NATION

PASSWORD

Hunger Games Vs Twilight

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.
Sunkistodia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Hunger Games Vs Twilight

Postby Sunkistodia » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:06 pm

Okay so the Hunger games movie is coming out later this month. It is personally my FAVORITE book(s) ever, thought there are a few things I would like to discuss.

1. HG is NOT Twilight. I hate twilight. All it is is a whiney girl who loves this guy but then another guy comes and she complains about EVERYTHING. She can't live without some guy right next to her. The hunger games is an action packed thriller about a Girl named Katniss who is forced to kill for survival and to protect her family. IT IS WAY BETTER THAN TWILIGHT.

2. The only similarity between HG and Twilight is the whole 2 guy and 1 girl thing. That is also my ONLY and I repeat, ONLY
complaint about Hg. But it is not exactly like twilight, for Katniss could live without Peeta.... Gale is more her brother than anything.

3. People keep saying "team gale" or "team peeta". Shut the freaking crap up for all that is Holy in this world. I have Slapped people for saying that. Dead serious.

Also, what is your opinion? As i said, it is my favorite book ever...
Proud member of The Anti Democracy League and the Coalition of Religious Nations!
Mallorea and Riva should not resign, but gameplay and roleplay should be kept separate
Speaking of roleplay, check out Sunkistodia's Factbook
This is a theocratic nation that uses NS stats and is in the slave trade

Sunkistodia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Sunkistodia » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:13 pm

BUMP
Proud member of The Anti Democracy League and the Coalition of Religious Nations!
Mallorea and Riva should not resign, but gameplay and roleplay should be kept separate

Oterro
Post Marshal

Founded: May 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:32 pm

I'll just leave this here.
Sunkistodia wrote:I have Slapped people for saying that. Dead serious.

Horrible.
we, unlike the bourgeoisie, have nothing to lose and therefore our expression will be the only honest one, our words will be the only challenging ones and our art will be the one revolutionary expression. We need new noise and new voices and new canvases to become something more than the last poets of a useless generation.

Sunkistodia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Sunkistodia » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:33 pm

Oterro wrote:I'll just leave this here.
Sunkistodia wrote:I have Slapped people for saying that. Dead serious.

Horrible.

The allegations of her stealing the idea of battle royale are completely false. Look up where she got the inspiration for it.

Oterro
Post Marshal

Founded: May 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:34 pm

Sunkistodia wrote:The allegations of her stealing the idea of battle royale are completely false. Look up where she got the inspiration for it.

No, you provide a source that it's a unique and wholly original idea.

One that isn't the author saying 'guys, guys, i totally made it up myself'.
we, unlike the bourgeoisie, have nothing to lose and therefore our expression will be the only honest one, our words will be the only challenging ones and our art will be the one revolutionary expression. We need new noise and new voices and new canvases to become something more than the last poets of a useless generation.

Sunkistodia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Sunkistodia » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:39 pm

Her father was in the air force of... Britain I believe... So that is how she knew about the fear of losing a loved one.

She also says she was surfing the Tevo when she saw a game show and a news station covering the iraq war. She connected that with Greek mythology, and BOOM! Came the Hunger Games.

Also, you expect all ideas to be original? There are plenty of books similar. The long walk, Battle Royale, ETC ETC. You can't expect all books to be different.

But you can't say she stole them.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:45 pm

Hunger Games - Terrible

Twilight - Terrible

Who cares about the rest?
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:49 pm

One of them is the American version of Battle Royale. Oh wow. Must have been written by BioWare's writing team.

The other is Twilight. This is difficult because it too must have been written by BioWare's writing team.

What, too soon?
Last edited by Norstal on Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:52 pm

Norstal wrote:One of them is the American version of Battle Royale. Oh wow. Must have been written by BioWare's writing team.

The other is Twilight. This is difficult because it too must have been written by BioWare's writing team.

What, too soon?

EA. We're blaming it on EA. :p
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:56 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Norstal wrote:One of them is the American version of Battle Royale. Oh wow. Must have been written by BioWare's writing team.

What, too soon?

EA. We're blaming it on EA. :p

Fair enough.

As to the OP, I guess I wouldn't blame you for liking the book. Battle Royale is an older book compared to Hunger Games, but eh. I'd prefer that one than Twilight, if I were to make a choice.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Idaho Conservatives
Minister

Founded: Jul 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Idaho Conservatives » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:18 pm

I always thought that Hunger Games was just a kid-friendly version of The Running Man. And of course, Twilight is infamous. So I'd say they both suck.
Last edited by Idaho Conservatives on Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way" --General George S. Patton

If You're A Fellow Ham, TG me!!!
KF7LCE

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:42 pm

A-FREAKING-MEN!!!!!

Everything I've been trying to say! I swear, if I hear ANYONE say "Team..." as the theater when I go see the movie...

Guys, about the whole "Battle Royale" thing: neither of them are the first to write a book involving kids slaughtering each other. Both were heavily derived from things like gladiator duels.
Last edited by Giovenith on Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
⟡ and in time, and in time, we will all be stars ⟡
she/her

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:47 pm

Oterro wrote:
Sunkistodia wrote:The allegations of her stealing the idea of battle royale are completely false. Look up where she got the inspiration for it.

No, you provide a source that it's a unique and wholly original idea.

One that isn't the author saying 'guys, guys, i totally made it up myself'.

How exactly do you PROVE something is original?
she/her

Azrael
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Azrael » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:45 pm

Haven't read either book (although my parents got me HG this Christmas, so I'll probably give it a try) but I think they're just overrated pieces of literature intended to allow kids to say "Ooh! I read fantasy and science fiction!" I'm not calling them bad books (although I do think Twilight is utter garbage from what I know about the plot), just nothing too special.

Hmm. I knew the plot of HG seemed familiar...
If nothing exists, where did this anger come from?

Gallade
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Gallade » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:47 am

Interwebz, please stop comparing books I love to Twilight, it makes me die a little inside.
|| Miss me with that factional BS || RIP Dyakovo. You were a true friend, you will be forever missed. ||

Français, en guerriers magnanimes, portez ou retenez vos coups! Épargnez ces tristes victimes à regret s'armant contre nous
My TG box is for friends, not food
Feel like making a direct change rather than just bickering over crises?
Help give orphaned children a safe environment to grow
Combat Homelessness

Utopia FTW
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Utopia FTW » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:02 pm

Sounds like twilight set in a dystopian alternate universe.
Squeeze me tightly and I'll fart politely

Sunkistodia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Sunkistodia » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:14 pm

Utopia FTW wrote:Sounds like twilight set in a dystopian alternate universe.

you will die alone and painfully,

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:51 pm

So, instead of a whiny girl we get a boring girl? Instead of vampires and werewolves we get a dystopia? Instead of a werewolf with a shirt phobia we get an annoying asshole? Instead of a brooding stalker we get... a brooding stalker?

You're totally right. They are nothing alike. Hunger Games sucked in it's own unique way.

Sunkistodia wrote:
Utopia FTW wrote:Sounds like twilight set in a dystopian alternate universe.

Wow. Just wow.
"Then I was fertilized and grew wise;
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a work to a work I was led to a work."
- Odin, Hávamál 138-141, the Poetic Edda, as translated by Dan McCoy.

I enjoy meta-humor and self-deprecation. Annoying, right?

Goodbye.

Vitius
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vitius » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:57 pm

I really hope the fan base won't ruin the movie for me. It shouldn't, but I got a People magazine special edition about the movie, and there were tons of references to 'Team Peeta', 'Team Gale', etc.

Maybe it will attract some more attention to the movie from teenage girls, but it'll just be completely ruined for guys like me. Quite honestly, this was the only book series I've ever read (and I read a lot) with a main character being a girl. Same with a lot of my friends. The Twilight-y stuff is just disrespecting the series and the film.
Bambi Praxis wrote:
4years wrote:Hitler was worse, but I hate stalin more.

Maintain the rage! Spell the bastard's name without a capital letter, that will settle the score!
Proud Reform Jew

Libete
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Libete » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:59 pm

I never understood the whole "Team Edward" and "Team Jacob" thing. THEY'RE NOT REAL. Besides, we all know who she's gonna end up with so.... pointless. Whereas, with the Hunger Games (can't wait for the movie to come out btw) Katniss does what she wants and doesn't need either of the guys. She just chooses to be with one of them. There's no similarity. One is a sorry piece of literature while the other is a futuristic fantasy bundle of absolute joy. Even if you don't like the Hunger Games, you must admit: STILL not as gay as Twilight. At least there's a plot and unique characters.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination
Our New World Oceania wrote:Found it!
After searching vocously, I have discovered that THIS is the nation of Max Barry!

I AM A FEMALE. Please don't assume otherwise. Thanks.

Vitius
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vitius » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:59 pm

Nationstatelandsville wrote:So, instead of a whiny girl we get a boring girl? Instead of vampires and werewolves we get a dystopia? Instead of a werewolf with a shirt phobia we get an annoying asshole? Instead of a brooding stalker we get... a brooding stalker?

You're totally right. They are nothing alike. Hunger Games sucked in it's own unique way.

Sunkistodia wrote:

Wow. Just wow.

Can you tell me how the Hunger Games sucked? I just want to hear why you think it's a poor series.

I really think that Collins is a pretty good author. I read her Underland series back in elementary school and enjoyed it immensely.
Bambi Praxis wrote:
4years wrote:Hitler was worse, but I hate stalin more.

Maintain the rage! Spell the bastard's name without a capital letter, that will settle the score!
Proud Reform Jew

Jolleus
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Jolleus » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:03 pm

Sunkistodia wrote:Okay so the Hunger games movie is coming out later this month. It is personally my FAVORITE book(s) ever, thought there are a few things I would like to discuss.

1. HG is NOT Twilight. I hate twilight. All it is is a whiney girl who loves this guy but then another guy comes and she complains about EVERYTHING. She can't live without some guy right next to her. The hunger games is an action packed thriller about a Girl named Katniss who is forced to kill for survival and to protect her family. IT IS WAY BETTER THAN TWILIGHT.

2. The only similarity between HG and Twilight is the whole 2 guy and 1 girl thing. That is also my ONLY and I repeat, ONLY
complaint about Hg. But it is not exactly like twilight, for Katniss could live without Peeta.... Gale is more her brother than anything.

3. People keep saying "team gale" or "team peeta". Shut the freaking crap up for all that is Holy in this world. I have Slapped people for saying that. Dead serious.

Also, what is your opinion? As i said, it is my favorite book ever...

The Hunger Games were a great series of books. Not my favorite ever (that title belongs to The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles by Julie Andrews Edwards. Ahh, childhood...), but a great series nonetheless. I'm interested in seeing how the movie turns out, but what I really want to see is John Carter. I read the Martian Chronicles a couple months before I heard that the movie was coming out, and so I knew that I had to watch the movie. Anyways, back to Hunger Games (almost started a thread derailment): I really find the idea of a "death-tournament" intriguing, and I like the theme presented in the books that there's no defining boundary between good guys and bad guys.
Last edited by Jolleus on Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud creator of the Tiger Pit RP franchise.
Tiger Pit Arena
Tiger Pit: New Blood

Generation 31 (The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)

Auburn-Newcastle
Attaché

Founded: Jun 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Auburn-Newcastle » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:04 pm

Whats with all the hate for the Hunger Games? Is it just because it has a movie that is coming out in a few days? Anyhow from the little I've seen and read, Twilight is just... I don't know its not a abomination but its not good ether. Oh Hi Sunk long time since I've seen you.

Auburn-Newcastle
Attaché

Founded: Jun 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Auburn-Newcastle » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:04 pm

Wth happend? Sorry my computer freaked out.
Last edited by Auburn-Newcastle on Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:04 pm

Libete wrote:I never understood the whole "Team Edward" and "Team Jacob" thing. THEY'RE NOT REAL. Besides, we all know who she's gonna end up with so.... pointless. Whereas, with the Hunger Games (can't wait for the movie to come out btw) Katniss does what she wants and doesn't need either of the guys. She just chooses to be with one of them. There's no similarity. One is a sorry piece of literature while the other is a futuristic fantasy bundle of absolute joy. Even if you don't like the Hunger Games, you must admit: STILL not as gay as Twilight. At least there's a plot and unique characters.

Exactly.
Love Triangle =/= OMG! Just like Twilight, right??!?!?!
she/her

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction