NATION

PASSWORD

Hunger Games Vs Twilight

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Jolleus
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Jolleus » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:08 pm

I've never read Twilight. But judging by all of these "never read HG but I still think it sucks" people, maybe I should give Twilight a try. "Never read it but think it sucks" just might be the true connection between the two series'. And that's not acceptable.
Proud creator of the Tiger Pit RP franchise.
Tiger Pit Arena
Tiger Pit: New Blood

Generation 31 (The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)

Cantis Island
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cantis Island » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:12 pm

Here's the difference between the two:

Hunger Games Secretly a detailed guide on how to break a young girl's mind. Also, a more family-friendly version of Battle Royale

Twilight The importance in having a boyfriend and why should try necrophilia.

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:13 pm

Vitius wrote:
Nationstatelandsville wrote:So, instead of a whiny girl we get a boring girl? Instead of vampires and werewolves we get a dystopia? Instead of a werewolf with a shirt phobia we get an annoying asshole? Instead of a brooding stalker we get... a brooding stalker?

You're totally right. They are nothing alike. Hunger Games sucked in it's own unique way.

Wow. Just wow.

Can you tell me how the Hunger Games sucked? I just want to hear why you think it's a poor series.

I really think that Collins is a pretty good author. I read her Underland series back in elementary school and enjoyed it immensely.

The only semblance of a personality that Katniss had was brooding, both love interests were flat characters, the whole "America breaks apart" storyline is way overdone, and Panem was trying so hard to be Oceania without actually being Oceania. None of the characters clicked, none of the situations were at all that exciting, and the rebellion was completely shoehorned in.
"Then I was fertilized and grew wise;
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a work to a work I was led to a work."
- Odin, Hávamál 138-141, the Poetic Edda, as translated by Dan McCoy.

I enjoy meta-humor and self-deprecation. Annoying, right?

Goodbye.

AETEN II
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby AETEN II » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:29 pm

Fuck it, I'll take Battlefield: Earth over both movies.

Hunger Games is just sad, sad proof at the way our cinema is dying. Damn action movies. I love Star Wars and LOTR, but dammit, I wish movies where still things that required you to think or had complex plots, like the Godfather and Memento. WHY CINEMA, WHY MUST YOU DIE SUCH A DEATH? AT LEAST GIVE ME A TRUE SCIENCE FICTION EPIC BEFORE YOU BREATHE YOUR LAST!
"Quod Vult, Valde Valt"

Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put out in K.P.

Nationstatelandsville wrote:"Why'd the chicken cross the street?"

"Because your dad's a whore."

"...He died a week ago."

"Of syphilis, I bet."

Best Gif on the internet.

Vitius
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vitius » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:40 pm

Nationstatelandsville wrote:
Vitius wrote:Can you tell me how the Hunger Games sucked? I just want to hear why you think it's a poor series.

I really think that Collins is a pretty good author. I read her Underland series back in elementary school and enjoyed it immensely.

The only semblance of a personality that Katniss had was brooding, both love interests were flat characters, the whole "America breaks apart" storyline is way overdone, and Panem was trying so hard to be Oceania without actually being Oceania. None of the characters clicked, none of the situations were at all that exciting, and the rebellion was completely shoehorned in.

Sorry if it seems like in my argument I'm going to refer to the characters being real. I don't mean to:

1.) She (the character) was trained to kill. She dealt with traumatic experiences. Her dad's dead. I would expect some sort of brooding.
2.) It's overdone? I've never read another split-apart America story :/ But if it's not broken, why fix it? I think pie is a little over done, but hey, don't get rid of it. I love pie. And it really just gets ideas from America geographically. It'd be different if Collins wrote a whole timeline on how America fell apart and what-not, but she didn't.
3.) So every dystopia is just a version of those seen in 1984?
4.) How was the rebellion shoed in? The ending of the Games in the first book was a huge symbol of rebellion in that it showed they could defy the Capitol despite beliefs otherwise. You think the whole background with the Mockingjay in the first book and how it only worked against the Capitol in the big war was just random? Or what Katniss did with Rue? No, the whole series was meant to be about rebellion.
Bambi Praxis wrote:
4years wrote:Hitler was worse, but I hate stalin more.

Maintain the rage! Spell the bastard's name without a capital letter, that will settle the score!
Proud Reform Jew

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:51 pm

AETEN II wrote:Fuck it, I'll take Battlefield: Earth over both movies.

Hunger Games is just sad, sad proof at the way our cinema is dying. Damn action movies. I love Star Wars and LOTR, but dammit, I wish movies where still things that required you to think or had complex plots, like the Godfather and Memento. WHY CINEMA, WHY MUST YOU DIE SUCH A DEATH? AT LEAST GIVE ME A TRUE SCIENCE FICTION EPIC BEFORE YOU BREATHE YOUR LAST!

I think the saddest part is that you are only treating both of these as motion pictures and not works of literature.
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:00 pm

Vitius wrote:

Sorry if it seems like in my argument I'm going to refer to the characters being real. I don't mean to:

1.) She (the character) was trained to kill. She dealt with traumatic experiences. Her dad's dead. I would expect some sort of brooding.

I don't read fiction to listen to some annoying girl contemplate how bad her life sucks. Realism should never get in the way of a good story.

Vitius wrote:2.) It's overdone? I've never read another split-apart America story :/ But if it's not broken, why fix it? I think pie is a little over done, but hey, don't get rid of it. I love pie. And it really just gets ideas from America geographically. It'd be different if Collins wrote a whole timeline on how America fell apart and what-not, but she didn't.

I like pie, too. But is this about pie? No, it's about literature. Literature bakes faster than pie.

Vitius wrote:3.) So every dystopia is just a version of those seen in 1984?

No, but this was. Mysterious leader? Check. Odd ways to keep the people in line? Check. A class of citizens allotted freedom to shut them up? Check.

Vitius wrote:4.) How was the rebellion shoed in? The ending of the Games in the first book was a huge symbol of rebellion in that it showed they could defy the Capitol despite beliefs otherwise. You think the whole background with the Mockingjay in the first book and how it only worked against the Capitol in the big war was just random? Or what Katniss did with Rue? No, the whole series was meant to be about rebellion.

The two plots didn't mesh well. At all.

Goodbye.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:01 pm

Vitius wrote:3.) So every dystopia is just a version of those seen in 1984?

No, but this was. Mysterious leader? Check. Odd ways to keep the people in line? Check. A class of citizens allotted freedom to shut them up? Check.

I don't think 1984 had quite as bad a case of "My Parents Went to Ancient Rome And All I Got Was This Stupid T-Shirt".
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:01 pm

Astrolinium wrote:

I don't think 1984 had quite as bad a case of "My Parents Went to Ancient Rome And All I Got Was This Stupid T-Shirt".

No, but that's beside the point.

Goodbye.

Libete
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Libete » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:06 pm

Giovenith wrote:
Libete wrote:I never understood the whole "Team Edward" and "Team Jacob" thing. THEY'RE NOT REAL. Besides, we all know who she's gonna end up with so.... pointless. Whereas, with the Hunger Games (can't wait for the movie to come out btw) Katniss does what she wants and doesn't need either of the guys. She just chooses to be with one of them. There's no similarity. One is a sorry piece of literature while the other is a futuristic fantasy bundle of absolute joy. Even if you don't like the Hunger Games, you must admit: STILL not as gay as Twilight. At least there's a plot and unique characters.

Exactly.
Love Triangle =/= OMG! Just like Twilight, right??!?!?!

No. The Hunger Games aren't like Twilight, if that's what you're asking.
OR.... I agree love triangle doesn't equal same plot as Twilight.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination
Our New World Oceania wrote:Found it!
After searching vocously, I have discovered that THIS is the nation of Max Barry!

I AM A FEMALE. Please don't assume otherwise. Thanks.

Hassett
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 11, 2009
Anarchy

Postby Hassett » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:07 pm

Can't say, I've never read either but their reader demographics are similar.
Black and Yellow
Economic Left/Right: 8.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82
-Former United States
-Hassett: A History through Flags

Takaram
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Takaram » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:08 pm

As a piece of literature, I'd say Hunger Games is the better series. The fandom is the same, however, and they're still as bad as ever. :(

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:10 pm

Takaram wrote:As a piece of literature, I'd say Hunger Games is the better series. The fandom is the same, however, and they're still as bad as ever. :(

I swear, I am going to burn all puns involving bread forever.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:10 pm

Libete wrote:
Giovenith wrote:
Exactly.
Love Triangle =/= OMG! Just like Twilight, right??!?!?!

No. The Hunger Games aren't like Twilight, if that's what you're asking.
OR.... I agree love triangle doesn't equal same plot as Twilight.

Second one.
⟡ and in time, and in time, we will all be stars ⟡
she/her

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:11 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Takaram wrote:As a piece of literature, I'd say Hunger Games is the better series. The fandom is the same, however, and they're still as bad as ever. :(

There were bread puns?

I don't enough Latin to find them, clearly.

Goodbye.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:12 pm

Astrolinium wrote:

There were bread puns?

No, the ones the fandom makes. Jesus Christ, they're so bad they make an atheist Jew feel the need to say "Jesus Christ".
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:14 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
There were bread puns?

No, the ones the fandom makes. Jesus Christ, they're so bad they make an atheist Jew feel the need to say "Jesus Christ".

Oh... well, there is one. Peta.

I'm going to vomit.

Goodbye.

Oterro
Post Marshal

Founded: May 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:14 pm

Auburn-Newcastle wrote:Whats with all the hate for the Hunger Games?

What's with all the love? It's just a bland uninteresting book the internet has a gigantic boner for.
we, unlike the bourgeoisie, have nothing to lose and therefore our expression will be the only honest one, our words will be the only challenging ones and our art will be the one revolutionary expression. We need new noise and new voices and new canvases to become something more than the last poets of a useless generation.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:18 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
There were bread puns?

An atheist... who is also a Jew...?
I may just be stupid, but I'm not really sure I get what you just said.
she/her

Oterro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:20 pm

Giovenith wrote:An atheist... who is also a Jew...?

It's an ethnoreligious group.
we, unlike the bourgeoisie, have nothing to lose and therefore our expression will be the only honest one, our words will be the only challenging ones and our art will be the one revolutionary expression. We need new noise and new voices and new canvases to become something more than the last poets of a useless generation.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:23 pm

Giovenith wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:

An atheist... who is also a Jew...?

Oterro wrote:
Giovenith wrote:An atheist... who is also a Jew...?

It's an ethnoreligious group.

This.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Lyoneau
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lyoneau » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:25 pm

Oterro wrote:
Sunkistodia wrote:The allegations of her stealing the idea of battle royale are completely false. Look up where she got the inspiration for it.

No, you provide a source that it's a unique and wholly original idea.

One that isn't the author saying 'guys, guys, i totally made it up myself'.

First of all, almost no work is completely original. Many stories are really just based off of older stories/legends. These newer stories are basically the same, only they are told in a different way. But usually, the main theme and message of the story, as well as some major events, remain the same. The Hunger Games is based of the story of Theseus, from Greek mythology. Like Theseus, Katniss must fight an oppressive antagonist who forces a sacrifice to be made to them. The Hunger Games is also similar to Battle Royale in the sense that it's children/young adults fighting each other to the death.

Nothing is really a completely original idea. Shakespeare, one of the most well-respected and famous writers, wrote about stories from ancient times as well. Romeo and Juliet is really the story of Pyramus and Thisbe.

Second, I love the Hunger Games, and I hate Twilight :P

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:29 pm

Lyoneau wrote:
Oterro wrote:No, you provide a source that it's a unique and wholly original idea.

One that isn't the author saying 'guys, guys, i totally made it up myself'.

First of all, almost no work is completely original. Many stories are really just based off of older stories/legends. These newer stories are basically the same, only they are told in a different way. But usually, the main theme and message of the story, as well as some major events, remain the same. The Hunger Games is based of the story of Theseus, from Greek mythology. Like Theseus, Katniss must fight an oppressive antagonist who forces a sacrifice to be made to them. The Hunger Games is also similar to Battle Royale in the sense that it's children/young adults fighting each other to the death.

Nothing is really a completely original idea. Shakespeare, one of the most well-respected and famous writers, wrote about stories from ancient times as well. Romeo and Juliet is really the story of Pyramus and Thisbe.

Second, I love the Hunger Games, and I hate Twilight :P

This.
she/her

Takaram
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Takaram » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:31 pm

Honestly, what pisses me off is how people react towards the Hunger Games. When I read them, I found them to be enjoyable pieces of fluff reading. Sure, the characters were a bit flat and the story was derived from plenty of other works, but they were still told in a manner that was pleasant enough to read. Now that I'm actually listening to people talk about them, though, I've kind of started to hate them for what they've spawned. I mean, you'd think that the books had been taken directly out of a chest in Shakespeare's attic the way people talk about them.

Oterro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:38 pm

Lyoneau wrote:First of all, almost no work is completely original.

Yet most works strive to maintain a sense of originality.
Lyoneau wrote: Many stories are really just based off of older stories/legends. These newer stories are basically the same, only they are told in a different way.

Which renders them redundant when they're being told in a worse manner, hm?
Lyoneau wrote:Nothing is really a completely original idea. Shakespeare, one of the most well-respected and famous writers, wrote about stories from ancient times as well. Romeo and Juliet is really the story of Pyramus and Thisbe.

But Shakespeare is not praised for his plots, which are very typical and more than once were completely stolen, iirc, he's praised for his prose and exploration of themes.

I don't see anything redeeming as that in The Hunger Games.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction