbrook had any sort of consideration or thought about who Lamorte was, safe for the fact that he had changed some of the policies that his predecessor did. By now, Lawrence and I were already in our twenties, and Miss Amelia continued to haunt us still in that dreary and dooming house of hers. The fears never really died within us.

But what did make us feel better was the wave of soldiers that would regularly come in, and as they did so, we saw less and less of the jippos that came to sell their wares. “They must be rounded and sent to the Capitol!” The soldiers would yell when they would see the wagon-load of people who would come to sell their goods, marshalling them off into the darkness. “They are a blight upon our country!”

Lawrence, with his mind so quick to forget Viola’s drunken utterances, had openly pined to become a soldier like those who walked through the town every few weeks on their way to something more important. “It is the highest justice”, he would argue with me, his eyes bright on the rifles and the medals and the marching and the whole romantic stoicism that had enthralled him to such a glory.

I had no such thoughts, but I respect his dreams. Shortly after our last talk in the late of December, Lawrence cut his hair, tattooed Lamorte’s “For the Country” onto his arm, and joined the army. I scarcely saw him after that, as he was never stationed near Riverbrook.

The next time I saw Lawrence was the time I met my first real love, a jippo girl who had come by the name of Sarah. The visits became less often coming to Riverbrook, as the scar of Viola was still fresh in the minds of the people and the soldiers were quick to scoop them up in the trucks and whisk them away in the night. This one week they had come early in the morning as I was finishing fixing up one of the wheels on the carriages from New Albert. At first, I was apprehensive, for I did not see them over the hills before I heard them, and had thought that it was another recruiting drive. The war had grown worse, and men were enlisting up in droves to protect the Capitol. Lawrence himself had sent back letters of a sordid sort, telling of the horrors he faced in the rubble of our homeland’s greatest.

Rather, I was surprised to see the light of a woman – a beautiful woman – who did not do or say much other than smile to me. With foolish grins I would smile back, and in that brief moment, I had known I fell in love. It wasn’t subtle or slow, nor was it something that I could scarcely say was washed with a great feeling upon me. No, it just hit me hard and fast, and that night, I had asked her if she wished to stay with me to watch the stars under a clear moon night. She said yes. Her family, though distasteful of my request, had decided to give way, as they said they had planned to stay on the edges of Riverbrook for the week.

Her name was Eleanor, and she was my first love. She had intense, chestnut eyes and a radiant smile that none could have matched. She had long flowing hair tied back into a beautiful bun and her hands were dainty things that were dirtied through years of hard work and travel. There were some lines on her face that made her seem older than her years, yet I did not care about that. She was beautiful me, strikingly so.

Lawrence returned to Riverbrook two days after I met Eleanor, his face more tired than I had ever seen him. At first, I had thought he would do his soldier’s duty and take her away to the Capitol, but when he had found out that afternoon of my love of Eleanor he shook his head at disappointment at me. “You shouldn’t worry about that.” He would flash a bright grin, his hair slicked back with that old toboggan scar still not faded on his cheek. “Rather, I’m more angry you Daniel for not telling me you fell in love. Congratulations to you!” He said, before telling me he needed to talk to me.

That night, we sat with rum in our glasses under a cold, large moon. The cries of Amelia were heart, but fainter now. She did not speak as much, and scarce came out. I had all but forgotten about Amelia as I grew older, no longer caring yet still scared of her in the Wretch mansion.

“Are you sure this is what you want to do?” Lawrence asked me, taking a swig. “She’s...going to leave. You may never see her again.”

“I know. I’m going with her.” I told him. Lawrence had a look of shock on his face at first, but his eyes had softened since I last saw him. He had no more fire in his soul of that sort.

“I can’t say anything to convince you otherwise?”

“Not that I know of.”

“Okay.” He held his hand out. “Godspeed to you.”

We shook hands and drank.

Early that morning, I had wanted to talk to her, but apparently the carriage was gone. Running back to Lawrence’s house, he and I took the horses to the paths that the wagons had gone, and rushing through Riverbrook’s pathways down the river, but we never found her.

However, from the Wretch mansion, dirty boot prints leading up to the creaky front door were seen, and Lawrence and I could only scarcely wonder what could have happened. A rage built up inside of me, followed by a fear. A very, very damning fear. A different sort of fear. Not one of trepidation, but a fear of concern. Without reason, yet with all the reason I could muster in the world, I blamed Amelia that day for taking Eleanor away from me.

And she did.

I write this to you, editor of Sudentor Publishers, because Amelia Wretch’s shadow – as frightening as they were – became the most influential thing in my life. Amelia became the most influential person in my life. The feeble woman, who lived so long and caused so much fear to boil within me died shortly after, and the Wretch mansion had begun to fall into disrepair.

I returned after a brief command and career in the waning days of the War, following Lawrence to defend the Capitol to no avail. When we returned back home, Riverbrook had changed and became a small assortment of dying homesteads, with only the large brooding mansion on the banks overlooking us all. It was a quaint, yet fitting image: the husk of a castle watching faithfully the husk of a hamlet.

That night, I crept past the old metal gates of the mansion, and threw a cocktail into the house. Lawrence had no part in it, but he stood and watched, the two of us standing in the forests just a bit away from the house, looking at the pyre. Nobody came to the Wretch mansion, and I could have scarcely wondered what ever happened to all those women that Amelia had taken into the blackness of her home.

I did not know myself that Amelia had so changed my life until a few years later, when I fell in love with Lady Katrina and had an invitation to a sort of meeting of the people who had lost or been lost. Lawrence called me up that night, and asked if we should go. “Sure”, I had said, and so we went.

When we arrived, there was the usual soiree of soldiers we had fought alongside, but there was also a smaller group of people who we had wronged. We did not call them jippos anymore. Nobody did, after what Lamorte did to them. Nobody called them anything but people.

But one of them had a striking familiarity. It was Eleanor. She spoke the language now, much better than even I. She was schoolteacher now. The wounds were hard and long to heal, but they healed. I asked her where she went that day outside the hall, talking privately.

She told me ran to the Wretch mansion, to Amelia. She told me they knew of Riverbrook. She knew what was going on in the Capitol. And she knew that I loved her so much that she could not bear it. She left that day, willingly, because it was the right thing to her to do. “I chose that night, to run to the safe house,” she told me, “as so many others before me had chosen to do.”

Sincerely,
Daniel Patterson,
Lord of High County.

Characters - 25/25

I wish I can make good characters like you.

Plot - 24/25
Wonderfully, fantastic plot. Kept me in suspense. Great context, great everything really. I just have a bit of trouble tying the first part into the other parts of the stories, but that's no biggie.

Setting - 15/15
Good work putting the details onto everything.

Creativity - 15/15
I thought Lawrence Talbot was a reference to Larry Talbot.

Other than that, very creative.

Style - 15/15
No problems here.

Grammar/spelling - 2/5
There were severe grammatical errors that break the flow of the story, but other than that it was good.

Overall - 96/100
Last edited by Norstal on Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:18 pm

Forsher wrote:I wasn't going to enter this, but I changed my minds. Be warned I wrote this three years ago. I'll do some editng (of the spelling) but there's a reason why I chose this text. I've never put it online so I think it wil qualify as new...

Tall and skinny that was Tea Pyd, a girl no more than thirteen years old. She had rough looking skin, short tawny brown hair, green tinged hazel eyes and a bony jaw. She disguised the jaw with a thick woollen scarf of turquoise colouration, hid her hair under a bandanna and covered her eyes with reflective sun glasses. Tea went to Yew College a large school for secondary students designed like a fortified town. Every student wore mufti and today Tea was clad in yellow socks, brown trousers, black shoes, a white skivvy and a jumper that proclaimed 'Haraald II'. It was made of black wool and cotton with the words in red cotton.

Next to Tea sat Rollo Masdin a dreadful cheat. Almost all the work Tea completed he copied out word for word in similar handwriting. His heart was truly stone. Sometimes he would be cunning like a fox and finish the last few words or sentences by himself and claim that Tea had copied him. He would normally play the trick when Tea was stuck on a difficult question or suffering from writer's block making it look like she was stumped without 'his' answers. This annoyed Tea who couldn't always complain that it was he who was cheating.

One day, not long after Tea's grandfather Lucas Pyd had given her a chest of antique draws, Tea wore a jumper that exclaimed, 'I'm a cheater and you're on a heater'. It was made by Harson Clothes, a brand notable for their horrible rhymes but exceedingly popular nonetheless. The first period of the day was English the only class where Tea sat next to anyone anymore. Belle Droggard was rushed to hospital five minutes in after sitting on a heater.

It was not until Tea got home that she realised what her jumper said, however, she didn't link it to Belle in any way other than coincidence. The next day she wore another jumper except it said 'Go to be bed you're a pain in his head.' Terrence O'Dil fell asleep during class and Rollo Masdin exclaimed, "Sir, Terrence is annoying me." As with before, Tea passed it off as coincidence.

On Friday, Tea took a jumper saying 'I just flew in from Texas, boy are my arms tired'. Once at school Madeline asked Tea a question. "Can I borrow your jumper?"

"Sure," Tea replied.

Madeline wore the jumper and was soon very sore in the arms department and plagued by questions about Texas. Neither were explainable as Madeline had no recollection of having visited Texas.

Once Tea got home she looked at her jumper and clicked. Her jumpers made things happen to the people wearing them or the people near them. The thought aroused Tea's curiosity so much that she rushed to the draws and pulled the first one over her head. What she didn't do was read the words: 'Warning. Explosive Chemicals.'

Belle, Terrence, Madeline and Rollo carried the coffin and Mr Kao performed the service. A minute's silence was observed through the school.

Characters - 1/25
Those were some of the most detestable characters I've ever seen.

Plot - 1/25
I don't know what the hell is going on. It does not follow any flow whatsoever. I see nothing but a jumbled mess.

Setting - 5/15
Well, at least you had one?

Creativity - 1/15
My creativity sensors just went apeshit on this one.

Style - 5/15
I don't understand.

Grammar/spelling - 4/5
Blerg.

Overall - 17/100
Well, that made me want to commit seppuku.
Last edited by Norstal on Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:26 pm

Amland wrote:Sort of
There lay the little girl, nicely tucked into her bed. Little Emily was a measly inch away from her mother, Caroline.
“Will you read me a bedtime story?” Emily said in her sweet little voice.
“Of course I will, sweetie pie! Here’s one that your grandmother used to read to me, back in the days.”
Emily was definitely excited to hear this story. She got comfy and waited for the words to come to her ears.
“Once upon a time, there was a little unicorn named Sparkles. She used to go around, helping people. One day, on a beautiful day,-“
“Wait,” interrupted Emily, “there’s something wrong about this story.”
“What seems to be the problem, my beauty?”
“Well,” she began, "beautiful days aren't real.”

Characters - 1/25
I've seen better characters from cereal boxes.

Plot - 1/25
Ahahah. Zzzzz.

Setting - 1/15
Setting? Where?

Creativity - 1/15
What is this I don't even

Style - 1/15
No. Just no.

Grammar/spelling - 5/5
Well, that's one way of getting a high score in this category.

Overall - 10/100

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:58 pm

Astrolinium wrote:https://www.box.com/s/81c12171fa12eb7a6b89

Euge!

Important Note:
It's pronounced "Peh-daw-full-ease" for our purposes.

Characters - 19/25
Colorful characters. Very absurd, which is good in a comedy. I find that the characters, however, a bit cliched. There's also not a lot of character development, but again, it's a comedy, so memorable characters are the last thing I expected out of this particular genre. I do feel that some characters were underplayed, not having their full potential.

Plot - 19/25
Again, a bit cliched here. Save the princess generic brand. The only thing that made me kept reading is the comedy. It only works when you know how plays work and if you can see it in your head. If I were to just read it off from a computer screen, it would not have its full effect.

Setting - 10/15
Well, it's a play. The setting is ultimately up to the the ones setting up the play.

Creativity - 13/15
Again, hilarious knowing the context. Lots of absurdities. Very cheeky. I did noticed that there weren't a lot of stage directions where there needs to be.

Style - 10/15
A bit over the top sometimes. Need to tone it down a little.

Grammar/spelling - 5/5

Overall - 76/100
Last edited by Norstal on Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:02 pm

Right then.

CM, add them up.
"Then I was fertilized and grew wise;
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a work to a work I was led to a work."
- Odin, Hávamál 138-141, the Poetic Edda, as translated by Dan McCoy.

I enjoy meta-humor and self-deprecation. Annoying, right?

Goodbye.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:08 pm

Alright, winners are in!

First place: Jenrak! (Quelle surprise)

Second place: Astrolinium, despite submitting a play to a short story contest. :p

Third place: Occupied Deutschland!

Congratulations to everyone! Feel free to claim your bragging rights at any time.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:14 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:Alright, winners are in!

First place: Jenrak! (Quelle surprise)

Second place: Astrolinium, despite submitting a play to a short story contest. :p

Third place: Occupied Deutschland!

Congratulations to everyone! Feel free to claim your bragging rights at any time.

Losers get eaten by the lions. Om nom nom nom.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:15 pm

Norstal wrote:Losers get eaten by the lions. Om nom nom nom.

Lions? Pff.

Everyone else, report to R'lyeh for dinner.

You're the main course.

What, you thought the rule about Cthulhu was for funsies?
Last edited by Conserative Morality on Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:01 am

Second place again?
I hope this isn't a tradition.
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:06 am

Astrolinium wrote:Second place again?
I hope this isn't a tradition.

If you want to break it I can help. As you can see I am fully qualified to ensure you don't come second. My stylistic tutelage is a guarantee that cannot be beaten.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Carbarosia
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Carbarosia » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:16 pm

When will the summer one be held?
equality and freedom for everyone. protect the environment.
fictional views held by the nation "carbarosia" may not reflect my own.

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:25 pm

Carbarosia wrote:When will the summer one be held?

July.

Goodbye.

Manahakatouki
Senator

Founded: Oct 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Manahakatouki » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:12 pm

Nationstatelandsville wrote:
Carbarosia wrote:When will the summer one be held?

July.

Plenty of time...

...to forget about it until two days before...
And so it was, that I had never changed.

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:14 pm

Manahakatouki wrote:
July.

Plenty of time...

I already know what I'm going to write, unless I change my mind. I just have to find time to write it.

Goodbye.

Manahakatouki
Senator

Founded: Oct 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Manahakatouki » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:16 pm

Manahakatouki wrote:
Plenty of time...

I already know what I'm going to write, unless I change my mind. I just have to find time to write it.

I've got some ideas...

But not sure if I can make them into a short story...

But good luck with yours though...
And so it was, that I had never changed.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction